Guess which city the USOC will put forward as their 2024 candidate ?

paul

Guess who will be chosen as the US 2024 candidate city.  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What city do you think the USOC will put forward for 2024?

• Boston
    • DC
    • Los Angeles
    • San Francisco
  2. 2. What city do you want the USOC to put forward for 2024?

• Boston
    • DC
    • Los Angeles
    • San Francisco
    • I don't think the US should bid for 2024.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I knew the US was guaranteed to win, and we were just picking a city to host, I'd be all over Boston.

But there will be competition, and I think LA will be far and away the best candidate. It's not even close. And even though I think very little of the IOC, I do believe that have enough brains to realize this.

I'm starting to think that San Francisco will be picked, although I don't think America should bid, because I don't think America will host. It's just the way I see it. Of course, if it's America vs Qatar, the IOC will choose America.

If the "I don't think the US should bid for 2024" wasn't an option. I would've picked DC. It's got great history, great culture, and a beautiful backdrop for the games. However, my heart is really with NYC. I think NYC would be the best option for the US to win.

My brain tells me LA, but my heart says SF. During the 2020 bid race, my brain prayed for Madrid, but my heart suggested Tokyo. Tokyo won. Who should I trust now?

Well, considering that you weren't here when the 2020 race was going on, then you woulda known that many here didn't have their "heart set" on Tokyo. Many were citing the "been there, done that" angle against them in comparison with the other two virgin cities.

The IOC seemingly voted with their brains that time instead of their heart bcuz that was what the dynamics of that bid race entailed. I believe the USOC is in a similar position here like the IOC was two years ago. And maybe the USOC will vote accordingly. At the very least, trim down the damn list tomorrow!

San Francisco is the US city that I most would like to host. It's exotic but at the same time has a certain old world feel ie. a tight urban core and not too spread out, suitable climate and nice scenery. Then again I wouldn't want it to lose and that's quite likely depending on the European opponents.

I get the impression that LA will be chosen but it's a 'been there, done that' option.

Boston might be a nice town but leaves me indifferent, I get the impression of a little brother for New York.

I don't know Washington very well except for the government, but for some reason I am not particularly fond of the East Coast cities as Olympic hosts with Miami perhaps being an exception but it is culturally and climatically very different from the cities up north and anyway not suitable due to the weather.

Well, considering that you weren't here when the 2020 race was going on, then you woulda known that many here didn't have their "heart set" on Tokyo. Many were citing the "been there, done that" angle against them in comparison with the other two virgin cities.

I was following the discussions during the time (granted without an account) but never really bothered to join in.

San Francisco would offer a beautiful setting. DC is a long shot, of course, but it is a booming, dynamic area. Its iconic monuments, decent and expanding metro system and the natural beauty of Maryland and Northern Virginia could make for a remarkable setting. I just cannot see why LA should get a third shot. Let another city have a chance to be a showcase.

Would love to see Boston give the East some Olympic recognition, but in my heart it's LA, simply because they are the benchmark proven Olympic hosts. If LA didn't front, it would be Boston. Either which way, 2024 is a real tough competition by the looks of things.

Im going to go against the majority and go with Boston. It would be interesting to see what they can do. What time will they announce which city will represent the US?

I too went against the majority and picked Boston who I think they should give it to, with San Francisco being the one they will more likely give it to. Yes LA is a guaranteed success, but what a stale and unexciting bid that would be. We were just there 30 years ago. And while yes the city has changed since then, it hasn't changed all that much compared to what Rome, Berlin, and Paris have since they last bid. I think the best chance LA has is if all 3 of those mentioned didn't bid, or their economies collapsed by the time the voting began. I don't see that happening to Berlin though if they choose to bid.

Berlin should be left out of the equation for now, for three reasons:

1 It has a domestic competitor, and while Hamburg seems second from an international POV, it does seem to have a slight edge with DOSB.

2 If DOSB picks Berlin anyway, there's a referendum hurdle to cross as well.

3 If that passes, there's the 99% guarantee Germany will get EURO 2024. Olympics and Euro in the same year? No way. A German bid 2024 is IMHO only to be seen as a warm up for 2028, provided Europe doesn't get 2024.

3 If that passes, there's the 99% guarantee Germany will get EURO 2024. Olympics and Euro in the same year? No way. A German bid 2024 is IMHO only to be seen as a warm up for 2028, provided Europe doesn't get 2024.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from Turkey.

When does the Euro 2024 host get chosen? Will it be before or after the decision on the 2024 Olympic host in 2017?

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from Turkey.

When does the Euro 2024 host get chosen? Will it be before or after the decision on the 2024 Olympic host in 2017?

I don't think there's an exact date, but with the new 24 team format, there's very few options in general and Germany is the only one with an official intention to bid yet. By all accounts, some deals have already been made and no other serious bid will come along.

DOSB (and DFB) denies an effect on the Olympics bid though. Statement was sth like "70% of IOC members don't even know about the Euro bid". Incredibly arrogant and/or deluded.

Archived