2024 Olympic Host To Be Chosen in Lima, Peru

GBModerator

I don't think it's a matter of people really caring where they pick the host city, moreso how much of a big fricken deal Tony is making that Lima was chosen.

Although, since 2005 in Singapore, where London upset Paris for 2012, the host city sessions have become kind of a big deal.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's a matter of people really caring where they pick the host city, moreso how much of a big fricken deal Tony is making that Lima was chosen.

Although, since 2005 in Singapore, where London upset Paris for 2012, the host city sessions have become kind of a big deal.

It wasn't an upset.

Anyway, I know Lima is Hosting, I was just saying about Continental Rotation.

It wasn't an upset.

Anyway, I know Lima is Hosting, I was just saying about Continental Rotation.

It actually was an upset. Paris was favoured to win for most of the bidding process. You're just too obsessed with London to bother to know that.

And by the way, your post limit is a limit, not a quota that you must fulfill daily. You really need to stop posting for the sake of posting. Sometimes it's okay to post less than 5 times a day. Some of the best contributors on here still only comment 3 or 4 times daily.

It actually was an upset. Paris was favoured to win for most of the bidding process. You're just too obsessed with London to bother to know that.

It was and wasn't an upset. In 2004 Paris looked unbeatable (especially when the leader of London's bid stepped aside), but by the time of the vote, it certainly wasn't an upset. The momentum London had built up was obvious to anyone following things closely enough, and whilst Paris was still favourite, it wasn't the hot favourite by that point as it had been, say, a year earlier. Paris was half a length ahead going into the final corner, and a nose behind when it crossed the finish line in 2nd.

And by the way, your post limit is a limit, not a quota that you must fulfill daily. You really need to stop posting for the sake of posting. Sometimes it's okay to post less than 5 times a day. Some of the best contributors on here still only comment 3 or 4 times daily.

As Rob said, the end result, London Hosting the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics wasn't an upset.

The matter of hosting & actually winning the bid are two totally different things entirely. Despite the bad publicity Sochi got in the lead-up to the winter Games (& it's enormous price tag in the end which scared off Europe for 2022), it still, relatively speaking, hosted a successful winter Games.

Paris losing out was an upset when they were virtually the sole favorites for those Games almost throughout the entire 2012 campaign. How successful London 2012 was is an after the fact argument & is neither here nor there when it came to the 2012 bid race back in 2005. But you believe what you what. The rest of us know better.

It was and wasn't an upset. In 2004 Paris looked unbeatable (especially when the leader of London's bid stepped aside), but by the time of the vote, it certainly wasn't an upset. The momentum London had built up was obvious to anyone following things closely enough, and whilst Paris was still favourite, it wasn't the hot favourite by that point as it had been, say, a year earlier. Paris was half a length ahead going into the final corner, and a nose behind when it crossed the finish line in 2nd.

I think almost anyone that was objective enough knew that the only city of the five finalists that could beat Paris was London. I remember the evening news here in the U.S. the day of the vote which they touted as "Paris loses out to London". "The French are left in the Olympic dark". "Rivals again meet". "London takes a 'surprising' victory".

I think it's easy to say now in hindsight, after us here like to over-analyze these things, that towards the end Paris had lost some steam. But at the time, it was still a stunner after the final result was announced. I'm sure Blair's heavy lobbying & the French bid team being low-key about it (bcuz they didn't want to appear "arrogant" about it, yet they still got accused of such) & then of course Chirac opening his big mouth, didn't do the Paris bid any favors only days before the final vote.

As Rob said, the end result, London Hosting the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics wasn't an upset.

Just stop being an ignorant prick, if you actually read Robs post you would know that it was still somewhat of an upset for those that did not follow the race closely and especially the French that felt London was behind them, which London was throughout the entire race. It was only in that last year that London picked up enough steam to bring home gold.

