Eighth Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Contest

It's almost December, the festive season is ahead, we have a new (non-Olympic) year to look forward to, and it's time to set our creative juices flowing. So...

It's my pleasure to officially launch the Eighth Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo competition!

Members are again invited to design either a Summer or a Winter Games logo, or both!

I've had this year’s contending cities in mind almost since the close of our last comp. Admittedly this is Rols usual job but the procrastinating cock teasing has exhausted us all.

First, Winter 2030.

In the fine tradition of Central Asian stupidity I have opted to nominate one of the most out there bid cities of recent years. A totally left field option, a colossal waste of everyone involved's time. I was tempted by Sofia, Jaca and Almaty but ultimately went with -

Borjomi, GEORGIA

12915834.jpg

Remember, this is a Georgian bid for a winter games, so let's see some ex-Soviet republic kitsch and colour with a winter feel. Now remember we are talking the country of Georgia - not the US state - so no peaches, Obama or Izzy. Really.

And so onto Summer 2032.

I thought it was time to go for an alpha city. One with a clash of old and new, democracy and communism, dim sum and really good congee, Disneyland and Ocean Park.

Hong Kong SAR, CHINA

skyline_2847979a.jpg

Will you opt for the traditional or the cutting edge? Old or new?

For those of you not familiar with the drill, the rules and advice for this stage of the competition are:

We are after logos for that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games?

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership.

These logos are for HOST cities. So you can use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City”.

Post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like. When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on ONE official logo in each category (winter and summer) as your official entry.

I'm not sure if this is still up to date but Rob. last year gave some good links for the graphically or technologically challenged (and, I hope, will update them if there's anything better around now):

Want to enter but don't want to use a pencil and paper or MS Paint?

Fear not!

Free software from the internet is available...

Inkscape - for vector graphics, drawinghttp://www.inkscape.org/

Paint.net - for photo editing and manipulationhttp://www.getpaint.net/

The deadline for submissions is 12pm (Brisbane time) on December 31 – ie, you must submit your logos before the end of this year. We will thus start 2014 (with a few days, perhaps, to clear our heads of hangovers) with the voting for short lists, followed by the final round polls.

I will rule on any disputes.

So with no further ado, it’s over to the real stars … the entrants. Good luck everyone and have fun!

You old bastard Pups. You stole my thunder. There goes my Santa Bach photoshop down the sh!tter.

That said. Puppy created GamesBids comps. I would have expected him to put his own spin back in the saddle, rather than cut 'n paste, though. But I can't think of anyone else I'd be so glad to see take it on and sit back this year and watch as an interested observer. Back to you and good luck Pups. I've got the graphics from the past comps if you want 'em.

Touche! i'll go off and sulk then.

... oh, and it was gonna be Tokyo 2020.

Edited by Sir Rols

Ohhhh Tokyo! Feel free to lock this/delete and start your own. I was just being a prick thus the cut and paste job. I almost stole Fatso for my avatar to complete the effect :)

Can we still do Borjomi or did you have a winter pick too?

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy