from what I know rome 2020 venue plan had nearly every indoor sport in the fiera roma, and after that , a bunch of temp+existing sites throughout the downtown core of the city. I think the only things that were 100% new were the velodrome and flatwater course and whitewater slalom.

Exactly. So, other then them withdrawing, Rome 2020 will be very similar to Rome 2024. Both with strong bids, just financial issues, which of course, is a major part.

Sense Tony will not post or link to Rome's 2020 Applicant File with you Rols here is my copy of it...hot off the press!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D26EB4E1021FFAA2!399&authkey=!AHtL89TnX2Hy9nI&ithint=file%2cpdf

The venue map is on page 80.

Here is also a picture I took using a snipping tool I have:

3144d39.png

• Like 1

Some of the quirky, beloved venues of 1960 that I remember (from reading the coverage of some of the Games) when the scale was much smaller, and like only a few hundred seats

massenzio2.jpg

- Wrestling - the baths at Caracalla. Can you imagine that being used today? :rolleyes:

David-Broome-Sunsalve-OS-Rom-1960-lag.jp

- Equestrian - at the Villa Borghese

- Rowing - at Lago Albano.

- Rowing - at Lago Albano.

Does rowing now require an artificial lake from non-Brazilian countries? If so that's a pretty big blow to a lot of cities with a strong environmentalist stance. That would be a rallying point for opposition in places like San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, etc.

To be honest, as a hydrologist myself, I would throw my body in front of a project to create a freshwater rowing lake in California. Creating an artificial harbor in San Francisco Bay for the rowing would be OK, though.

Edited by Nacre

Does rowing now require an artificial lake from non-Brazilian countries? If so that's a pretty big blow to a lot of cities with a strong environmentalist stance. That would be a rallying point for opposition in places like San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, etc.

To be honest, as a hydrologist myself, I would throw my body in front of a project to create a freshwater rowing lake in California. Creating an artificial harbor in San Francisco Bay for the rowing would be OK, though.

Don't quite understand your point...but NO -- neither a lake nor an artificial basin is specified. Atlanta used Lake Lanier; Barcelona was at Banyoles; Chicago 2016 had proposed the Lake Michigan Waterfront; SF's recent Rowing site was the Briones Reservoir. It's where the prospective Organizing Committee can site the competition on a reasonably environmentally-friendly basis; where stands can be put at the finish line (to least generate funds to pay for the event); where there is a minimum of prevailing winds to allow for great competition; and a site which will leave the least intrusive footprint once the competition is gone and all the banners are folded.

• 3 months later...

I actually feel more romantically intrigued with a Rome Olympics than a Paris one. And Rome would give Paris a good run for their money (ala London 2012 style) if it wasn't in such a dire financial condition. But considering how stagnant the Italian economy is, & the city of Rome being nearly bankrupt, I just can't see it being competitive much with a solid Paris 2024 bid.

Rome City Council votes 38-6 in favor of bid for 2024 Olympics

http://news.yahoo.com/romes-city-council-votes-favor-rome-2024-bid-140229465.html

Quite a ringing endorsement from the city council following the collapse of the 2020 bid! What a difference 3 years makes and yet the city's financial shape is not significantly better than it was 3 years ago.

Rome is ideally the one candidate best placed to give Paris a run for its money if its latest bid fares better than the last one!

French economy isn't exactly in great shape either though.

In comparison to Italy's, however, France's still looks pretty darn good. And then when you factor in all the other positives for Paris, it starts to become a no contest.

Japan's economy wasn't/isn't exactly stellar either at the time of the 2020 campaign, but they are nontheless more than capable of taking on the Games.

LOL!! What cheap Frascati are they drinking???

Yeah, I was going to comment on that in my initial post & forgot. There's no way they can do it for that cheap (especially at 2024 prices). It's almost as laughable as Madrid 2020's "$1.9 Billion budget".

