Canada in Rio.

The Binstock/Schachter duo won their ticket for Rio this afternoon in North Bay with a win against Pedlow/O'Gorman

First match in Rio will be saturday 6th in the morning against Alison/Bruno Schmidt (BRA), the 2015 World Champions

(Alison also won the Silver at the 2012 London Game wth another partner, Emanuel)

So, a very huge command for our canadians, but I will be in the stands with my canadian flag to cheer for them.

GO CANADA

My medal predictions for Canada:

Athletics: 6 - De Grasse in either the 100 or 200, Barber, Drouin, 4x100 relay (men), Warner, Brianne Theisen-Eaton. I don't think Bishop can beat three men ahead of her (sorry to be blunt).

Basketball: 1 - Women's team. Canada can beat any team in group A imo, but Spain/Serbia/USA in Group B will set the tone.

Boxing: 1 - With luck both women will need just one win to medal. Hopefully one can pull it out.

Canoeing: 1 - De Jonge in the K1 200

Cycling: 3 - Women's team pursuit; either Batty or Pendrel in the mountain biking, Beveridge in the omnium

Diving: 3 - Both women's synchro events and Jennifer Abel in the 3m individual event.

Golf: 1 - Brooke Henderson (hopefully, but this is probably the hardest sport to predict).

Gymnastics: 1 - MacLennan in trampoline

Judo: 1 - Again this is a hard sport to predict. However with three seeded athletes (Valois-Foriter, Beauchmin-Pinard and Zupancic) I believe 1 is possible. Others such as Reyes and Margdelion are young and have potential as well.

Rowing: 2 - Women's eights and Women's lighweight double sculls

Rugby sevens: 1 - Women's team

Wrestling: 3 - Gallays, Yeats and Wiebe to medal

24 in total

Yes I predicted 0 for swimming, but realistically I see no medals for Canada in swimming.

Athletics - 2; Damian Warner and Brianne Thiesen-Eaton

Canoe/Kayak - 1; Mark de Jong

Cycling - 1; Women's Team Pursuit

Diving - 1; 3m Synchro

Rowing - 1; women's lightweight pairs

Rugby - 1; women's team

Swimming - 1; one of the women I think

Wrestling - 3; not sure which since all can win a medal

11 total. Other predictions I've seen run 13 to 16.

Swimming : I predict two medals (but not gold)

4x100m Freestyle Women Relay

1500m Freestyle Men with Ryan Cochrane (I know, is old)

Boxing : depending of the draw, both woman (Arianne Fortin and Mandy Bujold) should be on the podium

Swimming : I predict two medals (but not gold)

4x100m Freestyle Women Relay

1500m Freestyle Men with Ryan Cochrane (I know, is old)

Boxing : depending of the draw, both woman (Arianne Fortin and Mandy Bujold) should be on the podium

Cochrane got beat out by 2 others last year at the worlds (without Sun Yang). I don't think he will medal here unfortunately.

Fortin lost to a Moroccan at the Worlds in May, I doubt she wins a match.

Bujold lost to a boxer who didn't qualify... so really it depends on the draw.

Cochrane got beat out by 2 others last year at the worlds (without Sun Yang). I don't think he will medal here unfortunately.

Fortin lost to a Moroccan at the Worlds in May, I doubt she wins a match.

Bujold lost to a boxer who didn't qualify... so really it depends on the draw.

I doubt that Sun Yang will be like he was in 2012/13. He is a known doper at a Games where the IOC is probably going to be very aggressive in their testing.

The 2016 Canadian Olympic women's basketball team will be announced tomorrow in Toronto at the Mattany Athletic Centre at Maple Leaf Gardens with association from the Canadian Olympic Committee and Canada Basketball! Knowing some Canadian basketball, I can see some shoo-ins like UCONN star Kia Nurse. Even being in a tougher group, Canada could act as a sleeper team to watch:

http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/media-advisory-canadian-womens-national-basketball-team-to-be-na

Sports Illustrated Predictions

Canoe/Kayak Flatwater - Men's K1 200m - Gold - Mark de Jong

Canoe/Kayak Flatwater - Men's K1 1000m - Bronze - Adam van Koeverdan

Cycling Track - Women's Team Pursuit - Bronze

Aquatics Diving - Women's 3m Synchro - Bronze - Jennifer Abel and Pamela Ware

Aquatics Diving - Women's 10m Synchro - Silver - Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion

Golf - Women's - Gold - Brooke Henderson

Gymnastics Trampoline - Women's - Bronze - Roseannagh MacLennan

Judo - Men's 81kg - Bronze - Antoine Valois-Fortier 

Rowing - Women's Lightweight Double Sculls - Silver - Lindsay Jennerich and Patricia Obee

Athletics - Men's 4x100m Relay - Bronze

Athletics - Men's 20km Race Walk - Bronze - Ben Thorne

Athletics - Men's High Jump - Bronze - Derek Drouin

Athletics - Men's Pole Vault - Gold - Shawnancy Barber

Athletics - Men's Decathlon - Silver - Damian Warner

Athletics - Women's Heptathlon - Gold - Brianne Thiessen-Eaton

Wrestling - Women's 75kg - Bronze - Erica Weibe

4 Gold - 3 Silver - 9 Bronze

SI predicts the Americans to win 118 medals, which is very, very high.

Another disappointing performance is on its way for Canada. Hopefully a few can step up and surprise so the country can still win 18 medals to match London. But I think that would take medals from the likes of de Grasse, McBride, Bishop, women's 7's, women's basketball or a swimmer or two.

Canadian women's Olympic basketball team announced Thursday in Toronto:

http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/canadian-womens-basketball-team-nominated-for-rio-2016

And here comes the men's volleyball team making its Olympic return in 24 years!

http://www.volleyball.ca/node/4398

The Canadian women's soccer team just touched down in Rio! canadian-womens-soccer.jpg

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canadian-women-soccer-team-arrives-rio.html

I would love to see the Canadian women win a medal in basketball. Kia Nurse and Natalie Achonwa are outstanding athletes and personalities and I would be very happy to see them with Olympic medals. In fact probably the two medals I am most hopeful for are the women's teams in rugby and basketball. Lots of great stories and women in those sports.