Do ETs really want to get to know us?

Essentially, if mankind had always made a cost benefit analysis before going to explore the neighbourhood, we would still live in the same cave as our ancestors.

Not really. Well, yeah, stockholders and suppliers of Boeing and Grumman, etc., etc., would benefit but they could recreate most of the benefits and experiments here on terra firma without all that waste of hydrogen fuel and number of lives lost in such stupid explorations.

I wouldn't be surprised that colonization in space is in the minds of space programs. We're pretty much going to devour all the resources from this planet and just go elsewhere in space to do the exact same thing. Humans have become some of the biggest parasites on this planet.

Colonization and exploitation would have to be the long-term aims. If there's anything valuable in comets or asteroids, we can mine it, process it in space using solar power, and ship the finished product down to the planet-dwellers.

... using solar power,

Ah, the 3 magic words... IF we can land them on the right side of anything. But after spending billions or even hundreds of millions just to land right -- for a 2nd or a 3rd try, doncha think we might as well have done the job on earth?? Or are you then just giving job security to all those aeronautical nerds and brainiacs who can't find jobs in academia?? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Or we can just send solar powered ship thingies near the sun and let it transmit the energy to stations on Earth or something...

Good idea.

"Living things on other planets" are actually aliens, no?

Obviously not in a cinema kind of way, but as a term.

That's what I meant, because I don't believe in UFO's etc. Of course, there are other Living Things out there though.

That's what I meant, because I don't believe in UFO's etc. Of course, there are other Living Things out there though.

What does that mean though.. "I don't believe in UFOs." So you believe there are other living things out there (which I agree with), but that they beings wouldn't (or couldn't) contact us here and appear on Earth? I'm just trying to clarify what you mean when you say you don't believe in them.

he meant they HADN'T, jesus christ leave the poor kid alone once in a while. not every response on this message board must meet your exacting, harassing standards of clarity.

it was confusingly worded but the rest of us got it without making such a fuss, which will inevitably turn this thread into another tonyfied bore fest.

"you almost contradicted yourself. don't you see how stupid you are?"

it's getting compulsive, quakes.

Or we can just send solar powered ship thingies near the sun and let it transmit the energy to stations on Earth or something...

Ah, the 3 magic words... IF we can land them on the right side of anything. But after spending billions or even hundreds of millions just to land right -- for a 2nd or a 3rd try, doncha think we might as well have done the job on earth?? Or are you then just giving job security to all those aeronautical nerds and brainiacs who can't find jobs in academia?? :blink:

The really hard part of space flight is the first 120 kilometres or so, because of the Earth's gravity. Once you're up there, getting anywhere else, no matter how distant, uses surprisingly little energy. If you're not in a hurry, nudging asteroids out of orbit (so that they end up about the same distance from the Sun as the Earth is, instead of way out beyond Mars) also uses surprisingly little energy. Beyond the Earth's atmosphere, solar cells generate surprisingly much energy.

Here on Earth, we're running short of various raw materials, and we need much of the sunlight which reaches the surface to grow food, and trees etc. It makes loads of sense to find ways of using the colossal resources available in space.

the eradication of islam.

Indeed. I feel even more strongly that if there were ways possible, that cult should be eliminated from the face of civilized society. And I make no bones about it.

Why is anyone even engaging in intelligible conversation with someone who believes in the eradication of the worlds 2nd largest religion.

What does that mean though.. "I don't believe in UFOs." So you believe there are other living things out there (which I agree with), but that they beings wouldn't (or couldn't) contact us here and appear on Earth? I'm just trying to clarify what you mean when you say you don't believe in them.

Well, until I've seen UFO's with My own Eyes (Not on TV, not on a picture, not on the Internet and not on a Video, meaning through My own Eyes in real Life), I don't believe that other Living things from outside of Earth has Visited Earth. Just My opinion.

• Like 1

. If you're not in a hurry, nudging asteroids out of orbit (so that they end up about the same distance from the Sun as the Earth is, instead of way out beyond Mars) also uses surprisingly little energy.

Uh, I'm no expert on these things. But it seems like putting asteroids into Earth's orbit is a really bad idea.

Uh, I'm no expert on these things. But it seems like putting asteroids into Earth's orbit is a really bad idea.

Funnily enough, it's sort of the opposite. If they're in the same orbit as Earth, but, by definition, not at the same point in the orbit, then they'll be moving along the same path and within the same speed range. What's bad is orbits which intersect with Earth's orbit, and once in a while intersect with the point where the Earth happens to be- it's the difference between a rear-end shunt car accident (where crash speed is the speed of the car behind minus the only-slightly-smaller speed of the car in front) and a crossroads side-impact accident (where crash speed is the full speed of the car coming from the side).

Why is anyone even engaging in intelligible conversation with someone who believes in the eradication of the worlds 2nd largest religion.

islam is NOT a religion. It is a cult. Other "religions" do not demand the taking of life and unquestioned obeisance. That dipsh*t cult does. Does that escape you completely?? No wonder it flourishes under the likes of you.

islam is NOT a religion. It is a cult. Other "religions" do not demand the taking of life and unquestioned obeisance. That dipsh*t cult does. Does that escape you completely?? No wonder it flourishes under the likes of you.

I'll take "things you don't say on a multi-national Internet forum" for $600, Alex

I'll take "things you don't say on a multi-national Internet forum" for $600, Alex

...errr...yeah...no comment.

(I have B on ignore but read the above couple of comments because they have been quoted by others - I have no idea who nzl is by the way)

it's like when grampa gets soused at thanksgiving dinner and starts going off on politics and everyone's thinking "oh boy, here we go" before wondering how many people can safely retreat outside with the only smoker at the table without looking impolite. everyone left behind should just focus on changing the subject as quickly as possible and putting gramps to bed.

• Like 1

it's like when grampa gets soused at thanksgiving dinner and starts going off on politics and everyone's thinking "oh boy, here we go" before wondering how many people can safely retreat outside with the only smoker at the table without looking impolite. everyone left behind should just focus on changing the subject as quickly as possible and putting gramps to bed.

You just described my family.