jazKb6.jpg

Lg7jU3.jpg

RBZNC0.jpg

T5lQ1n.jpg

m9M939.jpg

PWZRVD.jpg

QFnw6m.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjobdArtiA

Well, who else was a going to open the voting? Conchita is booked for the results announcement. And speaking of Conchita to host and guide us through the voting rounds, we have the two most famous Austrians in the entire universe, the delightful and divine Miss Conchita Wurst Wurst and the former Terminator, Governator and now Logonator, Arnold Schwarzenegger!

STJYJU.jpg

Conchita: Wilkommen to Salzburg! Und the launch of voting for the GamesBids 2022 Vinter Olympic Games Logo Comp, Cut-und-Paste edition. Ve are just so excited to see you all here.

Arnold: Ja, Conchita and I are truly pumped for der action now, as you the voters ponder the 45 finalists shown above representing the magnificent seven bidding cities, und decide who are the expendables and who haff the right stuff to become our final Dirty Dozen.

Conchita: Ve vill be with you every step of the way, as ziss year, because of the so many, many fine und outstanding entries, und to start celebrations off ziss years Eurovision in Austria, ve are inviting you to adopt the Eurovision style of voting to decide the short list.

Arnold: Ja, it is exciting und truly easy, even for a girly boy to understand! To demonstrate I vill hand you back to Zir Rols to explain how it werks.

Sir Rols: At close of submissions, we've got 45 entries in the for the 2022 section. In your face Bach! Forty five bidders versus your two for 2022!

This includes a privately submitted entry by our reigning winter logo champion, aismanggo - Melbourne K. I also have a private Tokyo submission in hand from him which youll see, well, probably next week. We also have an alternative submission from woohooitsme83 for Harbin (Harbin D).

Melbourne was the most popular subject choice with 11 entries, followed by Anchorage with 8, Barcelona and Salzburg with 7 each, then Harbin (5), Borjomi (4) and Santiago with 3. Well bloody done!

I was already planning, with assistance and suggestions from Yoshi, to experiment with a Eurovision-style vote for at least one section of the comps this year. The sheer volume of entries received made that plan virtually a necessity. I was originally sceptical, I admit, going with a multi-city format - it didnt seem to work that well a few years back when we did Paris/St Petersburg and Ostersund/somewhere-else. But this years it really seemed to work in encouraging lots and lots and then more loads of entries. And from a good mix of former winning entrants and some great new talents.

That number of entries is beyond the capabilities of the GamesBids poll voting format to handle anyway. And with so many good ones I think it would be almost impossible to limit the worthies to just a final five or six at this stage yet. Im sure theres at least a dozen amongst them that deserve to go on. So were going to Euro-style to decide who they are. Heres how it will work (with some cut-n-pasting from CAFs contests).

• Please pick your TOP TEN logos from the selection above.
  • List them in order of preference by giving them the following points:

Best logo - 12 points

Second best logo - 10 points

Third best logo - 8 points

Fourth best logo - 7 points

Fifth best logo - 6 points

Sixth best logo - 5 points

Seventh best logo - 4 points

Eight best logo - 3 points

Ninth best logo - 2 points

Tenth best logo - 1 point

• Either post your entries either in this thread; or post your entries via PM to me for me to unveil after the close of polling.
  • Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of December 1 2014 with a bona fide posting record.
  • I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member.
  • Entrants in this round may NOT vote for their own logo.
  • I will vote in this round.
  • This voting round will be open for (approximately) 48 hours - it will close around 9am, Sunday January 4, Sydney time (8pm Jan 3 GMT).
  • At the end of voting, the top 12 scoring logos will go on to the final voting rounds.
  • You may post comments or critiques of the logos and the reasons for your votes. But try to be fair and respectful. This comp is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve RESPECT. If any contenders have any complaints or disputes, PM me and I'll rule on them.
  • If people want to calculate and post progressive scores as we go along, feel free. But hopefully Ill have some privately posted entries to keep up the suspense come the end.

I think thats it. Anything else crops up, Ill take it up on the run. Thanks and good luck to all the entrants!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Pick!

