Sign in to follow this  
LatinXTC

2015 Africa Cup of Nations

Just read this article. Morroco could very well lose the rights to host these games, which is set to start in a little over 2 months. They insist on postponing the games for fear of an ebola outbreak in their country. They're not budging on their request for a postponement, and the CAF (Confederation of African Football) is rejecting moving the games.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-outbreak-morocco-insists-on-delaying-african-cup-over-virus-fears/

It was reported that CAF asked Ghana and South Africa to take over but they both rejected. I think CAF will have to stick to Morocco. They can possibly ask Nigeria or Cameroon since they have stadiums that meet the standards, also, wasn't Nigeria the reserve host?

Yea not only that, they may face further sanctions for breaking the contract. Anyone know if Morocco built new stadiums to host the African cup?

I just love it. Morocco de-frocked from hosting the Orange Cup. Bahrain and UAE dropping out of neighboring Qatar's Handball tournament for very strange reasons. Common link? Muslim countries!! :wacko:

You really can't trust them in whatever sphere they're involved. Really shady and will turn on a dime! That's why they should never give these major tournaments to 3rd world countries!!

You know very well that compared to other African Cup hosts, Morocco is quite advanced. They had reasons - maybe exaggerated - why they did not want to host at this point in time.

Being an Africa lover (and a sport lover) I find the CAF's decision ridiculous. Morocco rightfully asked for a deferment of the competition, and not a cancellation, in presence of an alarming health situation in all Western Africa.

Some people seem to consider that more than 5000 deaths because of Ebola is nothing to worry about and consider it a useless fuss. I imagine the prospect of thousands of potentially infected Guinean fans coming to Morocco, bringing the virus to Morocco and in all likelihood to Europe, isn't a concern for them either.

The idea of holding the event in Qatar is probably the best solution now, the most likely to make the event successful, and one I fully support.

CAF has selected Equatorial Guinea as the host, {Venues will be: Malabo, Bata, Mongomo and Ebebiyin, Malabo will also host the final draw which was supposed to be in Rabat if Morocco wasn't stripped}

@LatinXTC

I don't think they built new stadiums for the AFCON, it was said that CAF gave them the AFCON because they hosted the FIFA Club World Cup successfully, Aren't all the stadiums that were going to be used for the AFCON part of Morocco's 2010 FIFA World Cup Bid?

I believe they were going to use:

Stade de Marrakech, Marrakech

Moulay Abdellah Stadium, Rabat

Stade de Tangier, Tangier

Agadir Stadium, Agadir

Note: Casablanca was going to be the Alternative Host.

Equatorial Guinea...Africa's equivalent to Qatar: Microstate swimming in petrodollars, ruled by an autocrat/dictator.

A logical choice.

Equatorial Guinea...Africa's equivalent to Qatar: Microstate swimming in petrodollars, ruled by an autocrat/dictator.

A logical choice.

This is Africa we're talking about, there's not many logical choices to choose from.

This is Africa we're talking about, there's not many logical choices to choose from.

I agree, but this is one of the worst options.

I agree, but this is one of the worst options.

I somewhat agree, they did had Egypt, Algeria or Nigeria as options, Angola was an option but they backed out. Nigeria has got stadiums that can be used (Abuja National Stadium, Surulere Stadium in Lagos and The Akwa Ibom Stadium) In my opinion I think Algeria would've been prepared quicker than any of the options since they have the venues required and past experience.