Canada in Rio.

5 minutes ago, Faster said:

Evan Dunfee finished 4th. He was passing the Japanese athlete for 3rd when the Japanese guy nailed him in the back. 

Eric Lamaze rode clear again (only rider to go clear for the entire competition) and is into the finals. 13 riders went clear. So it will be an interesting final.

Any grounds for a dq?

it was a dirty elbow. i started watching it because darcy wouldn't shut up about the race. it was especially dirty to do to a polite canadian, who would have probably moved out of the way and said a breathless sore-y if the situation had been reversed.

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Appeal is successful. Dunfee gets the bronze, but the Japanese will likely counter appeal

AFAIK once an appeal is launched, reviewed and decision announced there is no longer grounds for appeal within IAAF. The only way I could see the Japanese try anything is if Abby Hoffman didn't recuse herself of involvement in the decision.

Appeal is successful. Dunfee gets the bronze, but the Japanese will likely counter appeal

AFAIK once an appeal is launched, reviewed and decision announced there is no longer grounds for appeal within IAAF. The only way I could see the Japanese try anything is if Abby Hoffman didn't recuse herself of involvement in the decision.

So gutted for Eric Lamaze, one fault in the entire competition and it comes in the jump-off.

Edited by Faster

16 minutes ago, Faster said:

So gutted for Eric Lamaze, one fault in the entire competition and it comes in the jump-off.

He would have won gold, had older rules been in place (people with faults in qualifiers are not allowed to compete in the tiebreak for medals).

26 minutes ago, Faster said:

@intoronto What are the chances Melanie McCann is in medal contention at the end of the modern pentathlon? I just cannot believe either Canadian is so far up the leaderboard.

Also since when is a Canadian on the FIFA ExCo? WTF

Depends on her equestrian performance. If she can do well with a horse she doesn't know (like all athletes) she has a chance at a medal. 

Victor was elected as the president of CONCACAF recently, and that automatically places him on the ExCO

So medal chances left

Canada in 4x100m relay

Melissa Bishop in 800m

Mark de Jong in K1 200m

Catharine Prendal and Emily Batty in Women's Cross-Country Mountain Biking

de Jong didn't look great this morning. So 2 more medals to match Atlanta's total. So need to go 50% on remaining medal chances. Unless McCann can give the most shocking result in my memory for a medal.

Partially. Canada would have still done incredibly well in Los Angeles given that it was the Olympics with some of the greatest Canadian summer athletes. But yea at least 40% of those medals wouldn't have been won if there had been a full field. So for comparisons sake Los Angeles really is a 22 to 27 medal total. Canadians generally view the medals won by Davis and Baumann as not tainted because they were won with world records or near world records.