U.S. Olympic Trials

etv78

Wiki has Eugene, Oregon as the site for the Track & Field Olympic trials. Looking at 2012's Olympic trial, it says that was the location, but some events were held elsewhere. Houston was the site for the marathon Olympic trials in January, and the race walking was held elsewhere in the same month.

Usually the Olympic trials is the same thing as the US championship.

Do the swimming trials move?

The last 2 (2008 & 2012) were held in Omaha, Nebraska, and the one in 2016 will be held there as well.

I think it's pretty common for these events to be held in the same location since there's not a huge demand for cities to hold these events. It's definitely not like the Super Bowl and the All Star game for basketball and baseball.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess whatever university in Omaha lends out their dorms for that one-week period.

There are no dorms for the Swimming Trials. The vast majority of swimmers stay at the Hilton that's connected to the arena by skywalk or at one of the 6 or 7 other hotels within walking distance of the arena.

USA Swimming held a very robust bidding process for the 2016 Trials. Six cities started the process (Indianapolis, St. Louis, San Antonio, Omaha, Greensboro, and a sixth I can't remember). The field was then cut to three finalists (St. Louis, San Antonio, and Omaha), from which Omaha was chosen as the winner. Indy was proposing to hold the Trials at Lucas Oil Stadium, and St. Louis and San Antonio were planning to use their domes for the event. It's hard to beat Omaha's setup, since they have a huge convention center attached to the arena, which holds two warmup pools and the big fanfest that goes along with the event.

I expect that there will continue to be a lot of interest in hosting the Swimming Trials. The event has been an economic windfall for Omaha. There are 1,000 swimmers, most of whom bring at least two family members, and many of them have to be there for the entire 8 days of the event. Omaha sold over 160,000 tickets for the 2008 and 2012 Trials. Even if interest in swimming drops, there are so many swimmers and family members at the event that they're pretty much guaranteed a crowd of at least 5,000 for every session.

third straight olympic swimming trials for Omaha. same venue hosted US Figure Skating Championships in 2013.

There are no dorms for the Swimming Trials. The vast majority of swimmers stay at the Hilton that's connected to the arena by skywalk or at one of the 6 or 7 other hotels within walking distance of the arena.

USA Swimming held a very robust bidding process for the 2016 Trials. Six cities started the process (Indianapolis, St. Louis, San Antonio, Omaha, Greensboro, and a sixth I can't remember). The field was then cut to three finalists (St. Louis, San Antonio, and Omaha), from which Omaha was chosen as the winner. Indy was proposing to hold the Trials at Lucas Oil Stadium, and St. Louis and San Antonio were planning to use their domes for the event. It's hard to beat Omaha's setup, since they have a huge convention center attached to the arena, which holds two warmup pools and the big fanfest that goes along with the event.

I expect that there will continue to be a lot of interest in hosting the Swimming Trials. The event has been an economic windfall for Omaha. There are 1,000 swimmers, most of whom bring at least two family members, and many of them have to be there for the entire 8 days of the event. Omaha sold over 160,000 tickets for the 2008 and 2012 Trials. Even if interest in swimming drops, there are so many swimmers and family members at the event that they're pretty much guaranteed a crowd of at least 5,000 for every session.

Jacksonville, FL is the other city.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived