Sion to run for 2026 Winter Olympics

Yes, in 2002 the voters rejected the Berne bid. To be honest it was a bit of a weird bid, with alpine skiing in Crans Montana. I believe their were four cantons involved; I can only imagine the administrative nightmare there Games would have been! It appears that studies are being doing into a "Central Switzerland" bid which would involve Berne and Lucerne. Still a bit of a stretch I'd say...

Berne could host ice events without too much problems: it has the biggest ice arena in Switzerland in place, as well as a large expo centre. Conceivably it could use Wengen, Adelboden or Grindelwald for skiing events?

9 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Did they just withdraw or weren't they also culled by a referendum?

Yeah, a referendum also ended their campaign. 

http://gamesbids.com/eng/other-news/swiss-voters-reject-bernes-2010-winter-olympic-bid/

It would've been interesting how Berne would've faired in the 2010 race, considering Salzburg finished last in the vote, & also Europe already had the preceding 2006 Winter Games in Turin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Grisons/Graubünden just voted against a 2026 bid. That bid had been in shambles since Zurich refused to support it anyways, but that now leaves Sion (Valais) as the only Swiss candidate left.

Too bad Geneva isn't part of that bid, because it would make it much easier for them (Geneva has most of the venues for ice sports in place + a large stadium and an international airport)

Yep, as I've said before in these threads; I'll believe in a Swiss winter bid when one actually comes to fruition (especially when one individual in particular around here uses "Switzerland" against a Calgary 2026 bid).

This doesn't surprise me whatsoever. And this time around the NO vote in Graubunden was even greater than last time. So I can't see Valais being all that much better. This is a serious blow to the Swiss Olympic Committee, & I'd be surprised if they put any bid forward now. And actually, why wasn't there a referendum in Valais as well? Is one still schedule there? Yeah, I can't see this taking off anymore. It was "doomed" from the get-go.

Okay, so just read that a referendum in Valais is still quite possible in late 2018 (well into the campaign cycle). So does Swiss Olympic want to still run the risk of all that campaigning only to, once again, succumb to a failed referendum. Remains to be seen, I suppose. But what seems to be a given, is that the Swiss people don't want any part of the Winter Olympics anymore, at least in terms of hosting them, anyway.

Well, the French speaking part of Switzerland might be a different story to the Eastern (German/Romansh speaking) part. They often vote differently in nation-wide referenda.

But with a general anti-Olympic mood around and certainly a lot of people still remembering the IOC's treatment of the actually favoured bid for 2006, I wouldn't bet on Sion 2026 surviving a referendum either.

35 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Definitely not "sighon"; maybe a bit closer to "seeon" but being a Franco-Swiss name the "ee" is pretty short, and the "n" almost disappears in that funny French nasal trick.

Actually more like see-one (like how it ends on the word ph-one). But definitely not "on" like the English word.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

One answer:  the IOC has to PAY for their PARTY if they want to see the Games continue.  Enough of this having other cities pay for the IOC party.  

Where do you think the money comes from that pays for the Olympics?  Broadcast rights, sponsorships, ticket sales.  A lot of that money already comes from the IOC, not the host city.

In an ideal world (which is to say this almost never happens), the IOC and the host city have a mutually beneficial relationship.  That "party" represents a lasting legacy that benefits the host city after the Olympics are gone.  Of course, that rarely happens.  Without question, the IOC isn't helping matters imposing demands upon the host city, and not just keeping sports whose facilities and operations cost more than they're worth.  You can't expect the IOC to pay for the privilege of using a city's resources while the city is just along for the ride.

If the IOC was actually serious about Agenda 2020 (which we know they're not), they'd put more effort into making the Olympics less of a risky proposition for the host city.  That however would require the IOC to tone done on the excess, which we know they're not going to do.  That's where they need to make the first strides in making hosting the Olympics more affordable (and less repulsive for so much potential host cities).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 8:14 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

One answer:  the IOC has to PAY for their PARTY if they want to see the Games continue.  Enough of this having other cities pay for the IOC party.  

I'm with you on this one.  Basically the IOC does "give" the city large allocations of sponsorship money and TV rights money but could be doing better.  Bottom line - the IOC should have a US$2 billion or so grant that they give to each host city.  This should be allocated to venue works, security and Games specific administration and infrastructure.  the host cities find the rest and the IOC shares in any profit.

The IOC could easily afford this - they have raked in billions and billions over the years.  In 2012 they were conservatively valued at $47 billion - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/25/sport/olympics-london-2012-google-apple/ - and that is just on the money they publically confirm in the annual reports.  Thus there is really no reason the IOC can't come to the party in this way with a set level of funding.  If a city like Melbourne can pull of a Games for less than US$2 billion the remainder goes back to the IOC and AOC.

Since they earn more and more the pot they use is pretty much self-funding. 

It really is time to put their money where their mouth is and if they want better bids make it affordable.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Swiss poll finds strong opposition to 2026 Winter Games
FEB 11, 2018 - 11:44

Most Swiss oppose holding the Winter Olympics in western Switzerland in 2026, a newspaper survey has revealed. Only 36% of people taking part in the poll support the so-called Sion 2026 bid. 

In an opinion poll published in Le Matin Dimanche and SonntagsZeitung newspapers on Sunday, 43% of people said they were against the Sion 2026 bid and 16% said were “quite against” the idea. Only 20% said they were in favour, while 16% said they were “quite in favour”; 5% had no opinion. 

The survey showed that 55% of over-65s totally oppose the project, while 17% are “quite against” it. Among 18-34-year-olds, only 29% were in favour, while 42% were against the idea. 

The majority of people (42%) were against the general idea of holding Olympic Games in Switzerland, while 18% were "quite against". Around 21% thought it was a good idea, while 16% were "quite in favour".

The Swiss Olympic Committee and the Swiss government are backing a joint proposal by Sion, the capital of canton Valais, to host the 2026 Winter Games spread across the cantons of Valais, Vaud, Bern and Fribourg and based largely on existing infrastructure. Last October, the Swiss government wholeheartedly endorsed the Sion bid, promising to contribute almost CHF1 billion ($1.018 billion), if it is chosen. 

A final vote on the host city by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will take place in summer 2019. However, in Switzerland parliament still needs to ratify the funding, and voters in canton Valais will also have a decisive say on Sion 2026 funding in a local referendum on June 10. In February 2017, voters in canton Graubünden scuppered a joint bid by Davos and St Moritz for the same 2026 games.

Switzerland hosted the Olympic Winter Games in 1928 and 1948. Since then, it has submitted numerous unsuccessful bids, with Sion losing out three times: 1976, 2002 and 2006. Other cities interested in hosting the 2026 Winter Games include Graz-Schladming in Austria, Stockholm in Sweden, Calgary in Canada, and Sapporo in Japan.

Swiss Info

• 3 weeks later...