I think almost anyone that was objective enough knew that the only city of the five finalists that could beat Paris was London. I remember the evening news here in the U.S. the day of the vote which they touted as "Paris loses out to London". "The French are left in the Olympic dark". "Rivals again meet". "London takes a 'surprising' victory".

I think it's easy to say now in hindsight, after us here like to over-analyze these things, that towards the end Paris had lost some steam. But at the time, it was still a stunner after the final result was announced. I'm sure Blair's heavy lobbying & the French bid team being low-key about it (bcuz they didn't want to appear "arrogant" about it, yet they still got accused of such) & then of course Chirac opening his big mouth, didn't do the Paris bid any favors only days before the final vote.

It depends when you started following the whole process. If you're someone who was following the bidding from 2 years earlier, then yes, for Paris not to win would have come as a surprise. But if you entered the game a little later when Paris wasn't as far ahead of the curve, then you knew it was pretty close in the end and you're more in tune with those factors you mentioned that pushed London ahead of Paris. And obviously given the nature of the rivalry between the 2 cities, it made the competition that much more compelling versus, say, 2000 when it was Sydney versus Beijing.

Just stop being an ignorant prick, if you actually read Robs post you would know that it was still somewhat of an upset for those that did not follow the race closely and especially the French that felt London was behind them, which London was throughout the entire race. It was only in that last year that London picked up enough steam to bring home gold.

Who do You think Your talking to?

The most ignorant anglocentric prick on these forums.

I'm not going to Apologise for Supporting My Country. I am English, I will Support England.

Oh and also, don't Talk to Me like that.

I'm not going to Apologise for Supporting My Country. I am English, I will Support England.

Well stop Annoying everyone On this Forum you Moron!!!...and Paralympic Games! :P

It's 1 thing to support your country. It's another to be a belligerent asshole about it on a multi-national Internet site. You know your over-the-top support of England is an annoyance to many people here, yet you still don't seem to give a crap. Apparently you have still not learned the lesson that not every on the Internet is kind and nice and if you're going to act like a douchebag, people will respond in kind. Speaking of England, your Queen has a message for you..

2a80e778738a6e3e500abae932a3abfc482edb55

I'm sure you're going to tell me how this is mean and rude and really offensive and how dare I invoke your Queen in a response to you. I'm aware of all that. That's the intention. If you want the rest of us to treat you with any sort of respect, 1) you have to earn it and 2) enough with this idea that any time someone talks back to you, it's "who do you think you are" or "don't talk to me like that." What gives YOU the right to talk to us like that? You have been a cancer to these forums since just about the day you joined. And every time you have an introspective moment that makes the rest of us think you finally get it, 5 seconds later you revert right back to bad habits. If this cycle is going to continue (and clearly it's going to because you are incapable of getting the point), learn to deal with it.

And just for reference.. yes everyone, I know what I'm doing here. I don't need suggestions how to handle Tony or that I should just consider ignoring him. I considered that. This is my choice.

Well, it is offensive. The Queen is the leader of England and The Commonwealth. I find Your posts disrespectful.

The feeling is mutual, Tony. Your posts show a complete lack of respect for this forum and those who post here regularly. You come in here for about an hour a day, pick 4 posts to make a brief comment on and then don't return for another 24 hours. You contribute virtually nothing to this site. Actually no, that's not true.. you contribute to the discord on this site that's been here for a long time. My saying that may be disrespectful and offensive and rude, but it's the truth. And not to speak for others, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person that feels that way.

The feeling is mutual, Tony. Your posts show a complete lack of respect for this forum and those who post here regularly. You come in here for about an hour a day, pick 4 posts to make a brief comment on and then don't return for another 24 hours. You contribute virtually nothing to this site. Actually no, that's not true.. you contribute to the discord on this site that's been here for a long time. My saying that may be disrespectful and offensive and rude, but it's the truth. And not to speak for others, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person that feels that way.

Your Right. I haven't shown You Respect, because You haven't shown Me Respect. Maybe, instead of asking Me all the Time to show You Respect, maybe Meet Me halfway and You show Respect to Me, I show Respect to You. I show Respect to those who have shown Respect to Me. To Name a few, I have shown Respect to People like Rob, CAF, Rols, Yoshi, Palette, Davey and even Baron. These People have shown Respect to Me, Helped Me on these Forums and haven't disrespected Me, haven't deliberately tried winding Me up (When some People wind Me up, I fall for it and argue back, wrong decision of Mine). Quaker, why should I do all the work and show You all the Respect. Maybe come halfway, something might fix. You contradict Yourself too, You think it's going to Help matters by being rude back? No it won't. I am Passionate about England, it's My Country. I might make a lot of mistakes, but I don't deliberately try and wind People up or cause arguments, I would never do it on purpose. I'm using 1 More Post today after this Post, I'm going to try and use it Positively. Thank You.

Your Right. I haven't shown You Respect, because You haven't shown Me Respect. Maybe, instead of asking Me all the Time to show You Respect, maybe Meet Me halfway and You show Respect to Me, I show Respect to You. I show Respect to those who have shown Respect to Me. To Name a few, I have shown Respect to People like Rob, CAF, Rols, Yoshi, Palette, Davey and even Baron. These People have shown Respect to Me, Helped Me on these Forums and haven't disrespected Me, haven't deliberately tried winding Me up (When some People wind Me up, I fall for it and argue back, wrong decision of Mine). Quaker, why should I do all the work and show You all the Respect. Maybe come halfway, something might fix. You contradict Yourself too, You think it's going to Help matters by being rude back? No it won't. I am Passionate about England, it's My Country. I might make a lot of mistakes, but I don't deliberately try and wind People up or cause arguments, I would never do it on purpose. I'm using 1 More Post today after this Post, I'm going to try and use it Positively. Thank You.

Tony, we have tried to meet you halfway. We have all told you constantly that if you tone it down and hit the reset button, we're willing to give you a fresh start. But this has happened more times than I can count where you've had this type of moment of introspection and maybe it lasts a few days, but then you either give up and/or go back on your word when you say you're going to change.

I know it must be frustrating for a lot of people - and yes, I certainly am no better than most - to poke fun at you, to point out the grammar and spelling errors or other little pet peeves that for anyone else, we probably wouldn't be bothered by. Maybe it's more than you deserve, although this wasn't exactly the most friendly Internet site before you got here. You say all the time you are trying to improve yourself and we do see that in small flashes, but for every time you show that you want to better yourself, there are usually at least 2 times where you revert to bad habits and we end up right where we started. Pretty sure I've said all this to you before, so the cycle continues.

I don't know what's going to help and/or fix things here. In terms of the right of the site, this place is so far gone that I have no hope whatsoever for its recovery. So where that has landed on you more than it should, that's not entirely your fault. At the same time, you don't help the situation with your over-the-top support of England, the constant re-posting of the same points, and harping on things (case in point Lima hosting the IOC session over Helsinki) instead of learning to let it go. You know when you do these things too and every so often you acknowledge that you shouldn't. But that can't be lip service to where you tell us you're going to work on it and then you clearly give up on working on it.

I know you're not deliberately trying to stir up trouble and bad feelings around here. But you do. And you know you do. And you continue to engage in behavior that continues that type of discord here. Tony, I believe you can earn the respect of people here (I know some folks are probably snickering at that suggestion and saying it's not possible). But it has to start with you. I will (again, I won't speak for others) give you that respect back, but it's not going to happen until you understand that this is a community here. Just like when you're with any group of people, you have to share their space and engage with them in a way where you're mindful of them. If you're not, they're not going to be mindful of you. The Internet is not always a friendly place.

One last thing.. you have asked for help and understanding before. Many of us, including those you mentioned plus others, have tried to help you. You have to demonstrate you want to be helped, because a lot of times, you've given off the impression that you don't care what anyone else thinks and continue to act out. That's not going to help your reputation here. If you improve your manner here, it will show and we will notice. If that happens, this can all change.

Archived