Olympic Games 2028: Bid Competition

Hi everyone!

I know it's been quite a while since I posted here in the forums. Nonetheless, I've been reading many of the discussions on here with great interest. Plus, major props to Sir Rols for running an logo competition for the Olympic Games.

While I know that the last chapter of this competition hasn't been written yet, I've been inspired (also by my participation in the 2024 bid competition headed by Paul) and would like to suggest a new competition for the 2028 Olympic Games. Of course, there is always the danger of competition fatigue, but hear me out on this one! And please bear with me, it's a detailed post!

The details of the proposed competition

To put any doubts to rest: I'm more than happy to head up the competition myself. In fact, I have a concrete idea of the parameters within which the competition is going to take place. In this thread, I would like to especially call on the well-established members like Sir Rols to comment on their experiences, so that the envisaged rules can be refined and adjusted to accommodate for previous experiences. That said, here goes:

TIME

The competition will deal with the 2028 Summer Olympic Games.

Any city in the world may submit its bid. The plausibility and viability of the bids submitted to the International Olympic Committee will be evaluated upon submission of the bids.

PURPOSE

This will expressly be a bid competition, to submit a formal application file on the respective city's bid for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games. The elements for the envisaged application file will be set out below, but will also include a logo. Issues like war, terrorism, natural disaster probabilities and the like will be considered by the International Olympic Committee.

THE SUBMISSION AND EVALUATION OF BIDS

Applicant City Phase

In order to not have people waste their time devising extensive files for bids that may end up being disqualified, the IOC will first examine preliminary applicant files. Think of them as concise executive summary of the bids concerned. With a length of 5 pages max (Times New Roman, ft 12), the topics covered will be dates, climate, transportation, infrastructure and preliminary list of venues and a brief summary of the bid rationale. The IOC will be permitted to ask any questions of the Bid Leaders during this phase. Members of the Committee will be able (and are encouraged) to discuss the preliminary applicant files with their colleagues.

At some point, the discussion will be declared over and I will formally announce the IOC's voting (which will be conducted in secret) on the Applicant Cities (think of it as my version of the IOC Technical Commission). This is expressly NOT a vote on the merits of a city against the other cities, BUT a vote on its technical AND philosophical suitability: in other words, the IOC members will essentially vote on the question, for each city (with a simple YES/NO format), whether they believe that the city concerned can realistically pull off the 7+ years effort of preparing for their Olympic Games and whether it's minimally equipped to stage those Games.

Instead of a competition against each other, each city will have to clear a 60% hurdle within the IOC to qualify, namely in at least two out of three successive rounds. If a city fails to secure 60% on two out of three rounds, its application will be deemed rejected on technical grounds. An announcement will then be made regarding the cities which will move onto the Candidate City phase.

Candidate City Phase

This phase will see the Applicant Cities compete with one another for the honour of hosting the 2028 Summer Olympic Games. The IOC will invite the Candidate Cities to expand and update their preliminary application files to submit a formal Final Application File. The maximum number of pages (excluding maps, charts and the like) will be 25 pages, to be submitted in PDF format.

At minimum, the Final Application File will contain the following

• Table of contents
  • Dates of the proposed Summer Olympic Games
  • Rationale for the Summer Olympic Games
  • Benefits of hosting and bidding
  • Climate
  • Preliminary logo and rationale
  • Political situation at the time of application (2015)
  • City's experience with sports events
  • Legacy of the Games and further use of Olympic facilities
  • Ticketing and Marketing arrangements
  • Overall venue plan (both as a map and a detailed explanation of clusters)
  • List and presentation of the venues concerned for the Games
  • Security issues
  • Timeline of the events
  • Description of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies proposed
  • Transportation Plan
  • Projected cost (rough estimate) and financing of the Games

You are free to be as detailed as you can, and to add topics that you feel are important for the Games to be realistic and a success. All cities will be encouraged to be innovative and creative. Do the bid files in a way that reflects YOUR way of doing things. The most important thing is to convince the International Olympic Committee that your city 1.) has what it takes OR 2.) doesn't have it just yet, but is on its way; OR 3) a combination of 1)/2) and its potential to spread Olympic values to a new country, continent, region or city. It's completely up to you.

