BREAKING: Another plane missing in southeast Asia

Team USA

AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 (Surabaya LT) this morning. The flight took off from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya at 0535hours.

The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200 with the registration number PK-AXC. There were two pilots, four flight attendants and one engineer on board.

The captain in command had a total of 6,100 flying hours and the first officer a total of 2,275 flying hours

There were 155 passengers on board, with 138 adults, 16 children and 1 infant. Also on board were 2 pilots and 5 cabin crew.

Nationalities of passengers and crew onboard are as below:

1 Singapore

1 Malaysia

1 France

3 South Korean

156 Indonesia

At this time, search and rescue operations are being conducted under the guidance of The Indonesia of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). AirAsia Indonesia is cooperating fully and assisting the investigation in every possible way.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to enroute weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The aircraft had undergone its last scheduled maintenance on 16 November 2014.

AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.

AirAsia will release further information as soon as it becomes available. Updated information will also be posted on the AirAsia website,www.airasia.com.

Note to Editors: We ask that members of the news media do not call the AirAsia Emergency Call Centre, as this line is reserved for family members seeking information about those who may have been on board

• Like 1

And the IOC will meet in Kuala Lumpur in September. Oh my, will any of them ride a Malaysian jet to and from KL???

How embarrassing.

I'm not sure what Air Asia Indo has to do with Malaysia?

MH suffered two extraordinary incidents, one clearly not their fault, and the other remains to be concluded.

Frankly Id be more worried about flying on one of the major US airlines with their aging fleets.

I'm not sure what Air Asia Indo has to do with Malaysia?

MH suffered two extraordinary incidents, one clearly not their fault, and the other remains to be concluded.

Frankly Id be more worried about flying on one of the major US airlines with their aging fleets.

Air Koryo! The only way to fly! Interestingly enough, the DPRK official tour company has set up an "aviation enthusiast" style tour, where you can fly around the country in a number of old Soviet era passenger planes! How delightful!

Having flown Air Asia a few times this kind of doesn't surprise me. There have been times I've flown (Hangzhou - Kuala Lumpur and Sandakan - KL most often) where the plane lands, they empty it and are reboarding within 20 minutes. Surely a full safety check can't be done in 20 minutes? Especially prior to a 5 hour international flight?

Look before you open your trap.

You are wrong, and as usual entirely misinformed. (But hey, this topic isn't Olympic ceremony related so nobody was expecting much).

Air Asia INDONESIA is an entirely separately airline to Air Asia (KL based), Air Asia X (which flies to Australia) and the Indian and Japanese franchises.

They are franchised brands with completely separate parent companies- think low cost Star Alliance with streamlined member branding. Air Asia is based in KL... The airline in question, Air Asia Indonesia is based in Jakarta. The aircraft was flying between Indonesia and Singapore - nothing to do with Malaysia. Stop whipping up melodrama with false info.

Indonesia has a terrible Air Safety record in traffic control which aren't great, and airline services iffy. The EU once banned Garuda Indonesia and even dodgier Lion Air and Bouraq Air from flying into EU airspace and strongly discourage their use.

It's just reported that the flight was denied a course adjustment prior to falling off the radar. Indonesia airspace is, surprisingly, intense, and weather notoriously unpredictable. Thunder storms a incredibly impressive in the Java sea.

This is Air Asia Group's first loss, it did have an excellent safety record and for many the preferred choice in the LCC range. Very popular. The Indonesian subsidiary was just as equal to the rest of the group and was set up because of Air Asia's good record and the bad reputation of the local carriers.

Having flown Air Asia a few times this kind of doesn't surprise me. There have been times I've flown (Hangzhou - Kuala Lumpur and Sandakan - KL most often) where the plane lands, they empty it and are reboarding within 20 minutes. Surely a full safety check can't be done in 20 minutes? Especially prior to a 5 hour international flight?

Well it's their first major incident since the establishment of the airline, and the last contact indicated that the plane was making a course change due to weather. But yea that 20-minutes between landing and takeoff is a bit unnerving, but with most people dissatisfied with how airlines fail to leave on time they probably don't even notice that as an issue.

Indonesia has a terrible Air Safety record in traffic control which aren't great, and airline services iffy. The EU once banned Garuda Indonesia and even dodgier Lion Air and Bouraq Air from flying into EU airspace and strongly discourage their use.

It's just reported that the flight was denied a course adjustment prior to falling off the radar. Indonesia airspace is, surprisingly, intense, and weather notoriously unpredictable. Thunder storms a incredibly impressive in the Java sea.

This is Air Asia Group's first loss, it did have an excellent safety record and for many the preferred choice in the LCC range. Very popular. The Indonesian subsidiary was just as equal to the rest of the group and was set up because of Air Asia's good record and the bad reputation of the local carriers.

yes indeed i heard that the plane requesting for a different height and flyway before they losing the contact with the plane and i also heard a lot of clouds has halted the search so far...

You are wrong, and as usual entirely misinformed. (But hey, this topic isn't Olympic ceremony related so nobody was expecting much).

Air Asia INDONESIA is an entirely separately airline to Air Asia (KL based), Air Asia X (which flies to Australia) and the Indian and Japanese franchises.

They are franchised brands with completely separate parent companies- think low cost Star Alliance with streamlined member branding. Air Asia is based in KL... The airline in question, Air Asia Indonesia is based in Jakarta. The aircraft was flying between Indonesia and Singapore - nothing to do with Malaysia. Stop whipping up melodrama with false info.

Eeeeeehhh. Proven wrong again -- by not one but by THREE posters here. Subsidiary, smudsibiary; the parent company is in Malaysia! :P

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Concerning the request for a course change: the pilot requested to change course to the left and fly at an altitude of 38k feet, but it wasn't immediately approved because there was already a plane in the vicinity that was at 34k feet. I think they were trying to avoid a chance of a collision. And they said the storm clouds were as high as 44k feet, so I don't know how all this works but I guess the closer you are to it, the less intense the storm clouds are?

Concerning the request for a course change: the pilot requested to change course to the left and fly at an altitude of 38k feet, but it wasn't immediately approved because there was already a plane in the vicinity that was at 34k feet. I think they were trying to avoid a chance of a collision. And they said the storm clouds were as high as 44k feet, so I don't know how all this works but I guess the closer you are to it, the less intense the storm clouds are?

Other way around dude...re clouds.

Yes, They were placed on a five minute wait. You can see on the news coverage the intense traffic in the vicinity at the time. It looked like other aircraft were playing dodge the clouds as well. These storm cells in this region are VERY impressive. (I lived in Indonesia in the mid to late 90s) The Geography of the Java Sea with surrounding archipelago landmasses acts like a giant swirl pool of heated mass precipitation, it's a tropical heat and wind convergence zone.