A joined danish swedish bid. My private suggestion...

Hansfromdenmark

Hi everybody.

I love the idea of the possibility of joined bids, and it could be a big help for perhaps Scandinavien countries. As beeing from Denmark i truly believe we could make a good games together with Sweden. I have made a suggestion for a tripple bid from Copenhagen (as the major town) and Malmo and Gothenburg. It takes about 2½ hour in train from Copenhagen to Gothenburg, and only 12 minutes from Copenhagen airport to the main area in Malmo. It has been chosen this way to make use of most existing arenas, and therefore not a lot of White elephants after the games. Yeah i know, you all think it is a baaad idea and don´t think it could Work. But I think that IOC want´s to prove the new agenda and make us for it in the first selection after the agenda has come. And there I think Scandinavia could have a good chance.

There are in my suggestion 24 sports in Copenhagen, 7 in Malmo and 7 in Gothenburg, and football in both countries to make us of the biggest stadiums in both countries.

It has the following venues used:

In Copenhagen:

• Rowing and Canoing: Bagsværd lake (10-15.000 att.) Temp seating
  • Mountainbike: Temap seating
  • Road cycling: temp seating around finish line
  • BMX track: New track, temp seating (5-7.000 att.)
  • Track cycling: Ballerup Superarena (6.500 att.)
  • Wrestling: Ballerup Superarena (6.500 att) (After track cykling)
  • Boxing: Brøndby Hallen (7.000 att.)
  • All swimming and Waterpolo: A newly build arena (15.000 att.)
  • Weightlifting: Forum (5-6.000 att.)
  • Handball: Parken (15-20.000 att.) Parken is the national stadium with possibility to close the roof. Split the stadium in 2 hall)
  • Volleyball: Parken (10-12.000 att) Parken splitted in 2 arenas as mentioned above
  • Sailing: Temp seating
  • Beach Volleyball: Teamp arena (10-12.000 att.)
  • Archery: temp seating
  • Triathlon: Temp seating around finish line (perhaps same as road cycling)
  • Badminton: Royal arena (10.000 att.)
  • Taekwondo: Royal arena (10.000 att) after badminton is finished
  • Golf: Royal golf Club, temp seating
  • Equestrian: Temp rebuildied football stadium, perhaps Valby or Hvidovre stadium and added some temp seating

In Malmo:

• Shooting: Don´t know exatcly what kind of venue, but temp. builded or fidded in to a already existing smaller venue
  • Basketball: Malmo Arena (12.000 att.)
  • Fencing: Malmo ice arena (5.500 att.)
  • Judo: Malmo ice arena (5.500 att.)
  • Hockey: Temp arena
  • Rugby: Swedbank arena (20.000 att.) Existing newer stadium
  • Canoing Slalom: Temp arena, newly builed.

In Gothenburg:

• Athletics: Ullevi stadium (60.000 att.) existing stadium which now have 43.000 att, bur renovated and expanded for the games
  • Tennis: Old Ullevi stadium (20.000 att.) Existing football stadium, temp rebuild to have 3 tennis Courts across with different att. and som more in the area around. I think it could Work very nicely. Ofcourse also with temp seating across the stadium. I can see et for my eyes, but hard to explane.
  • Tabletennis: Frølundeborg arena (7.500 att.) existing venue
  • Artistic gymastic: Scandinavium (12.000 att.) existing venue
  • Rythm gymnastic: Scandinavium (12.000 att.) existing venue
  • Trampolin: Scandinavium (12.000 att.) existing venue

For soccer there are the following stadiums:

• Ullevi, Gothenburg, (60.000 att.) The final, and perhaps 1 or 2 matches the first week before athletic starts
  • Freinds arena, Stockholm, (50.000 att.)
  • Tele 2 arena, Stockholm, (30.000 att.)
  • Brøndby Stadium, Copenhagen, (30.000 att.)
  • Malmo Stadium, Malmo, (25.000 att.)
  • Aarhus stadium, Aarhus, (25.000 att.)

