Canada in Rio.

Depending when I will finish next tuesday afternoon an important meeting at my job, good chance I will make the trip Montreal-Ottawa to watch the exhibition game between the Canadian Women Soccer Olympic team and the Brazilian Olympic team.

Edited by Chateau Petrus

So it comes down to Canada and Australia for the final qualifying spot in men's volleyball. Lucky for Canada, they have a very winnable match against China, while Australia must face the current world champions in Poland. A Canada win and Australia loss will ensure qualification.

So it comes down to Canada and Australia for the final qualifying spot in men's volleyball. Lucky for Canada, they have a very winnable match against China, while Australia must face the current world champions in Poland. A Canada win and Australia loss will ensure qualification.

A Chinese win and an Australian lose would see China qualify.

• Like 1

It certainly wasn't as comfortable as it should have been but Canada qualifies for the Olympics in volleyball for the first time in 24 years. There will be 4 teams from Norceca, as many as there are European.

Canada is in the toughest group with Brazil, USA, Italy and France.

Edited by Faster

Poland 3 - Australia 0

Congratulations CANADA, You have now your ticket for Rio

Hope the basketball team will have same succes in Manilla in July (4 to 10th)

They will have to compete with Turkey and Senegal in the group A plus France, New Zeland and Philippines in the group B

It will be very hard considering France is ranked 5th in the world and Turkey 7th (Canada is 26th)

We came so close few months ago in Mexico at the FIBA Americas Championship

Edited by Chateau Petrus

So still to come:

Archery - final Olympic team qualifier in Turkey. Decent chance of grabbing one of the 3 remaining spots

Swimming - confirmation of the 4x100m medley relay for men, last I checked Canada is still in a qualification position for 4x200m freestyle for men, but am under the impression the spot will be declined

Basketball - men's final final qualification tournament in July, not much hope

Diving - quota redistribution in July could see two more male divers

Badminton - quota redistribution once the Americans finalize their team

Boxing - still a chance for qualification but I doubt any Canadians will finish high enough to qualify further

Canoe/kayak - quota redistribution is still a possibility

Golf - list will be finalized in July, currently sitting with 3 quotas

Rugby - final qualifier this month, not holding out much hope to qualify a men's team

Tennis - quota list will be published Monday, 3 quota spots

Beach volleyball - 3 teams are assured, potential for a 4th in the final rounds of qualification

Weightlifting - final qualification is going on right now, assured of 1 female quota

Projects out to a team of roughly 320, just slightly smaller then Beijing and one of the largest teams ever for Canada. Only behind Montreal, Los Angeles, Seoul and Beijing

Edited by Faster

Swimming: Canada did not qualify a 4x200 relay, the 4x100 medley has been confirmed.

Badminton: The USA is not going to return any spots. The women's doubles qualified outright, meaning the US got only 2 continental spots (the max)

Boxing; Boxing Canada is hoping to send professionals to the last chance tournament in July.

Golf - There is 4 quotas; not 3

So still to come:

Archery - final Olympic team qualifier in Turkey. Decent chance of grabbing one of the 3 remaining spots

Swimming - confirmation of the 4x100m medley relay for men, last I checked Canada is still in a qualification position for 4x200m freestyle for men, but am under the impression the spot will be declined

Basketball - men's final final qualification tournament in July, not much hope

Diving - quota redistribution in July could see two more male divers

Badminton - quota redistribution once the Americans finalize their team

Boxing - still a chance for qualification but I doubt any Canadians will finish high enough to qualify further

Canoe/kayak - quota redistribution is still a possibility

Golf - list will be finalized in July, currently sitting with 3 quotas

Rugby - final qualifier this month, not holding out much hope to qualify a men's team

Tennis - quota list will be published Monday, 3 quota spots

Beach volleyball - 3 teams are assured, potential for a 4th in the final rounds of qualification

Weightlifting - final qualification is going on right now, assured of 1 female quota

Projects out to a team of roughly 320, just slightly smaller then Beijing and one of the largest teams ever for Canada. Only behind Montreal, Los Angeles, Seoul and Beijing

Is it possible you forget Track and Field ?

