Canada in Rio.

Team Canada was just barely outclassed by France in the QFs in another bitter heartbreak 68-63 with little defense. Just a bit not as talented and deep as the USA, but France is heavily internationally experienced with vets possessing a really deep frontcourt and a swarming defense--and really should've been Eurobasket Womens champs more times than they are (like in the last two including as hosts in 2013). Canada certainly gave it their all. but need more international experience and improve their depth. No open looks to take advantage with their D. Hopefully they'll be better medal contenders in Tokyo (and hopefully will include their basketball brothers when they at last qualify):

https://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/2016/08/16/canadas-womens-basketball-team-out-of-medal-contention-in-rio.html

Mixed bag kinda day.

No medals, but some promising results.

Melissa Bishop looks good in the 800m

Andre de Grasse looks going in the 200m

Damian Warner is looking good in the decathlon (a lot of his close competitors aren't strong on day two). A PB in the hurdles or 1500m would do wonders. The shot put and that meter lose really strings.

I am thinking Canada won't win a medal in wrestling for the first time since Seoul. The draws for the combat sports have been awful this Olympics for Canada.

The Canadian K2 200m has an outside shot at a medal in the final. They do have some world cup results this year. But most likely no.

Brooke Henderson didn't have a great opening round. 

A more consistent series of dives for either Filion or Benfeito could see them medal.

I think Canada will probably only win 4 more medals. 200m, 4x100m, decathlon and k1 200m. So finish with 18, but more gold than London.

3 minutes ago, Faster said:

Andre de Grasse looks going in the 200m

he looks really promising, for tomorrow and for the future, but the better news is that honorary russian justin gatlin is out of the final, thank god.

your bmx hottie, who is like my new husband after marc if this were saudi arabia and i got four, isn't altogether a nonentity, as my slash fic research has turned up some WC/pan am podiums, but all you can do in that sport is watch and hope for the best (and a crash or two).

Nyhaug won't medal. Getting to the final would be his high point. If Canada wins another medal in cycling it will come from Prendal or Batty.

Just annoyed that there is still a lot of Canadians running/swimming slower in the semi-finals.

30 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

yeah it's almost as if just getting there is one of the most exhausting, physically demanding things on the planet.

The majority of athletes taper their performance. Going slower in the prelims then the semis and slower in the semis then the final. Canadians burst their load in the prelims and don't match it in the semis and go no where. Its the same every Olympics.

1 hour ago, Faster said:

Oh thank G-d. Erica Weibe is in the final. At least a silver medal and the continuation of a 24 years of Canadian success in wrestling.

So, so happy.

Btw, intoronto. Mian is ranked 10 positions higher than the next Canadian.

That ranking is a farce. People with one tournament win are ranked so high! There is no substance to it.

Last year Morrison won bronze at the worlds and she is ranked below Mian? lol what a joke

Damian Warner is giving me fits in the decathlon. He just cleared 4.70 on his last attempt. He really needs 4.90 to still have a chance at silver. Kevin Mayer is performing really well. There isn't much difference between Warner and Mayer in javelin and 1500m, but its still enough that Warner cannot give up 150+ points on the pole vault.

Just some random thoughts. Canada has 14 medals. Our best total medal performance is 22 medals in Atlanta 1996, and best gold medal performance is 7 at Barcelona 1992.

I cannot see a scenario where Canada matches the 7 from Barcelona. I think at most Canada will finish with 5 gold. There are only 3 more gold medal chances left, women's golf, 75kg+ women's wrestling and men's K1 200m. 

So medal chances left

Andre de Grasse in 200m

Canada in 4x100m relay

Damian Warner in Decathlon (this is only going to be a bronze at most now)

Melissa Bishop in 800m

Mark de Jong in K1 200m

Tory Nyhaug (in honour of Krow and his impressive quarter-final performance) in BMX

Catharine Prendal and Emily Batty in Women's Cross-Country Mountain Biking

Meaghan Benfeito in 10m diving (both have a chance of medalling if they dive consistently, but Meaghan just had the best round one dive)

Eric Lamaze in Individual Show Jumping

Canada in Women's Football - not going to happen

Brooke Henderson in Women's Golf - had an amazing second round

Erica Weibe in Women's 75kg+ Freestyle Wrestling

So need to convert 67% of medal chances left to get to 22 medals. Though if today goes well, Canada will have 18 medals.

Edited by Faster

I'm just not counting the medals before they hatch. Barber should prove that. Out of Canada's medal chances going into the Olympics, you'd have put that medal at in the top 4 of most likely going to happen.

Would love to see two more gold medals. 5 would be a fantastic results. Especially after London.

2 hours ago, Faster said:

I'm just not counting the medals before they hatch. Barber should prove that. Out of Canada's medal chances going into the Olympics, you'd have put that medal at in the top 4 of most likely going to happen.

Would love to see two more gold medals. 

And Wiebe's hatched the other.

Edited by Sir Rols

19 minutes ago, Faster said:

Damian Warner is also showing to not count the medals before they come home to roast. Warner has severely under performed in the throws and jumps. And currently needs to beat a Germany by about 6s in the 1500m to claim bronze.

Its actually the other way around. The German needs to beat Warner by 6.5 seconds to win Bronze.

Also this is the most successful games in terms of golds since Barcelona. This is also the first quad of funding from OTP I believe, so I believe that is doing its job. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Its actually the other way around. The German needs to beat Warner by 6.5 seconds to win Bronze.

Also this is the most successful games in terms of golds since Barcelona. This is also the first quad of funding from OTP I believe, so I believe that is doing its job. 

I posted that before Warner uncorked his 63m throw. At the time Warner was about 40 points behind Kazmirak. His last throw reversed that and with a 8s PB advantage over Kazmirak he should get the bronze. Which is a slight disappointment but Mayer has had an outstanding competition. Warner left a lot of points on the table in shot put, discus and pole vault but I don't think it would have been enough for the silver anyways.

So a near perfect day for Canada. 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze. Plus Brooke Henderson and Tory Hyhuag looked fantastic today. So to match Atlanta's total medals it would require going 50% from 67% at the start of the day.

Tomorrow brings chances for:

Tory Hyhuag - BMX

Men's 4x100m relay

Eric Lamaze in Show Jumping

Canadian National Women's Soccer Team

A perfect day tomorrow would probably see another 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze.

Evan Dunfee finished 4th. He was passing the Japanese athlete for 3rd when the Japanese guy nailed him in the back. 

Eric Lamaze rode clear again (only rider to go clear for the entire competition) and is into the finals. 13 riders went clear. So it will be an interesting final.