Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

South Africa Proposes Bidding For the 2024 Summer Olympics

Inspired by the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) recent Olympic Agenda 2020 reforms, South Africa is preparing to propose a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Gauteng Province had been mentioned as a potential contender for an Olympic bid, but Ivan Hoff, head of sports at Gauteng Province, told a panel at the Soccerex Global […]

View the full article

Inspired by the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) recent Olympic Agenda 2020 reforms, South Africa is preparing to propose a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Gauteng Province had been mentioned as a potential contender for an Olympic bid, but Ivan Hoff, head of sports at Gauteng Province, told a panel at the Soccerex Global […]

View the full article

Uh-oh. Here we go ...

Whoa! Horses back to the starting gate. It may have been premature (but that's par for the course for South African bid announcements):

Sascoc focused on Commonwealth bid

Sascoc says it will only consider a bid for the 2024 Olympic Games once the IOC has opened the process.

“The board has not received any notification or correspondence from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) with regard to the bidding process for the 2024 Olympic Games,” SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) chief executive Tubby Reddy said in a statement on Wednesday.

“Therefore, the issue of South Africa bidding for the 2024 Olympic Games does not arise.

“Once this communiqué is received, the Sascoc board will engage with Honourable Minister Fikile Mbalula and national government on whether one is going to consider an Olympic Games bid in 2024.”

Reddy said Sascoc’s priority was to deliver a successful bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games (CWG) to the City of Durban.

Sascoc said bidding process for the CWG required enormous time, dedication and resources.

“The board of Sascoc is at this time fully committed to bidding for the Commonwealth Games in 2022,” Reddy said.

“The first step is to win the bid and then to deliver a successful Games.”

Reddy said South Africa’s Olympic body would not be deterred from delivering the Commonwealth Games.

“Winning the bid for the CWG will be very significant for the City of Durban, especially as the other city is Edmonton, Canada,” he said.

“Canada has already hosted the Games four times. We are seriously focused on the prize of winning the bid and we will not be distracted by other issues that have not been sanctioned by the Sascoc board.”

The vote on the 2022 Commonwealth Games bid city will take place in Auckland on September 2.

The Citizen

SASCOC has come out with different statements at different times, sometimes contradictory, and often the government have said "errrr...do you mind asking us?"

You never get the impression that the stakeholders are pulling in the same direction in SA. I'd love to believe this latest statement, but we'll see. Is the government actually supporting 2022 as well?

Same here, I'd like to take what they're saying at face value, but... well, they don't exactly have a great track record.

Maybe Durban should put more effort into their 2022 Commonwealth Games bid, to show they are serious about their bid. Then, they will certainly host the 2022 Commonwealth Games if they put in more effort, which will then give them more chances of hosting a Summer Olympics in the future.

SA would be foolish and irresponsible to bid on the Olympics, no matter how desperate the IOC is to have an African host for the Olympics. And it's rather irresponsible of the IOC to give the Olympics to a nation that has yet to address their poverty issue on a larger scale.

But I do think aiming for the smaller Commonwealth Games would be more ideal and use that experience to prove to the IOC that it's more than capable of handling a Summer Olympic games, just like Rio did with the Pan American games.

South Africa? Especially after the experiences of the 2010 World Cup and its muddled social legacy? Not a chance.

SA would be foolish and irresponsible to bid on the Olympics, no matter how desperate the IOC is to have an African host for the Olympics. And it's rather irresponsible of the IOC to give the Olympics to a nation that has yet to address their poverty issue on a larger scale.

Umm, Brazil, China, Russia? That's all fine & dandy on the moral scale, but try telling that to the millions that live in the favelas. If we're wanting to apply what's responsible for one, then we need to apply it for all.

However, the IOC's extravagant party is seen far from being 'responsible' & only a 'foolish' expense by many no matter where it's actually held these days.

Exactly. Like FYI said, Brazil, China etc have a similar problem to South Africa, didn't stop them from bidding. Durban would have a good bid I reckon, but they should put the effort into their 2022 Commonwealth Games bid.

