NZ closes the gap!

artemis away again.

it's artemis.

nz nabs 5 an 6, almost gave 6 away in last leg but held on. one more tomorrow and it's NZ challenging team usa

never give up artemis....tomorrows another opportunity.

Edited by paul

Watched some of the coverage today and I was just wondering if the spirit of princess Diana isn't watching over the proceedings>  Why??

ARTEMIS is an anagram of EMIRATES (except for an extra "E" of Emirates).  What are the chances of that coincidence happening?

And "Artemis" of course, is the Greek name for Diana, whose last boyfriend was an Arab boy (Dodie, hence Emirates)!! 

And then, of course, the ORACLE of Delphi has the answer to everything!  So . . . . . 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Watched some of the coverage today and I was just wondering if the spirit of princess Diana isn't watching over the proceedings>  Why??

ARTEMIS is an anagram of EMIRATES (except for an extra "E" of Emirates).  What are the chances of that coincidence happening?

And "Artemis" of course, is the Greek name for Diana, whose last boyfriend was an Arab boy (Dodie, hence Emirates)!! 

And then, of course, the ORACLE of Delphi has the answer to everything!  So . . . . . 

:lol: What have you been smoking Mister!!!B)

Anyways...

Sweden will have to dig deep tomorrow...They have done it before...

Just a quick wrap up...

Don't hold out much for Team NZ lifting the America's Cup.

Russell Coutts is obsessed with it staying in Oracle's hands. He has the fire power of a billionaire's wallet and an excellent design team based in Auckland.

...Oh, and an obnoxiously funny skipper in James Spithall...who knows how the wind up and get under the skin of Team NZ.

....here's a doc about the 2010 Oracle team and their 90ft monster. lots of Coutts and Jimmy Spithill stuff in there.

gorgeous shots, and great music, amazing passion and technology.

• Like 1

......almost time for the start of it all....the rematch...oracle vs NZ.

....meanwhile.....file under "most beautiful thing ever"...the the winner of the J class superyacht regatta....Linoheart.

UazMEPJDTAWUw5t7Xl3E_Lionheart-J-class-s

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

The J Class were such beautiful boats from another time. In the last thirty years they have been dug out of swamps, pulled out of museums and lovingly restored by cashed up internet billionaires.

19146012_1782072931819132_24692331528536

Sadly a modern (well a 1988 version) J Class sits on a plinth at Viaduct Habour in Auckland as a folly. It was used in the Dead of Gift challenge that year and faced off against - a catamaran... 

Edited by Alexjc
addition

Team New Zealand take a "natural" 1-0 lead in America's Cup 35 after winning both races on Day 1. Oracle had a one point advantage as they finished the round robin series on top and carried over a point.

19274889_1782272005132558_63130314637503

19149108_1782274765132282_57848170093264

19145753_1782273288465763_73727777347542

...massive day for team NZ. way ahead all day....final lap bobble meant nothing with such a huge lead. race 2 usa gaining fell bad off foil..it was NZ day to take it all.

don't forget 13....oracle made huge improvements to their boat w/each race....amazing teams.

• Like 1

<_< Definitly NOT getting my hopes up until the end...Four races per weekend for the next three or four weeks yet...Nope, early days yet. 

Oracle WILL have something up their sleeves... That's what the five day rest periods are for. AC racing is all about mental Psy-ops.:mellow:

:) 

One each today for Races 5 & 6.

Race five looked to be a set up for another two ETNZ drag races with Oracle screwing up the start and making silly mistakes...Team NZ punishing them accordingly...

Race six was completely the opposite. Oracle wining the start and promptly knobbling Team NZ with some brilliant match racing...When ETNZ gained the lead, Oracle cashed in on ETNZs errors as they seemed to not handle the tight racing as well as Oracle. But overall it was Oracle that had luck on their side. They read a wind shift better and took advantage.

Race seven and eight tomorrow with similar conditions although forecasts do say dying breezes...to the point of no racing.