1. Melbourne J

2. Anchorage G

3. Harbin E

4. Harbin B

5. Anchorage H

6. Harbin D

7. Salzburg D

8. Anchorage E

9.Borjomi B

10.Melbourne F

Thanks for the votes. What's your order (which is best and gets your 12 points, which gets your 1 point?)

Is this so hard people? Format like this to make Rols' life easier...

12 points -

10 points -

08 points -

07 points -

06 points -

05 points -

04 points -

03 points -

02 points -

01 points -

And here are my points...

12 points - Anchorage E

10 points - Barcelona B

08 points - Melbourne E

07 points - Harbin E

06 points - Barcelona F

05 points - Borjomi B

04 points - Melbourne B

03 points - Salzburg B

02 points - Melbourne D

01 points - Harbin D

Okay, I've been pondering these for a few days now, and really want to give my two cents worth. So here's my top 10, but in no particular order. You can see the points I've assigned when the results are announced:

Anchorage B - You can always count on Danny to come up with a good font and something colourful. I could see this working in real life.

Barcelona E - Not the most polished, but thumbs-up for Mr Bernham for his most original design in this.

Harbin A - You get a feel for particular members' styles after a while, and this is very much in nzl's house style. Probably my favourite of his ever - nice and cheerful and appealing and colourful.

Harbin C - I know it's mostly a clip, but I like the look and feel of this submission by Barrack. And I'm a Year of the Tiger and like animals in logos. This is how clip art can be used successfully.

Melbourne A - with a bit of polish, this could be a really good logo. Very clever concept, MissEurasia.

Melbourne B - My second pick from nil's submissions. Lots of people made use of Melbourne's triangular promotional style, but few as cleverly as he did with the M and Port Philip Bay. Well done. Probably the only thing I'd change is to use some brighter colours.

Melbourne J - Out of the battle of the twins this year, in the winter category I'd give it to Afiq. Just a nice logotype, and I really do like to see new fonts in these.

Salzburg B - Out of all the attempts to marry Salzburg's musical heritage and a winter games, I think Rob was the most successful - a snowflake with curves reminiscent of musical notes, all nicely presented in a style that screams central Europe.

Salzburg D - It's simple and I like the pastel colours. It looks a bit retro, would have been perfect for a 70s or 80s games, but it works. Nice one Anthony.

Santiago C - I'd still make the rings and the name Santiago stand out a bit more, but otherwise I've loved this art-deco type design from the moment I saw it. I like woohoo's splatter style, but think it worked best for his Tokyo logo. In the winter section, this is the pick of his entries to me.

Here are my first results:

1 Point - Harbin B

2 points - Salzburg D

3 point - Anchorage B

4 point - Barcelona B

5 points - Barcelona G

6 points - Harbin A

7 points - Anchorage H

And my top three are:

8 points go to - Barcelona E

10 points to - Melbourne D

And finally my 12 points go to - Salzburg E

Thanks mate! I've got a feeling I'm going to spend a big chunk of tomorrow counting up votes (and no doubt getting the arithmetic wrong). Not a good time to realise I lost Excel when I updated OS X on my PC. Anyone recommend a good freeware spreadsheet?

12 points -

10 points -

08 points -

07 points -

06 points -

05 points -

04 points -

03 points -

02 points -

01 points -

Ok,so here is my list based on the format

12 points - Melbourne J

10 points - Anchorage G

08 points - Harbin E

07 points - Harbin B

06 points - Anchorage H

05 points - Harbin D

04 points - Salzburg D

03 points - Anchorage E

02 points - Borjomi B

01 points - Melbourne F

12 points - Barcelona G

10 points - Harbin D

08 points - Melbourne K

07 points - Melbourne H

06 points - Harbin C

05 points - Melbourne G

04 points - Anchorage G

03 points - Barcelona B

02 points - Salzburg G

01 points - Borjomi B

Salzburg B - Out of all the attempts to marry Salzburg's musical heritage and a winter games, I think Rob was the most successful - a snowflake with curves reminiscent of musical notes, all nicely presented in a style that screams central Europe.