Brazil was in the top 8 economies when they won the hosting rights to the 2016 Summer Games and on the high human development index area they hosted an super Pan American Games in 2007. Right now the economic superpower of Africa is Nigeria and I don't see them hosting the games at all for an while with the anti gay laws there and a civil war between Christian South and Islam North. The South African economy been stagnant for an while and South Africa does not have a good legacy from the FIFA World Cup. It may be another 50 more years until we see Africa hosting it's 1st Olympics and Paralympics Games I just don't see it happening in the 1st half of this century and what we seeing is no communications from the Government of South Africa and the Olympic Committee of South Africa in regards to the bids it's looks like it's only the Committee and Durban city government which is pushing it.

Just bcuz a country like Brazil had a booming economy when they won the Olympics, still doesn't negate the millions living in utter slum there, if some want to make the argument of what's "responsible" for the citizens of certain countries.

Brazil was in the top 8 economies when they won the hosting rights to the 2016 Summer Games and on the high human development index area they hosted an super Pan American Games in 2007. Right now the economic superpower of Africa is Nigeria and I don't see them hosting the games at all for an while with the anti gay laws there and a civil war between Christian South and Islam North. The South African economy been stagnant for an while and South Africa does not have a good legacy from the FIFA World Cup. It may be another 50 more years until we see Africa hosting it's 1st Olympics and Paralympics Games I just don't see it happening in the 1st half of this century and what we seeing is no communications from the Government of South Africa and the Olympic Committee of South Africa in regards to the bids it's looks like it's only the Committee and Durban city government which is pushing it.

So you used to think Almaty could host a Winter Olympics, but you don't think Durban can host the Summer Olympics?

So you think Lima can host a Summer Olympics, but you don't think Durban can host the Summer Olympics? Your wrong with those theories GCL.

So you used to think Almaty could host a Winter Olympics, but you don't think Durban can host the Summer Olympics?

So you think Lima can host a Summer Olympics, but you don't think Durban can host the Summer Olympics? Your wrong with those theories GCL.

A Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games are much smaller then the Summer Games and I never said Lima Peru will host the games I said if they do a great job in hosting the 2019 Pan American Games and host another big event like the World Games then they could be likely to host the Summer Games. I personally know people and sporting people from Durban they say it's too small for the Olympics and Paralympics Games I don't see Africa hosting the games any time soon.

A Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games are much smaller then the Summer Games and I never said Lima Peru will host the games I said if they do a great job in hosting the 2019 Pan American Games and host another big event like the World Games then they could be likely to host the Summer Games. I personally know people and sporting people from Durban they say it's too small for the Olympics and Paralympics Games I don't see Africa hosting the games any time soon.

Yes, I do know a Summer Olympics is bigger then a Winter Olympics. But most of us told you months ago that Lima won't host a Summer Olympics. Everyone knows the IOC will want the Summer Olympics to be hosted in Africa one day, Durban will be the best chance.

I personally know people and sporting people from Durban they say it's too small for the Olympics and Paralympics Games.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

That's interesting, I would like to know a lot more about Durban- we know so much about European, American, Australian, Asian cities and their capabilities, but potential African bidders are a bit of a mystery. I always wonder whether Durban has the 'scale' for a SOG....but I don't really know.

That's interesting, I would like to know a lot more about Durban- we know so much about European, American, Australian, Asian cities and their capabilities, but potential African bidders are a bit of a mystery. I always wonder whether Durban has the 'scale' for a SOG....but I don't really know.

If you want to know more about Perth or how Lake Placid could host an Olympics using a high school as their media center, ask GCL. If you want to know more about Durban, ask someone else.

That's understandable. But when you have GCL (of all people) squawking that they "personally know people & 'sporting' people from Durban" about their lack of capabilities, it warrants the emoticon.

This is the same individual that cites "Europe is on the brink of civil war. And that Perth & Western Australia is going to be the next powerhouse of Australia & the Southeast Asia within the next decade or two, etc, etc". So I can't help but take any of his further feeble blatherings with a grain of salt.

or how Lake Placid could host an Olympics using a high school as their media center, ask GC.

To be fair, though, that one is all Lord David.

To be fair, though, that one is all Lord David.

Good point, forgot about that. Hard sometimes to separate 1 person's loony ideas from another