Sion to run for 2026 Winter Olympics

Salt Lake City had tried to bid four times prior to be selected in 2002, and nearly $16 million was spent in briberies and other campaign to convince the IOC members to vote in its favor for the 2002 bid. Sion was finalist as well but played the "Fair-Games". All those members have been let go by the IOC and rules were changed stipulating that a candidate city could not offer any gift to its members for a value exceeding a certain limit, and that official visits to candidate cities would be taken following the IOC rules. Why do you think New York and Chicago bidding for the summer games right after had such bad reputation?

Sion had by far the best technical report in the last two bids as described by the IOC. The only real obstacle Sion could face for the 2026 race would be another serious European city.

Several reasons. Bad relations between the USOC and IOC. Stiff competition from other cities. And mostly that the United States had just hosted a Summer Olympics in 1996.

2 things also to remember about Salt Lake..

1) They nearly beat Nagano for the 1998 Olympics, a vote that came less than a year after the vote for Atlanta `96. Nagano had 46 votes to SLC's 42. That's how tight the margin was for the United States to land back to back Olympics. So say what you what about their 2002 bid. Their 1998 bid nearly won it.

2) Let's not pretend that Salt Lake was the first and only Olympic bid city to have unclean hands. They were just the ones who got exposed and then dragged through the mud. Can't imagine it was an isolated incident given this is the IOC we're talking about. It was not a few votes they beat Sion by. Sion was tied with Ostersund, so you can make the case they had the most technically sound bid. But the best bid isn't always the winning bid.

ANNECY 2026!!

No way. Annecy will be a better place without WoG. To wast money call dictator or no democratic countries.

I'm for Sion. I hope to see a Austria bid and a Nordic bid too. Small countries should host the next one and moreover medium cities.

And for you Baron, I hope to see a bid from Reno and Lake Tahoe, it could be a great place to host WoG.

I agree that SLC wasn't the first city to show dirty hands, since Nagano 1998 was staged as the Big Brother acknowledging afterwards having participated in very, very generous gifts and loan practices given to IOC members and relatives. USOC has improved its relationships with the IOC by accepting the new terms and how to split the pie about the TV Rights. However, USOC wants to go full steam now on the Summer Games 2024 with Boston, facing a harsh competition against Paris and Rome. It seems like the rotation over the continents doesn't matter as much anymore since Asia will organize consecutively the Games in 2018, 2020, and 2022! Therefore, Europe could obtain the Games consecutively in 2024 and 2026. Also, Switzerland hasn't organized the Olympics since 1948, and Sion this time, will certainly market heavily its candidature in Lausanne, international IOC headquarters, just an hour away by car.

Let's not pretend that Salt Lake was the first and only Olympic bid city to have unclean hands. They were just the ones who got exposed and then dragged through the mud. Can't imagine it was an isolated incident given this is the IOC we're talking about. It was not a few votes they beat Sion by. Sion was tied with Ostersund, so you can make the case they had the most technically sound bid. But the best bid isn't always the winning bid.

I can't speak about the 2002 évaluation report, since I never read it, but even senior Canadian IOC member, Dick Pound (never can get over that name lol), came out & said after the dust settled from the whole thing, that Salt Lake's bid was technically the best outta the whole 2002 lot, so the bribes really wouldn't have made that much of a difference anyway.

Perhaps Salt Lake just felt anxious after coming so close for '98 that they just wanted to finally "seal the deal". After all, it wasn't like Nagano was squeaky clean in their respective campaign either. Many of the spending records from the bid committee files were ordered destroyed afterwards from what I read. So Salt Lake was just learning from the best on how to play the game. So I would just take that posters 'accounts' with a grain of salt.

No way. Annecy will be a better place without WoG. To wast money call dictator or no democratic countries.

He was being facetious.

America's strongest Candidate for 2026 would be Denver. Sion would also have a good chance of hosting this too. I think the 2026 can be a lot better then the 2022 bidding.

