Canada in Rio.

I'm bored. This topic is bound to happen.

So far only 2 Canadians have qualified. Both in sailing.

Really only the teams can be discussed.

Water Polo:

Men stand a better chance of qualifying. Especially if the Americans qualify through the World Group or World Championships. The women are a much better team but with only 8 spots the Brazilians have taken the continental position and Canada will only have the chance to qualify though the final tournament and get past the likes of Italy, Netherlands, Britain, Russia or Hungary to qualify.

Basketball:

The Canadian women should qualify. With Brazil and the USA already qualified, and Canada hosting the tournament there is a good chance of qualification. The Canadian men, it will depend on how many of Canada's NBA players actually decide to play for country. If it is like the previous generation things don't look bright.

Field Hockey

Only the men have a chance unless by some miracle both Argentina and the USA qualify before the Pan Am Games on the women's side. The men need to hope that Argentina qualifies through the World Group

Football

The women should be in Rio, the men would take a miracle but they almost did it last time.

Rugby

The Canadian women should qualify and through the World Group by May hopefully (after one round they are in a qualification position). If it goes like the previous competition Canada will consistently be in the top 4. Even if they don't, results against the Americans should bring the ladies into the Olympics and into a medal threat position. The men could qualify and in a head-to-head with the Americans I'd pick them. The Canadians rarely lose to the Americans in a series.

Volleyball

Another that will depend heavily on if and when the Americans qualify. I hate volleyball's qualification because its world ranking that matters to get into the final qualifier and not position in regional championships.

Edited by Faster

The women's water polo tournament really needs to expand to 12 teams already. The qualifiers for it are absolutely insane.

Historically Canada makes it pretty competitive with Argentina in men's field hockey, so with hone field advantage Canada certainly has a (admittedly quite less than 50-50) chance of grabbing the pan-am slot.

Volleyball's qualification system is indeed bunk, but I feel like if the Canadian men get assigned one of the four last chance qualification tournament they have as good a chance as anyone to qualify.

I'm bored. This topic is bound to happen.

So far only 2 Canadians have qualified. Both in sailing.

Really only the teams can be discussed.

Water Polo:

Men stand a better chance of qualifying. Especially if the Americans qualify through the World Group or World Championships. The women are a much better team but with only 8 spots the Brazilians have taken the continental position and Canada will only have the chance to qualify though the final tournament and get past the likes of Italy, Netherlands, Britain, Russia or Hungary to qualify.

Basketball:

The Canadian women should qualify. With Brazil and the USA already qualified, and Canada hosting the tournament there is a good chance of qualification. The Canadian men, it will depend on how many of Canada's NBA players actually decide to play for country. If it is like the previous generation things don't look bright.

Field Hockey

Only the men have a chance unless by some miracle both Argentina and the USA qualify before the Pan Am Games on the women's side. The men need to hope that Argentina qualifies through the World Group

Football

The women should be in Rio, the men would take a miracle but they almost did it last time.

Rugby

The Canadian women should qualify and through the World Group by May hopefully (after one round they are in a qualification position). If it goes like the previous competition Canada will consistently be in the top 4. Even if they don't, results against the Americans should bring the ladies into the Olympics and into a medal threat position. The men could qualify and in a head-to-head with the Americans I'd pick them. The Canadians rarely lose to the Americans in a series.

Volleyball

Another that will depend heavily on if and when the Americans qualify. I hate volleyball's qualification because its world ranking that matters to get into the final qualifier and not position in regional championships.

Couple of mistakes here:

For water polo, it's the top team from the World League and the top 2 from the World Championships that quality. So really no chance for Canada there. They'll have to try in the continental or world tournament.

for field hockey, the continental championships take priority over World League standings. So if Argentina win at the Pan Am Games, they qualify regardless of where they finish in the World League. Canada will need to pull off an upset like they did in Rio in 2007 in penalties, and being at home, it could happen. This format is done to prevent countries like Samoa qualifying from Oceania.

in basketball, Brazil and USA have already qualified on both sides. I fully expect the likes of Wiggins, Olynyk, Stauskus, etc. to be playing. If they do, it'll take a miracle not to qualify.