Voting Phase

The International Olympic Committee will then vote on the 2028 Olympic City. The voting system will essentially give each member as many overall votes as the number of cities. These votes will be cast as preferences, basically ranking your most favourite city to the least favourite city.

The twist? The vote of your most favourite city will be multiplied by the overall number of cities, whereas the second and third cities will get your votes multiplied by the overall number of cities MINUS ONE.

In a six-city scenario, one vote by an IOC member would be split like this

City A: 1st preference x 6 = 6 votes

City B: 2nd preference x5 =5 votes

City C: 3rd preference x4 = 4 votes

City D: 4th preference x3 = 3 votes

City E: 5th preference x2 = 2 votes

City F: 6th preference x1 =1 vote

Voting will take place under the principle that the city with the least votes will be eliminated, round-by-round. The Olympic City will be the one which beats all other cities AND secures 50%+1 vote within the IOC.

Now you will ask, "Who will be the IOC?". Good question!

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE - 2015 version

The IOC will consist of at least 8 and a maximum of around 12 members PLUS myself as the President of the IOC (namely to produce an uneven number in order to minimize a stalemate on any issue). These will be experienced members of this forum, who have in various ways made a contribution to the forum. I'm aiming for a wide representation from all regions.

It goes without saying that none of the IOC members may submit bids themselves. Should you, however, withdraw your bid in a timely fashion and are a well-established member of this forum, there is nothing stopping the IOC from co-opting you as a new member.

WHO CAN DO THE BIDS?

Frankly anyone who feels like it! I encourage wide participation, as this will make for a great competition overall. Now, for the most important question on your minds, the timeline.

WHY THOSE DETAILED RULES?

To avoid confusion and uncertainty; to minimize disputes and bad feelings; most importantly, to permit you the creativity to have fun with this concept!

TIMELINE

18 January 2015: Announcement of the competition. Time begins for announcing intention to bid.

28 February 2015: Applicant Cities to formally submit their Preliminary Application Files. Discussion within IOC begins.

30 March 2015: Voting begins in IOC on Applicant Cities to progress to Candidacy Phase

5 April 2015: IOC announces results and Candidate Cities selected.

30 May 2015: Candidate Cities to present and submit Final Application Files.

10 July 2015: IOC to begin voting on the Olympic City

15 July 2015: Announcement of the results; Designation of the Olympic City

And now, let the Games begin!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS: All forum members are encouraged to comment on the proposed preliminary and final bids once the respective deadlines for submission have passed. Also, the IOC membership numbers aren't set in stone. If someone is REALLY interested in having their voice heard, I'll definitely try my best to include them - especially based on their membership and posting record on here.

Also, I just realized that I the example regarding the division of votes should read like this:

In a six-city scenario, one vote by an IOC member would be split in the following manner

City A: 1st preference x 6 = 6 votes

City B: 2nd preference x5 =5 votes

City C: 3rd preference x5 = 4 votes

City D: 4th preference = 1 vote

City E: 5th preference x2 = 1 vote

City F: 6th preference x1 =1 vote

And upon reflection, I will let all GamesBids forums members with a solid posting record and good standing vote (publicly) on the Olympic City. The Candidate City selection vote will still be undertaken by the IOC. An Evaluation Report for the final bids will be published by the IOC sometime during the Candidate City Phase, prior to the final vote - to assist the voters with their final decision. Sorry for all the posts, but since I can't edit my previous posts, this is the only way for me to add corrections etc to the overall scheme. Thanks everyone!

Miss Eurasia - awesome news!

Hans - maybe you could ask someone from the forum to proofread your submission! I would welcome a Copenhagen/Malmo bid!

