Olympic Games 2028: Bid Competition

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can´t understand cutting those sports. Especially synchronise swimming. They will use the same venue as swimming, so it don´t cost any more. And table tennis, wrestling and all equestrian... For me it is a descrease all those get cut... :(

Well, there are legitimate arguments to be made for/against cutting existing sports and for/against adding new ones. I'm aware that this was a radically different path and would cause some astonishment, but I believe it's different from the usual programmes.

Nonetheless, the overwhelming majority of Olympic favourites are still there - and have been joined by new sports with a potential to do well too!

Always look on the bright side of things! ;)

2119602_orig.png

BREAKING NEWS: IOC DISCUSSING SURFING

There are indications from usually reliable sources close to the International Olympic Committee that the institution is reconsidering its controversial decision to introduce surfing in the 2028 Summer Olympics. One source declined to say more, but only added a cryptic remark: "Obviously, if things happen we would have to move fast to ensure that the Applicant Cities are able to react immediately. If I were you, I'd wait for an announcement sometime tomorrow."

More as this story develops...

Does the five page document include a cover page?

No. The cover page will not be counted.

Honestly, Surfing doesn't make sense as an Olympic sport, it requires really specific conditions to hold competitions, even more constraining than those of sailing. I don't get why Lacrosse is there either since the sport is almost not practiced outside the US and Canada (it's not even in the Pan Ams).

Cricket, Racquetball and Squash would make sense as Olympic sports except: you scrapped sports like Table Tennis and Wrestling for budgetary reasons but those sports usually share venues with other indoor sports, so that would result in one less indoor arena needed to be used. Adding Racquetball and Squash would mean adding another venue for those sports. So you're basically scrapping one venue to add another one, this wouldn't change anything to the problem (and I would argue that Table Tennis and Wrestling are more popular than Racquetball and Squash).

Same goes for Cricket, it would need another specific venue to be built (since most countries don't have cricket stadiums). It doesn't really make sense to include it in the program.

BMX is a popular sport and it's growing, I really don't see the logic behind scrapping it either. (as for Mountain Biking, I don't really know but it looks like it deserves a place at the Olympics to me)

Kicking Synchronized Swimming out wouldn't decrease the number of venues since it shares the same pool as Swimming... I don't see why it should be scrapped.

Equestrian is an Olympic staple to me, it's been there since 1912 and first appeared in 1900, but maybe that's just me. And once you have Equestrian in the program, having Modern Pentathlon as well doesn't change much either.

Golf can go I guess...

Since this topic has been raised a few times, I think I'll just provide a reply to the queries:

The deletion of certain events also brings benefits in terms of freeing up the calendar for new sports that may very well deserve their time in the spotlight. I certainly don't claim to have the ultimate insight on that. Therefore, the variant I'm offering is one of many - and certainly deviates from current IOC orthodoxy.

I take the arguments regarding surfing on board, and as mentioned previously, there will be an announcement regarding that tomorrow. In terms of cricket, the variant included is T20 cricket, which can be played in conventional stadiums as well, such as the Olympic Stadium in London (with comparably modest adjustments).

Equestrianism was dropped for a simple reason: Its elitist nature. It's not an accessible sport for many people, though (mind you) it is one that I have enjoyed during the Olympic Games - and am from a state in Germany with a proud tradition of equestrianism. In the past thirty years, equestrian events have necessitated the construction of dedicated stadia - which may often not be used to the same level of capacity post-Games. So, whilst in real life, I don't feel particularly strongly about equestrian events - and actually fall more towards the pro-equestrian camp - I have adopted a radically egalitarian stance for the purposes of this competition. Similarly, golf requires specific grounds and expensive equipment.

The popularity of BMX riding is debatable, with there being those in the know who not just assert that the sport has its best days behind it.

