Rio 2016 Mascot Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Rio 2016 mascots?

• Love them!
    • Like them
    • They're okay. I suppose the kids will like them.
    • Meh. Who cares about silly thing like mascots?
    • Yuck!
    • Other (please rant in thread)
  2. 2. What names do you prefer for the mascots?

• Oba and Eba
    • Tiba Tuque and Esquindim
    • Vinicius and Tom
    • Other (post suggestions)

Not gonna lie, slightly disappointing. I do like them, though, but the art style seems more fitting for an animated children's cartoon rather than Olympics (How are they going to make costumes for those mascots?). Vinicius' nose (the Olympic mascot?) is weird. Maybe I'm being picky purposely because of my disappointment? It seriously feels like an entirely different entity the way the mascots (and themes) are styled IMO. I just can't link up "Olympics"/"Rio2016" with the mascots. I want to, I really do, but I just can't.

My only complain are the HORRID name options. Oba and Eba are the lest bad ones. After Fuleco, they didn't learned how to make better sounding names I guess.

Vinicius and Tom are great and are the name of two Brazilian musicians very known abroad, Ikarus...

but the art style seems more fitting for an animated children's cartoon rather than Olympics

The old classical mascots looked the cartoon style of that age... Coby was very spanish and also cartoonish... Cartoon reference are often used in mascots... At this point, Rio's one are very up-to-date.

At first I was a little surprised and did not like them, but they are quickly growing on me. I think it curvy almost dream like look of the games while maintaining a certain familiarity to modern cartoon characters (like Adventure Time). My favorite names are Oba and Eba.

They're okay. I personally am not a big fan of that cartoonish style tbh, but it will surely have a good reception among children and teenagers which at the end of the day are the target of these things and their related merchandise.

About the names, tiba tuque and squehfdjfdj whatever is a no-go. Vinicius and Tom I feel are a bit "too human" for them. So the natural choice should be Oba and Eba.

Well, they're still not eliciting much in the way of strong feelings for me at all. I don't hate them, but I don't particularly like them either. Maybe I'm just jaded. The critter's better than the plant, IMO, but as the pot plant is the para mascot, he'll always be overshadowed by the yellow guy and be the afterthought anyway.

About the names, tiba tuque and squehfdjfdj whatever is a no-go. Vinicius and Tom I feel are a bit "too human" for them. So the natural choice should be Oba and Eba.

IMO, Oba and Eba feel like it should belong in toddlers' books. If they're going to continue the cartoony theme Vinivius and Tom would fit fine seeing how cartoons frequently.give human-like qualities to main character animals (incliding names; eg. Jake}. It just all depends on their focus, I guess.

Like them

Of recent efforts I'd put these on the same 'weird but cute' level as W&M. That is, good, better and more memorable than most but not as good as the stand out of their generation; Vancouver's.

------------------------------

Love: Vancouver's

Like: London's, Rio's

Okay I suppose: Beijing's, Sydney's

Yuck: Sochi's, Torino's, Athens', Atlanta's.

Can't remember without looking them up: SLC's, Nagano's

Tiba Tuque and Esquindim.But these are long and difficult to remember.I suggest Tiba and Esquin.I really love the armadillo head character :) . For the cat,he isn't unique at all and not so special,honestly I'm disappointed.I also feel sorry for him.Something like fingers are sticking out his face and head.I think he has to go to hospital immediately and remove the tumor.

Archived