Olympic Games 2028: Bid Competition

GUIDANCE FOR CANDIDATE CITIES ON PRELIMINARY APPLICATION FILES

The Committee also issues the following guidance on the format of the Preliminary Application Files.

Formal Requirements

• Times New Roman, font 12, single-spaced
  • Maximum number of pages: 5
  • PDF file
  • To be uploaded to a platform accessible to the IOCG
  • Deadline for Submission: 6 February 2015

Thematic Requirements

• The Preliminary Applicant File is merely an executive summary of the intended bid.
  • The topics to be covered include 1) Proposed dates and rationale behind the bid (i.e. reasons to select this Applicant City over others); 2) Climate of Applicant City (temperatures, weather issues; times to be avoided); 3)Transportation (particularly air, rail and road transport; but also metropolitan public transport network); 4) Preliminary list of venues;
  • Candidate Cities are permitted to include further topics, provided that the document stays within the 5-page limit
  • The focus is on content, not graphics or presentation; right now, it's strictly about the reasons the Applicant Cities should progress to serious consideration as the 2028 Olympic City

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ADDENDUM TO GUIDELINES OF SUBMISSION

It is further announced that the final deadline for the submission of the Preliminary Applicant Files will be 6 February, 18:00 Greenwich Mean Time.

CURRENT APPLICANT CITIES

Intentions to bid have been announced by New York City (United States), Cairo/Alexandria (Egypt) and (on a provisional basis) Copenhagen/Malmo (Denmark/Sweden).

The IOCG looks forward to these Applicant Cities submitting their preliminary files, and additional cities to decide to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games.

Good luck to everyone!

New York City Releases Bid Logo for 2028 Olympics

The logo represents the empire state building, a famous landmark of New York. The colors of the building are the five colors on the Olympic rings. New York's slogan is "Dream Big". More details about New York's bid will be released within the next couple of days.

05cefb156d76e286dd73eb3f7b6ddaff.jpg

Cairo Unveil 2028 Olympic Bid Logo:

Cairo, Egypt.

After a day it announced it's bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics, the Cairo 2028 Bid Team unveiled their bid logo in front of yet again an enormous crowd. The logo features the Egyptian Eye with it's slogan: 'Africa's Time Has Come'.

r8uM7F.png

260px-Olympic_rings_without_rims.svg.png

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

The President

To: the Members of the Gamesbids Olympic Family

For immediate release

London, 19 January 2015

Re: Exclusion of Previous Olympic Cities; Olympic Sports

Today, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has decided to exclude all those cities from contention for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games, which have already staged the Summer Olympic Games in the past fifty years, starting with the Olympic Games in 1968. The exclusion has been announced to broaden the field of new entrants for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games and increase the diversity of the Olympic Family. In tune with Baron de Coubertin's mission to spread the values of the Olympic Movement internationally, the exclusion will enable new cities from established countries to bid. In this context, the IOC notes the application by New York City (United States). Further, the exclusion also extends to the hosts of the 2016, 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games, Berlin.

The cities excluded are: Mexico City, Munich, Montréal, Moscow, Los Angeles, Seoul, Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Berlin

The IOC-G would like to stress that other cities from the NOCs concerned remain eligible. This expressly includes the host cities of all editions of the Olympic Winter Games and all editions of the Summer Olympic Games prior to 1968.

OLYMPIC SPORTS

The Committee further announces that for reason of cost inefficiencies for the host cities concerned, as well as limited audience reach, the following sports are being eliminated from the Olympic Programme, with effect from the 2028 Summer Olympic Games:

• Golf
  • BMX
  • Mountain Biking
  • Modern Pentathlon
  • Synchronized swimming
  • Equestrian events
  • Wrestling
  • Table tennis

The following sports are hereby being introduced with effect from the 2028 Summer Olympics

• Squash
  • T20 Cricket
  • Surfing
  • Lacrosse
  • Racquetball

In this regard, the Committee notes the disappointment expressed by the individual federations whose sports were eliminated. However, balancing the Olympic Movement's mission to spread the values of the Olympic Movement also requires considering the issue of accessibility by a wider audience. Cricket is widely popular across the Commonwealth (with the 2011 Cricket World Cup semifinal alone being watched by 1 billion people). T20 has proven to be a successful format and will therefore be introduced at the 2028 Summer Olympics. Surfing and squash are popular sports among young people and reach markets untouched by erstwhile sports in the Olympic Programme.

This step will also make it easier for prospective Applicant Cities to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games. All Applicant Cities are hereby instructed to take the above decisions into account when planning their venues in the Applicant and Candidate City Phases.

It is hoped that the following graphic will be of assistance

z2fzuz.png

PLUS:

• Squash
  • T20 Cricket
  • Surfing
  • Lacrosse
  • Racquetball

Wait so I can keep running with New York City right? Also since Agenda 2020 says you can have sports that are popular in your country so I am going to include baseball in my plan. Also, why are you cutting sports like BMX and wrestling?

Yes, you can definitely keep running with NYC - no worries! However, keep in mind that the competition can and will occasionally contain new twists - such as the elimination and addition of new sports. It'll be interesting to see how the individual Candidate Cities will address this issue.

Further, this IOC will not necessarily adhere to all the policies of its real-life counterpart - some of those policies may even contradict those of the "real IOC". Hence, several sports being cut and others being added.

In terms of Agenda 2020: Yes, every Candidate City in this competition may suggest ONE sport that is popular in the host country as part of its venue and sporting plans, on top of the Olympic Programme proposed above.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Yes, you can definitely keep running with NYC - no worries! However, keep in mind that the competition can and will occasionally contain new twists - such as the elimination and addition of new sports. It'll be interesting to see how the individual Candidate Cities will address this issue.