America's strongest Candidate for 2026 would be Denver. Sion would also have a good chance of hosting this too. I think the 2026 can be a lot better then the 2022 bidding.

American bid could very strong if Boston lose 2024. Denver is the only winter option in USA ? I heard about Reno- Lake Thaoe, Portland and Anchorage, why not Boise ? USA has a lot of option for WoG and SoG.

We can count on USOC to surprise us with their candidate to represent the US, like Boston! To my opinion, Los Angeles would have been a much better choice for 2024.

Switzerland has been wanting the games for a very long time and particularly in Valais-Sion, and hasn't organized it since 1948. It's got a very long alpine tradition with the Olympic spirit and has scored high at many winter games, while organizing many ski world cup events. Thus having already venues and hotel infrastructure in place with a very efficient transportation system all year around. You can literally take the train to every single spot in the Swiss Alps!

• Like 1

Geneva would be the ideal host city, with all the moutain events in Valais. There's a 2-hour travel time between the two. It's quite long given the size of Switzerland, but that's abour the same as between Vancouver and Whistler.

Geneva would be better than Sion for many reasons IMO:

- they have an international airport

- they have a 30,000-seat stadium that could be temporary expanded to 35,000 a la Torino 2006 for the ceremonies.

- they have a large exhibition centre with large column-free space that could be used as temporary arenas or for the IBC (seriously, it's so big they can fit both the large Speed Skating oval and the venue for Figure Skating/Short Track)

- they have a 7,000-seat ice rink that would be the perfect secondary Hockey venue.

- they plan on building a 10,000-seat arena for their Hockey, that would be perfect as the main Hockey venue.

All the mountain events would be in Valais (around Crans-Montana and Veysonnaz)

Basically the only new venue they would have to build is the Ski Jumping hills (and a Biathlon centre but that's hardly a hurdle), maybe the could reuse their plan to build one in Crans-Montana from the (Sion 2006) bid.

Or they could also call the bid "Sion 2026" and still have all the ice events in Geneva, but that would mean building a temporary ceremony stadium in Sion, or expand their small 14,000-seat football stadium.

Geneva would be the ideal host city, with all the moutain events in Valais. There's a 2-hour travel time between the two. It's quite long given the size of Switzerland, but that's abour the same as between Vancouver and Whistler.

- they have a 30,000-seat stadium that could be temporary expanded to 35,000 a la Torino 2006 for the ceremonies.

- they have a large exhibition centre with large column-free space that could be used as temporary arenas or for the IBC (seriously, it's so big they can fit both the large Speed Skating oval and the venue for Figure Skating/Short Track)

- they have a 7,000-seat ice rink that would be the perfect secondary Hockey venue.

- they plan on building a 10,000-seat arena for their Hockey, that would be perfect as the main Hockey venue.

Basically the only new venue they would have to build is the Ski Jumping hills (and a Biathlon centre but that's hardly a hurdle), maybe the could reuse their plan to build one in Crans-Montana from the (Sion 2006) bid.

Or they could also call the bid "Sion 2026" and still have all the ice events in Geneva, but that would mean building a temporary ceremony stadium in Sion, or expand their small 14,000-seat football stadium.

Since the approved Olympic Agenda 2020 allowing several cities/regions to partner together in order to organize the Olympic Games, Geneva-Lausanne-Sion are talking to join forces in order to stage the event in 2026. As you said, the venues are already existing among the three cities and would allow the entire region to participate, thus putting all the local support behind them at the political and economical level. The distance between the Olympic village and the ski competition has been also great at Sochi, Turino, and also for Beijing 2022's bid. More info to be coming soon!

Geneva is too far from mountains, 2h in Switzerland it's too much, It's a non-sens. Bern or Lausanne will be smarter or even Lausanne/Sion or Sion. And with the new IOC rules we could imagine Geneva/Chamonix or Geneva/Annecy, the links between Geneva and French border are very strong and Geneva is closer French alps than Swiss alps, Usually Geneva habitants come in french ski resorts for week end.

