jazKb6.jpg

Lg7jU3.jpg

RBZNC0.jpg

T5lQ1n.jpg

m9M939.jpg

PWZRVD.jpg

QFnw6m.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjobdArtiA

Well, who else was a going to open the voting? Conchita is booked for the results announcement. And speaking of Conchita to host and guide us through the voting rounds, we have the two most famous Austrians in the entire universe, the delightful and divine Miss Conchita Wurst Wurst and the former Terminator, Governator and now Logonator, Arnold Schwarzenegger!

STJYJU.jpg

Conchita: Wilkommen to Salzburg! Und the launch of voting for the GamesBids 2022 Vinter Olympic Games Logo Comp, Cut-und-Paste edition. Ve are just so excited to see you all here.

Arnold: Ja, Conchita and I are truly pumped for der action now, as you the voters ponder the 45 finalists shown above representing the magnificent seven bidding cities, und decide who are the expendables and who haff the right stuff to become our final Dirty Dozen.

Conchita: Ve vill be with you every step of the way, as ziss year, because of the so many, many fine und outstanding entries, und to start celebrations off ziss years Eurovision in Austria, ve are inviting you to adopt the Eurovision style of voting to decide the short list.

Arnold: Ja, it is exciting und truly easy, even for a girly boy to understand! To demonstrate I vill hand you back to Zir Rols to explain how it werks.

Sir Rols: At close of submissions, we've got 45 entries in the for the 2022 section. In your face Bach! Forty five bidders versus your two for 2022!

This includes a privately submitted entry by our reigning winter logo champion, aismanggo - Melbourne K. I also have a private Tokyo submission in hand from him which youll see, well, probably next week. We also have an alternative submission from woohooitsme83 for Harbin (Harbin D).

Melbourne was the most popular subject choice with 11 entries, followed by Anchorage with 8, Barcelona and Salzburg with 7 each, then Harbin (5), Borjomi (4) and Santiago with 3. Well bloody done!

I was already planning, with assistance and suggestions from Yoshi, to experiment with a Eurovision-style vote for at least one section of the comps this year. The sheer volume of entries received made that plan virtually a necessity. I was originally sceptical, I admit, going with a multi-city format - it didnt seem to work that well a few years back when we did Paris/St Petersburg and Ostersund/somewhere-else. But this years it really seemed to work in encouraging lots and lots and then more loads of entries. And from a good mix of former winning entrants and some great new talents.

That number of entries is beyond the capabilities of the GamesBids poll voting format to handle anyway. And with so many good ones I think it would be almost impossible to limit the worthies to just a final five or six at this stage yet. Im sure theres at least a dozen amongst them that deserve to go on. So were going to Euro-style to decide who they are. Heres how it will work (with some cut-n-pasting from CAFs contests).

• Please pick your TOP TEN logos from the selection above.
  • List them in order of preference by giving them the following points:

Best logo - 12 points

Second best logo - 10 points

Third best logo - 8 points

Fourth best logo - 7 points

Fifth best logo - 6 points

Sixth best logo - 5 points

Seventh best logo - 4 points

Eight best logo - 3 points

Ninth best logo - 2 points

Tenth best logo - 1 point

• Either post your entries either in this thread; or post your entries via PM to me for me to unveil after the close of polling.
  • Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of December 1 2014 with a bona fide posting record.
  • I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member.
  • Entrants in this round may NOT vote for their own logo.
  • I will vote in this round.
  • This voting round will be open for (approximately) 48 hours - it will close around 9am, Sunday January 4, Sydney time (8pm Jan 3 GMT).
  • At the end of voting, the top 12 scoring logos will go on to the final voting rounds.
  • You may post comments or critiques of the logos and the reasons for your votes. But try to be fair and respectful. This comp is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve RESPECT. If any contenders have any complaints or disputes, PM me and I'll rule on them.
  • If people want to calculate and post progressive scores as we go along, feel free. But hopefully Ill have some privately posted entries to keep up the suspense come the end.

