Sion to run for 2026 Winter Olympics

Well, If the US do bid, the candidate would probably be Anchorage or Salt Lake City or even Denver (Bit hard since they withdrew in 1976), it would be hard for them if they get 2024, Asia can be ruled out straight away, we've seen too many games from them so goodbye Sapporo (Not saying the bid is going to be rubbish or poor, just saying it'll be hard for them too) South America would probably have Santiago (It would be a favourite, but I think they would use this as a test bid for the future?) Leaving Europe, The only strong bids from Europe that I can think of would probably be:

Barcelona, Spain

The Joint Bid from Norway and Sweden

and Sion

I'd say the toughest cookie Sion would have to get past is Barcelona...

I can't see America getting both 2024 and 2026. I also can't see Santiago standing a chance for 2026 either. Sapporo is most probably out of the running because of Geopolitics.

Maybe, Sion, Stockholm, Oslo and maybe a bid from Canada would be the favourites in the bidding. Of course, we say this now, but by time the bidding starts for 2026, things might have changed. As Stefan said, referendums might have gone against a bid etc. Also, I can't see Denver withdrawing from 1976 influencing a possible Denver 2026 bid.

Are people still bringing up Denver 1976??? That was almost 40 years ago, it's highly doubtful that incident would happen again, and most, if not all, IOC members weren't even around back then to even take it into account.

Even if Americans win the right to host the Summer Olympics in 2024, I still think they might have a decent shot of making a sound bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics. But I don't think the USOC would put forth a Winter Olympic bid for that year if they win 2024, so they would certainly aim for 2030. And while I think an Alaskan bid would be nice, I want the USOC and Olympics to have nothing to do with that mess since it's been totally tarnished by the Palins for me.

By 2026, it would have been 50 years since Denver withdrew from hosting 1976. It won't influence Denver 2026 IMO.

Barcelona would be a favourite too.

As I said, it will be interesting.

Very interesting.

Denver's withdrawal might not matter to the IOC, but the political issues that made them withdraw are still there. Let's not forget that Denver's citizens were worried about the urban management, costs and environmental damage of the Olympics in the 70's. Have any of those things been reduced?

Denver (plus Portland and Seattle if they ever show any interest) would face the same political issues as European cities. If the IOC is really going to reform then it would likely be to get the Olympics back to a European city like Sion rather than another North American city.

Denver's withdrawal might not matter to the IOC, but the political issues that made them withdraw are still there. Let's not forget that Denver's citizens were worried about the urban management, costs and environmental damage of the Olympics in the 70's. Have any of those things been reduced?

Yes. The Denver folks back in the 70s were worried the world would come to Colorado and ruin their environment. Know what happened when Denver rejected the Olympics?.. The world came to Colorado anyway. And ruined their environment. So that ship has sailed. Denver and Colorado 50 years ago was largely undeveloped. Not the case anymore. There's a lot more in place to build off of now than there was then. Plus, for those here who make the argument about Agenda 2020 and how it is helpful to cities with a lot of infrastructure in place, even if it's not necessarily as ideally located as it could be, that's certainly a plus for Denver.

Even if Americans win the right to host the Summer Olympics in 2024, I still think they might have a decent shot of making a sound bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics. But I don't think the USOC would put forth a Winter Olympic bid for that year if they win 2024, so they would certainly aim for 2030. And while I think an Alaskan bid would be nice, I want the USOC and Olympics to have nothing to do with that mess since it's been totally tarnished by the Palins for me.

That presumes they're even interested in 2026. With all the care they're putting into the 2024 bid, I don't know they'll want to search for a Winter candidate simultaneously. I know some will say that's what happened before, but I don't see it here. I think the USOC is looking towards landing a Summer Olympics and that landing a Winter is a very secondary goal to them at this point.

Yes. The Denver folks back in the 70s were worried the world would come to Colorado and ruin their environment. Know what happened when Denver rejected the Olympics?.. The world came to Colorado anyway. And ruined their environment. So that ship has sailed. Denver and Colorado 50 years ago was largely undeveloped. Not the case anymore. There's a lot more in place to build off of now than there was then. Plus, for those here who make the argument about Agenda 2020 and how it is helpful to cities with a lot of infrastructure in place, even if it's not necessarily as ideally located as it could be, that's certainly a plus for Denver.

Yea I didn't understand that argument on his part either, there are verious ski resorts driving distance from Denver, and some have even been used for winter sports already, like Beaver Creek and Aspen have been used for the Alpine Skiing World Cup for quite some time now. And Denver has become a big metropolitan that shouldn't have issues with finding a way to re-use or reconfigure venues from an Olympic games. And with Agenda 2020 it will allow them to move the ski jumping and sliding sports venues to Park City, Utah.

