Universiade 2019-Brasilia Bows Out

Didn't see this posted yet. I hope a recent big event host city gets this. Kazan again? Or Guadalajara with pan ams facilities.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/universiade/summer-universiade/1024662-brasilia-pull-out-of-hosting-2019-summer-universiade

First 1989, now this. I wonder if Duisburg will be available again this time. At least they'll have more time to prepare and they wont have to reduce drasticaly the number of events like back then.

PS: For those who didn't knew, yes. Brasilia was supossed to be the 1989 host. Then stuff happened.

^^ My bad :P but still, this resignation is unfortunate. Of the major brazilian cities Brasilia was the one for which i was the most interested that it would host a major sport event in the future (besides the world cup).

The last government of Brasilia-Federal District was terrible. They destroyed the finances of the Federal District (it's something similar to District of Columbia - a special division for the capital - but the population can vote for their governor and local legislative branch)

Since January 1st, Brasilia have a new government and they are fighting to solve a lot of problems due the lack of money. Public Health System and Education are on strike and the city is dealing with a lot of problems...

In this scenario, you can't even think about hosting a major event like the Universiade, specially, when you need to pay 23 million euros just to asure the right to host the games - which sounds absurd to me.
Still, I would love to see other big city in Brazil replacing Brasilia to host the games.

Brasilia is a b***h of a city to build anything anyway, because of its modernist thingies. Just relocate somewhere else where they want to pay for this empty show and save us from the embarassment (and another multibillion dollar bill). Give it back to Asia. :P

I think Brasilia 2019 would be a nice project in better times. Prob. would have built a lot of unnecessary stuff though. I think it's a good thing that Brazil is now listening to its people who would rather see hospitals, schools, etc. built. I wonder if Santiago might try to 'steal' this event, might have same issues though? Also, bet Glasgow could easily pull this event off, but doubt they'll try. But honestly, like DannyelBrazil, I could see other city like Belo Horizonte maybe pulling this off too. Never been to Brazil, but when I learned about Brasilia in a college class, it seemed like someone's urban dream or epcot or something, not like a real or 'natural' city?

city in Japan.. Nagoya? :)

Looking at pictures... Why are there no trees in the middle? It looks like they could fit a golf course (which I think are the worst) or world's fair there. I think like a 'central park' would be nicer? Is lack of trees one of reasons it's so dry? I know DC has a national mall, but that axis is like ridiculous.. :lol:

• 1 year later...

The legacy plan is turning the Olympic Park in to the Olympic Training Center. Deodoro's shooting centre is used for training and national competitions. The velodrome, golf course and the new Deodoro venues worry me, though. Specially the velodrome and golf course because there's no use for that here...

I see the U's in both of those, and kinda get it. Taipei looks like they cut a couple U's in half and flipped the pieces, and the Kazan one has an actual, explicit U at the very least.

I suppose they only need something that somewhat resembles a curve in there to ensure creative expression freedom and whatnot.

Archived