Thanks Rols...it's actually the quickest logo I've ever created in one of these comps. It's not much more than a bass cleff rotated 6 times.

Music-Fclef.png

I'll have a look tomorrow at this lot and pick out my top logos. I think it's going to take a bit of time :o

Massive well done getting it all together. Must've taken ages!

12 points - Melbourne K

10 points - Melbourne B

08 points - Anchorage E

07 points - Harbin A

06 points - Harbin B

05 points - Barcelona E

04 points - Anchorage F

03 points - Melbourne D

02 points - Melbourne J

01 points - Borjomi B

Anyone recommend a good freeware spreadsheet?

Kingsoft Office is probably the closest to Microsoft Office I've ever tried out.

Assuming I'm eligible to vote, I had been a bit scarce 'round here last year (though I was around long enough to get into a feud and open a combat thread :P), my votes go to...

12 points - Harbin E

10 points - Melbourne H

08 points - Anchorage F

07 points - Harbin C

06 points - Salzburg D

05 points - Anchorage E

04 points - Borjomi C

03 points - Melbourne D

02 points - Borjomi B

01 points - Salzburg G

... and thanks so much Rols for your kind words.

Hard having your home town (Melbourne) in there - I thought it could lead to bias - but in fact probably had the opposite effect. Melbourne isn't like Sydney with an easy international profile to harness, so I've found it interesting to see the kinds of physical buildings that have been chosen by users here from around the world (the convention centre bridge, Eureka Tower and Fed Square). In the end only one appealed to me, K. I liked the use of colour.

My list:

1. Anchorage F
  2. Barcelona E
  3. Salzburg E
  4. Melbourne K
  5. Barcelona A
  6. Anchorage H
  7. Harbin C
  8. Anchorage G
  9. Barcelona B
  10. Borjomi B

EDIT changed vote from Barcelona B to Barcelona G

12 points - Anchorage F

10 points - Barcelona E

08 points - Salzburg E

07 points - Melbourne K

06 points - Barcelona A

05 points - Anchorage H

04 points - Harbin C

03 points - Anchorage G

02 points - Barcelona G

01 points - Borjomi B

Melbourne B - My second pick from nil's submissions. Lots of people made use of Melbourne's triangular promotional style, but few as cleverly as he did with the M and Port Philip Bay. Well done. Probably the only thing I'd change is to use some brighter colours.

You know I didn't even notice that it was in the shape of PPB. Very clever. The colours are great - low key but they are directly from Federation Square's pallette - which was chosen to represent the clash of Melbourne's bluestone with Australia's outback (where they used sandstone from WA). I'd probably include Federation Square's aqua coloured glass in this logo too - which represents the ocean.

I tried to score the logos by thinking which ones could really be used for real.

12 points - Melbourne B (The best logo not counting my entries :P)

10 points - Melbourne K (Fantastic!)

8 points - Anchorage C (Simple and beautiful)

7 points - Salzburg E (Not huge fan of font, but I like the logo)

6 points - Melbourne H (I liked the lines and colours, but "M"??? and no year makes it look too generic)

5 points - Melbourne F (Amazing Australian Map shape, bad colour choice)

4 points - Santiago C (Hard to read the lettering, pity, this logo is nice)

3 points - Melbourne E (Bit old style, but would be truly amazing in the 80s)

2 points - Melbourne J (Nice font, colours, but the thing between L and B look out of place)

1 point - Anchorage E (Too literal - anchors - but well produced)

this time when i went through the logos, i tried to pick ones that i could see being actually in the olympics. do you ever do that? visualize a logo on the bib of a gorgeous 21 year old scandanavian moguls skier named christoffer with blond hair and thighs that mesmerize as he's going down the course? it's very helpful. granted the bar for winter logos these days is pretty low, but i think this year's contestants really outdid themselves in terms of laziness. lazy designs, lazy plagiarism, lazy postmodern cynical commentary. it was like a month-long davypodmore retrospective.

also i've been challenged to write something about all 45 logos, which sounds really boring, but i guess i'll give it a shot.