Synchronized swimming is essentially an unnecessary event. Yes, it can be done in the same pool - but why clutter up the calendar? I think it's also safe to say that synchronized swimming probably has an even lower off-Olympics following than BMX riding. The same applies for wrestling: It was already on its way out for the 2020 Olympics, before getting a reprieve up to and including the 2024 Olympics. Under my scenario, the IOC has simply decided to reevaluate its stance and return to the 2013 decision of scrapping wrestling to free up both TV time. Scrapping the table tennis tournament

So, whilst I knew that some of these decisions would prove to be unpopular, a rationale can be made for abolition: dropping these sports will free up time to accommodate new, faster-paced events like racquetball, squash and T20 cricket.

All of that said, I accept that a legitimate and strong case can be made for the sports currently on the calendar. I'm not disputing that. What I did though is to make a conscious choice to try a few new things out, see how people would react and also try to see how Applicant and Candidate Cities would run with this set of alterations. Especially now that they no longer have to contend with a golf course, a BMX track or an equestrian stadium, and with events scaled down, applications from hitherto good cities not happening to be mega-metropolises become more realistic. That can only be a good thing.

Overall:

1) Surfing concerns taken on board

2) The last word isn't spoken yet on sporting calendar

3) I definitely welcome all the feedback - it shows me that people care

4) People should definitely feel free to submit bids. I strongly encourage it!

I agree with DamC. Equestrianism is such a traditional and historic sport for the olympics I don't see why you would take it out. BMX is an exciting sport and I believe it is growing. I'm fine with golf being left out.... Wrestling is a very popular sport worldwide so you should leave that one. Table tennis doesn't require a lot of space so that should be left. Synchronized swimming should be left because like DamC said it doesn't require another venue.

Regarding surfing, I believe it should be left out cause it's too dependent on conditions. I don't feel like racquetball and squash are too popular and they're too similar so if you are going to include them only include one IMO. Cricket isn't too popular over here in North America but I know it is across the pond in Europe. I don't think cricket events will fill up to the capacities of olympic stadiums at the olympics so it will probably require another stadium

Like DamC said when you disclude events and you say it's because they need other stadiums, you can't add more events that need other stadiums.

Also I would like to add that baseball/softball is just as popular on the Americas and some of Asia as cricket is in Europe.

260px-Olympic_rings_without_rims.svg.png

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

The President

To: the Members of the Gamesbids Olympic Family

For immediate release

London, 20 January 2015

Re: 2028 Sports and Reevaluation by the IOC, Cities with right to introduce one sport of choice

The International Olympic Committee has taken note of the reactions to its recent decision to amend the Olympic Programme. Whilst not traditional to do so, it will address these concerns and (where applicable) announce a revised conclusion.

NEW SPORTS

Cricket isn't just popular "in Europe", it's actually quite popular in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Caribbean and most other countries of the Commonwealth - and it appears that even college campuses in the United States are not entirely impervious to the sport. We're talking an audience of 1.5 billion consumers here - if equestrianism was included, so can cricket. Baseball wasn't exactly popular in Greece when it was still part of the Olympic programme, with Athens' baseball arena having become a "white elephant" - and as I have already said in the post directly preceding your quote T20 cricket can be played in a conventional stadium, with comparably modest modifications - and yes, that includes smaller stadiums that many cities already possess. So, this is a market that the ICC will want to capitalize on - therefore, the decision to include T20 cricket stands.

Several sources have expressed their dissatisfaction with surfing being included into the Olympic Programme. After a more in-depth examination of the matter, it is found that those concerns are indeed warranted. Surfing will therefore not be on the programme for the 2028 Olympic Games.

Whilst there are major differences between squash and racquetball, the IOC considers that both sports should be launched in a gradual manner - therefore, squash is retained in the programme for the 2028 Olympics, whilst racquetball shall be reconsidered for a future Olympic Games.

Lacrosse will remain on the 2028 Olympic Programme.

EXCLUDED SPORTS

The arguments regarding equestrianism have already been addressed here. The decision to exclude it stands.

However, the decision to exclude wrestling from the Olympic programme stands.

The decision to exclude golf from the 2028 Olympic Games stands.

