IOC Opens Invitation Phase For 2024 Summer Games

GBModerator

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) opened a new “invitation phase” Thursday for potential 2024 bid cities ahead of the September 15 deadline for the formal submission of bids. So far Rome, Germany and Boston are the only declared candidates.  Germany said it will submit a bid from either Berlin or Hamburg. IOC executive director Christophe […]

View the full article

As much as I know people got mad just because "irrelevant" thread about South America is the one featured in the Newswire section at home, a post to make any other thread up ...

So has Boston officially bid? Like are they an official applicant now? What is this phase? Seems new..

None of them have officially bid. Rome just stated that they will put in a bid, but hasn't officially done so. Boston was just chosen to be the US candidate, but the US has yet to formally declare that they will in fact bid for the games. They have until September to formally put in a bid.

None of them have officially bid. Rome just stated that they will put in a bid, but hasn't officially done so. Boston was just chosen to be the US candidate, but the US has yet to formally declare that they will in fact bid for the games. They have until September to formally put in a bid.

No, the US declared it will bid in December and then selected Boston to be our city and Rome is already forming a committee.

I would call this the non-official applicant phase. My impression is that it's a chance for cities thinking or preparing about a bid to work with the IOC on their bid. It's all a part of them opening up.

Even though no official bids have been announced, Rome and Boston seem the most serious about bidding at the moment, but it does look like Germany will bid with either Berlin or Hamburg, Paris might bid and maybe Durban.

I just hope all the discussions with the public and all the voting to see if the public want the city to bid, can be done before a city bids officially, to prevent withdrawing halfway into the bidding, otherwise we end up with another 2022 type bidding. Agenda 2020 might help a city bid aswell.

If you're referring to 2022's case, it was mostly because public support was in the grabbage. As of now, the public support factor for Boston and Germany are both on the positive support majority, so we can be a little more confident (with those two, anyway) that they won't pull out

(ha pull out)

These seems to be a much longer process then before. 8 month period to announce a bid? Bit ridiculous. I guess it gives more time for referendums etc. Still too long.

Not really, because on the usual bidding ways, the bidding starts after the previous bidding, but this time, the 2024 bidding has started before the 2022 announcement, which gives Cities time for voting to see if the bid is supported as you mentioned. It's better this way IMO, because it can give less chance of Cities withdrawing halfway into the bidding, plus Agenda 2020 can give that support in a bid aswell.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived