IOC Unanimously Approves Sweeping Olympic Bid Changes; Multi-Nation Games Allowed

GBModerator

I'm not sure I like the idea of multi-nation Games. What I like about the Olympics is that it all takes place in the same city and that they show the host's culture to the rest of the world. I don't mind it if some sports (football, sailing) have to be moved to other cities in the country, but I certainly wouldn't like to see the Olympics being held in completely unrelated countries like, for example, Italy and Bulgaria (which will be hosting together the European volleyball championship next year), or France-Germany-Croatia-Latvia (EuroBasket 2015).

Dumbest post ever from Tony???

Tough to tell since there are so many to compare it with, but it's probably up there.

England can Host it by ourselves though.

Enlighten us Tony.. where in England can host the Winter Olympics? Where are there mountains to host all the skiing/snowboarding/sliding sports? Don't give us your blind England homerism and say "we can do it" because you say so with no logical reasoning behind it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_at_the_1920_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_12%27_Dinghy, see footnotes 1 and 2 .

P.S. Hong Kong is NOT another country. They may have their own NOC, but for all intents and purposed, they are part of China--even more so than Chinese Taipeh. Uhmmm...recent protests quelled?? So 2008 in my book took place in just ONE country.

So when you say in your book, do you mean that literally? :P:D:lol:B)

I must say that i am splitted in to 2 regarding spreading the games to more than one city/country. At one point i love the idea of it all going on in one city. On the other hand i kan see a lot of potentiel for spreading it out on two. But it shall in my opinion be MAXIUM 1000 km between the cities. If not Maximum 800. And the second city must have at least 40% of the sports. In my opnion it is not a question about letting one other city have a few. It shall be 2 cities that hos many events. I can see many European cities going together.
Amsterdam and Bruxelles
Pragh and Wien
Warzawa and Pragh
Sofia and Bukarest
Stockholm and Helsinki
Copenhagen and Stockholm. (Perhaps only Copenhagen and Malmø) Or Copenhagen and Oslo. Perhaps even a trio, Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. But i think 3 is to much. 2 cities could be ok. As beeing from Denmark i could emagine it held like this with Copenhagen and Stockholm

Stockholm host the following:
Athletic

Basketball

Boxing
Table tennis
Football (both countries)

Hockey

Judo

Gymnastic

Riding
Shooting

Water polo

Taekwondo

Tennis

Triathlon

Copenhagen host the following:
Badminton

Beach Volleyball

Archery

Cyckling track and course

Football (both countries)

Fencing

Golf
Handball
Rowing and Canoing
Sailing

Swimming
Volleyball

Weightlifting

In that way we get the big stadium and indoor arenes splitted up. And i think that the host athletes whom always are born competitors should for that host that have the sport. Handball, Denmark is qualified, because it is in Copenhagen. Basketball, Sweden is qualified, because it is in Stockholm. Athletic Sweden have athletes Automatic qualification, and not Denmark. If you understand my badly written English.

I actually think it could be good in this way. Also the Olympic village will be 2 Places, and there should of course for the athletes and officials be easy transport between the 2 cities (and free) so they still can back up in the other sports and so.

Well, as a conclusion i actually like this idea of 2 host cities. And if there are as in my example many sports in both cities, both cities will feel they are a big part. Of course there can be som discussions som places about whome shall have what and so. But in my view from Denmark, we would much more want the swimming, than the athletics. And the handball over basketball and so on. There are many ways to build up a bid with 2 hosts. So I hope that it good be good in the future and Copenhagen could join a city and bid :)

kindly regards

Hans from Denmark

That's rude. Also, Quaker, 'Your' is a word. Google, is Your a word. It is here in England.

"Your" is a word. But it still needs to be used correctly. And replacing "you're" by "your" NEVER is a correct use.

End of English lesson by a non-native speaker.

That's rude. Also, Quaker, 'Your' is a word. Google, is Your a word. It is here in England.

What Stefan said. The fact that you're (as in "you are") telling me to look at Google tells me not only are an idiot, but you're also an insolent little asshole. I'm sure you're going to cite your learning difficulties here. We all understand, but when something like this happens.. 1) use it as a learning experience and 2) if you're (again, "you are") wrong, you're going to look that much worse if you throw it back at us like that.

See you again tomorrow since it looks like you're done for the day having reached your post limit (there, that's both of them there)

What Stefan said. The fact that you're (as in "you are") telling me to look at Google tells me not only are an idiot, but you're also an insolent little asshole. I'm sure you're going to cite your learning difficulties here. We all understand, but when something like this happens.. 1) use it as a learning experience and 2) if you're (again, "you are") wrong, you're going to look that much worse if you throw it back at us like that.

See you again tomorrow since it looks like you're done for the day having reached your post limit (there, that's both of them there)

:D

Shoe and Shoelace...one is meaningless without the other!

Regarding Hamburg and Copenhagen it could be a nice bid also. But i do think that Hamburg or Berlin is big enough alone, and cant see why they would join another city. But perhaps yes. As long as we get, Swimming, Badminton, handball, Sailing, cycling, and then 5-6 other, if it is Basket or volley, fencing og Judo or whatever does not mean that much to mee. And football in both countries perhaps. Or perhaps women in Denmark, and men in germany. But that are just my wish. But Again, I don´t think Hamburg would want any other city in there plans.

I think opening up flexibility works in terms of maintaining the viability of more expensive sports. In theory, if Melbourne or Brisbane were to bid I think it would be completely wise to use Penrith Lakes in Sydney (2000 white water venue) for slalom instead of building a new, immensely expensive venue.

