Je suis charlie

But really, with his citizens dancing in the streets and the support he brought to terror, M. Abbas should have f*** off home (and I don't usually have a foul language). His presence is a shame and a serious insult to the 4 Jewish victims.

That's not exactly true, at least if you refer to the Palestinians' reaction to the attacks in Paris:

http://news.yahoo.com/hamas-condemns-charlie-hebdo-attack-140325193.html

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Palestinians-in-Hebron-protest-Paris-terror-attacks-on-Charlie-Hebdo-Jewish-shop-387306

But I agree with you that Abbas' appearance in the march can be judged controversially. But I for my part acknowledge his gesture. I think it's an important sign that even in the Muslim world and even in a country where (if I remember correctly) protests took place against the various Mohammed caricatures by the Danish newspapers and Charlie Hebdo, these attacks are not accepted. Even if one always has to take that good will with a pinch of salt, of course. Next time a Western magazine draws a Mohammed caricature, flags will probably burn again in Palestine, too.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't. 12 innocent people got killed. On top of 2 members of the public in Sydney who were simply going by their daily routine in a cafe. Sure the response may have been heartwarming but it does not stop the fact that there are terrorists out there ready to kill at any moment. We don't need to live in constant fear but we shouldn't be posting Islamophobic and other religious hate speech just for so called 'humour'.

Actually, a hell of a lot more than 12 innocent people got killed that day. Still, out of 7 billion, that's not bad. We give the terrorist power when we let *relatively* minor incidents scare us. You make the choice to live in fear or not. Please choose "not."

We don't need to live in constant fear but we shouldn't be posting Islamophobic and other religious hate speech just for so called 'humour'.

The cartoons were no where close to islamophobic. Charlie Hebdo is a left/far left newspaper, and the cartoons aimed at denouncing radical islamism. 17 people got killed for that.

By the way, a new edition of Charlie Hebdo will come out soon and it'll, of course! contain cartoons of Mahomet. I'll buy it. They don't like it, they'll get even more of these.

Glad the US had a top leader in the march, really showed how we stand with Europe and France and against terrorism :rolleyes:

Are you serious??? Do you know how long a flight from the US to France is??? It's at least 8 hours one way. As much as I would have liked for Obama to be there, it would have taken a lot out of his schedule. The same with John Kerry who was in India at the time. Top leaders in Europe don't have to sacrifice as much to be there since it's only about a 2hr flight to and from almost every country in Europe. Had the march not been impromptu then I'm sure he would have tried to find the time to make it out there. Don't be a dick about this, there's plenty of that to go around on the site.

Are you serious??? Do you know how long a flight from the US to France is??? It's at least 8 hours one way. As much as I would have liked for Obama to be there, it would have taken a lot out of his schedule. The same with John Kerry who was in India at the time. Top leaders in Europe don't have to sacrifice as much to be there since it's only about a 2hr flight to and from almost every country in Europe. Had the march not been impromptu then I'm sure he would have tried to find the time to make it out there. Don't be a dick about this, there's plenty of that to go around on the site.

Don't bust too much on Bernham. He's just parriotting what he heard on Fox News, Rush whatever. Of course, the right wing media wasn't sure what they thought about the march. So they waited to see what Obama did. Had he gone... BAD IDEA. When he didn't go... BAD IDEA.

Don't bust too much on Bernham. He's just parriotting what he heard on Fox News, Rush whatever. Of course, the right wing media wasn't sure what they thought about the march. So they waited to see what Obama did. Had he gone... BAD IDEA. When he didn't go... BAD IDEA.

I get the sense that Bernham lives in a brainwashed far right win household.

...very disappointed that the US government didn't send the president or VP to the march yesterday, i guess that can cause some bigger issues far all (maybe they can't prepare that fast). it was a big miss.

But you know...sometimes the one who isn't there really casts the biggest shadow. And this was really just a photo opp...more than anything deeply substantial. At least sending no one rather than just Michelle and the girls was better, no??

And there was this...

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Je-Suis-Charlie-rally-at-San-Francisco-City-6008453.php

I get the sense that Bernham lives in a brainwashed far right win household.

I get the sense that you are very intollerable towards people who disagree with you in some political theaters...kinda like my nut-job conservative grandmother.

Actually I despise Fox News. All they do is stir up hate and ignorance in our country. I'm glad Dish dropped them, the whole damn country needs to do it too.

OMG! 8 F*cking hours! The horror! You're telling me Biden or someone from his administration could not have represented the US? I get it, the President is a busy man, but surely someone could have been sent. I'm pissed a Congressional leader did not even go. Send someone besides the damn ambassador.

I didn't know that wanting a high up US official at a march against terrorism made me a blood red conservative.

The cartoons were no where close to islamophobic. Charlie Hebdo is a left/far left newspaper, and the cartoons aimed at denouncing radical islamism. 17 people got killed for that.

By the way, a new edition of Charlie Hebdo will come out soon and it'll, of course! contain cartoons of Mahomet. I'll buy it. They don't like it, they'll get even more of these.

Depicting the Prophet Mohammed wearing a bomb isn't Islamophobic? Fascinating.

And i'm sure you buying the newspaper depicting Islamophobic hate will stop these radical terrorists from doing such unspeakable acts.

I condemn these acts and my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims families but buying hateful magazines targeting a religion and it's prophet is not the way to stand with the victims.