But maybe for Swiss inhabitants Geneva doesn't sound Swiss enough. :D

Geneva is too far from mountains, 2h in Switzerland it's too much, It's a non-sens. Bern or Lausanne will be smarter or even Lausanne/Sion or Sion. And with the new IOC rules we could imagine Geneva/Chamonix or Geneva/Annecy, the links between Geneva and French border are very strong and Geneva is closer French alps than Swiss alps, Usually Geneva habitants come in french ski resorts for week end.

When you have 2 nations fully capable of hosting the games on their own there is no reason for them to even consider a joint bid. Joint bids benefit those that are incapable of hosting all on their own. Like a joint bid with 2 smaller European countries make sense.

And if you have an extraordinary bid but the only disadvantage is a bit of distance from the mountains (2hrs is not bad) then I'd still consider that bid, rather than have to endure another Sochi situation just because the drive is only about an hr away.

To the train distance Geneva-Sion, it does take 2 hours because the train stops in every single town during the commute. I take the train as the best option since this is considered the main transportation system during the Games and not so much the car. The organizational comity could then consider a "Special-Express-Olympic" train skipping the non-venues train stations, which could reduce the travelling time GVA-Sion to 1h15 or less depending upon the train speed. Again, many previous winter Olympics games have been facing longer commute since larger cities have been favored to host the event like Vancouver, Turino, Sochi and the potential upcoming Beijing 2022. Besides, the Swiss train is never late! You can yourself miss it if you arrive one minute late to the platform!

Lausanne and Bern don't have an international airport, and the train link to Chamonix is pretty ****, that's why I think a Geneve/Valais bid is what would work best, despite the distance.

When you have 2 nations fully capable of hosting the games on their own there is no reason for them to even consider a joint bid. Joint bids benefit those that are incapable of hosting all on their own. Like a joint bid with 2 smaller European countries make sense.

And if you have an extraordinary bid but the only disadvantage is a bit of distance from the mountains (2hrs is not bad) then I'd still consider that bid, rather than have to endure another Sochi situation just because the drive is only about an hr away.

I agree with you, Swiss like France can host on their own WoG.

But when you look Geneva situation, it could be a smart idea to develop transportation link with France. Moreover, if you want to have less expensive bid in the futur with a better Legacy, this kind of bid could be a solution, even for countries like France and Swiss. We can think like European not like individual country. There is a similar situation between France, Spain and Andorra.

The time notion isn't the same for European than for American. 2h isn't a lot for American but for European it's to much for a winter bid, moreover for a bid in the Alps. When you don't have other solutions of course it's not a problem but in Switzerland they have better options. After if IOC wants only big cities for WoG maybe Geneva is the best option. Difficult to know which way choose... :lol:

To be realistic a bid only in Switzerland seems the best choice, I'm utopian when I speak about a join bid France/Swiss ;)

To the train distance Geneva-Sion, it does take 2 hours because the train stops in every single town during the commute. I take the train as the best option since this is considered the main transportation system during the Games and not so much the car. The organizational comity could then consider a "Special-Express-Olympic" train skipping the non-venues train stations, which could reduce the travelling time GVA-Sion to 1h15 or less depending upon the train speed. Again, many previous winter Olympics games have been facing longer commute since larger cities have been favored to host the event like Vancouver, Turino, Sochi and the potential upcoming Beijing 2022. Besides, the Swiss train is never late! You can yourself miss it if you arrive one minute late to the platform!

Indeed by train it's not very far, but after you need to go in ski resort around Sion, it's 30 min more from Sion.

A join bid between Geneva and Sion will be problematic for Sion because in Geneva you would have ice events and what in Sion ? Ski events will be around Sion, not in Sion.

Vancouver it's America, time notion are different. Turin is the exception, but it was the less Alpin WoG in the Alps...

Lausanne and Bern don't have an international airport, and the train link to Chamonix is pretty ****, that's why I think a Geneve/Valais bid is what would work best, despite the distance.