anchorage a - here's a logo that could have worked if it weren't for the anchors, which are a little over the top, unnecessary -- superfluous, as this third adjective is. but it's a very good logo apart from that -- the colors are solid and so are the other symbols: you can't go wrong in an american winter olympics with snowflakes and stars. it's scientific.

anchorage b - this is a cute little shooting star logo that looks like the bid logo before they actually make the cut and hire a real design firm. it's flowy and colorful and for some reason disappears at the top? bless your heart.

anchorage c - logos where the type is part of the logo are very popular these days. not with me, just in general. this logo doesn't remind me of ANYTHING about my childhood so in that regard it's a failure. oh if you insist, i guess i could dig something out of the vault, but i have to be careful, i only have so many stories, and half of the one's i've already told have actually happened. so, let's see. when i was a kid i went to new mexico and for some reason i was standing outside a barber shop (??) and my grandmother pointed to the mountains and told me they were purple and said that's why there's the line "purple mountain's majesty" in america the beautiful but i told her i didn't think they looked particularly purple. this also does not look particularly purple to me, perhaps because it's blue-green.

anchorage d - first thought? looks like the cover of a million little pieces. it also looks like the scene from willy wonka where mike teevee gets sent across the room into a tiny little tv and is in all those little pieces in the air. someone should have made an A that was also a snowboarder. that would have been a great idea but i guess if it wasn't already on google images there wasn't much of a chance it was happening this year.

anchorage e - i've been trying to think of a way that this could have worked. if you would have just. maybe if you took the bottom anchor and. the colors were a little. no, i've got nothing.

anchorage f - the chicago star. see melbourne c/e for a discussion of intentionally postmodern critiques that i haven't yet written and am kind of dreading. on its own, it's actually halfway decent. simple, american, direct, winter. it's a decisive logo, which is something i'm not going to get a whole lot more chances to say tonight.

anchorage g - what i meant by change it to pastels was change the COLOR SCHEME to pastels, not use the pastel brush in photoshop. i know vancouver was a colorful logo, but what on earth possessed you to put hot pink in a winter logo along with orange? orange. let's take a moment to let that sink in here. orange. other than orange it reminds me of stained glass -- probably meant to conjure up images of all of anchorage's world famous cathedrals.

anchorage h - remember the clip art mountain that used to be in this logo? someone track down that artist and give them first place. that was a winning logo.

barcelona a - i can't believe ancorage g used orange in that logo.

barcelona b - this is meant to appeal to what i like to call the baron vote. i think we all have a little baron in us -- an esoteric knowledge of previous logos (or at least the ability to use google images. what was torino's again?), a love of very simple, obvious keystone cop-like humor, an undiagnosed narcissistic personality disorder, a crippling autophobia, a desire to see one of the world's major religions wiped out in a genocide. oh well maybe just the first two.

barcelona c - can you please go back in time to 2005 and myspace bulletin this logo to me for me and tnmp's dubai 2014 winter olympic bid? would have been much better than whatever the hell we ended up going with. the 0 in 2022 is a sun! sigh, in light of qatar 2022 those jokes were so prescient and i was getting so much tail back then.

barcelona d - my cousin got married in barcelona. was i invited? noooo, i was not invited. now we're much more friendly but you only get married twice in your life unless you have a really good publicist and i missed his first one.

barcelona e - this is supposed to be that cathedral from the movie l'auberge espagnole right? it's unfinished or something? i'm going to wikipedia it.........this is where i'm wikipediaing it la la la la, so what's new with you? i heard you and whats his name just saw nightcrawler with jake gyllenhall. did you like it? oh, really i thought it was pretty good. ........ oh it's never going to be completed, practically. considering this is spain we're talking about the logo is rife for easy comparison by a lazy media to unfinished venues and construction disputes. someone will photoshop in some cranes and that will be that. it's a PR disaster in the making, but given spain's ability to see no farther than sixteen minutes into the future, there's a good chance this could get picked anyway.

barcelona f - i just don't wanna even. i just can't. you should have hit ctr + z about 65 times and undid all those pointless layers. this would be a good logo for my personal organization skills. i have to pay that parking ticket, and clean all the receipts out of the car, do laundry, and where is that post-it note? i think i left it around here somewhere.