Yea I didn't understand that argument on his part either, there are verious ski resorts driving distance from Denver, and some have even been used for winter sports already, like Beaver Creek and Aspen have been used for the Alpine Skiing World Cup for quite some time now. And Denver has become a big metropolitan that shouldn't have issues with finding a way to re-use or reconfigure venues from an Olympic games. And with Agenda 2020 it will allow them to move the ski jumping and sliding sports venues to Park City, Utah.

I've posted this link before, but here's the background on what happened with Denver `76..

The Olympics that weren't: How Colorado won, and lost, the `76 Winter Games

The moral of the story is that it was a poorly conceived plan that sunk them moreso than simply that Colorado residents are a bunch of hippies who are/were overly sensitive to environmental impact. Yes, that element is still there somewhat, but a lot of the specific concerns that were present 40 years ago aren't there anymore. There was little infrastructure back then (and the theory is that had they gone ahead with hosting the Olympics, a lot of the development that occurred anyway would have been taken care of much more efficiently). Now there is plenty to use: venues that already host world class competition. There is a ski jump facility on the edge of Steamboat Springs that could easily get used. And like you said, maybe they offer up Salt Lake as the sliding venue.

Maybe when we see the Agenda 2020 actually do something and make an impact, maybe that is when the people of Denver might change their minds. I think if Salt Lake were going to use some of their venues to help Denver, they would just bid for themselves instead.

I have a question about if Canada bid for 2026. If Canada do bid, would Quebec be the bidder? I say this because I actually think Calgary would for some reason. Also, if America put all their thinking into 2024 and decide not to bid for 2026 and Canada decide not to bid, surely only a European bid could host 2026? Asia wouldn't bid because they hosted 2018, 2020 and 2022.

And while I think an Alaskan bid would be nice, I want the USOC and Olympics to have nothing to do with that mess since it's been totally tarnished by the Palins for me.

Don't let some dumbass conservatives keep you from supporting what would be a great bid.

Maybe when we see the Agenda 2020 actually do something and make an impact, maybe that is when the people of Denver might change their minds. I think if Salt Lake were going to use some of their venues to help Denver, they would just bid for themselves instead.

Tony, keep in mind that this was 40 years ago. I have a feeling that the larger, more diverse, and more sports oriented population of Denver would heavily support a bid. And Salt Lake City and Denver are 8 hours apart by car, no way the cities could have a joint bid.

I have a question about if Canada bid for 2026. If Canada do bid, would Quebec be the bidder? I say this because I actually think Calgary would for some reason. Also, if America put all their thinking into 2024 and decide not to bid for 2026 and Canada decide not to bid, surely only a European bid could host 2026? Asia wouldn't bid because they hosted 2018, 2020 and 2022.

No, it would be Calgary.

Don't let some dumbass conservatives keep you from supporting what would be a great bid.

Tony, keep in mind that this was 40 years ago. I have a feeling that the larger, more diverse, and more sports oriented population of Denver would heavily support a bid. And Salt Lake City and Denver are 8 hours apart by car, no way the cities could have a joint bid.

No, it would be Calgary.

I wouldn't be too sure about Calgary. After all Agenda 2020 was passed, which allows for the alpine events to be held across the border. Also of note is the COC president is from Quebec, and would most likely be behind a bid from there.

If we believe in Agenda 2020 (I'm not convinced) it could lead to some interesting bids. Could we see one venue being included in two bids.. say Denver and SLT planning to use Utah Olympic Park? That'd be a new wrinkly.

As for Quebec, they still have no mountain. Whiteface (near Lake Placid) is a decent venue but (1) has terrible transportation problems (2) is far from Quebec and (3) the US/Canada border is a PITA... far different from the Schengen Borders which are what I suspect the IOC has in mind.

Note that Calgary doesn't really have a great downhill mountain, but at least it has one that can be jury rigged into service.

If we believe in Agenda 2020 (I'm not convinced) it could lead to some interesting bids. Could we see one venue being included in two bids.. say Denver and SLT planning to use Utah Olympic Park? That'd be a new wrinkly.

I believe in Agenda 2020 from the standpoint of countries putting together bids. Not sure I buy into it just yet in terms of those bids actually winning a vote. And until that happens, Agenda 2020 is one of these..

red+herring.png

It is an interesting point about Denver/Salt Lake though. Doubt we'll see it play out for a while to come though.

As for Quebec, they still have no mountain. Whiteface (near Lake Placid) is a decent venue but (1) has terrible transportation problems (2) is far from Quebec and (3) the US/Canada border is a PITA... far different from the Schengen Borders which are what I suspect the IOC has in mind.

Note that Calgary doesn't really have a great downhill mountain, but at least it has one that can be jury rigged into service.

I don't see why Lake Louise couldn't be used for Calgary.

I don't see why Lake Louise couldn't be used for Calgary.

