At most I get to 18 medals. Canada has an awful World Championship to Olympic medal conversion rate. And there is absolutely no way Canada will come close to Barcelona's 7 gold medals.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We weren't pissing on your cornflakes, so take your racist records and piss off.

Canada Olympic uniforms unveiled

Nope! Surprising decision but that was the plan since 2014 apparently.

Here is my simulated team size.

Archery: 3 (all men. The men finished with silver at the test event, and looks like they have improved quite a bit, atp its a toss up if they all qualify).

Athletics: 61 (more can qualify).

Badminton: 4 (men's and women's singles + one doubles event, from a continental reallocation).

Basketball: 24 (men's and women's teams. Hopefully the men can qualify).

Beach volleyball: 8 (2 men's and women's pairs)

Boxing: 3 (don't think any will qualify in the world tournaments).

Canoeing: 8; 2 in slalom and 6 in flatwater (4 in men's kayak, 1 in canoeing and 1 in women's kayak; Oldershaw or the C2 cannot qualify do to quota rules).

Cycling: 18; 6 in road cycling, 1 in bmx, 4 in mountain biking and 7 or 8 in track (depends on if Beveridge competes in the team pursuit)

Diving: 8 (4 men and 4 women)

Equestrian: 10 (qualification is complete).

Fencing: 6 (one in each individual event)

Field hockey: 16 (men's team)

Football: 18 (women's team)

Golf: 4 (2 in each gender currently in qualification position, this is the maximum team size)

Gymnastics: 8; 6 in artistic (women's team and one man), 2 in trampoline (one in each event)

Judo: 7 (currently 7 in qualification position; unlikely any other athletes move up into a qualification spot)/

Modern pentathlon: 2 (both women, one is qualified already, the other will qualify through the rankings as she is 5th)

Rowing: 30 (currently 22 qualified in 6 events.The men's and women's quad sculls should qualify at the worlds, as only one both per gender can qualify at that event).

Rugby sevens: 24 (men's and women's tournament, hopefully the men qualify)

Sailing: 13 (13 qualified in 9 events)

Shooting: 2 (both women)

Swimming: 24 (same as the worlds)

Synchro: 2 (duet)

Table tennis: 2 (one man and one woman, the men's team is unlikely to qualify)

Taekwondo: 1 (qualification is over)

Tennis: 5 (Raonic, Nestor, Pospisil, Shamsadin and Bouchard)

Triathlon: 5 (5 currently in qualification position; 2 men and 3 women)

Volleyball: 12 (men's team)

Water polo: 12 (men's team, this might be a stretch but the draw is favourable for Canada at the final tournament).

Weightlifting: 2 (one man and one woman)

Wrestling: 9 (7 are already qualified, I expect Garcia and Gill to qualify at the worlds, though it will be tough)

Total: 351

Archery: 3 (all men. The men finished with silver at the test event, and looks like they have improved quite a bit, atp its a toss up if they all qualify).

Given that Colombia, Mexico and the USA cannot qualify through the continental championships, I would be shocked in Kateri Vrakking didn't qualify

As far as I know Athletics Canada has yet to release qualifying standards which have been higher then IAAF since Athens. So I am thinking that 45+/- 3 is more realistic

Badminton: 4 (men's and women's singles + one doubles event, from a continental reallocation).

Currently only 2 in qualification position and 1 is tenous

I'd like to believe the men will qualify, but I don't

It will be interesting at the world tournament, but unfortunately Boxing Canada performed about as well as one could expect

Canoeing: 8; 2 in slalom and 6 in flatwater (4 in men's kayak, 1 in canoeing and 1 in women's kayak; Oldershaw or the C2 cannot qualify do to quota rules).

Canada has qualified 3 in slalom, men's and women's K and men's C. Argentina has already qualified 4 women, that will be an advantage to Canada and the USA with redistribution. Unfortunately qualification depends a lot on backroom deals

Cycling: 18; 6 in road cycling, 1 in bmx, 4 in mountain biking and 7 or 8 in track (depends on if Beveridge competes in the team pursuit)

It depends on if Cycling Canada thinks Beveridge has a chance at a medal in the omnium. But even then, her main competitors are all going to be pulling double duty

Redistribution hasn't been official yet

There has yet to be redistribution and there is one quota place left in Dressage, which a Canadian is up for. That would allow for a composite team

Golf: 4 (2 in each gender currently in qualification position, this is the maximum team size)

Gymnastics: 8; 6 in artistic (women's team and one man), 2 in trampoline (one in each event)

Judo: 7 (currently 7 in qualification position; unlikely any other athletes move up into a qualification spot)/

Modern pentathlon: 2 (both women, one is qualified already, the other will qualify through the rankings as she is 5th)

Rowing: 30 (currently 22 qualified in 6 events.The men's and women's quad sculls should qualify at the worlds, as only one both per gender can qualify at that event).