I think thats it. Anything else crops up, Ill take it up on the run. Thanks and good luck to all the entrants!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this time when i went through the logos, i tried to pick ones that i could see being actually in the olympics. do you ever do that? visualize a logo on the bib of a gorgeous 21 year old scandanavian m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjobdArtiA Well, who else was a going to open the voting? Conchita is booked for the results announcement. And speaking of Conchita to host and guide us through th

I'm glad Melbourne B and Barcelona G made the cut. Both have grown on me.

My Pick!

1. Melbourne J

2. Anchorage G

3. Harbin E

4. Harbin B

5. Anchorage H

6. Harbin D

7. Salzburg D

8. Anchorage E

9.Borjomi B

10.Melbourne F

Thanks for the votes. What's your order (which is best and gets your 12 points, which gets your 1 point?)

1- Harbin A

2- Barcelona G

3- Anchorage E

4- Salzburg D

5- Santiago B

6- Borjomi B

7- Melbourne J

8- Anchorage G

9- Borjomi C

10- Salzburg A

Edit: The top one is my best logo choice and it goes sequentially downwards

Is this so hard people? Format like this to make Rols' life easier...

12 points -

10 points -

08 points -

07 points -

06 points -

05 points -

04 points -

03 points -

02 points -

01 points -

And here are my points...

12 points - Anchorage E

10 points - Barcelona B

08 points - Melbourne E

07 points - Harbin E

06 points - Barcelona F

05 points - Borjomi B

04 points - Melbourne B

03 points - Salzburg B

02 points - Melbourne D

01 points - Harbin D

• Like 1

Okay, I've been pondering these for a few days now, and really want to give my two cents worth. So here's my top 10, but in no particular order. You can see the points I've assigned when the results are announced:

Anchorage B - You can always count on Danny to come up with a good font and something colourful. I could see this working in real life.

Barcelona E - Not the most polished, but thumbs-up for Mr Bernham for his most original design in this.

Harbin A - You get a feel for particular members' styles after a while, and this is very much in nzl's house style. Probably my favourite of his ever - nice and cheerful and appealing and colourful.

Harbin C - I know it's mostly a clip, but I like the look and feel of this submission by Barrack. And I'm a Year of the Tiger and like animals in logos. This is how clip art can be used successfully.

Melbourne A - with a bit of polish, this could be a really good logo. Very clever concept, MissEurasia.

Melbourne B - My second pick from nil's submissions. Lots of people made use of Melbourne's triangular promotional style, but few as cleverly as he did with the M and Port Philip Bay. Well done. Probably the only thing I'd change is to use some brighter colours.

Melbourne J - Out of the battle of the twins this year, in the winter category I'd give it to Afiq. Just a nice logotype, and I really do like to see new fonts in these.

Salzburg B - Out of all the attempts to marry Salzburg's musical heritage and a winter games, I think Rob was the most successful - a snowflake with curves reminiscent of musical notes, all nicely presented in a style that screams central Europe.

Salzburg D - It's simple and I like the pastel colours. It looks a bit retro, would have been perfect for a 70s or 80s games, but it works. Nice one Anthony.

Santiago C - I'd still make the rings and the name Santiago stand out a bit more, but otherwise I've loved this art-deco type design from the moment I saw it. I like woohoo's splatter style, but think it worked best for his Tokyo logo. In the winter section, this is the pick of his entries to me.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Here are my first results:

1 Point - Harbin B

2 points - Salzburg D

3 point - Anchorage B

4 point - Barcelona B

5 points - Barcelona G

6 points - Harbin A

7 points - Anchorage H

And my top three are:

8 points go to - Barcelona E

10 points to - Melbourne D

And finally my 12 points go to - Salzburg E

Thanks mate! I've got a feeling I'm going to spend a big chunk of tomorrow counting up votes (and no doubt getting the arithmetic wrong). Not a good time to realise I lost Excel when I updated OS X on my PC. Anyone recommend a good freeware spreadsheet?

