Plausible Summer Bids

etv78

Yeah I was also thinking about how amazing it would be to see an olympics in atlantis. Now seriously, at this point I believe that Putin will end up presenting it's crown capital moscow (after other cities speculation). IOC will want to avoid turkey, and Madrid will probably get turned down in a referendum. India will have their beijing'esque olympics in a "near" future, but not in 2036. And I wouldn't bet on indonesia after an australian olympics. London would be an strong bid if they get the 2030 world cup hosting rights, and finally, I would bet on berlin government bidding for showing the "new germany" to the world 100 years after WWII. If we talk about 2040 I would bet for another asian bid, such as Tokyo (with the same argument as berlin in 2036, also considering they may want another chance to do things right after they "hosted" 2020 olympics), Seoul to get their chance for a second olympics, althought the bid must not include pyongyang in the plan for working out. And IDK if IOC will be up for another chinese olympics

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

finally, I would bet on berlin government bidding for showing the "new germany" to the world 100 years after WWII.

That was the motto of Munich 72 already, and the last politician to actively pursue an Olympic bid here just crashed and burned as conservative candidate to success Merkel. The Rhine-Ruhr 32 bid was not the reason for his defeat, but the way he was involved in it was symptomatic for his style of politics.

DOSB currently needs a new head after the old one had to resign over creating a "climate of fear". So maybe once this is settled and the new centre-left government is in place here (both by Christmas probably), then maybe we can look into a future German bid. I wouldn't really count on it to happen for 2036.

The IOC is going to frantically try to get 2036 in Europe. Seriously, it's the continent's to lose, since it's never gone more than 12 years without a Summer Olympics. The likes of India (TBW the weather is not conducive in the now IOC *preferred* July/Aug. timeframe), Indonesia (the weather can be an issue here too, just for starters), Doha-hah (need I say more) & even Istanbul (unfortunately) are all out. 

56 minutes ago, FYI said:

The IOC is going to frantically try to get 2036 in Europe. Seriously, it's the continent's to lose, since it's never gone more than 12 years without a Summer Olympics. The likes of India (TBW the weather is not conducive in the now IOC *preferred* July/Aug. timeframe), Indonesia (the weather can be an issue here too, just for starters), Doha-hah (need I say more) & even Istanbul (unfortunately) are all out. 

IOC will need to be more flexible with the dates, because at this rate we are going to end up with siberia being the only plaussible option

^It's the broadcasters that are really the ones that aren't flexible with the dates. And since a very substantial portion of the IOC's revenues comes from them, then the IOC also has to taken into account their interests. After all, lets be real, not many would probably watch the Olympics during the fall or holiday season. So you'll need to take it up with them. 

52 minutes ago, FYI said:

^It's the broadcasters that are really the ones that aren't flexible with the dates. And since a very substantial portion of the IOC's revenues comes from them, then the IOC also has to taken into account their interests. After all, lets be real, not many would probably watch the Olympics during the fall or holiday season. So you'll need to take it up with them. 

Is it broadcasters in general or just the US broadcaster?

1 hour ago, ulu said:

Is it broadcasters in general or just the US broadcaster?

I don't have the raw numbers, but it's probably safe to say, that NBC is indeed the largest IOC broadcast contributer. That said, though, I'm sure the European (& whoever the Canadian broadcaster is, I think it's CBC), not to mention the Chinese, Korean & Japanese broadcasters, also have substantial financial muscle. And combined, probably even eclipse NBC. So if one were to take all that into account, it's no wonder why the IOC would prefer the July/Aug. time window, since that's the time the audiences in those markets have the highest potential to be tapped into by advertisers for the Summer Olympics.  

It's NOT just the broadcasters and advertisers.  It's also the various Federations.  I think they are pretty tired of Covid and aberrant bids like the Qatar World Cup throwing their training schedules into disarray.  Broadcasters, advertisers, the federations, the NOCs form a pretty formidable bloc in major dislocations of the Olympic and world championships' sked.  

• 4 months later...
On 10/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, SportLightning said:

I think, Jakarta is possible to host the 2036 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Jakarta is investing in sports infrastructures but they lack of mass public transportartion.

Bangkok is much more advance for mass transportation and has all necessary venues.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, FYI said:

I don't have the raw numbers, but it's probably safe to say, that NBC is indeed the largest IOC broadcast contributer. That said, though, I'm sure the European (& whoever the Canadian broadcaster is, I think it's CBC), not to mention the Chinese, Korean & Japanese broadcasters, also have substantial financial muscle. And combined, probably even eclipse NBC. So if one were to take all that into account, it's no wonder why the IOC would prefer the July/Aug. time window, since that's the time the audiences in those markets have the highest potential to be tapped into by advertisers for the Summer Olympics.  

