Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

IOC Shuns Saudi Arabia’s Proposed Cross-Border, Split-Gender Olympic Bid

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has vetoed a joint bid by Saudi Arabia with Bahrain for a future Summer Olympic Games. Prince Fahad bin Jalawi Al Saud, an international relations consultant to the president of the Saudi Arabian Olympic Committee, told a French Olympic website that resolutions passed by the IOC last month opened the […]

View the full article

I was right again. SA was going to outsource the women's events to Bahrain. :lol:

And Michelle Obama skips headscarf in meeting with the royals. Hopefully, the barriers are coming down.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/28/michelle-obama-headscarf-saudi-arabia#comment-46783000

Michelle Obama opts to forgo headscarf during Saudi Arabia visit
US first lady’s decision to not cover her head as she and President Obama met King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has caused a stir on social media
99e8d719-14f0-4c63-a73c-b660536210d9-102
Edited by baron-pierreIV

Can't get much clearer than that! lol This should further illustrate that the IOC has no desire whatsoever to enter the Middle East. Doha (& to a lesser extent Baku) should take note!

Can't get much clearer than that! lol This should further illustrate that the IOC has no desire whatsoever to enter the Middle East. Doha (& to a lesser extent Baku) should take note!

Also includes Istanbul.

Despite your support for Istanbul, they are part of the middle east. The middle east won't be hosting anytime soon. Too much political problems, plus other Cities have a much better chance of hosting then Istanbul does anyway.

Also includes Istanbul.

Despite your support for Istanbul, they are part of the middle east. The middle east won't be hosting anytime soon. Too much political problems, plus other Cities have a much better chance of hosting then Istanbul does anyway.

Istanbul is technically Europe Tony.

Istanbul is technically Europe Tony.

Europe extends well to the east of places like Arabia- but given that there's a Middle East and a Far East, somewhere there's a Near East. Maybe Istanbul's in that.

Istanbul is geographically Europe but culturally and despite their yearnings, I consider Turkey Near East. That's just like many Argentinians consider themselves the Europeans of So. America but geographically aren't; and Israel being "grouped" with the Euro sports confederations because culturally, it is European even though geographically, they are outside 'Europe.' There are always these exceptions to the rules.

I think we're officially arguing semantics here. By most definitions, the Middle East refers to Western Asia. So certainly Turkey falls into that category, although Istanbul can certainly be disputed since it's the part of the country that is European. Culturally I couldn't tell you where it falls, but as baron noted, be careful where you're talking about geographical boundaries versus cultural boundaries. In that regard, certain cities/countries can go either way and it depends a lot on what context you're discussing them in.

Also includes Istanbul.

Right. Lets remember which of three "middle eastern" cities (Istanbul, Baku & Doha) the IOC decided to keep for the 2020 shortlist & which two they pretty much told to take a hike. It isn't really so much "support" that I have for Istanbul, but moreso refuting your claim that Istanbul would have "zero chance" in any particular bid race. Clearly the IOC has some interest in Istanbul, UNLIKE Doha & Baku.

But like with Rio, the IOC is likely waiting for the right time to finally go there, since they're always looking for a good opportunity to extend their brand. Again, whether that's 2024 or not remains to be seen since we don't know the FULL list of applicant cities until September to see who or who won't be formidable opponents.

Right. Lets remember which of three "middle eastern" cities (Istanbul, Baku & Doha) the IOC decided to keep for the 2020 shortlist & which two they pretty much told to take a hike. It isn't really so much "support" that I have for Istanbul, but moreso refuting your claim that Istanbul would have "zero chance" in any particular bid race. Clearly the IOC has some interest in Istanbul, UNLIKE Doha & Baku.

But like with Rio, the IOC is likely waiting for the right time to finally go there, since they're always looking for a good opportunity to extend their brand. Again, whether that's 2024 or not remains to be seen since we don't know the FULL list of applicant cities until September to see who or who won't be formidable opponents.