The Rio Selection Trials will be in Edmonton from July 7 to July 10th

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F1

Edited by Chateau Petrus

I wouldn't say "not much hope" for basketball. Canada can handily beat any of the teams in that tournament if they have the right roster. Rankings really don't mean anything. If France were really the fifth best team in the world they would already have qualified for Rio.

Is it possible you forget Track and Field ?

The Rio Selection Trials will be in Edmonton from July 7 to July 10th

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F1

Didn't forget, just assuming that they will go as planned and the 60+ that have already met selection criteria will be good to go. Athletics Canada has significantly toned down their selection criteria and standards to come in line with international ones. A very abrupt change given that the former system was in place from 2004 to 2012.

I wouldn't say "not much hope" for basketball. Canada can handily beat any of the teams in that tournament if they have the right roster. Rankings really don't mean anything. If France were really the fifth best team in the world they would already have qualified for Rio.

When Canada can't beat Venezuela, I doubt they will be able to beat France or Turkey. I would be happy if they qualified, but it looks like Basketball Canada is falling back into the old position when Fox and Nash wouldn't play for country. Wiggins has said he doesn't want to go to Manila.

It certainly wasn't as comfortable as it should have been but Canada qualifies for the Olympics in volleyball for the first time in 24 years. There will be 4 teams from Norceca, as many as there are European.

Well, Mexican men haven't officially qualified yet. They still have to beat Tunisia to clinch it.

When Canada can't beat Venezuela, I doubt they will be able to beat France or Turkey. I would be happy if they qualified, but it looks like Basketball Canada is falling back into the old position when Fox and Nash wouldn't play for country. Wiggins has said he doesn't want to go to Manila.

May be some hope for Canada because a couple of French NBA players decided in not taking part in Manila or at the Olympics at all. France is still deep enough to qualify though many Canadian basketball fans better hope the Canadians will peak then. But you're right: had Canada defeated Venezuela in Mexico City in an easy field for them, they'd prepare their training camp now. Had Tristan Thompson had his NBA contract matter dealt with during the NBA offseason, I think they'd already be in like their women counterparts.

The Canadian volleyball team qualifying for Rio De Janeiro was great! Certainly for the CBC's sake (though likely to be on Rogers Sportsnet) with its volleyball sportscasting team just announced. Sorry for Australia.

Canada basketball training camp roster announced today. No Wiggins, no Murray, no Olynyk, no Tristan Thompson (obviously). In summary, we're actually fucking screwed for the qualification tournament.

Edited by ofan

Canada basketball training camp roster announced today. No Wiggins, no Murray, no Olynyk, no Tristan Thompson (obviously). In summary, we're actually fucking screwed for the qualification tournament.

So... who's there?

Your avatar, Ofan, has made it official of him not heading to Manila for Team Canada. Furthermore, Dwight Powell and Andrew Nicholson are currently restricted free agents with no contracts offered to them by Dallas and Orlando, respectively. Starting to think Thompson won't be there either due to the lack of down time between the NBA Finals and the OQT in Manila:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wiggins-wont-play-canada-seek-olympic-basketball-berth-223421821--nba.html

Your avatar, Ofan, has made it official of him not heading to Manila for Team Canada. Furthermore, Dwight Powell and Andrew Nicholson are currently restricted free agents with no contracts offered to them by Dallas and Orlando, respectively. Starting to think Thompson won't be there either due to the lack of down time between the NBA Finals and the OQT in Manila:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wiggins-wont-play-canada-seek-olympic-basketball-berth-223421821--nba.html

Funny enough, one of the reporters on Sportsnet was interviewing Thompson ahead of Game 4, and asked "do you plan on seeing your friend Cory Joseph again soon, possibly overseas in Manila for whatever reason?". Thompson responded "I'm sure I'll see him in the near future", whatever that means.