2024 Olympic Host To Be Chosen in Lima, Peru

GBModerator

Reporting from the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco – The city of Lima, Peru has been elected to host the 130th IOC Session in 2017.  Lima obtained 54 of the 84 IOC votes cast.  Helsinki, Finland was the only other city on the ballot and won 30 votes. The host city of the 2024 Olympic Games will […]

View the full article

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely they must be fave to host the 2028 Games now, no? ;-)

Not if Durban runs for 2028. I wonder what Lima threw into their bid because for 2016, the IOC will already be meeting in Rio. And then back to Lima for 2017; and then back to BA for the 2018 YOGs. So, not even the prospect of a triple-whammy for Asia (PC 2018; Tokyo 2020 and possible Beijing-J 2022), can match the same-continent-back-to-back gig South America has pulled.

Not if Durban runs for 2028. I wonder what Lima threw into their bid because for 2016, the IOC will already be meeting in Rio. And then back to Lima for 2017; and then back to BA for the 2018 YOGs. So, not even the prospect of a triple-whammy for Asia (PC 2018; Tokyo 2020 and possible Beijing-J 2022), can match the same-continent-back-to-back gig South America has pulled.

Not to mention the 2013 Session in BA where the previous summer host was elected.

Helsinki, Finland should be Hosting the 130th IOC Session. South America has Hosted the 2013 one and will Host the 2016 one.

Glad that South America is not a single country and Buenos Aires and Lima have a world of differences between them, being very unrelated urban and cultural experiences.

Glad that South America is not a single country and Buenos Aires and Lima have a world of differences between them, being very unrelated urban and cultural experiences.

It's called Continental Rotation. Helsinki, Finland should be Hosting the 130th IOC Session and Congress in 2017.

It's called Continental Rotation. Helsinki, Finland should be Hosting the 130th IOC Session and Congress in 2017.

Continental rotation is not a hard and fast rule. There's no requirement to move the IOC session around. Plus it was brought up elsewhere.. we're likely to have at least a candidate or 2 from Europe, probably in competition with a candidate from the United States. So it may be the IOC's thinking to decide the 2024 host in a more neutral location rather than in Europe. As I pointed out in another thread.. since the 1980s, only twice has a European host been selected at an IOC session in a European city, and both of those were in Lausanne. Perhaps this is the IOC's way of not trying to show any favoritism towards Europe.

What should happen and what will happen are very often very different things. Time to move on, Tony, the location of an IOC session surely is one of the lesser reasons to lose sweat.

hey tony i saw the presentation of the candidates in youtube and i saw how lima's presentation is stronger then helsinki because helsinki's presentation only like asking the ioc to come to helsinki but that's it while lima has strong presentation about their experience with the venues capacity and quality as well as peru's vibrant culture so actually no wonder lima win this one....

I'm just saying, South America has Hosted the IOC Session in 2013 and will now Host it in 2016 and 2017. Helsinki, Finland should be Hosting the 130th IOC Session and Congress in 2017.

I'm just saying, South America has Hosted the IOC Session in 2013 and will now Host it in 2016 and 2017. Helsinki, Finland should be Hosting the 130th IOC Session and Congress in 2017.

Jeez Tony. It's just an IOC session. Europe's hosted most of them in the past anyway. Nobody carws, nobody remembers. A city gets more money and exposure and prestige hosting a Rotary Club convention.

Helsinki, Finland should be Hosting the 130th IOC Session. South America has Hosted the 2013 one and will Host the 2016 one.

you-post-such-funny-statuses-please-tell

I'm happy for Lima but I agree it was too soon after Buenos Aires 2013. And we also had the 2007 IOC session on latin american soil (Guatemala). Helsinki should had won, but aw well.

Not use making a scene for it, though. Its just a session anyway. :P

Archived