EXCLUDED SPORTS TO BE REINSTATED

The arguments regarding mountain biking have been revisited. Given its popularity since the 1996 Olympics, the Committee has reconsidered its decision and will keep it on the Olympic Programme.

BMX riding is also retained.

Due to the passion expressed for synchronized swimming, the event is reinstated for the 2028 Olympic Programme. Similarly, table tennis will be part of the 2028 Olympic Games as well.

PLUS1 OPTION FOR APPLICANT CITIES

The International Olympic Committee has further decided to permit the host of the 2028 Olympic Games to include one sports event, in addition to the Olympic Programme which has now been determined. This also includes one of those sports excluded from the Olympic Programme

These decisions by the International Olympic Committee are final and no longer subject to revision. Applicant Cities are hereby requested to take them into account when planning their bids for the 2028 Olympics. A revised chart of sports for the 2028 will be issued later today.

Well regarding the horses. Why does they need a new stadium? At the Europeans championschip 2013 in the Danish city Herning, they used the citys football stadium. 10-12.000 seats. On this link there are a video from there http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Oevrig_sport/2013/08/24/131558.htm, and about 30 seconds in the video there are a good overview from the stadium. So its not about Building a lot of new venues, but rethink the use of existing and be creative. And i really think they need to be a part of the Olympics.

And Again the synchronised doesn´t add venues, so why drop. You claim the calendar. But i always feel that the first week is very compact, and the second week more open. And the synchronised is in the second week, so that is not an argument for me. The charm of the Olympics is exactly all those different sports, and when you cut som small exotic sports you loose some of the charm. I also feel squash and other sport should be a part of the Olympics, why not Beach handball and Beach soccer for example.

But why drop table tennis? Why not badminton? What make you decide on table tennis? As beeing from Denmark where Badminton is very big, I of course apreciate that, but why did you choose so?

Just as well with wrestling. Why not Fencing or Taekwondo?

In my dream World the Olympics either expanded to last 3 weeks and then way better could reuse venues, and add more sports that deserve to be in it. Or another drastic decision split the Olympics in two, and hold one every 2. year, and add more sport. The sports will of couse only have Olympics every 4. year, but there will be one every 2. year. It will reduse athletes to perhaps 7.000 and venues will be redused. But in total number of athletes and sports will be bigger. 2x7000 athletes. Then we can discuss, of the same city should hold both with 2 years apart, or different cities should bid on each. But I am mostly for expand for 3 weeks and then perhaps only 1000 more athletes, and reuse of venues.

Well, that is your competetion and your decision, so perhaps that question should be moved somewhere else :)

Hans, see the last post. ;)

The Plus1 option gives every Applicant City the option to bring back one of the sports that have been excluded - for example, equestrianism or wrestling.

Plus, table tennis, synchronized swimming, BMX riding and mountain biking are back on the schedule as well.

FINAL LIST OF SPORTS (scroll down all the way)

LAvSiD.png

PLUS: T20 Cricket, Squash and Lacrosse AND one sport which you can choose from (and which should make sense). This expressly INCLUDES a sport which has been discontinued for the 2028 Olympics.

Hmmm... I can get behind that program. But now what we need to know is:

- how many teams compete in T20 Cricket? what's the format of the competition? how many days will it last? what's the minimum capacity for the venue?

- same questions for Lacrosse

- same questions for Squash + how events? (single, doubles, mixed doubles?)

I obviously mean "how many events" for Squash, sorry for the mistake and the double post

Hmmm... I can get behind that program. But now what we need to know is:

- how many teams compete in T20 Cricket? what's the format of the competition? how many days will it last? what's the minimum capacity for the venue?

- same questions for Lacrosse

- same questions for Squash + how events? (single, doubles, mixed doubles?)