I actually feel more romantically intrigued with a Rome Olympics than a Paris one. And Rome would give Paris a good run for their money (ala London 2012 style) if it wasn't in such a dire financial condition. But considering how stagnant the Italian economy is, & the city of Rome being nearly bankrupt, I just can't see it being competitive much with a solid Paris 2024 bid.

I disagree - Rome is not quite the same threat to Paris as London was.

I think Paris needs to be very cautious of Rome, more so than Boston or Budapest (arguably the Madrid/Moscow filler candidates) but there is now such a dramatic weight behind a Paris hosting. Plus, Paris' last Olympics is no longer in conscious memory, Rome 1960 somewhat still is. In almost every conceivable measure of 'deservability' Paris is in front... And that's before we get to issues of economic capability and strategic planning... Where Paris still leads.

While Rome would host a terrific Games, I'd be terribly disappointed and disillusioned if Paris gets snubbed a fourth time.

I disagree - Rome is not quite the same threat to Paris as London was.

I'm not saying Rome is. What I said was that they COULD'VE been if it not for their dismal financial situation ATM, akin to Madrid 2020.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Many said the same of London right at the start of the 2012 race. Pointing out many of the aspects that you just did in their favor & that Paris "deserves" it the most by all accounts. However, we should all know by now that particular word is not in the IOC's vocabulary, & that these things aren't exactly linear. The only thing predictable about the IOC is their unpredictability. And of course, it also depends how any particular campaign is unfolding, particularly closer to vote time (ie Jacque Chiracs big mouth two days before the 2012 vote).

With all that said, I still maintain that if Rome was in a good, strong position like they were back with their 2004 bid, then I'd say they'd be a very formidable opponent to Paris (let's also consider CONI, which is still very influential within the IOC). But since they're not, then I don't see the Italians in that strong of a position against Paris 2024. TBH, at this point, Paris should be a little more cautious of Hamburg than Rome.

Strange question but

Does anyone think that any IOC members might hold a grudge for Rome dropping out of 2020?

Yes. Lord David.

Seriously, the IOC is not really in a position to hold a grudge these days when suitable cities run away from bidding as fast as they can.

No. That was only one of LD's wacky theories. It's not like Rome pulled an Oslo. The IOC has bigger issues to concern themselves with than to worry about something like that.

Like making sure they don't scare off any future potential 'A lister' by turning down Paris a fourth time......

Like making sure they don't scare off any future potential 'A lister' by turning down Paris a fourth time......

Too bad though that the IOC won't see it that way, & that Paris 2024 would be smart in not making any hints about such a thing.

Too bad though that the IOC won't see it that way, & that Paris 2024 would be smart in not making any hints about such a thing.

Like it was said before, Paris isn't looking back this time, so no "Centenarry of Paris 1924, no three failed bids, etc.". Hopefully. But from what I read, they did learn from their previous mistakes and are going the right way this time. Hopefully (2).

Like it was said before, Paris isn't looking back this time, so no "Centenarry of Paris 1924, no three failed bids, etc.". Hopefully. But from what I read, they did learn from their previous mistakes and are going the right way this time. Hopefully (2).

Yes, I'm very well aware of that. But it looks like your fellow countrymen missed that little tidbit of news from Etienne Thobois.

We are smart enough to not make any hints on that very touchy subject.

Nevertheless scaring off any future bidder will be the elephant in the room.......

They know it.

We know it.

And we know that they know that we know it........

:P

Yeah, sure. Everyone knows it. But no one likes underlying, smug a$sholes.

Considering how we were treated last time, ie: playing by the rules and getting shafted for doing so, we can now afford to be smug......

The IOC is on the back foot. They can either commit suicide or......award 2024 to Paris!!

:D

Considering how we were treated last time, ie: playing by the rules and getting shafted for doing so, we can now afford to be smug......

The IOC is on the back foot. They can either commit suicide or......award 2024 to Paris!!

:D

You've got Mike Lee now. So that, plus learning from past mistakes and looking forward, might be the winning combo this time. J'espere!!