barcelona g - it's a good logo. did you try it without the snowflake though? maybe the snowflake could be sexier. like a sexy snowflake. cobalt is sexy. did you try it in cobalt? or maybe like a vampire snowflake. just spitballing here.

borjomi a - well if the kkk ever start lynching oompa loomas this could go viral. (FIX JOKE ON EDIT; NOT FUNNY)

borjomi b - the snowflake field is a crowded one but this is a good snowflake. it's almost too good for borjomi. it's like, this is a western european or rocky mountain american snowflake.

borjomi c - i get this logo. i think i really get the meaning behind it. the sun's out and borjomi is in an egg-shaped glass bubble and there's a christmas tree for some reason and it kind of looks like the logo of a brand of bomber-jacket material outerwear you didn't know existed until you started seeing bulky teens wearing it on the subway.

borjomi d - i don't think you're allowed to mess with the olympic rings and turn them into sonic loops where you zoom through the first two easily but you fall back halfway through the third one and have to try four times to get enough momentum to get over the last one because even though you're tails you can't fly over it since you need the rings cause you're almost out of lives. sonic the hedgehog you can't catch what you can't see. (that was literally the first thing that popped into my head when i thought of sonic and according to google that was a lyric from a song that was in ONE episode of the adventures of sonic the hedgehog, a show i only vaguely remember watching. it's crazy what stays with us.

harbin a - what ever happened to faster? i have a decent faster joke for this one but they're only hilarious to tell when you know faster's reading them. I TOO TAKE AWAY 10 POINTS FROM THIS LOGO.

harbin b - i didn't have a faster joke for that last one, i just wanted to know what happened to faster. also, roman numerals for a chinese city. something about that is just sad.

harbin c - this is terrific. it's the inverse of pyongchang -- a completely complicated graphic logo. really terrific. it looks like it should have some chinese characters in that column though. did you ever take apart one of those paper umbrellas that come with tropical drinks and find at the top a piece of rolled up chinese newspaper? it's kind of cool. anyway, i don't care, i love it. this logo is a BEAST. imagine it on the chest of a 21 year old swedish mogul skiier, the tiger's ass right on his taut circumflex as you wend your finger up his rock hard stomach and stop just between his perfect square pecs on that sexy sexy tiger ass. ohhhhh christoffer. sonic the hedgehog you can't catch what you can't see. dammit this is so in my head.

harbin d - i can imagine this embossed flower motif on my bronze medal which would have been silver but the chinese cheated with that shoulder tap and i would say something but i'm pretty sure that would mean a one-way ticket to north korea and i'm supposed to meet christoffer and his gold medal D later so it's probably not worth it. (what is with all the red and winter logos this year. have any of you ever seen a winter olympics? quick, someone buy baron's book before his publisher drops hi...oh, too late.)

harbin e - you know how when you're walking through the park and it's sweater weather and you glance at your cellphone and you look at your sleeve and you have spur stuck to it so you shake your arm a couple times but nothing happens then you bring your hand into your sleeve and shake even harder but still nothing happens so you take your hand out, switch your cellphone to that hand and carefully pick the spur off using your index and thumb and fling it on the ground except it gets caught on your ankle so you start shaking your leg? WHY WON'T THIS SPUR COME OFF AND WHY IS IT RED? does anyone know why it's red? and didn't paul retire a few years ago in a very dramatic tantrum worthy of, well, not me, but someone lesser, say olympicusa when he's on a tony tear? maybe if i just scrape my ankle against this tree the spur will come off...

melbourne a - i know we're not supposed to call ayers rock ayers rock anymore but i can't spell the new name and that's all this logo reminds me of. it reminds me of a disney african safari. the lion king on broadway. an LA sunset after a vicious wildfire destroys 50 homes. is there a small black dot in the upper right hand corner of this logo or am i just ridiculously drunk and did i just have to erase and respell drunk three times and times twice?

well, i think this is just about half. TBC. tomorrow, prolly (plus my votes). stay tuned.

Archived