UEFA Champions League

• 3 weeks later...

I'm mostly mad at the fact that the overrated football "star" that is CR7 did literally nothing on this match and scores the last penalty shot once again, stealing all the spotlight again.

Also no one mentioned how horrible the opening ceremony was. I thought this was the Champions League, not the Superbowl.

• 2 months later...

2016-17 Group Stage Draw

Key dates

• 13-14 September - First round of group matches
  • 6-7 December - Final round of group matches
  • 14-15/21-22 February - Round of 16, first leg
  • 7-8/14-15 March - Round of 16, second leg
  • 11-12 April - Quarter-finals, first leg
  • 18-19 April - Quarter-finals, second leg
  • 2-3 May - Semi-finals, first leg
  • 9-10 May - Semi-finals, second leg
  • 3 June - Final (Cardiff)

• 3 weeks later...

Kyiv to host 2018 Champions League final

Kyiv's NSK Olimpiyskyi has been selected to host the 2018 UEFA Champions League final, the first European Cup decider to be held in Ukraine.

©Getty Images

Kyiv's NSK Olimpiyskyi has been selected to host the 2018 UEFA Champions League final.

To be held on 26 May 2018, the final will be the first such decider played at the Olympic National Sports Complex in the Ukrainian capital. However, the stadium is no stranger to big occasions: Dynamo Kyiv took on Bayern München there in the 1975 UEFA Super Cup second leg, while it was also a venue in the 1980 Olympics and UEFA EURO 2012, staging five games including the final.

The decision was taken at Thursday's UEFA Executive Committee meeting in Athens.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2397994.html

• 1 month later...

Champions League: Uefa president says final could move outside of Europe

The Champions League final could be played outside of Europe, says new Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

The Slovenian will revive an open bidding process to host the final, and is open to it being staged in New York.

"It might be an idea but we have to speak about it," said Ceferin, who was named head of European football's governing body last month.

The 61 finals have all been held in Europe but Ceferin said travel to the US would be "no problem" for fans.

He added: "To go from Portugal to Azerbaijan for example is almost the same or the same as if you go to New York.

"It's a European competition so let's think about it.''

As it stands, Uefa awards the finals without any tendering process, with stadium hosts decided in secret by the leadership.

"The bidding process should be very clear because if you get the Champions League finals or Europa League finals as a political favour then it's not OK," Ceferin said.

The former Slovenian Football Association chief said he would not sacrifice the competition's success by changing kick-off times, usually 19:45 BST, to suit worldwide markets.

"From a financial point of view it's not ideal," Ceferin said. "We should think also about other markets, but how to do it exactly I'm not sure yet.

"China is financially interesting and the US is not just financially interesting, but football is growing there."

The Champions League final has been played on a Saturday since 2010 and is the competition's only game not played in midweek.

Ceferin said one idea to increase viewers would be to also move the semi-finals to a weekend.

"There are some ideas about that - China is not asleep because it's Saturday and they can watch," he said.

"But there are many problems concerning that with the calendar of the leagues.

"National leagues are too important. You have the Premier League which is very strong."

BBC

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37720274

This is just as insulting to fans as the idea to put the NFL's Super Bowl in Europe. Apart from the expense of intercontinental travel, there is the visa issue to consider. These sporting executives only care about their own bank accounts.

There is a part of me that thinks that perhaps Avery Brundage was right all along. EDIT: Just to be clear, I am referring to amateurism in sport. I am not implying that I approve of his views on other matters.

Edited by Nacre

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

This is just as insulting to fans as the idea to put the NFL's Super Bowl in Europe. Apart from the expense of intercontinental travel, there is the visa issue to consider. These sporting executives only care about their own bank accounts.

By then, it may be easier for Britons to get to the US than the continent. 

Lol, it's cute how they keep trying so hard to please the American market by doing retarded decisions like these. I knew something was wrong when this year Final opening ceremony felt like a Superbowl Halftime show than a Champions League. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Borussia Dortmund football team bus hit by explosions

Three explosions have hit a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund football team to their home Champions League quarter-final match against Monaco.

Player Marc Bartra was injured and was taken to hospital, the club said, but is not believed to be seriously hurt.

The team tweeted (in German) that the other players were safe and there was no danger in or around the stadium.

The first-leg match was postponed and will now be played on Wednesday at 18:45 local time (16:45 GMT).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39571776

• 5 months later...
On 9/20/2017 at 4:25 PM, yoshi said:

Erm...can someone clarify what the hell is going on with the 2019 final? Skyscrapercity has posts saying it's in Baku, then Madrid, then Baku again

Whilst he seems to have mellowed, I'm fairly sure Ioannes_ is an alt account of another Spaniard who never got over Madrid 2012's loss and sees everything as a slight against Spain. Even a hint Baku might beat Madrid (there seem to have been rumours in Spanish media to that effect) got him going.

Anyway, Madrid has it. It is a lovely looking stadium, and doesn't have a track like Baku's so happy with that.

What's your account name on SSC btw yoshi?

Edited by Rob.