Sapporo Japan To Bid For 2026 Winter Olympics

GBModerator

Sapporo's mayor Fumio Ueda told a city assembly meeting Thursday that Sapporo intends to bid for the 2026 Winter Olympic Games despite doubts whether or

View the full article

Ugh.. you really need to work on your headlines here. When the story is that mayor is interested in a bid (and that the NOC may or may not support a bid with the needle probably pointing towards 'not'), the headline shouldn't be "Sapporo to bid for 2026." That is really misleading. You need to get out of the habit of misrepresenting the story like that. I mean, it would be like saying I'm thinking about asking a supermodel out on a date and you guys put up the headline "Quaker2001 to date supermodel"

2026 Winter Games are likely to go to USA in Reno - Lake Tahoe for the 2030 bidding race it will be the same as the 2022 race Beijing China will go all out for the games big spending another $50 Billion games like Sochi 2014 so Europe will be pulling out of the 2030 games bid race so 2030 could be Sapporo Japan vs Almaty Kazakhstan but with the President in his last days in Kazakhstan will be unstable and unclear country so looks like Sapporo Japan could easily get the 2030 Winter Games.

2026 Winter Games are likely to go to USA in Reno - Lake Tahoe for the 2030 bidding race it will be the same as the 2022 race Beijing China will go all out for the games big spending another $50 Billion games like Sochi 2014 so Europe will be pulling out of the 2030 games bid race so 2030 could be Sapporo Japan vs Almaty Kazakhstan but with the President in his last days in Kazakhstan will be unstable and unclear country so looks like Sapporo Japan could easily get the 2030 Winter Games.

Well, give you credit for at least having an original thought. So please, share with us.. why are the 2026 Winter likely to go to Reno-Tahoe? Or is that just personal intuition speaking there?

Not surprisingly, the rest of this is just rambling nonsensical crap. Why are you trying to set up 2030 as a 2-way race when you're telling us that 1 of those countries is unstable and unlikely to win? Sure, 2030 could be Sapporo vs Almaty. Or it could be, oh I don't know, pretty much just about anything else? Maybe the Europe has soured on the IOC so much that they'd sit out 3 straight Winter bidding cycles, but if you're going to play the 'likely' and 'could easily' game here... you know, it's just easier to call you stupid.

You do realise that with Tokyo Hosting the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, this gives Sapporo very little chance of Hosting the Winter Olympics and Paralympics until at least 2034, unless no one else Bids. If America Hosts the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, it will probably be with Denver.

You do realise that with Tokyo Hosting the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, this gives Sapporo very little chance of Hosting the Winter Olympics and Paralympics until at least 2034, unless no one else Bids. If America Hosts the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, it will probably be with Denver.

Funny that you declare LA the 2024 fave and have no objections with the US bidding for 2026, but dismiss Sapporo which would actually bid for a Games six years after Tokyo.

I highly doubt it would be with Denver given that two US games would require great attention from the USOC. The USOC will want to bid with a city that already has proved itself, has most of the infrastructure, and the branding ability to stage the event. That city would be Salt Lake City.

Funny that you declare LA the 2024 fave and have no objections with the US bidding for 2026, but dismiss Sapporo which would actually bid for a Games six years after Tokyo.

I think Tony was stating earlier that LA was the favorite for the USOC's nomination, not necessarily to win the whole thing. Unless Tony has suddenly backtracked on his "2024 will be Europe" claims.

Once again, I feel compelled to ask. Why do you think 2026 would go to Denver? If you're going to take an opposing position to GCL, at least give a reason rather that to take a contrary position.

Nevada has been making great come back with Brain Sandoval has Governor of Nevada the Reno bid will be an joint bid with California Gavin Newsom LT Governor of California supports the bid as well and Sacramento is likely to host the ICE hockey events and Snow events around Lake Tahoe, So two states will be in this bid. The Reno team been working for this bid for the past 5 years I could see Reno - Lake Tahoe hosting the next winter games in the USA. So the 2026 Winter Games bid race could be very likely USA vs Japan.

See folks, this is what happens when misleading headlines get posted. I know GCL started a Sapporo topic around a year ago, but we see this story from the mayor of Sapporo (which hints it could be tough to secure the go-ahead from the Japanese Olympic Committee), and suddenly it's "2026 could be very likely USA vs Japan" (don't know how 'could be' and 'very likely' work together there though)? 3 days ago, it probably wouldn't have occurred to anyone here to seriously consider Japan a candidate for 2026. Is this story really enough to make that leap? Hell no. When someone in Japan who is not the mayor of Sapporo weighs in on this, maybe then we should take it seriously. Until then, this sounds an awful lot like the polls in France where you're trying to gauge opinion and have to be careful where you're asking Parisians or non-Parisians to get the proper viewpoint.

Either way.. an intention to bid is not a bid. A bid is when your city and/or your NOC give official notification to the IOC. That's a far cry from saying you intend to bid. It's confusing some of the populace here to imply otherwise.

I think Tony was stating earlier that LA was the favorite for the USOC's nomination, not necessarily to win the whole thing. Unless Tony has suddenly backtracked on his "2024 will be Europe" claims.

Oh, sorry, I stand corrected, had forgotten about that other fave tune of his.

Nevada has been making great come back with Brain Sandoval has Governor of Nevada the Reno bid will be an joint bid with California Gavin Newsom LT Governor of California supports the bid as well and Sacramento is likely to host the ICE hockey events and Snow events around Lake Tahoe, So two states will be in this bid. The Reno team been working for this bid for the past 5 years I could see Reno - Lake Tahoe hosting the next winter games in the USA. So the 2026 Winter Games bid race could be very likely USA vs Japan.

I would not rule out Barcelona 2026

It has the prospective venues in Barcelona, hills of suitable altitude in Alp2000 which have already gained FIS approval for alpine racing and a location in the Pyrenees which can have the Spanish providing the 'story' of the bid as a NEW location for Winter Sports

Barcelona also has the spector of Catalonian independence hanging over it's head. I don't see the COE supporting *anything* Barcelonian.

Catalonia is the richest territory of Spain and currently the best chance of Spain landing any Olympics again if the rest of the country doesn't get their act together. If I were the COE and the rest of Spain, I wouldn't do anything to piss off Catalonia and Barcelona.

Well at least this makes more sense then London hosting the Winter Olympics. :D

Why do You even have to say that? You know Your trying to cause trouble.

• 2 months later...

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150208_19.html

Sapporo prepares for 2017 Winter Asian Games
Japan
Feb. 8, 2015 - Updated 08:12 UTC-5

Officials from the Olympic Council of Asia have inspected the venues for the 2017 Winter Asian Games in Sapporo and Obihiro in Japan's northernmost prefecture of Hokkaido.

OCA Honorary Life Vice President Wei Jizhong and 8 other officials visited Sapporo on Sunday.

They were told that the Japanese organizing committee has already obtained permission to use existing facilities for the games. They also learned that multilingual call centers will be set up to help foreign visitors.

The OCA officials visited the Sapporo Dome, where the opening ceremony will be held. They also saw an information booth for the games at the venue for the annual Sapporo Snow Festival.

Wei expressed satisfaction with the progress.

The president of the Japan Olympic Committee, Tsunekazu Takeda, said Sapporo has a lot of experience in this field as this will be the city's third Winter Asian Games.

Sapporo was also the venue for the Olympic Winter Games in1972.

Takeda said the 2017 games could help to build the mood for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in 2018, and the Summer Games in Tokyo in 2020.

He added that their success will help Sapporo's chances of making a winning bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics

Ok, no. Can the IOC tell Asia to just fucck off for the next 20 years. We're already getting 3 games there in a row.

Well, as long as Europe keeps bowling itself out via public referendums and North America is unwilling to put forward an acceptable candidate, Asia will be the name of the game.

That said, what about South America? Santiago perhaps?

Well, as long as Europe keeps bowling itself out via public referendums and North America is unwilling to put forward an acceptable candidate, Asia will be the name of the game.

That said, what about South America? Santiago perhaps?

Nope. Stop putting ideas into people's heads. The southern hemisphere's winter schedule is too far apart from northern hemisphere's winter schedule. It's easier to schedule a Summer Olympic games in the southern hemisphere because an element like snow is not necessary to hold the games. The only way I see the IOC is willing to do it is if FIFA does in fact overlap the Qatar games with the winter Olympics in 2022 and they in turn want to host a winter olympics during World Cup month as a big f**k you to FIFA.

You are right on the first half though. If Europe is going to continue to be fearful of hosting the Winter Olympics, then Asia is going to always be the answer. The US is always going to aim a Summer Olympic games over a Winter one which is totally stupid. We would have had 2022 wrapped up had we entered a bid whether it be in Colorado, Lake Tahoe area, Alaska, even a return to New York or Utah. And there are even less options in Canada, although with the new rules this allows Quebec City to be a contender so long as the downhill portion can be moved elsewhere.

Archived