Eighth Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Contest **Official thread/Fil officiel**

After pondering, I've decided to keep the black diamonds. Even though Austria uses orange for difficult slopes, it seems it's mostly meant for unmaintained slopes, as other parts of the world still use black to mean difficult. Also, I'm lazy. If you want, you can think of them as two hills in the night, made alive, by the sound of music, "reflected" in a lake or something. I dunno.

I tried playing with it without the diamonds, and it just looked like London's bid logo and it lost a lot of the solidness that I wanted to maintain.

At any rate, I did figure a way to add a little color. Consider this my final update for my Salzburg 2022 submission. It looks like I'm stuck in this hotel for another few days, so I'll try to find something for Borjomi and Melbourne. :-p

dQM0di3.png

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darcy stop acting like a total noob.

Every single one of these logo contests goes through this process prior to the vote. Every single time. At the end of the day we all vote for our favourites but helll yeah we'll tear them to shreds before hand. It is tradition!

This is my 4th one now an I would say this year is a lot worse then past. Perhaps it's because of Baron picking on nearly every design posted but I stand by what I said. There's subtle jabs and a bit of harmless fun but if people take it to heart then perhaps wind it back..

After pondering, I've decided to keep the black diamonds. Even though Austria uses orange for difficult slopes, it seems it's mostly meant for unmaintained slopes, as other parts of the world still use black to mean difficult. Also, I'm lazy. If you want, you can think of them as two hills in the night, made alive, by the sound of music, "reflected" in a lake or something. I dunno.

I tried playing with it without the diamonds, and it just looked like London's bid logo and it lost a lot of the solidness that I wanted to maintain.

At any rate, I did figure a way to add a little color. Consider this my final update for my Salzburg 2022 submission. It looks like I'm stuck in this hotel for another few days, so I'll try to find something for Borjomi and Melbourne. :-p

dQM0di3.png

Change this to Melbourne and you are onto something!

My entries:

Tokyo 2020 - The Portal

My Tokyo entry is based on the medieval Japanese portals and archtecture and in the traditional Japanese paitings.

The shape with curves brings the sense of motion to the human figure celebrating victory. The rising sun is also present, the most recognizable Japanese icon.

t2020_zps2ee78eff.jpg

Anchorage 2022 - The Borealis Star

A very recognizable symbol of Alaska, the Mount McKinley, is the main piece of this logo.

The Aurora Borealis made of flags give the shape of the famous landscape, also reaching to the top, where the Northern Star with gold colors represents the goal of the victory, the glory.

I tried to bring a bit of the sea/fishing/port life to the font, since fishing is a major activity to the Nothern US state.
a2022_zps28baa9d1.jpg

Both typing fonts were designed by me.

My entries:

Tokyo 2020 - The Portal

My Tokyo entry is based on the medieval Japanese portals and archtecture and in the traditional Japanese paitings.

The shape with curves brings the sense of motion to the human figure celebrating victory. The rising sun is also present, the most recognizable Japanese icon.

t2020_zps2ee78eff.jpg

A very recognizable symbol of Alaska, the Mount McKinley, is the main piece of this logo.

The Aurora Borealis made of flags give the shape of the famous landscape, also reaching to the top, where the Northern Star with gold colors represents the goal of the victory, the glory.

I tried to bring a bit of the sea/fishing/port life to the font, since fishing is a major activity to the Nothern US state.

a2022_zps28baa9d1.jpg

Your Tokyo looks great, and I love the symbolism behind your Anchorage logo.

My entries:

Tokyo 2020 - The Portal

t2020_zps2ee78eff.jpg

a2022_zps28baa9d1.jpg

Your anchorage logo looks amazing, I like how you incorporated so many things, I don't know if it was on purpose but the paths kind of make the shape of a mountain.

Sorry to do this but is this appropriate use of clip art?

No, and nor is bernham's bird in my book. They're not their designs. Slapping the Olympic rings on an unchanged piece of work that isn't your own isn't design and isn't fair on other entrants. Hmm...

No, and nor is barrack's bird in my book. They're not their designs. Slapping the Olympic rings on an unchanged piece of work that isn't your own isn't design and isn't fair on other entrants. Hmm...

I think you mean Bernham's but I would have to agree. Bernham's was slightly different yet that design looks like a simple copy and paste.

No, and nor is barrack's bird in my book. They're not their designs. Slapping the Olympic rings on an unchanged piece of work that isn't your own isn't design and isn't fair on other entrants. Hmm...

Just to clarify, not my bird.

Beat me to it.

No, and nor is bernham's bird in my book. They're not their designs. Slapping the Olympic rings on an unchanged piece of work that isn't your own isn't design and isn't fair on other entrants. Hmm...

I changed mine up, but I did use similar images to put the shapes in the right places, but Scotguy just copied one of those ribbon logos and then took the bottom half of Tokyo's current logo and put them together.

Funny that he was the one who called me out claiming plagiarism. Pot and Kettle no?

I changed mine up, but I did use similar images to put the shapes in the right places, but Scotguy just copied one of those ribbon logos and then took the bottom half of Tokyo's current logo and put them together.

I don't know how much you changed it because I managed to find this...

15979855811_4f42ea8810.jpgFree_Colorful_Origami_Birds_PNG_Icons3 by NZLGamesBids, on Flickr

http://www.designrazzi.com/origami-birds-png-icons/-scroll down a bit

It has the same gradient and everything, just in a different colour, which may be on the web somewhere else.

... and same shape.

ok, so here is my official entry for this competition.

It is a simple design, depicting an athlete in motion. The colour red symbolises the host nation of Japan and the figure is also shaped as a T for Tokyo, host city. It is in a brushstroke style to symbolise Japanese art. It also pays homage to older styles of Olympic logos. A simple, yet effective logo for Tokyo's games.

t20.png

I don't know how much you changed it because I managed to find this...

15979855811_4f42ea8810.jpgFree_Colorful_Origami_Birds_PNG_Icons3 by NZLGamesBids, on Flickr

http://www.designrazzi.com/origami-birds-png-icons/-scroll down a bit

It has the same gradient and everything, just in a different colour, which may be on the web somewhere else.

... and same shape.

Exactly, I used this image to make mine. And no I did not copy a red one from the internet, to my knowledge no such one exists. My red is taken from the flag of Japan.

It is very easy to make a similar bird, you using the snipping tool on pixlr to make triangles then after you make the shape you can color it in with a gradient. Having made them in different layers you then assemble them into any shape. In this case I assembled them into the same shape seen in that picture and another picture I posted a few pages back.

My bird may be a damn near copy, but I'm not going to copy and paste someones work.

Archived