On 10/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

It's NOT just the broadcasters and advertisers.  It's also the various Federations.  I think they are pretty tired of Covid and aberrant bids like the Qatar World Cup throwing their training schedules into disarray.  Broadcasters, advertisers, the federations, the NOCs form a pretty formidable bloc in major dislocations of the Olympic and world championships' sked.  

Not often I get to say this here, but baron is absolutely right.  It's a little bit of everyone involved that wants that window.  Hardly just NBC that prefers it.

European nations want the Olympics to finish before football season gets underway.  NBC (and others) obviously wants it so that the Olympics finish before kids go back to school.  And sports federations like that window so they can have their regular event schedules and lead-up events.

On 10/24/2021 at 4:09 PM, Chris_Mex said:

IOC will need to be more flexible with the dates, because at this rate we are going to end up with siberia being the only plaussible option

They really don't though.  The current window gave them Paris, Los Angeles, and say what you want about Australia's decision to push for Brisbane because of the preferred dates over Melbourne.  The IOC has a lot of work to do in order to encourage more plausible options.  Being more flexible with the dates is not one of them.  If that window discourages certain countries from bidding, they'll likely be fine.  Especially when the IOC is firmly off the "new frontier" kick for good reason

On 3/20/2022 at 9:22 AM, Francois said:

Jakarta is investing in sports infrastructures but they lack of mass public transportartion.

Bangkok is much more advance for mass transportation and has all necessary venues.

Jakarta is literally sinking into the ground. 

Bangkok has major infrastructure issues. Some of the worst traffic congestion I've ever experienced. It's a non-starter.

• Like 1

If Vancouver's tilt at 2030 falters (which is looking more and more likely) I could see Toronto 2036 as a possibility. I don't think they need to bother with cohosting with Montreal - everything could be well contained within Southern Ontario. Assuming Hamilton gets the 2030 Comm Games there could be a great baseline of venues on top of Toronto's Pan Ams 2015. The only potential threats to this is Dubai, India or a major European capital (Madrid, Rome) or perhaps a another Brisbane-type host (Manchester?). 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

If Vancouver's tilt at 2030 falters (which is looking more and more likely) I could see Toronto 2036 as a possibility. I don't think they need to bother with cohosting with Montreal - everything could be well contained within Southern Ontario. Assuming Hamilton gets the 2030 Comm Games there could be a great baseline of venues on top of Toronto's Pan Ams 2015. The only potential threats to this is Dubai, India or a major European capital (Madrid, Rome) or perhaps a another Brisbane-type host (Manchester?). 

Great idea! One thing…

Where would they build the Olympic Stadium? 

On 4/1/2022 at 2:35 PM, AliciasBlade said:

Great idea! One thing…

I don't know - but given the IOC has relaxed on Olympic Stadium specifications I have a hard time believing a city like Toronto could not come up with an innovative solution for a 60,000 seat Games stadium that could be downsized post Games (we are talking about 2036 minimum here, so it could be a rebuild or replacement of BMO). 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, AliciasBlade said:

Great idea! One thing…

More important is who would the permanent tenant be. Unless the NFL comes to town Toronto has no need for an Olympic sized stadium. BMO is undergoing expansion for the 2026 World Cup so it's highly unlikely Toronto FC will be looking for a replacement.

2 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

Love it or hate it Qatar 2022's container stadium could be the solution for budding cities not wanting to be burdened with a large stadium post games.

It's an interesting concept to say the least. However I'm skeptical that Qatar will actually dismantle it post-WC especially given the face almost all of their stadiums were supposed to consist of a sizeable number of temporary seats that could be downsized and given to developing countries.

If MLS was on a level along the likes of the Premier League then yes but it's not and never will be. I know there's a few MLS clubs that can pack the big ones like Atlanta and Seattle but those are exceptions not the norm. NFL or bust for a new stadium in Toronto

I just realized something. If Toronto is awarded the 2036 Summer Olympics, then that would be the third time the Olympics return to North America after the Olympics took place in another Continent. 

Montreal 1976 (North America)

Moscow 1980 (Europe)

LA 1984 (North America)

Salt Lake City 2002 (North America)

Turin 2006 (Europe)

Vancouver 2010 (North America)

LA 2028 (North America)

Brisbane 2032 (Oceania)

Toronto 2036 (North America)

Wouldn't toronto account for the 3rd anglo-cultural country hosting the olympics in a row, 4th if we take as a fact SLC will host 2030/2034 winter olympics?, I mean we already had 3 asian olympics in a row but at least there's bigger differences between chinese and japanese culture, than american and canadian culture. 2036 it's for europe/africa/middle east or india

4 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Wouldn't toronto account for the 3rd anglo-cultural country hosting the olympics in a row, 4th if we take as a fact SLC will host 2030/2034 winter olympics?, I mean we already had 3 asian olympics in a row but at least there's bigger differences between chinese and japanese culture, than american and canadian culture. 2036 it's for europe/africa/middle east or india

Make that Anglo-Francophone since French is Canadas other official language.