And other possibilites also around 20-25.000 att. Perhaps someone could be temp extracted to 35.000 or so.

With this plan, we will have 3 Olympic villages, Copenhagen with about 5.600 athletes, Gothenburg with about 3.000 athletes and Malmo with about 1.700 athletes. There will not be build a lot of new perm. venues, in fact the only complete new perm. venue is a Water stadium for all swimming etc. Otherwise it is multi-arenas and creative solutions in different ways, and temp seating for different outside events. Perhaps a few other events could go to Sweden, Beachvolley for example, and archery or Triathlon or something. But this is my suggestion. Most of the used arenas in Gothenburg and Malmo are located close together and close to the train.

Well, shoot me suggestion down. I know you want to ;)

Regards
Hans from Denmark

Because the distance Stockholm - Malmo is 500 km. And Gothenburg, Copenhagen only 225. But yes, a bid that goes Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo could happen your right. And perhaps you are right in that Sweden don´t need Denmark in that case. But Denmark also has other venues in Aarhus, Aalborg and Herning, is that a better way to go? Or do you think Copenhagen best chance is a few events from Hamburg?

But as long as the people in charge of it don't go all vain & huge-scale, Copenhagen & Denmark would be perfect for a Euro games.

But you need the sporting tradition because that is where you draw your officials, linespeople and referees. And it produces better quality competition if those auxiliary positions are staffed by people who understand the finer technicalities. And unfortunately for the smaller nations, it's the big countries who have a big pool of knowledgeable people in the various sports to fill those positions. Otherwise, you will have to import several hundred officials and then provide even more lodging for them.

But you need the sporting tradition because that is where you draw your officials, linespeople and referees. And it produces better quality competition if those auxiliary positions are staffed by people who understand the finer technicalities. And unfortunately for the smaller nations, it's the big countries who have a big pool of knowledgeable people in the various sports to fill those positions. Otherwise, you will have to import several hundred officials and then provide even more lodging for them.

And the officials in Sochi, Beijing or London were all locals going back home with the bus each night? Seriously?

You need lodging for officials anyway, and for volunteers as well.

And the officials in Sochi, Beijing or London were all locals going back home with the bus each night? Seriously?

You need lodging for officials anyway, and for volunteers as well.

I'm not saying it's the case every time...but that's certainly a consideration when counting beds needed. But look at a lot of other Games, like Tokyo 1964, many of those officials (in swimming, T&F) are 98% locals.

That was 50 years ago!!!

Sports have become more professional, travelling has become much easier, and a lot of other things have changed too, you know...

Of course, did I say otherwise? Would you be counting on people who are not familiar with the language, with the setting, to be there on time for set finals? Why would you still recruit from abroad if you have enough qualified people from local ranks to fill? :blink:

Of course the officials needs lodging as well as a big part of the volounteers. And yes perhaps Denmark don´t have good officials in all sports. But i doubt that many countries has that. For example badminton in Brazil? Handball in USA. So ofcourse referees and officials comes from around the World. I cant see a problem here.

I am also a bid surprised actually, that you are saying Denmark is not big sporting nation, and then in the same mention Sweden could make it on there own. Look here:

London 2012:
Denmark: 2 gold, 4 silver, 3 bronze
Sweden: 1 gold, 4 silver, 3 bronze

Beijing 2008:
Denmark: 2 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze
Sweden: 0 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze

Athens 2004:
Denmark: 2 gold, 1 silver, 5 bronze

Sweden: 4 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze

I would say we are pretty much alike, when it comes to summer Olympics and medals.

Denmark has also been host for a lot of different World championschips, European championschips, World cups in many different sports, and we also have many different coming in the future years. So I think you are wrong when you say Denmark is not a sports power. When we take our size in mind i think we are pretty big in sport.

