Eighth Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Contest **Official thread/Fil officiel**

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JPpp3uL.jpg

The five-petal flower found in the logo was inspired from the city flag and flower, the Lilac. Each of the petals offer a wavy pattern used to emphasize a component of Harbin (and traditional Chinese ink art*). The largest petal shows the stripes of a tiger, a common symbol of Harbin. Moving clockwise, the next petal's patterns represents the skyline of Harbin's famed carved ice city. Next, shows the clashing of two directions. This represents the architectural harmony of Harbin's mix of European and Chinese style of buildings. Continuing clockwise, you will find the S of a skier's path. Next shows a chain of mountains, the ones found in and near Harbin.

*may not be an accurate representation

Just been collating all the entries together.

There's some real gems in there actually I hadn't even noticed much before - or maybe it's when you start seeing them all together some some really start to stand out. But, yeah, impressed. And some good humour ones too.

At this stage, there's (approximately) 32 or so entries in the winter section. A record, I think. Herr Bach is very happy to see the big field. At this stage, barrack's the only one with a Barcelona entry, so unless someone gives him some competition, he's got that spot locked up (and, I was thinking with Darcy's "A" logo - if he just changed that to a "B", it'd work just as well :)).

Tokyo's on about 16-ish, again, some to be clarified (see below). And hoping for some really good tail-end surprises. Woohooitsme's had an impressive late burst... and he's still got a summer city untouched. I'm still hoping aismanggo fulfils his Tokyo promise. And Rob. - is the Japanese menu agreeing with you or will you pass?

A few housekeeping things as we approach the end:

Anchorage:

@ Olympic Fan Darcy - see above. Also, I'm just assuming that IS Anchorage. I'm not totally sure though.

@ Usa2024Olympics - If you could just clarify before the end just which anchorage logo you're finalising with. And post it up here, I won't sure which was the latest you were using when I looked at the pinterest links.

@ woohooitsme83 - which one are you going with? the original anchorage one, or the flouro/fuzzy one?

Salzburg:

@ barrack - are you going with the b/w or the one with the colour?

Tokyo

Okay, I know some of you entered in the spirit of fun, but Bach insists we accept anything and everything to keep the numbers looking good. In which case:

@ Olympic Fan Darcy - Blinky or kindie?

@ baron-pierreIV - Magic Kingdom or big toe?

@ thatsnotmypuppy - Pikachu or sushi?

Not sure what you meant by blinkie or kindie? Also my Tokyo entry was legit but i didn't expect votes. :lol:

Here's my Anchorage Barcelona entry.

anc_zps768cb822.png

Conveniently enough the mountains also reveal a striking similarity to Antoni Guardi's unfinished masterpiece the Sagrada Familia which is one of Barcelona's many landmarks.

Barcelona-Gaudi-Sagradafamiliaunderconst

Now how much of a pretentious dick did I just sound? :DB)

Not sure what you meant by blinkie or kindie? Also my Tokyo entry was legit but i didn't expect votes. :lol:

Ah, you may not remember, but you've submitted two Tokyo logos. Go back and check! ;)

Conveniently enough the mountains also reveal a striking similarity to Antoni Guardi's unfinished masterpiece the Sagrada Familia which is one of Barcelona's many landmarks.

Or is it Borjomi??? :P

1JAr4BD.jpg

I had trouble thinking up a logo for Tokyo so I copied one off from Google attempted to create something more modern (thanks for the inspiration Palette!). The gray portion is meant to look like Mt. Fuji (or an upside-down Ginkgo Leaf if you'd like [it's very vague though]) standing in front of a sun (Japan = Land of the rising sun iirc) shaped somewhat like a cherry blossom. As for the rest of the chaos, the paint splatters could represent uniqueness/individuality/diversity or an explosion of fireworks (I believe Tokyo is famed for their August fireworks) or an explosion of music/creativity (Summer Festival?) or beauty or love or just flat out "fun". Also, if you look very closely at the Olympic rings you'll notice the middle-upper one's empty space may look like this! (a common symbol of Tokyo) :P

twvKVI1.png

Borjomi's logo is a bit simple but simplicity has it's beauty too I suppose ^.^

The O-like shape is suppose to be a simplistic/artistic impression of ბ (the first letter of Borjomi in Georgian ბორჯომი)

Inside the O is a tree, much like the one found on the city's flag. The pattern above the tree represents a sunrise over the valley. the thing underneath the O can be viewed as a bridge (as Georgia is situated in the crossroads between Asia and Europe) or a representation of the Valley Borjormi is situated in.

Here's a more simple version of the logo:

foJJoEX.png

I'm not sure which version to go with for Borjomi.

I'm also not sure as to whether I should implement the waviness (minus the blurriness) of the Anchorage oil version into the official one.

Oh and the paint splatter for Tokyo can also represent nature's chaos/messiness in general :D hehe

gm1Mhur.png

AgP7Mev.png

This variation could also symbolize diversity (including terrain, seasons, weather, etc) and hope reflected by warm, Australian colors. It can also represent a sunset, but that doesn't sound as cool.

Imitating the jagged mountain skyline and the unique patterns of a snowflake and crystals, Melbourne's logo features a touch of sharp, modern accents into a colorful, recognizable box with an M (for Melbourne) stylized into a heart in the center of it. The logo hints of the digital age with a speech icon symbolizing forward movement, technology, inter-connectivity, and the future. The logo was inspired by the overall modernness of Melbourne from it's architecture, to logo's, and even it's connectivity via social networking.

I'm not sure as to which version I want to submit. The blue-themed one or the more colorful version?

gm1Mhur.png

AgP7Mev.png

This variation could also symbolize diversity (including terrain, seasons, weather, etc) and hope reflected by warm, Australian colors. It can also represent a sunset, but that doesn't sound as cool.

Imitating the jagged mountain skyline and the unique patterns of a snowflake and crystals, Melbourne's logo features a touch of sharp, modern accents into a colorful, recognizable box with an M (for Melbourne) stylized into a heart in the center of it. The logo hints of the digital age with a speech icon symbolizing forward movement, technology, inter-connectivity, and the future. The logo was inspired by the overall modernness of Melbourne from it's architecture, to logo's, and even it's connectivity via social networking.

I'm not sure as to which version I want to submit. The blue-themed one or the more colorful version?

I would say the blue one because it makes more of a winter appeal.

Role. I submitted a Barcelona logo couple weeks ago.

Ah, of course. I can see it in your sig. Funny, I think the original pic link may have gone. Didn't spot it in my grind through the thread yesterday.

See, that's why it's good to get all that sorted before the business end if the comp kicks off.

Quick question to people have an issue with using say a stencil. I wanted to try by best to draw a koala (spoiler) but free hand on paint sucks and i didn't want to get someone else's help.

I think as long as you do something to it, as in put it into an environment or dosomething drastic to change the design and make it unique the clip art is ok, thats what Rols said he did in with an elephant clip art in his CWG logo a while back, IIRC. If it is just a copy paste, maybe change the colours and slap the rings on it, then it doesn't really show any design vision, its actually just using someone else's vision. At least that's my opinion.

Archived