The teams I see qualifying are: men's and women's basketball, women's football, men's and women's rugby sevens, men's volleyball

My thoughts on water polo don't dispute what you say. I said the Americans need to qualify through the World system so that Canada can more easily take the continental position at the Pan Ams.

And I didn't know that continental takes precedence in field hockey. Interesting procedure. Thought having both New Zealand and Australia as respectable hockey nations that would be unnecessary.

I forgot to include handball, but that is a complete joke for Canada.

I just hope a men's team qualifies in whatever sport.

Archery: 2, one of each gender. The men's team is competitve and has a chance to qualify, but I doubt it.

Athletics: 40, just a rough estimate

Badminton: 4, Michelle Li in women's singles, Li/Alex Bruce in women's doubles and either mixed or men's doubles, as a country can gain only two continental quotas.

Basketball: 24, Women's team should qualify, the men's team if everything goes well will also qualify.

Beach Volleyball: 4, one pair in mens and women's

Boxing: 3, hard to predict but 2 men and 1 woman

Canoeing - Slalom: 1, K1 men, possibility of more on home course

Canoeing - Sprint: 12, 4 in men's kayak 4 in men's canoe, 4 women's kayak

Cycling - BMX: 1 man, an outside shot at qualifying a woman.

Cycling - Mountain Bike: 4, 2 in each gender

Cycling - Road: 4, As of right now Canada would qualify one man, I don't expect this to change, + 3 women

Cycling - Track: 7, 2 men + 5 women

Diving: 8, 4 women + 4 men

Equestrian: 8, Jumping team (4), 2 in eventing, 2 in dressage

Fencing: 6, one athlete in each individual event. Possibility of women's sabre team qualifying as well.

Field Hockey: 0, but outside shot in men's, especially with home advantage.

Football: 18, women's team

Golf: 4, 2 in each gender

Gymnastics - Artistic: 6, women's team + one man

Gymnastics - Rhythmic: 1 woman in the individual event

Gymnastics - Trampoline: 3, 2 men and 1 women

Handball: 0, not happening anytime soon

Judo: 8, 4 women and 4 men

Modern Pentathlon: 2 women

Rowing: 26, (9 men, single sculls, fours, quadruple sculls) 17 women (pairs, quad sculls, eights and lighweight double sculls)

Rugby Sevens: 24, men and women's teams

Sailing: 8 or so, not familiar with the sport.

Shooting: 1. I don't see anyone actually qualifying, but a reallocation spot from the ISSF. More is possible because of home advantage

Swimming: 30, a rough estimate

Synchronized Swimming: 9, full team

Table Tennis: 4, men's team + women's singles

Taekwondo: 3, very unpredictable just a guess

Tennis: 5, Raonic, Pospisil, Bouchard, Nestor and Wozniak (or any other women the ITF gives a wildcard to for the women's doubles event)

Triathlon: 5, 3 women and 2 men

Volleyball: 12, men's team

Water Polo: 0, however the men's team has a chance of an upset over the USA for qualification since its at home.

Weightlifting: 3, 2 women, 1 man

Wrestling: 11, 6 in women's freestyle, 5 in men's freestyle

Carrying over my predictions from Totallympics.

My thoughts on water polo don't dispute what you say. I said the Americans need to qualify through the World system so that Canada can more easily take the continental position at the Pan Ams.

And I didn't know that continental takes precedence in field hockey. Interesting procedure. Thought having both New Zealand and Australia as respectable hockey nations that would be unnecessary.

I forgot to include handball, but that is a complete joke for Canada.

Sorry, my mistake, I misread what you said about water polo.

For field hockey Australia and New Zealand both usually finish in the top 7 for the World League, so the Oceania continental champion would come from somewhere else.

I just hope a men's team qualifies in whatever sport.

Archery: 2, one of each gender. The men's team is competitve and has a chance to qualify, but I doubt it.