Geneva airport to Lausanne it's only 40min by car. For 2018, Pyeongchang will use Seoul airport, it's 1h30 by train, 2h30 by car.

Train link with Chamonix could be modernized , for the legacy it will be great, lot of french come from this way to work in Geneva every day.

• 8 months later...

The Switzerland bid selection is starting to get extremely familiar with the usual debate Valais vs Graubünden. According to the Swiss press Swiss Olympic should make a decision by Spring 2016.

The Graubünden bid cities are the usual suspects (Davos and St-Moritz).

Sion is also interested but would have a referendum in spring 2017.

http://www.24heures.ch/sports/candidature-grisonne-jo-2026/story/26671877

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/10/2015 at 7:55 PM, Tulsa said:

I agree with you, Swiss like France can host on their own WoG.

But when you look Geneva situation, it could be a smart idea to develop transportation link with France. Moreover, if you want to have less expensive bid in the futur with a better Legacy, this kind of bid could be a solution, even for countries like France and Swiss. We can think like European not like individual country. There is a similar situation between France, Spain and Andorra.

The time notion isn't the same for European than for American. 2h isn't a lot for American but for European it's to much for a winter bid, moreover for a bid in the Alps. When you don't have other solutions of course it's not a problem but in Switzerland they have better options. After if IOC wants only big cities for WoG maybe Geneva is the best option. Difficult to know which way choose... :lol:

To be realistic a bid only in Switzerland seems the best choice, I'm utopian when I speak about a join bid France/Swiss ;)

Indeed by train it's not very far, but after you need to go in ski resort around Sion, it's 30 min more from Sion.

A join bid between Geneva and Sion will be problematic for Sion because in Geneva you would have ice events and what in Sion ? Ski events will be around Sion, not in Sion.

Vancouver it's America, time notion are different. Turin is the exception, but it was the less Alpin WoG in the Alps...

Geneva airport to Lausanne it's only 40min by car. For 2018, Pyeongchang will use Seoul airport, it's 1h30 by train, 2h30 by car.

Train link with Chamonix could be modernized , for the legacy it will be great, lot of french come from this way to work in Geneva every day.

When Sion lost the 2006 bid, the plan was for several small towns - Sierre, Visp and Martigny to all have a small arena especially as the distances from one end to the other are about 100km. These facilities could be used to support local ice hockey teams and/or be converted into community recreation facilities post games. The original games bid document for 2006 would be a great basis

The National League B of which Visp and Red Ice (Martigny) are members have an average of 3,500 fans per game .. National League A is apparently the best supported league in Europe with an average attendance over 7,000 fans ... Monthey and Sion have teams in the league below whilst Sierre historically had a team from 1933, became bankrupt in 2013 but have now been re-established

Monthey to Visp is 92km

(Monthey to Martigny 22km, Martigny to Sion 29km, Sion to Sierre 18km, Sierre to Visp 31km)

Skiing is well represented by CransMontana, Verbier, and Veysonnaz with Zermatt not that far away

Sion would be a wonderful host; in my opinion they could just reuse basically everything from the 2006 bid.

However, the most recent info I can find on this is: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/future-olympic-host-_western-cantons-launch-joint-winter-games-bid/42182234

Where it seems that the cantons of Vaud and Valais are teaming up as bidders, which means basically a joint bid by Sion and Lausanne, making use of skiing venues spread out across the two cantons (i.e. Crans Montana, Verbier, Villars, Leysin).

I'm not too sure whether I think it's a good idea... but with the Agenda 2020 in place, the Swiss do seem to think that spreading out the Games seems their best option. Makes sense: Switzerland's main cities are all some distance from the mountains, and the towns in the mountains seem not big enough to serve as true bases for 21st century Winter Games. Thus, Sion now looks at Lausanne as a partner, and the ski resorts in Graubünden are going with Zürich. I know that when you look at Vancouver 2010 and Beijing 2022 the distances look short, but in a small country like Switzerland this is very different.