Neither do I. It's a regular stop on the World Cup circuit. Yes, it's not as close to Calgary as Nakiska, but it's close enough to work. Certainly closer than Lake Placid is to Montreal or Quebec, particularly when you factor in the quality of the roads involved

Actually Banff/Lake Louise is very hard to get to. Even when one takes the TransCanada line, one has to get off at, I believe, Jasper, then it takes almost a whole day to get down there to Louise/Banff. That's why it's never been considered. That's my understanding of how ordinary people try to get to Banff if one wants to take in the scenery. I don't even know that one can fly in.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Actually Banff/Lake Louise is very hard to get to. Even when one takes the TransCanada line, one has to get off at, I believe, Kamloops, then it takes almost a whole day to get down there to Louise/Banff. That's why it's never been considered. That's my understanding of how ordinary people try to get to Banff if one wants to take in the scenery. I don't even know that one can fly in.

Uhm, there's a highway link from Calgary? I'm sure for the Olympics, you could install a shuttle bus service on that. LL is hosting WC races every winter, and while there will be greater masses to move for Olympics, it's not like it's located in Nunavut.

Banff/LL were some of my fave places on my Canada trip back in 2003, so I'd love to see them as Olympic sites.

Actually Banff/Lake Louise is very hard to get to. Even when one takes the TransCanada line, one has to get off at, I believe, Kamloops, then it takes almost a whole day to get down there to Louise/Banff. That's why it's never been considered. That's my understanding of how ordinary people try to get to Banff if one wants to take in the scenery. I don't even know that one can fly in.

My parents and I did a trip through the Canadian Rockies when I was a kid (really cool trip, my mom has always said it was 1 of her favorites). We hit Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, and even made it as far up as Jasper. That's where all the good scenery is and yes, that's a much longer trip that's going to take the better part of a day.

Judging by Google Maps (probably smarter than relying off of 25 year old memories when someone else was doing the driving), Calgary to Banff is 128km. Lake Louise is about another 50km up the road. Distance-wise, the trip is further than it is from Vancouver to Whistler, although Google says the times are relatively comparable. And both places, Banff and Lake Louise, are most definitely right off the Trans-Canada highway (baron, I looked up Kamloops.. that's on the way from Vancouver if you were coming from BC, as opposed to Calgary which is where you'd fly into). Very accessible. And according to the website for the Lake Louise Ski Resort, there are lots of shuttle bus services from Calgary and Banff to get people to Lake Louise. Obviously a World Cup event is not the crowds you'd get for an Olympics, but at least they have some experience handling large crowds.

Kamloops is in a totally different province.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sion will certainly be a great contester having acquired the bidding experience in the past and been every single time to the final. Sion has lost against Salt Lake City in 2002, and I found interesting that everybody remembers how Denver dropped its bid in the 70's but no one seems to remember the scandal and corruption surrounding the bid of Salt Lake City to be chosen as the organizing city in 2002, which Sion lost it by just a few votes! The IOC has been reformed ever since and Sion has certainly learned the hard lesson and will not let the games slipped between his fingers. The region is very pro-sport mentality with an alpine culture so organizing the games will be like second nature. I doubt a referendum will stop them to race for 2026. GO SION!

Sion will certainly be a great contester having acquired the bidding experience in the past and been every single time to the final. Sion has lost against Salt Lake City in 2002, and I found interesting that everybody remembers how Denver dropped its bid in the 70's but no one seems to remember the scandal and corruption surrounding the bid of Salt Lake City to be chosen as the organizing city in 2002, which Sion lost it by just a few votes! The IOC has been reformed ever since and Sion has certainly learned the hard lesson and will not let the games slipped between his fingers. The region is very pro-sport mentality with an alpine culture so organizing the games will be like second nature. I doubt a referendum will stop them to race for 2026. GO SION!

6/16/1995 Budapest, Hungary 104 2002, Winter Salt Lake City, USA

Ostersund, Sweden

Sion, Switzerland

Quebec City, Canada 54

Sion lost to Salt Lake by more than a few votes. SLC had almost 4 times as many votes as Sion. They were much closer in the 2006 vote (53-36) and the 1976 vote (39-30). 2002 was their worst performance of the 3. If you're talking about bidding experience, remember that the 2026 vote will occur 20 years since their last attempt. Obviously it didn't help them so much for 2002 (26 years after 1976), so I don't think their past history is something you can cite as a positive in their favor

Salt Lake City had tried to bid four times prior to be selected in 2002, and nearly $16 million was spent in briberies and other campaign to convince the IOC members to vote in its favor for the 2002 bid. Sion was finalist as well but played the "Fair-Games". All those members have been let go by the IOC and rules were changed stipulating that a candidate city could not offer any gift to its members for a value exceeding a certain limit, and that official visits to candidate cities would be taken following the IOC rules. Why do you think New York and Chicago bidding for the summer games right after had such bad reputation?

Sion had by far the best technical report in the last two bids as described by the IOC. The only real obstacle Sion could face for the 2026 race would be another serious European city.