Parts of the middle east are in Europe and Africa, aswell as Asia. Istanbul only made it as a Candidate City because of a lack of decent bidders. I knew Tokyo was going to host, I knew Istanbul wasn't, just like I know Istanbul won't host 2024. At least one of either Rome, Berlin, Hamburg or Paris will bid for 2024. If they do, Istanbul has no chance.

Parts of the middle east are in Europe and Africa, aswell as Asia. Istanbul only made it as a Candidate City because of a lack of decent bidders. I knew Tokyo was going to host, I knew Istanbul wasn't, just like I know Istanbul won't host 2024. At least one of either Rome, Berlin, Hamburg or Paris will bid for 2024. If they do, Istanbul has no chance.

We all pretty much knew that, Tony. Tokyo's win was hardly a surprise to anyone given Spain's economic situation and Turkey's political instability. Tokyo was the only logical choice. So when you say you knew Tokyo was going to host, be careful where you're offering that up as some great knowledge that you had of the situation, because the majority of folks here all knew it as well.

If there were a "lack of bidders" for 2020, then why didn't the IOC also include Doha & Baku on the shortlist. But whatever the reason was, the point still stands that Istanbul was officially in the race, while Doha & Baku weren't. So to lump all of those as one as you like to do, is nothing but a blurry picture.

I'm not saying at all (nor ever have) that Istanbul "will" host 2024, but for you to continually harp that they would have "no chance" (if they were to bid again) is flawed logic on your part. Especially when the dynamics on any given race could change dramatically from one day to the next. And even more critical if those dynamics were to change close to voting day.

Again, if all we hypothetically have is Boston, Hamburg (two lesser-known cities internationally) & a relatively weak Rome bid (mainly due to the still weak Italian economy) then I still would believe Istanbul could hold their own in such a line-up. Much like it was for them for 2020. Go figure. But change that with Paris &/South Africa, then that would change things a lot. But I'm wrapping this up, since obviously we just don't agree. So let's just agree to disagree.

We all pretty much knew that, Tony. Tokyo's win was hardly a surprise to anyone given Spain's economic situation and Turkey's political instability. Tokyo was the only logical choice. So when you say you knew Tokyo was going to host, be careful where you're offering that up as some great knowledge that you had of the situation, because the majority of folks here all knew it as well.

Exactly. He's argued that before & I told him the same thing then. So it's not like he "knew" anything that the rest of us didn't. All he's merely doing is arguing in hindsight.

Istanbul is geographically Europe but culturally and despite their yearnings, I consider Turkey Near East. That's just like many Argentinians consider themselves the Europeans of So. America but geographically aren't

LOL, just don't believe everything Danny says.

It is a joke this potential bid ? Maybe when Saoudi Arabia will accept women like women and when they will respect human rights we could imagine a bid from them.

It is a joke this potential bid ? Maybe when Saoudi Arabia will accept women like women and when they will respect human rights we could imagine a bid from them.

As big of a joke as Annecy was.

I don't know if I'd compare Annecy with the Saudi proposal. Heck, if Annecy was in the 2022 race right now they'd probably be the favorite.

At least Annecy has decent Human Rights, like the rest of us.

Saudi Arabia won't be hosting. I think the IOC has made that clear.

Right, bcuz human rights is what kept China (not to mention 2022) & Russia from hosting. If it made great geopolitical sense to go to Saudi Arabia (or anywhere else in the Arabian Peninsula), then the IOC would be trying everything that they can to go there (instead of shunning bids from the area). But for now, it doesn't. So that's why they're staying far, far away,

Not to mention the climate there is just not conducive for a Summer Olympics in the preferred time window anyway.

geter

I don't need Danny's endorsement for this. I know a number of Argentinians, thus my observation.

I am quite sure I know more of them. Though I can't speak for every individual, I don't believe your claim can be generalisized too much. The Argentinians often don't consider themselves as Latin Americans and may say that their country is the most European in South America, together with Uruguay, which is true, and that Buenos Aires has a European touch (also true) but it doesn' mean that they consider themselves Europeans per se. It's like saying that Australians think of themselves as English. But enough of this OT for now.

*generalized