OMG! 8 F*cking hours! The horror! You're telling me Biden or someone from his administration could not have represented the US? I get it, the President is a busy man, but surely someone could have been sent. I'm pissed a Congressional leader did not even go. Send someone besides the damn ambassador.

I didn't know that wanting a high up US official at a march against terrorism made me a blood red conservative.

This was organized within a 36hr period, there was no way they could have set up Obama with the amount of security detail it takes him, the VP, or his wife and daughters to attend such an event. And with their presence it would not have been such a public event, no way would our security let our president stand in a crowd of a million people like the leaders of many nations did.

And a congressional leader? No thanks. The last thing we need to do is send in one of the worst aspects of our current government over there, especially if it was a republican congressional leader.

And no it doesn't make you a republican if you demand Obama's presence over there, but rather ignorant on the situation and what it takes for a president to go and visit such events.

I get the sense that you are very intollerable towards people who disagree with you in some political theaters...kinda like my nut-job conservative grandmother.

My grandma is the same way. I guess we have something in common.

Depicting the Prophet Mohammed wearing a bomb isn't Islamophobic? Fascinating.

And i'm sure you buying the newspaper depicting Islamophobic hate will stop these radical terrorists from doing such unspeakable acts.

I condemn these acts and my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims families but buying hateful magazines targeting a religion and it's prophet is not the way to stand with the victims.

This cartoon you refer to was precisely meant to criticize - as i said - radical islamism. No moderate muslims took it the wrong way. Charb, the paper's most famous cartoonist, had a girlfriend...And she is Arabic, former Minister (Jeanette Bougrab).

Silence is certainly not gonna stop them from doing such unspeakable acts either, it's just going to make you bend. I hope that's not your way of reacting to threats; it's not ours.

Also they don't "target a religion and its prophet". If you knew the paper, you'd know everybody s been heavily criticized: Jews, Chrstians too. That's their tone.

If you think hatred is on our side, you've probably been on another planet the past few days...

This was organized within a 36hr period, there was no way they could have set up Obama with the amount of security detail it takes him, the VP, or his wife and daughters to attend such an event. And with their presence it would not have been such a public event, no way would our security let our president stand in a crowd of a million people like the leaders of many nations did.

And a congressional leader? No thanks. The last thing we need to do is send in one of the worst aspects of our current government over there, especially if it was a republican congressional leader.

And no it doesn't make you a republican if you demand Obama's presence over there, but rather ignorant on the situation and what it takes for a president to go and visit such events.

I understand that it does take a lot to prepare any visit, but I still feel as though we could have sent someone or maybe the President make a video showing his support. It would have been nice for their to be something beyond the standard "We are deeply troubled over these events and send our deep condolences to the victims and the people of [insert country]." that every US President says after the initial event.

My grandma is the same way. I guess we have something in common.

You have no idea...last night she said, "Islam is Cancer that must be terminated and America is that chemo therapy. We must get rid of them all."

*FACEPALM*

No Grandma...just stop. My next question was if she knew anything about Islam and of course she said no. Ugh...ignorant conservatives.

It was like being stuck in a car with Baron for an hour.

this is nu baron though, and nu baron is just an old bitter troll desperate for any attention at all. he all but admitted it in the other thread. social media is his only outlet to the world.

the best thing anyone could do for is to ignore him. he might actually be forced to go out and find a real friend. the closest thing he has these days are people a half world away too nice to say anything to him about his bigotry, probably because they know no good can come out of feeding his trolling.

this is nu baron though, and nu baron is just an old bitter troll desperate for any attention at all. he all but admitted it in the other thread. social media is his only outlet to the world.

the best thing anyone could do for is to ignore him. he might actually be forced to go out and find a real friend. the closest thing he has these days are people a half world away too nice to say anything to him about his bigotry, probably because they know no good can come out of feeding his trolling.

Twisted bore, as usual. Why should I bring my real friends onto the nest of vipers that GB is -- with you as its queen viper? :lol:

To use a tired cliche here on GB, get your own f*cking life, you boring gargoyle.

This cartoon you refer to was precisely meant to criticize - as i said - radical islamism. No moderate muslims took it the wrong way. Charb, the paper's most famous cartoonist, had a girlfriend...And she is Arabic, former Minister (Jeanette Bougrab).

Silence is certainly not gonna stop them from doing such unspeakable acts either, it's just going to make you bend. I hope that's not your way of reacting to threats; it's not ours.

Also they don't "target a religion and its prophet". If you knew the paper, you'd know everybody s been heavily criticized: Jews, Chrstians too. That's their tone.

If you think hatred is on our side, you've probably been on another planet the past few days...

Ah ok, one of the cartoonists has an Arabic wife, it's not Islamophobia now.

And you're right in saying silence is not going to do anything. Campaign, mourn the loss, try to find terrorists and punish those within ISIS. Publishing hateful cartoons designed to anger these terrorists isn't the way to end it. (I'm not saying the attacks were justified, but several forum members have basically said they would buy the controversial magazines to provoke/annoy the radical terrorists). And i'm aware they target numerous religions and religious leaders including the pope. That still doesn't make it ok...

There's satire and then there's downright hatred.

We can't agree...You keep saying they're hateful cartoons, which they're not in my eyes, you keep talking about hatred when we think the right to criticize a religion is sacred and unquestionable.

That's not even the debate anyway. Ask your fellow Aussies from the Lindt Cafe if they had published any cartoon with their prophet. You don't seem to realize you're dealing with psychos.

But I've said it all.

Archived