I think opening up flexibility works in terms of maintaining the viability of more expensive sports. In theory, if Melbourne or Brisbane were to bid I think it would be completely wise to use Penrith Lakes in Sydney (2000 white water venue) for slalom instead of building a new, immensely expensive venue.

This may be a dumb question, but as someone who kayaks, why do hosts keep building new venues for the kayak/canoe events instead of using a real river? Does the federation demand it? Is this a European thing where using a natural river for sport would be viewed as unsophisticated and ungentlemanly?

To me the inflexibility on sports is the most infuriating. IE sticking Greece with a useless baseball stadium while refusing to let American, Mexican, Japanese and South Korean host cities use baseball when it would actually make money for them. Or the Rio golf course debacle. And then wasting tons of money on a kayaking course instead of using a natural river. Spending tons of money on security costs more, but it's understandable that hosts might end up overpaying to keep people safe.

This may be a dumb question, but as someone who kayaks, why do hosts keep building new venues for the kayak/canoe events instead of using a real river? Does the federation demand it? Is this a European thing where using a natural river for sport would be viewed as unsophisticated and ungentlemanly?

To me the inflexibility on sports is the most infuriating. IE sticking Greece with a useless baseball stadium while refusing to let American, Mexican, Japanese and South Korean host cities use baseball when it would actually make money for them. Or the Rio golf course debacle. And then wasting tons of money on a kayaking course instead of using a natural river. Spending tons of money on security costs more, but it's understandable that hosts might end up overpaying to keep people safe.

I guess an artificial track can provide fairer (and safer?) conditions for all participants.

Rome had their rowing in Lake Albano. When it was LA 1984, it was at Lake Casitas outside Santa Barbara. For Atlanta 1996, it was at Lake Lanier. Barcelona was at Banyoles. Sydney's was at Penrith Lakes. SF 2016's rowing course was to be at the Briones Reservoir where the Cal rowing team practices (and where the 2024 plans might still be situated). Chicago 2016's planned rowing course was right there by the Lake Michigan shoreline by downtown Chicago. Some hosts like Seoul, Athens and Beijing chose to create man-made rowing courses. It's the white water-rafting course that is the more expensive one.

But the main criterion for the rowing courses is calm water. I remember for Lake Casitas 1984, they held the races starting at 8:00am until around 10:30am before the winds became too crazy starting at about 10:30. .

I still don't understand why you all keep responding to Tony. It's like you thrive off his responses. Do you really need to give him an English lesson? He'll never learn. Just ignore it and it will shutup. Yes Tony i'm calling you an it, and don't bother responding cause I have you blocked.

If You have blocked Me, why keep responding to this situation. I'm a Person, not an it.

Anyway.

I don't think having events outside the host country is a problem if they are within a reasonable distance. Which is the best option: a) new venue with little use, B) existing venue outside the host country less than 100km from the host city, or c) existing venue in the host country over 500km from the host city? I think it's the option b.

Have to ask about what they mean with allowing events in the host country ouside the host city? Already some events like sailing or ski sports take place outside the host city.

Regardin Hamburg and Copenhagen, there has today been a confirmation from the Copenhagen Major, that he has spoken with the major of Hamburg about letting som of the events in a Hamburg bid be in Copenhagen (But just small talk for now), there has in Danish media been mentioned mostly sailing and handball, but also swimming and cycling has been mentioned. Personally i think that a second city should have a bit more to become a real part of a games. But I will also say that badminton would be perfect for Denmark. And personally i think we should need at lest 2-4 more sports to really become a part of it. It could perhaps bee rowing and equestrian, or smaller events like wrestling or boxing or something that needs a smaller arena.

But Again, i cant see why Germany would want to go out of there own country. But why not combine both Berlin and Hamburg? Could that end up as a possibility? That Germany wants to make a joind bid, instead of picking between them? What do you think?

But Again, i cant see why Germany would want to go out of there own country. But why not combine both Berlin and Hamburg? Could that end up as a possibility? That Germany wants to make a joind bid, instead of picking between them? What do you think?

Berlin and Hamburg are an almost 3hr drive away, so no that's not a more ideal situation. I'm sure Hamburg has other options besides Berlin to have a bid but keep it all within the same country.

Honestly the only event I think that would be necessary to possibly host in another country is sailing. There are waters near Hamburg for sailing, but the question is who owns what there? Water boarders there aren't exactly clear as Denmark, Germany or the Netherlands can lay claim to them.

Berlin and Hamburg are an almost 3hr drive away, so no that's not a more ideal situation. I'm sure Hamburg has other options besides Berlin to have a bid but keep it all within the same country.

Honestly the only event I think that would be necessary to possibly host in another country is sailing. There are waters near Hamburg for sailing, but the question is who owns what there? Water boarders there aren't exactly clear as Denmark, Germany or the Netherlands can lay claim to them.

Any German bid would include sailing options on the Baltic coast, i.e. Kiel (as in 72), Lübeck-Travemünde or Rostock-Warnemünde. Olympic sailing races are not really cross-ocean races, they certainly would stay within German sea borders without any problem.

Yes I totally agree with you, Germany don´t need to get out of there country. But still, in Danish media these Things has been mentioned yesterday, and it also sounds like that it is the major of Hamburg that contacted the Copenhagen major and had had a few talks about it. But perhaps it is just som spin to see how the Danish people react on it.

Archived