There is a way to get a Norway-Sweden bid back for 2022...

baron-pierreIV

If the IOC can quickly adopt the new criteria which will disband the Almaty and Beijing 2022 bids due to their anti-LGBT stances ASAP, i.e., effective immediately because they are in non-conformance with IOC ideals, then those can be thrown out and that Norway-Sweden bid can come in.

I thought the Olympics weren't about sexual orientation? And that there's the Gay and OutGames for that? What happened to paying lip service to the IOC for the 2 weeks that the Olympics are on?

I thought the Olympics weren't about sexual orientation? And that there's the Gay and OutGames for that? What happened to paying lip service to the IOC for the 2 weeks that the Olympics are on?

I am NOT changing basic concepts. I am just trying to find some technicality to get rid of those 2 subpar 2022 candidates.

I am NOT changing basic concepts. I am just trying to find some technicality to get rid of those 2 subpar 2022 candidates.

Probably too late in the game for that though. You want to be the guy that tells a nation of 1.3 billion people they're not welcome to bid for a Winter Olympics, be my guest.

The proposal has to be passed by a voting audience first which also includes many members from countries with at least questionable LGBT laws - they'd hardly vote for excluding their part of the world from hosting Olympics.

And even if the proposal passes, its practical execution remains to be seen. The IOC will not reopen 2022 bidding, that's it.

Both Sweden and Norway can Host the Winter Olympics and Paralympics on there own though. I can't see them Joint-Bidding for it. Also, I don't think the IOC will re-open the Bidding. We will be seeing the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing, not in Almaty or anywhere else.

Yea they're not going to re-open bids for the 2022 Winter Olympics. If they didn't do it weeks ago before and after Oslo pulled out, they're not going to do it now. And so far no one has mentioned anything about country joint bids in that whole agenda so I don't see Norway and Sweden trying to host anything together.

I'm not saying that Beijing would withdraw. I'm saying that the only way the IOC would re open the Bidding, is if Beijing withdraws and only Almaty is Bidding. Beijing won't withdraw so the Bidding won't be re opened.

Almaty isn't even that bad. I don't see a reason to diss off Almaty so rudely like that unless they are the utterly worst option in the word (which they are not, seeing as they made it to the candidature phase). If they were that desperate to get Oslo back then the process would've reopened once news started floating about Oslo's regret. We don't even know, specifically, how Almaty will be playing this out.

Almaty isn't even that bad. I don't see a reason to diss off Almaty so rudely like that unless they are the utterly worst option in the word (which they are not, seeing as they made it to the candidature phase).

Oh, c'mon now. The only reason they "made it" to the short-list, is because everyone else that was worthwhile was dropping out left & right, &/or abandoned their intentions to bid in the first place. Their grade in the prelimary evaluation was very poor. So yeah, I would say that not scoring adequately in 11 out of 14 categories IS "that bad". And the only reason why they're still part of the discussion is because the IOC was so desperate since everyone else was telling them to go & fly a fu@king kite. If they get yet another lackluster review in the F.E.R. next year, then they're definitely done for.

I say Almaty was playing this game a little dumb on purpose. If there been Munich or a Swiss bid on board or both, then it knew it had to bring it's A game. I guess it was lucky for them that so many bailed out.

I'd ask you why you think they're doing that, but I realize I already asked you that and you already answered. So here, I'll save you the trouble of saying the exact same thing all over again..

IMO, they're (Almaty) is doing it half assed (so far), based on their High School quality bid book, something that 10th graders might have come up with. Poor layout, colour scheme, formatting, use of images etc comes to mind. We'll see if this follows through to their Candidate books. If there was stronger competition out there, like if Munich and Switzerland was still in the bid race, then they (Almaty) might have taken a more professional approach, knowing that it's up against the big shots. I couldn't care less about Almaty's Candidate books, they'll probably have the same scheme as their Applicant book, which I stated looks like it came from a local High School project.

Didn't make sense a month ago. Still doesn't make sense now. But no, please keep telling us your thoughts of Almaty's bid based on the layout and formatting of their bid book. Because we all know what an important factor that is in determining what city hosts the Olympics.

Almaty isn't even that bad. I don't see a reason to diss off Almaty so rudely like that unless they are the utterly worst option in the word (which they are not, seeing as they made it to the candidature phase). If they were that desperate to get Oslo back then the process would've reopened once news started floating about Oslo's regret. We don't even know, specifically, how Almaty will be playing this out.

As FYI said, Almaty only made it as a Candidate City because Stockholm, Oslo and Krakow withdrew. If all 6 Bidders had stayed in the Bidding, then Stockholm, Oslo, Krakow and Beijing would have become Candidate Cities. Almaty will not be Hosting.

I say Almaty was playing this game a little dumb on purpose. If there been Munich or a Swiss bid on board or both, then it knew it had to bring it's A game. I guess it was lucky for them that so many bailed out.

Right, bcuz "playing this game a little dumb" is the SMART way to play these 'games'. :rolleyes: And if that were to be the case (as goofy as that notion sounds in the first place), then they have no business being in the game at all.

And like I said the last time you brought this silliness up; Munich only backed out just DAYS before the 2022 deadline. So anyone else seriously wanting to bid didn't know for sure whether the Germans were in or out. So any likely competitor by that time (so close to the application deadline) shoulda had their "A-game" ready to go regardless.

The IOC knew from the Start that they weren't going to choose Almaty to Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. If Munich and a Switzerland Bid had Bidded, it would have been Stockholm VS Oslo VS Munich VS a Switzerland Bid. Krakow would have been the backup Bid.

The IOC knew from the Start that they weren't going to choose Almaty to Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. If Munich and a Switzerland Bid had Bidded, it would have been Stockholm VS Oslo VS Munich VS a Switzerland Bid. Krakow would have been the backup Bid.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Beijing was supposed to be the backup bid in all this and look at them now.. they're going to win it. The IOC can't choose who bids or doesn't bid. And in this case, all those cities your mentioned were discouraged from bidding. Beggars can't be choosers.

Archived