But thats just my opinion :)

Hans, Greece (with a little over 11 million people) has gone into hock over a Games which they took on primarily for pride and tradition; and now has all those rotting venues. And you think a smaller country of 5 million or so, will fare better? :blink: Copenhagen is good for an IOC Session as you had in 2009. The Summer Olympics, Hans, are the Big Boys game. But if you don't believe me, suit yourself.

It´s not only a question of size. If Greece has 11 million people, and only perhaps 10% are sports interested. And Denmark (with only 5,5 million people) has 50% sports interested, then what is best? I don´t say the numbers are so at all, but in my opinoin it is a wrong thought that size is all. It is about good organisation and not overbuilding. Thats why my suggestion only have ONE completely new permanent arena. For all swimming. And perhaps some venues has 6-8.000 att. instead of 10.000. But Again that is because we are smaller, and don´t need so big venues.

Perhaps you are right, and if we should alone i perhaps think you are. But together we could, and i still prefere Sweden in stead of Germany. But it seems to me you just say no because et sounds to small, and don´t take notice of the details in the project.

Of course, did I say otherwise? Would you be counting on people who are not familiar with the language, with the setting, to be there on time for set finals? Why would you still recruit from abroad if you have enough qualified people from local ranks to fill? :blink:

I'm sure the IFs have a word or two about qualification for officials. And I'm pretty sure there were international officials in Athens, Beijing or Sochi who did not attend Greek, Chinese or Russian lessons prior to the Games.

And even if you only recruit nationally, they will not come all from the host city, so lodging needs to be provided. There's probably many reasons against a Copenhagen Olympics, but claiming lodging requirements for officials as an issue us ridiculous as all hosts would have to take care of this.

, but claiming lodging requirements for officials as an issue us ridiculous as all hosts would have to take care of this.

Did I say it was the MAIN issue? It's just one of many and w/o having to go into a litany of reasons. But it is an issue for smaller cities because lodging for everyone -- visitors, the IOC family, additional security forces, other auxiliary workers, etc.,etc. are a major consideration.

Hans, much as I love Denmark and the Danish people, Denmark is too small to be taken seriously for a SOG + Denmark's really NOT a sports power. So I would say, let it go. ;)

Well, Greece was a small country too. But either way i don't see the danes supporting an olympic bid. Much like Netherlands, they are scared of hosting the games, and now with more good reasons than ever. However it wouldn't be a bad idea if they do the European Games. I think Denmark is capable of staging the event.

Denmark did the EYOF in 1999 (although that is a very small event) and the Parken will host some matches for the 2020 Euro.

For the record, IF's choose officials from different continents to bring to their world championships and Olympic competitions to be diverse and as objective as possible.

Yea I thought everyone already knew that, which is why I didn't understand this discussion about Denmark having under-qualified officials.

• 6 months later...

It´s not only a question of size. If Greece has 11 million people, and only perhaps 10% are sports interested. And Denmark (with only 5,5 million people) has 50% sports interested, then what is best? I don´t say the numbers are so at all, but in my opinoin it is a wrong thought that size is all. It is about good organisation and not overbuilding. Thats why my suggestion only have ONE completely new permanent arena. For all swimming. And perhaps some venues has 6-8.000 att. instead of 10.000. But Again that is because we are smaller, and don´t need so big venues.

Perhaps you are right, and if we should alone i perhaps think you are. But together we could, and i still prefere Sweden in stead of Germany. But it seems to me you just say no because et sounds to small, and don´t take notice of the details in the project.

This isn't only related to numbers. It's also related to the impact and the logistics. With international elements like terrorism, the SOG is currently a big baggage for a small country. Look what happened with Greece -Which was also the crane of the Western Civilization and the Olympics-. Even if 50% of the population like the sports, this is only 2 million. The effort doesn't justify the results in economical and political way. These aren't the WOG which are dependant of more limitations. Again, Denmark is more akin for the European Games

Archived