Athletics: 40, just a rough estimate

Badminton: 4, Michelle Li in women's singles, Li/Alex Bruce in women's doubles and either mixed or men's doubles, as a country can gain only two continental quotas.

Basketball: 24, Women's team should qualify, the men's team if everything goes well will also qualify.

Beach Volleyball: 4, one pair in mens and women's

Surprisingly Canada has put a lot of effort into beach volleyball, I think there might be a chance of 2 women's teams

Boxing: 3, hard to predict but 2 men and 1 woman

Just based on the vast improvement in results from the Commonwealth Games, I think Canada will improve on the numbers it sent to London

Canoeing - Slalom: 1, K1 men, possibility of more on home course

Canoeing - Sprint: 12, 4 in men's kayak 4 in men's canoe, 4 women's kayak

Cycling - BMX: 1 man, an outside shot at qualifying a woman.

Cycling - Mountain Bike: 4, 2 in each gender

Cycling - Road: 4, As of right now Canada would qualify one man, I don't expect this to change, + 3 women

Cycling - Track: 7, 2 men + 5 women

Diving: 8, 4 women + 4 men

Equestrian: 8, Jumping team (4), 2 in eventing, 2 in dressage

Canada will qualify an eventing team. The Canadians are vastly better then the Americans and Brazil has already qualified. Dressage as a team will be challenging but there is certainly a chance Canada beats the USA to the qualification

Fencing: 6, one athlete in each individual event. Possibility of women's sabre team qualifying as well.

Field Hockey: 0, but outside shot in men's, especially with home advantage.

Football: 18, women's team

Golf: 4, 2 in each gender

Gymnastics - Artistic: 6, women's team + one man

Gymnastics - Rhythmic: 1 woman in the individual event

Gymnastics - Trampoline: 3, 2 men and 1 women

Handball: 0, not happening anytime soon

Judo: 8, 4 women and 4 men

Modern Pentathlon: 2 women

Rowing: 26, (9 men, single sculls, fours, quadruple sculls) 17 women (pairs, quad sculls, eights and lighweight double sculls)

I cannot see the Canadian program not building a men's 8 to qualify

Rugby Sevens: 24, men and women's teams

Sailing: 8 or so, not familiar with the sport.

Shooting: 1. I don't see anyone actually qualifying, but a reallocation spot from the ISSF. More is possible because of home advantage

Swimming: 30, a rough estimate

Synchronized Swimming: 9, full team

Table Tennis: 4, men's team + women's singles

Taekwondo: 3, very unpredictable just a guess

My guess is a full team of 4 again.

Tennis: 5, Raonic, Pospisil, Bouchard, Nestor and Wozniak (or any other women the ITF gives a wildcard to for the women's doubles event)

Triathlon: 5, 3 women and 2 men

Volleyball: 12, men's team

Water Polo: 0, however the men's team has a chance of an upset over the USA for qualification since its at home.

I think the men have a good chance of qualifying in the last chance qualifier. It would require at least one upset, but they did it in 2008

Weightlifting: 3, 2 women, 1 man

Wrestling: 11, 6 in women's freestyle, 5 in men's freestyle

Carrying over my predictions from Totallympics.

The men's team in WP has a chance, they beat the USA a couple of times in 2013, but lost at the WC.

For boxing it will be hard, there are no Canadians in the world series of boxing and Custio Clayton has turned pro, limiting the talent pool and qualification avenues.

Taekwondo has a new system of qualification, in which the top 6 in each of the events qualify from the world rankings. As of today no Canadians are in the top 6, so a team of four must finish in the top 2 in the Americas to qualify now. Canada did not qualify a full team in 2008 nor 2012.

As for the men's eight, I hope you are right.

Can't say I am especially confident that the men's rugby 7's will qualify. They aren't doing so well in the series and the Americans are. Given the qualification tournament is going to be in the US, Canada's other shot would be to better, more then likely France in the final tournament.

