Well, obviously it's pure necessity as very few cities could organize two football tournaments (London could have done it though but instead wanted to spread it to other parts of the country) but volleyball is played entirely at one venue if I'm not mistaken.

I'm always surprised that putting football in other cities is like - oh, of course, no problem... but putting vollyball elsewhere would be bad.

Volleyball, indoor or outdoor, can easily be fitted into within city limits. A convention center can be easily converted into an indoor volleyball venue, and a large outdoor area can easily convert into a beach volleyball venue. Hell in Madrid they were going to drain the water from a paddleboarding lake in Retiro Park to make it a beach volleyball venue that would have been awesome to see.

But since soccer is a more popular sport that demands more seating, and the soccer field is a much larger area than a beach volleyball field, you can't easily accommodate all the games being played within city limits since most cities in the world won't have more than one stadium that can handle soccer games. Although I think most major US cities are capable of handling all the games within state limits, so there's no need for there to be games on opposite coasts.

I'm always surprised that putting football in other cities is like - oh, of course, no problem... but putting vollyball elsewhere would be bad.

But since soccer is a more popular sport that demands more seating, and the soccer field is a much larger area than a beach volleyball field, you can't easily accommodate all the games being played within city limits since most cities in the world won't have more than one stadium that can handle soccer games. Although I think most major US cities are capable of handling all the games within state limits, so there's no need for there to be games on opposite coasts.

It's also a sport that requires 4 or 5 venues rather than 1 or 2. That would be a pretty big burden to put on a city, above and beyond the burden of the rest of the Olympics. So if you have nearby cities (or even some not so nearby) that have an existing stadium, why not use it. How often does a venue need to be built or even renovated to hold soccer.

YOU'RE, YOU'RE, YOU'RE! Write it five bloody times till you get it right!

Errrr, Tony got it right actually. You're means "you are".

Made a bit of a wally of yourself there Mr B! :lol:

LMAO grammar correction fail! Try again!

Ofan, Your comments about Me are offensive too.

eh??? what are you talking about??? i think you've made a mistake here...

I think he's referring to the comment ofan made about his family not abandoning him. I found it utterly hilarious!

Stop talking about Tony's family. They must be great considering that they haven't abandoned him yet.

And you really think I give a damn? You are a LOSER Tony. Get over yourself.

No, You are the loser, not Me. You must be so unhappy with Your own Life that You call other People that.

I am not a loser. I have a Family. They care about Me. That's all I need. I am not a loser.

Errrr, Tony got it right actually. You're means "you are".

Made a bit of a wally of yourself there Mr B! :lol:

Especially when he's been guilty of the same fricken mistake PLENTY of times before himself.. So double 'walley'.

That, plus another one plenty of people around here don't know to use properly, not knowing the difference between thAn & thEn, ugh!

• 4 weeks later...

IOC President to meet Italian Prime Minister for talks over Rome 2024 Olympic bid

International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach will meet Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) President Giovanni Malagò in Davos next week to discuss Rome's bid for the Summer Games in 2024.

The trip will coincide with CONI's announcement of a 10-man Bid Committee that will preside over Rome's campaign to host the 2024 Games, and will come shortly after tomorrow's opening of a special "invitation phase" with the IOC to begin the 2024 bid process.

Committee members were set to be named prior to Malagò's meeting with Bach, but, following a CONI Board meeting, he said that they now want to present all of the Committee at the same time.

"We want to involve young people as much as possible," Malagò said.

"In February, we'll inaugurate the headquarters for the Committee."

It was at this Board meeting that the CONI chief announced his meeting with Bach, which will be used to discuss plans for the nation's Olympic bid.

"I saw on Friday (January 9) the Prime Minister and the under-secretary Renzi Delrio," the official added.

"We talked at length about the nomination.

"I will see the Mayor to take stock of the situation after which there is a meeting we have planned next week with the Prime Minister Renzi and the President of IOC, Thomas Bach, in Davos, Switzerland on [January] 21 in the afternoon."