I obviously mean "how many events" for Squash, sorry for the mistake and the double post

In reply to your questions:

T20 Cricket: The top 8 teams from the ICC World Twenty20 tournament in 2024; two separate groups of 4 teams each; round-robin format in each group, followed by Bronze Medal Match between runners-up of Groups A and B; and the Final between winners of Groups A and B. The tournament would start 5 days before the Opening Ceremony, with the Final taking place the day prior to the Closing Ceremony. Minimum capacity of the venue: 10,000 spectators; can be an existing stadium or a new one.

Squash: Top 32 male and female players, each; men's and women's tournament; division into four groups,; with best four (winners of groups A, B, C and D) progressing to the semifinals, followed by the final and bronze medal matches; Point-a-rally scoring system; best of three sets in the group games; best of five in finals and bronze-medal match; Minimum capacity of the venue: 5,000 spectators (the Commonwealth Games had 2,500), 6 courts; can be standalone or part of a multi-purpose complex.

Lacrosse: Top 8 teams from the World Lacrosse Championships; two separate groups of 4 teams each; round-robin format in each group, followed by Bronze Medal Match between runners-up of Groups A and B; and the Final between winners of Groups A and B. The tournament would start 5 days before the Opening Ceremony, with the Final taking place the day prior to the Closing Ceremony; Minimum capacity of the venue 7,500 spectators; can be an existing stadium or a new one;

Also, bear in mind that in this competition (and apparently according to Agenda 2020), you can also locate events within the vicinity of the hosting city. For instance, small stadiums in the surrounding region can be an option too. Hope this helps and good luck! I would be glad to receive a bid from you!

Cricket and Lacrosse should have 12 teams, just like most team sports.

Keep in mind PBE that Mens and women's lacrosse are two totally different sports.

I adapted the format for the Olympic Games, especially as it would the sport's first time. Also, scheduling within these two weeks or so is important as well - so compromises have to be made, hence the cut-off and round-robin formats.

*the sports' first time (apologies for the typo)

Anyway, that all having been said, here are the current Applicant Cities, in no particular order

• Cairo/Alexandria
  • Paris
  • New York City
  • (Copenhagen/Malmo)

Another 2+ weeks to go!

So how long will the candidate files have to be?

In order to recap, and also immediately answer questions from future Applicant Cities, here's a very condensed summary containing links to the detailed answers everyone may be looking for.

FILE REQUIREMENTS

For the Applicant City phase: I refer you to this post and this one. The cover page of your file will not count towards the 5-page limit.

For the Candidate City phase: There is a maximum limit of 25 pages, excluding graphs and maps. You are not obliged to produce anywhere near this - but quite obviously, the more detailed your plans, the better. The precise criteria that you need to address in one way or another (how you do it is completely up to you) are outlined here, in the section titled "The Submission and Evaluation of Bids" > Candidate City Phase. Please ignore the timeline in that very first post, it has been changed! (see also below)

Feel free to let real-life bid books written by successful Olympic Cities inspire you. However, I'll post more about this once we get to the Applicant City deadline.

APPLICANT CITY DEADLINE

6 February 2015, 18:00 GMT

TIMELINE OF THE COMPETITION

Can be found right here.

LIST OF OLYMPIC SPORTS DURING THE 2028 GAMES

Please see here. Also scroll down all the way, since the additional sports (and the ONE sport that can be freely chosen by the Applicant City) are contained there. Also, please be advised that this list is final and you will need to design your bid around these requirements.

REQUIREMENTS AND PLANS FOR THE THREE NEW SPORTS

See here

WHICH CITIES CAN'T BID?

All Summer Olympics Games hosts who hosted an Olympic Games from 1968 onwards, i.e. Mexico City, Munich, Montréal, Moscow, Los Angeles, Seoul, Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Berlin* (*the winner of the last bid competition here on GB)

You are free to choose any other cities you want, including those which have hosted the Winter Olympics. For example, you could submit a bid for Vancouver to host the Summer Olympics (even though it has already done the 2010 Winter Olympics). And so on...

----

I hope this helps, especially as everything you need to know has been outlined here.

However, I shall now wait for everyone's bids to be submitted and wish you all good luck!

Archived