• 4 weeks later...
Canada sets goal of top 12 in Rio Olympic medal standings

Canada’s goal is to finish in the top 12 of the overall medal standings at the Rio Olympics, its Olympic Committee president said Wednesday, which would be its best finish in 20 years.

“One day, our vision, is to get top eight, and that’s an improvement on what happened in Beijing [2008] and what happened in London [2012],” Canadian Olympic Committee president Marcel Aubut said, according to the Canadian Press.

Canada has recently been strongest in canoeing, diving and rowing. Diving stalwarts Alexandre Despatie and Emilie Heymans have retired since London 2012.

In track and field, high jumper Derek Drouin, heptathlete Brianne Theisen-Eaton and decathlete Damian Warner won Commonwealth Games gold in 2014.

The men’s basketball team is on the upswing, too, looking for its first Olympic berth since 2000.

Here are Canada’s overall medal standings finishes the last several Olympics, via sports-reference.com:

2012: 14th

2008: 13th

2004: 19th

2000: 18th

1996: 11th

1992: 15th

1988: 19th

1984: Fourth

Right now in terms of World Championship medals, Canada would be tied for top 10 with Italy (24 medals)

Source

As mentioned here, the women's basketball team is on the rise. But they don't get as much publicity as the men do.

The Canadian women have a tough draw as hosts of the 2015 FIBA Americas Women's Tournament in Edmonton this August for the chance to get direct qualification to Rio. The results that came as of Monday:

Group A: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Chile, Canada
Group B: Argentina, Venezuela, Virgin Islands, Ecuador, Brazil

In their group, Cuba and Puerto Rico will be their toughest challenges

http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/noticiasread4.asp?r=ED7886BAFEA4408A94B454ABA42A34B3

• 4 months later...

I just thought I should give this an update.

Athletics:

Officially Canada has qualified 8 to 10 athletes (depending on if Canada sends 4 or 5 in each of the women's relays)

Unofficially Canada has athletes that have met qualification standards almost across the board. Sent 45 last time, will likely send a similar or slightly larger team this time. Athletics could be the largest single source of medals for the first time in like forever.

Canoe/Kayak:

Women's K1, plus there is a decent chance for a redistribution in men's K1.

Diving:

Fab 4 have already qualified plus likely 3 more guys.

Equestrian:

Team Eventing and Jumping. One in Dressage, plus an outside chance of qualification of a team in total.

Field Hockey

Who knew an upset shoot-out win against New Zealand would be so important. Men's team continuing the tradition of every other Olympics.

Modern Pentathlon

1 women is qualified,

Rugby

Women's team, still going to be a tough road to get a men's team qualified.

Sailing:

two boats

Shooting:

2 qualified, good chance at a redistribution.

Swimming:

1 in men's 10km

Synchro

1 duet, almost no chance at a team now. Too big of a gap between Japan, Spain and Ukraine and Canada to qualify.

• 2 months later...

Canada's men's basketball team will have to go through the 18-team field--though it will be in a group of 6 teams with only the group winners qualifying--to qualify for Rio next year after losing controversially to a veteran Venezuela team in the FIBA Americas semifinals last month, despite eventually winning bronze over Mexico in Mexico City thanks to Cory Joseph's buzzer beater.

Canadian women's volleyball team finishes 4th in the NORCECA volleyball qualification behind the USA, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico to qualify for next year's Olympic volleyball qualification tournament. My, what the hell happened to Cuba in recent years:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/canada-volleyball-women-norceca-1.3255651

Oh this is never good...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/marcel-aubut-coc-sex-harassment-complaint-1.3255535

• 1 month later...

So I was just visiting Sportchek's website on this Cyber Monday, and I noticed that on the subsection for Canada's Olympic Team that Adidas signed a deal with the Canadian Olympic Committee having taking over from the Hudson Bay Company and earlier Roots. Even before Sochi. So it bypassed me. It's reflected in the Adidas apparel merchandise available that contains the COC logo. Pretty sure not all the teams represented come Rio will not Adidas all the time, like the Canadian women's basketball team, and will continue to sport someone like Nike in their case.