Further, this IOC will not necessarily adhere to all the policies of its real-life counterpart - some of those policies may even contradict those of the "real IOC". Hence, several sports being cut and others being added.

In terms of Agenda 2020: Yes, every Candidate City in this competition may suggest ONE sport that is popular in the host country as part of its venue and sporting plans, on top of the Olympic Programme proposed above.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Okay thanks for the clarification!

Anytime!

And to all of those who are still thinking about throwing their hat in the ring. Do it! It's gonna be a lot of fun!!

Cairo to release bid video soon:

Cairo, Egypt.

It has just been reported during a meeting held by the Cairo 2028 Bid Team that member have been working on a promotional video that will soon be released. The video will cover the venues that are going to be used during the games in Cairo and Alexandria. It has also been reported that only 4 sports will be hosted by Alexandria and the rest will be hosted by Cairo.

I'm really interested by this competition but the scrapped sports and the new additions are kinda nonsensical (especially Lacrosse and Surfing) :/

Hello DamC!

You're very welcome to suggest an additional sport, so you can bring back one of the sports you like. The new Olympic Programme is definitely something different, and I just want to see how Applicant Cities would deal with such a curveball being thrown at them. I've based all the newly introduced sports on recent debates that have been going on, and tried to incorporate increased popularity, as well as spirited discussions regarding sports that should be eliminated as well.

Different people will see the same aspect differently - but the important thing is that we can still have a great bid competition, and you should be part of it!

Which city would you bid with?

Cairo'28 Bid Members inspect proposed Venues in Alexandria

Alexandria Egypt.

As reported earlier tonight, Alexandria will host 4 events if Cairo wins the rights to host the Summer Olympic Games in 2028. The following sports will be hosted in Alexandria:

-Rowing

-Canoe Kayak Slalom

-Sailing

-Football (Preliminaries)

Several members of Cairo'28 were sent to inspect the proposed sites in Alexandria, the Alexandria Stadium is amongst the proposed venues. There is likely to be a Inspection Report which will be sent back to the Headquaters in Cairo. We will report back to you as soon as possible.

I just want to clarify with baseball and softball, since softball is the woman's version of baseball, it counts as the same sport so that wont be adding two sports right?

Thanks for your question. Yes, rest assured that baseball and softball will essentially be regarded as the same sport.

So, um, anyone got some suggestions as to what city I should enter with?

Do you have a favourite continent?

logo_afp_sports_250px.png

IOC President: "2028 race in early stages, no apparent favourite"

LONDON (AFP) - Speaking to journalists after the announcement of the most radical shakeup of the Olympic sporting programme in the past 25 years, the President of the International Olympic Committee, plusbrilliantsexploits (PBE) showed understanding for the unhappiness among some International Federations.

"But of course. It is perfectly in line with expectations when some of those IFs which have seen their sport eliminated from contention express their disappointment. And that's perfectly normal. In fact, if I were an IF President to whom this had happened, I would be quite upset. But as President of the IOC, it is my task to serve the wider good of the Olympic Movement. Including cricket, for example, brings us a staggering audience just on the Indian subcontinent - and that doesn't include the rest of the Commonwealth".

PBE named the example of equestrian sports which have "become somewhat dated, a preserve of the rather wealthy sections of society". Dropping equestrian disciplines from the Olympic Programme "gives the sport an opportunity to reflect, implement the changes needed to become more appealing to wider sections of society and come back stronger than ever". The President declined to comment on claims of "class warfare" and a "lack of understanding of the passion riders have for this sport", apparently made by senior executives of the International Federation for Equestrian Sports (FEI). "You may very well think that this was said, but I couldn't possibly comment", was the President's answer.

However, PBE was more than happy to talk about the race to host the 2028 Summer Olympic Games: "Of course, it's rather early days. There are still almost three weeks left until the Applicant Cities need to declare themselves, so I'm confident that further cities will step forward. I am quite pleased about the declared candidacies of New York City and Cairo/Alexandria - worthy opponents, no doubt".

Asked whether there was a favourite in his eyes, the President asserted: "Simple answer: No", laughed and stepped away. Currently, New York City and the joint bid of Cairo/Alexandria have formally declared their candidacies, whilst Copenhagen and Malmo are considering a joint bid as well.

So I'm going to commit suicide and go with Paris. Wish me luck.

Also, could you possibly limit the lengthy posts. They are rather tiresome and boring to read through and were a bit of a turn off. Also I think this may be a little complex and I second Scotguy's time frame proposals and I think we should not add any sports, but keep all the ones the movement currently has.

So I'm going to commit suicide and go with Paris. Wish me luck.

Welcome to the competition!!!

Also, could you possibly limit the lengthy posts. They are rather tiresome and boring to read through and were a bit of a turn off. Also I think this may be a little complex and I second Scotguy's time frame proposals and I think we should not add any sports, but keep all the ones the movement currently has.

A new timeframe was posted earlier today - here you go! Most of the posts are there to provide clarity to the Applicant and Candidate Cities, and make sure that all questions are answered. The remainder are there to add a bit of "colour" to the proceedings.

Whilst your observations re: the dropped/added are understandable, the new sports programme as outlined here stands.

A new Paris bid should be an inspiring venture - I really like the city, so I genuinely look forward to what you have in store for us. Merci et bonne chance!

Surfing is ridiculous. I think everyone would agree with that. The other added sports make sense though.

Thanks for the praise on the added sports (-surfing) ;))

Archived