Canada has been playing **** against the weak teams so far this year with loses against Kenya, Russia, Portugal amongst others. But wins against Australia, England, Samoa and France.

Water polo: 12 (men's team, this might be a stretch but the draw is favourable for Canada at the final tournament).

Wrestling: 9 (7 are already qualified, I expect Garcia and Gill to qualify at the worlds, though it will be tough)

Given that Colombia, Mexico and the USA cannot qualify through the continental championships, I would be shocked in Kateri Vrakking didn't qualify

As far as I know Athletics Canada has yet to release qualifying standards which have been higher then IAAF since Athens. So I am thinking that 45+/- 3 is more realistic

Currently only 2 in qualification position and 1 is tenous

I'd like to believe the men will qualify, but I don't

It will be interesting at the world tournament, but unfortunately Boxing Canada performed about as well as one could expect

Canada has qualified 3 in slalom, men's and women's K and men's C. Argentina has already qualified 4 women, that will be an advantage to Canada and the USA with redistribution. Unfortunately qualification depends a lot on backroom deals

It depends on if Cycling Canada thinks Beveridge has a chance at a medal in the omnium. But even then, her main competitors are all going to be pulling double duty

Redistribution hasn't been official yet

There has yet to be redistribution and there is one quota place left in Dressage, which a Canadian is up for. That would allow for a composite team

Canada has been playing **** against the weak teams so far this year with loses against Kenya, Russia, Portugal amongst others. But wins against Australia, England, Samoa and France.

Athletics standards

Beveridge won a gold at omnium world up event earlier

Canada returned the K1 women;s slalom quota (they can only qualify a maximum of two boats the continental championships)

Just got word Canada will only send a quad sculls boat (men) to the final qualifier. What ever happened to the women's quad sculls won silver at the worlds a couple years ago? Also the pairs boat for women will likely have two different women (so there goes a medal shot).

Day 2 of the Women's Water Polo Olympic Qualification Tournament in Gouda (Netherlands)

CAN 17 RSA 2 yesterday

CAN 7 USA 14 today

Next games for Canada : Greece, Japan and Spain

Men's Tournament will start April 3th in Trieste (Italy)

Third consecutive Summer Olympics the Canadian women's national water polo team will not qualify for after Gouda, Netherlands. The first two was more about their youth and lack of international experience. What's it going to take now? Some luck on their side, for sure.

Well its ridiculous that there are only 8 teams on the women's side.

Agreed. Surely even the 2008 gold medalists Netherlands (and maybe Germany) would add competitive depth too if the field expanded to 12. Hopefully Tokyo 2020. If that expansion were to happen, South Africa would also get the African spot.

Agreed. Surely even the 2008 gold medalists Netherlands (and maybe Germany) would add competitive depth too if the field expanded to 12. Hopefully Tokyo 2020. If that expansion were to happen, South Africa would also get the African spot.

Germany sucks but Netherlands appears to be the odd team out. I bet they would have advanced in a round robin format like volleyball has.

I know intoronto has been a proponent of this, and I agree with him, that football should be downsized to 12 teams (the competition is second-tier anyways and doesn't require 16 teams), and women's water polo should take the extra quota to move up to 12 teams.

Canada opened the Men's Water Polo qualification with a 7-6 win over Russia. Strong start for them, now they have Hungary up next, followed by Romania, France and Slovakia. Wins against Romania, France and Slovakia would set up a very winnable quarterfinal against Netherlands or Germany and qualification.

Edited by Faster

Mixed bag at the first day of the Canadian Swimming trials.

3 women qualified (McLean in the 400 free, Oleksiak and Thomas in the 100 butterfly) Both McLean and Oleksiak beat the national record and would have medalled at the WC's last summer with those times. Oleksiak is only 15 btw!!

The men missed out in 3 events (200 free, 100 breast and 400im).

Mixed bag at the first day of the Canadian Swimming trials.

3 women qualified (McLean in the 400 free, Oleksiak and Thomas in the 100 butterfly) Both McLean and Oleksiak beat the national record and would have medalled at the WC's last summer with those times. Oleksiak is only 15 btw!!

The men missed out in 3 events (200 free, 100 breast and 400im).

Only the 200 free was a surprise. Jason Block missed by 0.02s. That's painful.

They will not.

Really unfortunate considering Bagshaw (I think it is him) has swam the OQT in competition and block was 0.02s off of OQT and will be offered a redistributed quota because that will surely be one of the best times not qualified.

So it will be Canada vs. Netherlands for an Olympic spot in water polo barring a surprising German victory over Italy. Canada has played very strongly against Hungary and France, good against Russia and poor against Romania and Slovakia. Hopefully they play like they did against Hungary and come out with a win and an Olympic birth.