GamesBids Tokyo 2020 Olympic Logo Comp  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tokyo 2020 logos should be chosen for the shortlist of the 2020 Logo Comp?

ejmAwN.jpg

M0ph92.jpg

GNgpa7.jpg

Okay, hit it Kirsten,

Thanks to the beautiful and talented Kirsten Dunst for helping us all Turn Japanese for the summer leg of the GamesBids Tokyo 2020 Logo Comp. And welcome everybody to Yoshi's Island, which I presume is somewhere in the seas around Japan.

YoshisIsland--article_image.jpg

Soyoshi and Palette have kindly agreed to host us on the island for the duration of the 2020 vote, and in return have a special task for us to complete during our time in pixel land. But more on that later.

More to the point, it's now time to decide our short list of five entries from the 17 Tokyo 2020 logo designs submitted above. All our heavy-hitters from the 2022 vote are back, plus a few new entrants. There's a couple of new designs there also that GamesBidders will not have seen yet. Entry O is from the 2022 WOG logo winner, aismanggo. Mr Bernham has submitted a new updated entry (F). Entry L is from a long-established member who has requested he remain anonymous for the time being. Let's see what you think of the design before unmasking our last-minute entrant.

So, onto the rules:

• Vote in the poll above for your nominations for the Tokyo 2020 shortlist from the selections above.
  • You may vote for UP TO Five (5) member's logos from the selections.
  • You may vote for less than five, but if you vote for more your votes will not be counted.
  • Entrants MAY NOT vote for their own logo.
  • You MAY post your reasons for your decisions, but try to be respectful please.
  • Voting will last approximately 24 hours. The poll will close after 8am Tuesday January 13 2015, Sydney time (9pm January 12 GMT). After this time, the votes will be collated, and the top five logos in terms of votes will proceed to the first elimination poll round.
  • In the event of a tie for fifth (or higher) place giving us more than five logos, all tied logos will also move on to the elimination rounds.
  • Voting is limited to members of GamesBids as of December 1, 2014 with a bona fide posting history. The judge's (my) decision on what constitutes bona fide, and the validity of votes, is final.
  • I'll decide any other rulings on the fly if necessary.
  • I will vote in this round.
Those are the basic rules. Also, as mentioned, Soyoshi has a special request while we're on the island. It seems Godzilla has been awoken from the depths and is very impatient for a Tokyo 2020 logo to be chosen.

8DxO7H.jpg

Every round we go without crowning a winner, he will lay a new city in Japan to waste in his fury and frustration (he has already razed Fukushima as this poll starts)! Only when we have a majority verdict and a logo winner, will he quieten down and agree to come to Yoshi's Island and leave the home islands alone. He has about five stops before he destroys Tokyo itself - can we choose a winner before he does so and so save the 2020 games? It's up to you to stop him - and the only way to do that is to reach consensus in time.

We have only two ways to delay him if the voting rounds take too long for his taste:

I can play my special tie-break card if we are forced to a tiebreak run-off:

h3qT2j.jpg

Or, any round in which Pikachu is still alive in the comp, he may (if Puppy lets him off he leash) delay Godzilla from smashing the next city in his path into smouldering atomic rubble.

Okay everyone. Satisfy Godzilla! Save Tokyo! And crown our next Logo Winner! Good luck to all our entrants!

And my votes:

I was hoping with this comp that we'd see more that would try to convey the modern Tokyo, that futuristic, exciting, colourful, chaotic and maddening metropolis, rather than a "traditional" approach. I've tended therefore (with some exceptions) to go towards the ones that shy away from cherry blossoms and rising suns.

A - don't laugh. I could really see this working as a way to capture a youth spirit for the games. Copyright issues aside, this captures the technological and youth appeal I was after.

M - another logo which doesn't go the traditional route, and is amore universal approach to capturing Tokyo's spirit.

N - Okay, I try to remain neutral, but while we're on this stage and I can vote, I would urge everyone to vote for this one. This to me captures best the chaos, energy and colour of modern Tokyo. And I think this could actually work as a logo for 2020. It's not too literal, it's anything but traditional, and what could really brand Tokyo 2020 in an exciting fashion. I hope this isn't the kiss of death Woohoo (my picks rarely seem to fare well), but I really hope this lasts till the final round and comes through to win!!!!! (please, please, please vote for N)

My two exceptions to the "modern" rule, looking at the sheer craft:

J - another very beautiful rendering by Danny. A bit cliche Japan, but very prettily rendered. I have to award it's craftsmanship.

P - by far the most original rendering of the rising sun in the comp. It does the sun with energy that does convey tradition, but with a modern edge.

Oops. I voted before I read the rules. I voted for 6, including my own, so I guess you can just remove my own-vote (E).

Sorry!

No worries. I'll do so.

___

I'm just dumbfounded that Woohooitsme83's N doesn't seem to be connecting with voters so far. What's there not to like? It's the standout for me - I'll be disappointed if we end up with a shortlist of five variations of a rising sun (I'm not saying the rising suns don't deserve to win, but it would be great to get some variety). To me N is the future!

C - Because I like the simplicity of it, and it's many meanings which is very common for these kinds of logos

F - Very basic with the sakura, but is the most refined of all those like it

I - idk It looks like an old logo and it looks cool that way

O - This one shows off the different sights of Tokyo, which is cool. You have Fuji TV, Sky Tree, Metropolitan Building, Yoyogi Gymnasium, and some buildings that I can't recognize. The only thing I would have done differently if I made it would be change the colors a bit so they aren't the basic Olympic colors. Maybe something that represents Japan as a whole or something.

P - This or O is my favorite. Sure, its the classic rising sun, but I can see this being the actual logo if it had the chance. It embodies the fans of the old days but at the same time looks modern. Also the gold text is a super plus, that's classic for Japan and is better than their current flesh colored version of gold the actual Tokyo 2020 team uses...

I'm just dumbfounded that Woohooitsme83's N doesn't seem to be connecting with voters so far. What's there not to like? It's the standout for me - I'll be disappointed if we end up with a shortlist of five variations of a rising sun (I'm not saying the rising suns don't deserve to win, but it would be great to get some variety). To me N is the future!

well, it's not that good so there's that. it's a bunch of paint splatters. really there are some way better options here.

I'm all for you having an opinion - but blatant politiking for one design over another leaves me a bit cold. Not quite fair and balanced there Rols...

As for Woohooitsme83's design - it has a bright visual impact - but how is it going to look in black and white? How will it register on a pin from a few feet away? I mean he has obscured the word 'Tokyo' with a blob of paint and it is just too abstract to suggest Tokyo without the word branding visible.

It is a nice looking punky design but without the fully fledged explanation that there is Mt Fuji in there somewhere it doesn't realy hit a home run.

As for symbolising the "chaos, energy and colour of modern Tokyo" - I was just in Tokyo and unless you actively look for chaos you wont find it. Tokyo is well known for being orderly and meticulously well run. Energy maybe. Colour? On weekends in Yoyogi Park and the shopping street sof Harijuku. Most of Tokyo is muted in tone. Chaos? Ridiculous. You could do a design like this for Seoul maybe. Bangkok perhaps.

My logo is an obvious joke. I am going to assume your last couple of posts are as well.

Certainly have - the crush is insane however the system rarely breaks down or runs delayed. Thus the system works!

The last grey logo works. The other two - not so much.

Just note - I am not attacking your logo. I like it. I voted for it. In my opinion it has as much to do with Tokyo as a water filled pothole has to do with NYC.

Archived