At least we have got another week of racing to go.

race 6 was unexpected at this point, getting bummed being so far back all the time....not so exciting. but NZ is sailing awesome, cool team and boat, would be fun to go to New Zealand. But I'd like to see this stretch out to a more even score before anybody wins. I am American after all. :]

well-****! was hoping the US would pull out one of the races today but I gotta say it's also cool seeing an amazing NZ team dominating like this. I will never say I give up till that next race is won but I won't be sad to see NZ win it with the performance we are seeing. I do wish we were seeing some more nail biting racing after all it's taken to get here....but you never know what can happen. Last time I think we saw maybe the greatest comeback in the history of sports.......are they just trying to top that?! HA.......whatever happens it's a fantastic event.

• Like 1

:o Match Point for Team New Zealand....But, we have been here before.

Oracle Team USA may be down...But they are not out - All they have to do is win every one of their races left available to them...History says they have done it before...

:D:D:D

The America's Cup is - once again - New Zealand's Cup!!!!!

Fourteen years since NZ lost the cup to  Switzerland and three challenges to win it back, we got there in the end.

Got a feeling that NOTHING will get done at work anywhere today....:lol:

Yes Mr Ashby...It's over, you and your team did it!

Edited by Alexjc
  • Like 1

Congratulation Team NZ! Still wish we had seen a stronger performance from the O team but this win by NZ is great for the Americas Cup overal and amazing for the team that dominated.

Edited by paul
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, paul said:

Congratulation Team NZ! Still wish we had seen a stronger performance from the O team but this win by NZ is great for the Americas Cup overal and amazing for the team that dominated.

True. :huh: All thanks to a simple but logical form of human strength - Leg Power! 

How many people laughed at having Olympic cyclists pedaling all the hydraulics up into those controls?

"Cyclordrolics" is now a word!B)

Still, it does feel like a massive demon has been lifted from what is still considered the 2013 Disaster. 

Surprisingly the day isn't as "party" as the first win in 1995 was (yes, I'm that old). It's just past midday here in NZ and already the victory has been moved to the sports section of the news hour bulletins and Rugby has taken over again.

Still -

Large_LunaRossa180513Upload1731.JPG

Luna Rossa Team Prada of Italy is confirmed Challenger Of Record!!!:) It was always going to be! The wonderful working relationship both it and Team NZ have, go all the way back to 2000. A very popular team and they were equally guttered at ETNZ's failed 2013 bid. They stepped aside for this challenge and devoted funding to Team NZ.

Great to have Luna Rossa back.

Already other challengers are coming in from USA, Sweden, France, Spain, UK and Japan...Also a possible Australian bid.

Far more affordable this time round ALTHOUGH foiling Monohulls - even faster and scarier that the cats are being looked at.

Edited by Alexjc
updated

To squash all rumors of the Cup going elsewhere (ie Dubai) now ... Auckland will be the host of the Challenger series and Cup finals.

There will be series events though, Dubai, Italy and Bermuda are in the mix. 

• 2 weeks later...

A quick picture round up of the 35th America's Cup...A watershed event. 

Although a lovely spot, Bermuda was an ill thought venue. This was a failed attempt to create a Formula 1 like series that was always the brainchild of Russell Coutts (I refuse to title him Sir, he doesn't deserve it). 

One positive is the just under two month time frame. These wind powered "hydroplanes" really did leave you on a high since a two hour drag became little more than a twenty minute sprint. EXPECT the return of the "Nationality" rule. Yes you can have "foreign hired guns" on your boat, but they will be a minority.

There are plans to go to an even scarier monofoil design that would allow for proper match racing but thanks to Team NZ introducing Cyclorgrinding, we could see the AC50 stay.

There are also plans for 2021 to return the Americas Cup it's "Dignity". The Royal NZ Yacht Squadron have plans to create a return to tradition and with help from the NZ Govt, recreate the global but accessible "prestige" brand it was back in 2007 when Spain hosted it. NZ hosts APEC in the same year and means a visit from China, US and Russian presidents, whoever they may be. 

Already the Govt wants to accelerate the massive infrastructure transport program that is seeing the underground railway beneath the Auckland CBD be finished in time as well as pushing Auckland Airport along with a new runway and better connectivity, which, as Aucklanders know, is bloody atrocious!