Rosie MacLennan earns an Olympic berth to defend her Olympic (and Canada's only) gold from London by finishing fourth at the trampoline world championship in Odense, Denmark:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/gymnastics/rosie-maclennan-gymnastics-olympic-berth-1.3342770

COC gets a new leader in 4x Olympian, BC lawyer and businesswoman Tricia Smith, already its VP, and will finish out disgraced Marcel Aubut's term up to April 2017:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/generic/tricia-smith-named-new-canadian-olympic-committee-president-1.3330077

The woes for Marcel keep coming with his hometown's rink dropping his name from it in a effort to uphold values of respect to distance itself from the ugly saga. He's already left his law firm:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/marcel-aubut-arena-name-1.3340909

Starting January 8th, the Men's Indoor Volleyball Continental Olympic Tournament (in Edmonton, Canada)

Canada (10th), Cuba (15th), Puerto Rico (22th) and Mexico (24th) in a round-robin.

Only the one finishing first will go to Rio Olympic

In the same time, the same Tournament for Women will be in Nebraska

USA (1st), Dominican Republic (7th), Puerto Rico (15th) and Canada (16th)

Should be possible for men but very hard for women

Qualification tournament for the Canadian Boxing Olympic Team start in few days in Montreal (December 6th to 10)

I will be involve as a volunteer (don't know what will be my function yet)

That will not qualify them to Rio. That will determine who will go for the next step for Rio

So I was just visiting Sportchek's website on this Cyber Monday, and I noticed that on the subsection for Canada's Olympic Team that Adidas signed a deal with the Canadian Olympic Committee having taking over from the Hudson Bay Company and earlier Roots. Even before Sochi. So it bypassed me. It's reflected in the Adidas apparel merchandise available that contains the COC logo. Pretty sure not all the teams represented come Rio will not Adidas all the time, like the Canadian women's basketball team, and will continue to sport someone like Nike in their case.

Rosie MacLennan earns an Olympic berth to defend her Olympic (and Canada's only) gold from London by finishing fourth at the trampoline world championship in Odense, Denmark:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/gymnastics/rosie-maclennan-gymnastics-olympic-berth-1.3342770

COC gets a new leader in 4x Olympian, BC lawyer and businesswoman Tricia Smith, already its VP, and will finish out disgraced Marcel Aubut's term up to April 2017:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/generic/tricia-smith-named-new-canadian-olympic-committee-president-1.3330077

The woes for Marcel keep coming with his hometown's rink dropping his name from it in a effort to uphold values of respect to distance itself from the ugly saga. He's already left his law firm:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/marcel-aubut-arena-name-1.3340909

Not quite. Adidas has replaced Nike as the overall COC athletic apparel sponsor. Hudson's Bay is still the overall apparel sponsor.

Just came back from Day 3 of the Boxing Olympic Qualification for canadian team held in Montreal.

I had the chance to talk a lot with the coachs and trainers about our chance of medals for Rio

Unanimous about the fact that only one man have chance to qualify for the games (in the 91 kg category) but with absolutelly no chance of medals.

For women, different story with a hope of medal in the 48kg category with Mandy Bujold, depending if she's lucky with the draw

In the 75kg category, Ariane Fortin (ranked #3 in the world) is also a solid containder for medal (again if she's lucky witth the draw)

Edited by Chateau Petrus

• 5 weeks later...

The Canadian men is about to embark on their NORECA men's volleyball qualification tournament of which the Canadian men are heavily favored in up in Edmonton starting this Friday in round robin field for their first Olympic trip since 1996. They got Mexico, Cuba, and Puerto Rico to face. Oh, how have the once-mighty Cuban volleyball juggernaut have fallen! Canada's games will at least be shown on CBC with all of them streamed live on cbcsports.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/mens-volleyball-olympic-qualification-1.3391926

But Team Canada must do it without the oft-injured Gavin Schmitt:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/generic/team-canada-volleyball-olympics-1.3394094