It is rumoured that Italy's former Foreign Minister, Franco Frattini, and ex-Ferrari President Luca Cordero Di Montezemolo, are being considered to lead the Bid Committee, which is expected to grow from 10 to 30 by the time of the host city vote in 2017.

Malagò confirmed the Bid Committee's budget will be between €5 million (£3.87 million/$5.89 million) and €10 million (£7.74 million/$11.78 million).

Rome and Boston are the only two cities to formally put forward a bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games although potential bids are being considered from Berlin or Hamburg in Germany, as well as South Africa, Paris, Budapest, Doha and Baku.

Rome has hosted the Olympics on one previous occasion, in 1960, and is expected to consider venues throughout Italy in a cost-saving bid.

The Italian's capital bid for the 2020 Games was scrapped by former Italian Premier Mario Monti two years ago over concerns about its financial impact on the country.

Current Prime Minister Renzi announced the latest bid proposal last month where he outlined a sustainable and affordable concept "that isn't based on great infrastructures or big dreams but rather great people".

A special invitation phase for the 2024 Olympic bid process will start tomorrow with the IOC keen to provide more consultation with cities in order to generate more popular support.

The final vote will then be taken during the IOC Session in Lima, Peru on September 15, 20

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2024/1024882-ioc-president-to-meet-top-italian-officials-in-davos-for-talks-over-rome-2024-olympic-bid

The 2024 bidding race is looking very strong, a lot stronger then the 2022 race. Rome and Boston submitting their bids, Paris and a bid from Germany considering bids and maybe a bid from South Africa, probably Durban.

Maybe the amount of bidders is influenced by the Agenda 2020. This Agenda 2020 can really work well, but in good time. This won't happen straight away.

Maybe the amount of bidders is influenced by the Agenda 2020. This Agenda 2020 can really work well, but in good time. This won't happen straight away.

I don't think so. So far, the US, Italy and RSA are the ones who stayed away from 2020. So it was more a case of laying low and coming back to fight another day.

• Like 1

Rome has hosted the Olympics on one previous occasion, in 1960, and is expected to consider venues throughout Italy in a cost-saving bid

It is far to early to make any meaningful assessments on the strengths and weaknesses of any particular bid. However, Agenda 2020 or not, do not expect a plan that has venues "throughout the country" to prevail over a more traditional compact bid, almost irrespective of the host cities/countries involved.

Don't think for a minute that the majority of IOC members think of "cost-savings" and "legacy" considerations as being of equal or greater importance to the "single village", "athlete-centric games", and "world class venue" considerations also stressed in Agenda 2020.

Unlike Agenda 2020 itself, where most items were ambiguous enough not to draw any strong opposition, and members had little incentive to vote openly against any particular measure, host city votes remain anonymous.

• Like 1

I don't think so. So far, the US, Italy and RSA are the ones who stayed away from 2020. So it was more a case of laying low and coming back to fight another day.

Well, Rome did bid, but withdrew in the middle of the bidding. South Africa did show interest in bidding for 2020, but didn't bid in the end. America showed interest aswell, but didn't bid. Agenda 2020 wasn't there when the bidding started for 2020 though, so 2024 could see more bidders, because of the influence of Agenda 2020 in my opinion.

The 2024 bidding race is looking very strong, a lot stronger then the 2022 race. Rome and Boston submitting their bids, Paris and a bid from Germany considering bids and maybe a bid from South Africa, probably Durban.

Go back to this point of time in the 2022 race. Were we looking at Stockholm, Oslo and probably Munich. Looked like an excess of great choices. Untill it all fell apart.

Well if Italy can keep the same PM for the next three years

That's asking a *lot* of Italy.

Go back to this point of time in the 2022 race. Were we looking at Stockholm, Oslo and probably Munich. Looked like an excess of great choices. Untill it all fell apart.

That's asking a *lot* of Italy.

Yes, but Agenda 2020 wasn't working at the start of the 2022 bidding, which makes me think that Agenda 2020 can help the 2024 bid race to have a few decent bids.