Oh, and btw, in deviation from "our" IOC in real life, THIS International Olympic Committee will accept joint bids from two cities or more, provided that they are in close proximity with one another (and you guessed it, that's entirely up to the discretion of the President) ;))

Cairo to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics:

Cairo, Egypt.

Minutes ago in front of a huge crowd, Cairo announced it will be bidding for the Summer Olympic Games in 2028. There was a mixed reaction after the bid was announced, many were angered by the idea but the anger was soon taken over by the roar of the majority of the citizens who were pleased by the thought. 'I strongly believe it's Africa's turn and what other place can we celebrate the first African Games than Cairo?' Said an overjoyed citizen. Cairo made a previous attempt in hosting the 2008 Summer Olympics, but did not make the shortlist. Alexandria also bid for the 1920 Summer Olympics but they were given to Antwerp, Belgium respectively. Cairo's current and only competition is a joint bid from Copenhagen and Malmo. We wish all other applicants the very best!

Details on our logo and applicant file will soon be revealed.

NOTE: The reference to the International Olympic Committee

200px-Olympic_rings_without_rims.svg.png

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE OF GAMESBIDS

COMITÉ OLYMPIQUE INTERNATIONALE DE GAMESBIDS

To whom this may concern

The President of the International Olympic Committee of Gamesbids (IOCG) hereby seeks members for the determination of a winning bid for the hosting of the Games of the XXXIV Olympiad, to take place in 2028 (henceforth referred to as "the 2028 Summer Olympics").

Given that a balanced representation of all continents in the world is envisaged (subject to population numbers and contribution to the Olympic Movement so far, the President of the IOCG invites a minimum of 9 members and a maximum of 14 members to volunteer for the position of Member of the IOCG. The members are to fulfill the following attributes:

• No interest in taking part with a bid for the 2028 Olympic Games (within the framework of the 2028 Olympic Games Bid Competition)
  • Members of this forum who have been around for 3 years and with at least 150 posts
  • Willing to

- read the brief, 5-page Preliminary Applicant Files of the Applicant Cities,

- vote on the designation of the Candidate Cities,

- read the Final Applicant Files

- and score the Candidate City bids on the basis of predetermined criteria, for production of an Evaluation Report prior to the final rounds of voting by the

entirety of the IOCG's extended membership (the Gamesbids forum members who have been around for at least 1 year and have made at least 75 posts preceding this announcement today)

In addition, the Committee is seeking the following minimum numbers

9-14 members

2-3 Europe

2-3 The Americas

2-3 Africa

2-3 Asia

1-2 Oceania

The IOCG President looks forward to forum members putting themselves forward as IOCG members!

Yes of course!

@ Plusbrilliants - just tried to send you a message via PM, but your box is full. Could you clear a spot for me to send it.

Inbox cleared!

Cairo to include Alexandria in 2028 Olympic Bid:

Cairo, Egypt.

Soon after the announcement that the Egyptian Capital Cairo will be bidding for the 2028 Summer Olympics, a presentation was shown to the Egyptian Olympic Committee which would include details of the venues, accommodation and more. The presentation also included that Cairo will include Alexandria in its bid. Alexandria was a candidate for the 1920 Summer Olympics which were given to Antwerp, Belgium respectively.

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

The President

To: the Members of the Gamesbid Olympic Family

For immediate release

London, 19 January 2015

The International Olympic Committee has the honour and privilege of announcing that Sir Rols has formally been appointed as a member of the IOCG Executive Committee for Oceania. Alongside the other members to be chosen, he shall be responsible for evaluating the preliminary and final bid files, whilst making a recommendation in the Evaluation Report on which city shall be hosting the 2028 Summer Olympic Games.

Furthermore, the IOCG continues its call for forum members of good standing to volunteer their services for the vote. Once again, it is near-certain that the entire IOCG (and not just the Executive Committee) will vote on the 2028 Olympic City.

More announcements will be made, as this story develops.

NB: The IOCG is looking for Executive Committee members from all continents and major countries. The Committee encourages those from (for example): for example, for Europe, a German/French and/or British IOCG member would be good. From Oceania, we can either do with another Australian member or one from NZ. And so on...

