Eighth Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Contest **Official thread/Fil officiel**

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vo5vfOj.png

My Submission for Salzburg 2022 is "The Black Diamond."

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but when I think Austrian, I think minimalism. So that was the approach I took... to the extreme.

The letter "S" is contained inside a diamond shape, which itself is a reference to the sport of Alpine Skiing. It's also an optical illusion, because why not.

I also wanted to toss in a nod to the city's cultural heritage, so I made the diamond/S with a music staff. It could also be a design element for the games over all.

/\/\ Too cold, barrack. No warmth. Plus, it could become an SS symbol (since Austria was a Nazi sympathizing country), so... in reality, too risky.

You have a point, but his Santiago logo has a much closser resemblance to the SS S then his Salzburg. But I agree that it has too much black, maybe make each line a different Olympic color so it is making the music of the games.

I'm not sure how to quote on the mobile site, but yes, I can agree with all your points. I actually almost did a double "s", which is when I realized its implications. I actually went for an "s" diamond that looked less nazi, but I guess that's hard because any angular "s" will elude to it.

I did do an Olympic colors version, but it took away from the black diamond/music staff look.

I'll tweak it some more to see how I can address both points.

Updated! Now it's a double black diamond, interlocked to form an "S" which is also a music staff. I added measures to the staff to make it a little more obvious, plus a little flair.

iEPbzTM.png

Here's a version with the colors. I'll only link to it, because I like the all black one better. Colors kinda kill the optical illusion, as you're able to see which line is on top of the other.

I still have to question that? What is a "black diamond" for Salzburg, Austria? They are a winter country...NOT a diamond mining country like South Africa or...Australia. So, clever as that design it, it conveys absolutely nothing to me about it being a winter festival of sport. Sorry, barrack.

What does this have to do with London 2012?

london2012_logo_zpsec88628f.jpg

Updated! Now it's a double black diamond, interlocked to form an "S" which is also a music staff. I added measures to the staff to make it a little more obvious, plus a little flair.

iEPbzTM.png

Here's a version with the colors. I'll only link to it, because I like the all black one better. Colors kinda kill the optical illusion, as you're able to see which line is on top of the other.

Looks like a map of Australia - and like the old BHP logo...

8Y6Y7re.jpg

Oh. I thought the ski slope difficulty symbols were universal. I've only ever been skiing in the States. How do they do the ratings in Europe?

Oh. I thought the ski slope difficulty symbols were universal. I've only ever been skiing in the States. How do they do the ratings in Europe?

Barron, black ski trails mean difficult......diamond and double blk diamond are symbols of higher difficulty assigned to black runs.....maybe more in NA than Austria however.

Much much more in NA-

Just colours, according to Wikipedia.

This contest actually sucks now. Not because of Rols, he's as hilarious as ever. But the amount of people bashing others designs is beyond ridiculous. Shutup! If you don't like it or think it's a bit too similar to something else then don't vote for it.

Honestly the amount of rude comments I've seen is enough to deter anyone away from this contest.

This contest actually sucks now. Not because of Rols, he's as hilarious as ever. But the amount of people bashing others designs is beyond ridiculous. Shutup! If you don't like it or think it's a bit too similar to something else then don't vote for it.

Honestly the amount of rude comments I've seen is enough to deter anyone away from this contest.

Exactly like I want to say. No logo is 100% criticism-free but the wave of criticism like this may make less people submit ideas in the next competition

Darcy stop acting like a total noob.

Every single one of these logo contests goes through this process prior to the vote. Every single time. At the end of the day we all vote for our favourites but helll yeah we'll tear them to shreds before hand. It is tradition!

Darcy stop acting like a total noob.

Every single one of these logo contests goes through this process prior to the vote. Every single time. At the end of the day we all vote for our favourites but helll yeah we'll tear them to shreds before hand. It is tradition!

Umm... Tradition? :unsure:

Archived