12 points -

10 points -

08 points -

07 points -

06 points -

05 points -

04 points -

03 points -

02 points -

01 points -

Ok,so here is my list based on the format

12 points - Melbourne J

10 points - Anchorage G

08 points - Harbin E

07 points - Harbin B

06 points - Anchorage H

05 points - Harbin D

04 points - Salzburg D

03 points - Anchorage E

02 points - Borjomi B

01 points - Melbourne F

12 points - Barcelona G

10 points - Harbin D

08 points - Melbourne K

07 points - Melbourne H

06 points - Harbin C

05 points - Melbourne G

04 points - Anchorage G

03 points - Barcelona B

02 points - Salzburg G

01 points - Borjomi B

Salzburg B - Out of all the attempts to marry Salzburg's musical heritage and a winter games, I think Rob was the most successful - a snowflake with curves reminiscent of musical notes, all nicely presented in a style that screams central Europe.

Thanks Rols...it's actually the quickest logo I've ever created in one of these comps. It's not much more than a bass cleff rotated 6 times.

Music-Fclef.png

I'll have a look tomorrow at this lot and pick out my top logos. I think it's going to take a bit of time :o

Massive well done getting it all together. Must've taken ages!

12 points - Melbourne K

10 points - Melbourne B

08 points - Anchorage E

07 points - Harbin A

06 points - Harbin B

05 points - Barcelona E

04 points - Anchorage F

03 points - Melbourne D

02 points - Melbourne J

01 points - Borjomi B

Anyone recommend a good freeware spreadsheet?

Kingsoft Office is probably the closest to Microsoft Office I've ever tried out.

Assuming I'm eligible to vote, I had been a bit scarce 'round here last year (though I was around long enough to get into a feud and open a combat thread :P), my votes go to...

12 points - Harbin E

10 points - Melbourne H

08 points - Anchorage F

07 points - Harbin C

06 points - Salzburg D

05 points - Anchorage E

04 points - Borjomi C

03 points - Melbourne D

02 points - Borjomi B

01 points - Salzburg G

... and thanks so much Rols for your kind words.

Hard having your home town (Melbourne) in there - I thought it could lead to bias - but in fact probably had the opposite effect. Melbourne isn't like Sydney with an easy international profile to harness, so I've found it interesting to see the kinds of physical buildings that have been chosen by users here from around the world (the convention centre bridge, Eureka Tower and Fed Square). In the end only one appealed to me, K. I liked the use of colour.

My list:

1. Anchorage F
  2. Barcelona E
  3. Salzburg E
  4. Melbourne K
  5. Barcelona A
  6. Anchorage H
  7. Harbin C
  8. Anchorage G
  9. Barcelona B
  10. Borjomi B

EDIT changed vote from Barcelona B to Barcelona G

12 points - Anchorage F

10 points - Barcelona E

08 points - Salzburg E

07 points - Melbourne K

06 points - Barcelona A

05 points - Anchorage H

04 points - Harbin C

03 points - Anchorage G

02 points - Barcelona G

01 points - Borjomi B

Melbourne B - My second pick from nil's submissions. Lots of people made use of Melbourne's triangular promotional style, but few as cleverly as he did with the M and Port Philip Bay. Well done. Probably the only thing I'd change is to use some brighter colours.

You know I didn't even notice that it was in the shape of PPB. Very clever. The colours are great - low key but they are directly from Federation Square's pallette - which was chosen to represent the clash of Melbourne's bluestone with Australia's outback (where they used sandstone from WA). I'd probably include Federation Square's aqua coloured glass in this logo too - which represents the ocean.

• Like 1
I tried to score the logos by thinking which ones could really be used for real.

12 points - Melbourne B (The best logo not counting my entries :P)

10 points - Melbourne K (Fantastic!)

8 points - Anchorage C (Simple and beautiful)

7 points - Salzburg E (Not huge fan of font, but I like the logo)

6 points - Melbourne H (I liked the lines and colours, but "M"??? and no year makes it look too generic)

5 points - Melbourne F (Amazing Australian Map shape, bad colour choice)

4 points - Santiago C (Hard to read the lettering, pity, this logo is nice)

3 points - Melbourne E (Bit old style, but would be truly amazing in the 80s)

2 points - Melbourne J (Nice font, colours, but the thing between L and B look out of place)

1 point - Anchorage E (Too literal - anchors - but well produced)

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1