New York City to bid for 2028 Summer Olympics

Mayor Bill de Blasio has announced that New York will bid for the 2028 Olympics. An organizing committee is being formed and it is believed to include Dan Doctoroff and former mayor Michael Bloomberg. Both of them believe that New York can present a excellent bid to the IOC. New York's goal is to inspire the world to dream big.

I am interested, although what bothers me is that although the concept of this comp sounds good, it is a large time frame from now until July and I am worried that over this time interest may decrease.

Also after the Pan Am comp i entered fizzled into nothing and stopped halfway through, i am wary of putting in more work on this.

I am interested, although what bothers me is that although the concept of this comp sounds good, it is a large time frame from now until July and I am worried that over this time interest may decrease.

Also after the Pan Am comp i entered fizzled into nothing and stopped halfway through, i am wary of putting in more work on this.

I agree, but I'm already in so eh what the hell!

18 January 2015: Announcement of the competition. Time begins for announcing intention to bid.

28 February 2015: Applicant Cities to formally submit their Preliminary Application Files. Discussion within IOC begins.

I think that 4 weeks to produce and submit a 5 page brochure is a bit lengthy, perhaps this should be reduced to 2 weeks.

I think that 4 weeks to produce and submit a 5 page brochure is a bit lengthy, perhaps this should be reduced to 2 weeks.

This is definitely being considered!!

The original idea behind this was to take account of the fact that people may not have enough time on two successive weekends, because of work or education commitments. But at this stage, the timeline isn't set in stone and is subject to amendments.

Like is it necessary to have a month between applicant submissions and voting for them, and then 2 months between candidate submissions and voting, I think those can be dwindled down to a couple days or even a week or two.

You have a point. I meant to give Exec Members (in the Applicant City phase) and the whole forum (in the Candidate City phase) enough time. Plus, like in the last competition, I'm hoping to have an Evaluation Report in the Candidate City phase prior to the Final Vote.

I do think, though, that the timetable for the preliminary phase can be compressed. Stand by for an announcement, which should be due shortly.

Thanks for your input, to both of you!

WHy not use the IOC deadlines? :lol:

Je vais volontaire pour lancer la pièce pour le gagnant ! :lol:

Good one, Baron! :P

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

The President

To: the Members of the Gamesbids Olympic Family

For immediate release

London, 19 January 2015

The President of the International Olympic Committee hereby announces a revised schedule for the bidding for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games. This is to take account of the feedback received by National Olympic Committees and other members of the Gamesbids Olympic Family.

TIMELINE

• 18 January 2015: Announcement of the competition. Time begins for announcing intention to bid.
  • 6 February 2015: Applicant Cities to formally submit their Preliminary Application Files. Discussion within IOC begins.
  • 15 February 2015: Voting begins in IOC on Applicant Cities to progress to Candidacy Phase
  • 16 February 2015: IOC announces results and Candidate Cities selected.
  • 7 March 2015: Candidate Cities to present and submit Final Application Files.
  • 15 March 2015: Publication of the Evaluation Report on the Candidate Cities
  • 20 March 2015: IOC to begin voting on the Olympic City; Designation of the Olympic City (at the earliest)
  • 22 March 2015: Announcement of the results; Designation of the Olympic City (at the very latest)

Contrary to the original timeline, the bidding process will now be completed prior to the Easter festivities and well ahead of the original July timeline. Further, the new timeline provides sufficient time (19 days in the Applicant City Phase and 19 days in the Candidate City Phase), whilst reducing voting to one day in the Applicant City Phase and one weekend in the Candidate City Phase. The new timeline also leaves enough time for discussion of the bids and their merits within the Executive Committee and the wider IOCG.

DESIGNATION OF NEW IOCG EXEC MEMBERS

Additionally, the Committee continues its call for established members of the Gamesbids forums to serve as Members of the IOCG. All continents are requested to put in nominees, whether publicly or by PM to the President. Thank you.

Archived