If Rome drops out, it only solidifies even more that the IOC needs Europe more than ever before. There's no guarantee that another Italian city would step in anyway. The only other city that could would be Milan, & they really haven't shown any interest in pursing an Olympics since their 2000 attempt, which they dropped out of anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think?  Will Rome officially drop out of the race tomorrow?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/09/20/rome-mayor-to-announce-decision-on-2024-olympics-bid/90749514/

55 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

What do you guys think?  Will Rome officially drop out of the race tomorrow?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/09/20/rome-mayor-to-announce-decision-on-2024-olympics-bid/90749514/

With so much open hostility from the current Mayor and city council, it's difficult to see how this bid can now survive unfortunately. Such a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing a Rome bid although Paris has to be the hot favourite in my opinion.

Wonder if another Italian city will step into the breach like the PM hinted?

Edited by Mainad

Rome's new mayor set to pull plug on 2024 Olympics bid

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpegBy Gavin JonesSeptember 21, 2016
2016-09-21T071539Z_1_LYNXNPEC8K0CO_RTROPTP_2_ITALY-ROME-5STAR.JPG

By Gavin Jones

ROME (Reuters) - Rome's new mayor, Virginia Raggi, has decided to withdraw the city's backing for a bid to host the 2024 Olympic Games in the Italian capital, a city hall official said on Wednesday.

spaceball.gifThe decision, to be announced later on Wednesday, effectively sinks Rome's bid and narrows the field of Olympics bidders to Paris, Los Angeles and Budapest.Raggi's anti-establishment 5-Star Movement, which won control of Rome in June, had always expressed doubts about staging the sporting spectacular, saying the heavily indebted city could ill afford to finance the investment needed.

But the Rome 2024 bid team, backed by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, had held out hopes that she could change her mind.

Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago has said the bid would fail without the city council's backing. 

During the mayoral election campaign, Raggi said the city had other priorities but did not definitively back away from the bid. In one election debate, she said she would call a popular referendum on whether to continue with the bid. 

Revelations of systematic corruption involving Roman politicians, bureaucrats and businessmen in late 2014 prompted doubts about whether the city could handle work associated with the Olympics in a transparent way. 

Rome had also bid to host the 2020 Games, but then-prime minister Mario Monti withdrew due to concerns over Italy's finances.

Raggi, who has been beset by resignations, infighting and scandals in her first few months as mayor, is due to give a news conference about the Olympics bid at 1330 GMT.

She is expected to explain the decision to withdraw from the bid process, citing major cost overruns that have left past host cities in debt, the city hall official said. 

The International Olympic Committee is due to select the host city in September 2017.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/rome-mayor-withdraw-backing-2024-olympic-bid-city-071539068--oly.html

So it looks like it's a done deal already - Rome 2024 is out. Only thing left is merely to make it official.

Wow. So it started not so long ago with Boston, Hamburg, Rome, Budapest and Paris for the 2024 Olympic bid. And now we're left with L.A, Budapest and Paris. Who's next?

I really don't think Paris or L.A will drop out. Paris is getting an even better chance now, and somehow, so is L.A.

Budapest, I'm not quite sure...

You almost have to laugh. Four years ago the city authorities were behind the bid but the technocratic PM scrapped it. Now there's a PM who is all for it and and yet Romans - who themselves are in favour of the Olympics - booted out their pro-Olympic mayor for an anti-establishment Mayor who's decided to scrap it.

I mean, thar really does sum up Italian politics...even with Silvio gone!

I think it's the right choice to drop it now. And it was pretty clear it would go this way when the new Mayor was elected, as her opinion on the Olympics was well-known beforehand. Today's meeting fiasco sounds like bad style, but let's be real: Rome has other worries these days, worries which would not have been overcome by hosting 2024. Maybe they should focus on improving life in the city first rather than to hide investment behind the slim chance of hosting.

As for the three remaining cities: It'll be fun in Lima when the super nice, world-welcoming trio Donald, Marine and Viktor present their cities to the IOC. Or maybe I'm just cynical and overpessimistic.

I feel sorry for Lord David. Another Rome "bid", but no Rome bid book...

Seriously, Rome was doomed the moment Raggi was elected. A bid without the support of the municipal government going through against a couple of powerhouses and another seemingly "lesser: bid but with solid government support? It had it all against it.

And Raggi was possibly right. Probably there are other more pressing priorities for Rome. And even if it had full backing and enthusiastic support at all levels, I still think most would have rated it a dark horse at best against Paris and LA. And a likely loss would have confirmed those opposed to the bid all the more their reasons against it. 

I guess for Italy it just rests now on seeing what chances 2028 might offer. Probably the biggest challenge for CONI now in any future bid will be to overcome a growing reputation Italian bids may now have in som minds for unreliability. Starting to make South Africa look decisive.

42 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I feel sorry for Lord David. Another Rome "bid", but no Rome bid book...

Lmfao - I was thinking the same thing. His bid-book panties must be all in knots now! :lol:

45 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I guess for Italy it just rests now on seeing what chances 2028 might offer. Probably the biggest challenge for CONI now in any future bid will be to overcome a growing reputation Italian bids may now have in som minds for unreliability. Starting to make South Africa look decisive.

Plus, the IOC will now make Italy "pay" for their two-consecutive withdrawals if they dare bid for 2028! :lol:

As dismal as this seems for Rome, and it probably is, it really isn't over yet.  A motion needs to pass at Rome City Hall to remove support.  Raggi is on a shaky footing right now and it isn't a stretch to say her motion could get rejected - or she could be.  There are threats of legal action and CONI is still working on the bid until the motion passes.  Malago said “The City Council will be responsible for what they have announced today, we are going on until the formal decision."  Stay tuned!