Eighth Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Contest **Official thread/Fil officiel**

I think as long as you do something to it, as in put it into an environment or dosomething drastic to change the design and make it unique the clip art is ok, thats what Rols said he did in with an elephant clip art in his CWG logo a while back, IIRC. If it is just a copy paste, maybe change the colours and slap the rings on it, then it doesn't really show any design vision, its actually just using someone else's vision. At least that's my opinion.

Yeah that's what i'm trying to do. I'll post the lame paint one i did myself compared to the stencil which i've filled in with color. It's gonna take me a while.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, my first logo here for a long long time.

qbso.jpg

It's the soaring elephant of Nigeria, in the rainbow colours to signify Nigeria's tolerance and national diversity.

A disclaimer before I get hauled to the copyright police - both the elephants and the flagpole are clip art.

This is the example, it has obviously been changed and is a new design, if you get what I'm trying to say.

if you get what I'm trying to say.

no, no one does. you can't use clip art unless you change more than the color, but if you change the color and put the clip art in a circle, that's ok?

i know this is where you think you have to post a big paragraph explaining what you meant, but you don't because nobody cares what you think. it's just funny watching you backpeddle.

no, no one does. you can't use clip art unless you change more than the color, but if you change the color and put the clip art in a circle, that's ok?

Yeah, because that shows that you have thought of a design and created that design, so it is your own work/vision. It is that simple!

it's just funny watching you backpeddle.

... and back-pedalling? This was my stance from the beginning so...

I don't think you should expect much support should you do so. I think most here object to your use of clip art.

... and I also see this as evidence of your ability to hue shift, given how this mock logo employs the exact same gradients as the Chicago 2016 bid logo it is based on, so I'm not buying your "reconstruction" story as to how you created your Tokyo logo.

Um the Anchorage one you have posted was not my real logo, it was a joke.

Ah, of course. I can see it in your sig. Funny, I think the original pic link may have gone. Didn't spot it in my grind through the thread yesterday.

See, that's why it's good to get all that sorted before the business end if the comp kicks off.

Rols, why wasn't my Anchorage one included?

I think as long as you do something to it, as in put it into an environment or dosomething drastic to change the design and make it unique the clip art is ok, thats what Rols said he did in with an elephant clip art in his CWG logo a while back, IIRC. If it is just a copy paste, maybe change the colours and slap the rings on it, then it doesn't really show any design vision, its actually just using someone else's vision. At least that's my opinion.

I disagree to an extent, if you have an idea and vision for a logo but can not execute it properly on your own then would taking clip art, changing the colors, and slapping the rings on it be considered wrong? You are using clip art to execute a design vision.

i realise that, if you read what i wrote underneath you'll see why i linked it.

It was still meant as a jab and meant to try and say that I illegally used clip art to make the Tokyo logo. Which for the record I did reconstruct, but I will be submitting my first Tokyo design sense the one I posted stirred up so much ****.

It was still meant as a jab and meant to try and say that I illegally used clip art to make the Tokyo logo. Which for the record I did reconstruct...

I was saying that I didn't believe your reconstruction story and that I believe you have the ability to hue shift or whatever. I was just pointing it out as the way you came about creating it definitely could affect peoples decisions on its legality.

What do you mean? It's on my finalists template, which I haven't posted up yet.

Which one was that?

Oh, I'm sorry Rols.

I have not posted the one I am softening up right now.

I was saying that I didn't believe your reconstruction story and that I believe you have the ability to hue shift or whatever. I was just pointing it out as the way you came about creating it definitely could affect peoples decisions on its legality.

Anyone with access to basic photoshoping services can adjust the hue. It's mute, I'm posting a new logo.

I have made two new Tokyo logos, each with a similar style and meaning. However need help in picking which one to submit because I honestly don't know, I think they both look nice.

The meaning behind the first logo is that the doves of peace are flying over Mt. Fuji as the sun rises on Tokyo 2020. The meaning behind the second one is that the Olympic Rings fall across Mt. Fuji as the sun rises on Tokyo 2020 and the doves of peace fly over Japan (Dove on Japan circle).

Personally, I'm liking the first more so Rols use that one as my offical entry unless I post a comment here stating otherwise.

So here they are:

1. 2r4nz0i.png

2. 1494cpt.png

Okie, I'm about all wrapped up with my logos. I should have the final versions posted up in thirty minutes time ^.^

I have made two new Tokyo logos, each with a similar style and meaning. However need help in picking which one to submit because I honestly don't know, I think they both look nice.

I like the second one :3

Okie, I'm about all wrapped up with my logos. I should have the final versions posted up in thirty minutes time ^.^

I like the second one :3

Like I said, I think they are both nice. Most of the people I have talked to like the first one...I'm so indecisive. The second one is definitively more simplistic and not so busy.

I'm almost wrapped up with my logos too, I just need to post my Barcelona one.

Here!

714ICcf.png

rgUNZNW.pnglXZh2G3.pngw66oTZU.pngR3OKOIN.pngE5N2mWd.pnglzZkFS4.png

Notes:

• Barcelona - the 4 things in the middle are used to represent the Sagrada Familia. Overall, the logo represents the freedom and beauty Barcelona's famed beaches. The orange-ish part represents a sunset)
  • Salzburg - the logo represents the classical-like architecture that defines Salzburg's culture. the colorful part is suppose to represent the freedom of nature (specifically snow)

Old stuff!

LPKWv2f.png

SVzbRTq.png

3LZkqfl.png

Here is my Barcelona logo. It is edgy mountains with a modern mosaic overlay all brought together to resemble the Sagrada Familia.

2re0htx.png

Here!

714ICcf.png

rgUNZNW.pnglXZh2G3.pngw66oTZU.pngR3OKOIN.pngE5N2mWd.pnglzZkFS4.png

Notes:

• Barcelona - the 4 things in the middle are used to represent the Sagrada Familia. Overall, the logo represents the freedom and beauty Barcelona's famed beaches. The orange-ish part represents a sunset)
  • Salzburg - the logo represents the classical-like architecture that defines Salzburg's culture. the colorful part is suppose to represent the freedom of nature (specifically snow)

Old stuff!

LPKWv2f.png

SVzbRTq.png

3LZkqfl.png

Is that Tokyo logo your official one?

Archived