Canada in Rio.

Canada has the same amount of gold/silver (7) it had in London, with more bronze. So our conversion rate is better. OTP might be helping as well, but a 3 medal improvement might be seen as a disappointment behind closed doors. Also 9!! finishes that were 4th in events such as swimming, or one win away from a guaranteed medal (combative sports). 

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada has the same amount of gold/silver (7) it had in London, with more bronze. So our conversion rate is better. OTP might be helping as well, but a 3 medal improvement might be seen as a disappointment behind closed doors. Also 9!! finishes that were 4th in events such as swimming, or one win away from a guaranteed medal (combative sports). 

I hope the investments in Swimming and Athletics increase after the performance at these games. This is where the bulk of the medals are. Penny Oleksiak and Andre de Grasse will be gold medal favourites come time for Tokyo 2020. And the great thing is they're so young and have lots of years ahead of them. Hopefully the male swimmers will fully develop and medal the next games.

Edited by dave199

8 minutes ago, dave199 said:

I hope the investments in Swimming and Athletics increase after the performance at these games. This is where the bulk of the medals are. Penny Oleksiak and Andre de Grasse will be gold medal favourites come time for Tokyo 2020. And the great thing is they're so young and have lots of years ahead of them. Hopefully the male swimmers will fully develop and medal the next games.

Male swimming outside Condorelli and maybe Kisil is a disaster. The 2015 World juniors foreshadowed Canada's performance here.

Also look out for 20 year old decathlete Pierce Lapage, he has the potential to win gold.

15 minutes ago, Faster said:

First time since Barcelona that Canada hasn't won a medal in canoe/kayak. Very disappointing and will damage the sport for the future.

Future does not look bright at all. There is no one to replace De Jonge, Oldershaw and AVK (who are all likely to retire). 

However with the C1200 and C2 500 event for women being contested for Tokyo, that should in theory be 2 medals for Canada. 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Bishop lost to three men

there's more to being a woman than just testosterone levels, it should be pointed out. whether or not they should be allowed to compete with women with lower levels, i won't debate. i think a lot of people have mixed feelings on the issue (although bishop's levels have never been tested so we don't exactly know what kind of advantage there was to begin with).

in any event, they were cleared to compete and i understand and respect that decision, because it couldn't have been an easy one to make.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

there's more to being a woman than just testosterone levels, it should be pointed out. whether or not they should be allowed to compete with women with lower levels, i won't debate. i think a lot of people have mixed feelings on the issue (although bishop's levels have never been tested so we don't exactly know what kind of advantage there was to begin with).

in any event, they were cleared to compete and i understand and respect that decision, because it couldn't have been an easy one to make.

Yeah. I think we had all the debates and soul searching about Caster back in, what, 2009? I think it was pretty well settled that it would be an incredible injustice to settle it otherwise than it was. 

reading this thread you'd get the impression that the greater injustice was depriving desperate canadians of a badly-needed gold medal to salvage their wounded pride.

remember, this is the country that wanted japan DQed last night for an errant toenail on the line.

10 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

Doping tests show the level of testosterone in someone's body, afaik ... I might be wrong. I am sure Bishop has been tested before. 

However the IAAF came to a decision which required women with higher than normal testosterone levels to take pill to reduce their levels to a fair amount. This puts everyone on a fair playing field. The CAS overturned that, and now the playing field is not fair. 

2 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

reading this thread you'd get the impression that the greater injustice was depriving desperate canadians of a badly-needed gold medal to salvage their wounded pride.

remember, this is the country that wanted japan DQed last night for an errant toenail on the line.

Canada and Canadians are fairly happy with how Rio has gone. Yea it sucks for Bishop to be competing in an event that is the centre of this controversy. But she ran a Canadian record in an event where a Canadian record is internationally competitive. That is all we can ask of our athletes. 

With the 4 DQ's over the last 4 years because a Canadian has run on the line at the Olympics/CWG/Pan Ams/WC to see Japan do it and the IAAF be like, well it was in a straight-away so doesn't count. And it wasn't a toenail, it was the entire foot.

It is really hard to judge these Olympics.

There are arguments to be made for them being successful for Canada and for them to have not been a success.

Pros:

Emergence of a number of young, talented athletes that could be the backbone of Canada's team in Tokyo 2020

Best gold medal performance in 24 years

Cons

Had more top two finishes at Athens 2004 which are the dark times for Canadian sport.

Two World Champions not winning a medal

So many bronze

So in the grand scheme of things I would say that Rio 2016 ranks behind Beijing, Atlanta and Barcelona for performances by a Canadian team.

It also bothers me a lot when the Canadian high performance director states that they intentionally undercut funding for male Olympians because betting on women in weaker fields is the smart money. Men's volleyball needs a better coach for instance and that will require money and a foreign coach. There were a number of games that Canada lost because they were out-coached or were losing and didn't make necessary adjustments.

I think Canada did well despite poor performances from a lot of sports. 

Cycling, Swimming and Athletics need to be the top priorities in the next four years.

Canoe/kayak needs to get it together and rowing needs to refocus on doing what Canada does really well. And that is the 8's. 

Hopefully despite the lack of medal judo continues to be funded well with the talent in that system.

Edited by Faster