PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Media Updates

15 hours ago, daniel anderson400 said:

I see that NBCSN has figure skating at the same time as NBC. Is that because will have live skiing at the same time?

Sort of.  Looks like most nights, NBCSN will show the first half of the competition and then NBC will pick up the rest once the big name skaters start coming out. This way, figure skating fans see everyone, much like during Sochi. And NBC can show other events

So far, NBC has shown to be well-adjusted in its Olympic coverage.  That said, tonight seemed to be a step back.

I long wanted to see them donmore live coverage, but it seemed to drag.  

Its not so much showing the competition.  They did great going live with Chloe Kim and Ted Ligety, but they should’ve found something else to show during a ski slope delay, or long run of unfamiliar athletes.

I long advocated for the latter, but I’m not so sure it translated well on prime time network TV.

7 hours ago, A-Money1983 said:

So far, NBC has shown to be well-adjusted in its Olympic coverage.  That said, tonight seemed to be a step back.

Its not so much showing the competition.  They did great going live with Chloe Kim and Ted Ligety, but they should’ve found something else to show during a ski slope delay, or long run of unfamiliar athletes.

I long advocated for the latter, but I’m not so sure it translated well on prime time network TV.

I've long advocated for NBC to do what they do on the NFL and other major sports and show events in their entirety.

15 hours ago, A-Money1983 said:

There was very literally nothing else going on last night.  The only 3 events that that took place last night before 2am ET were the curling mixed doubles bronze medal match, men's and women's halfpipe, plus alpine skiing.  NBC had no place else to go which is why NBCSN was in replays all last night.  That was as much live coverage as perhaps we've ever seen in a Winter Olympics primetime.  I can't find too many faults in how they handled that.  Last night was them at their best, not a step back.  Live and to the point.  Very little filler (which is what a long run of unfamiliar athletes would be).  Loving this timezone for that reason.

Brazil: Good ratings in TV GLOBO.

Resultado de imagem para pyeongchang 2018 globo

BRASIL - The broadcast of the 2018 Winter Olympics had a good hearing on Thursday night. The transmission between 00.30 a.m. and 5 a.m. The audience in last night was 4.5 points in the city of São Paulo that serves as reference to the Brazilian advertising market. Compared to the audience reached on February 1 without sports programming, the audience grew slightly.Using São Paulo as a reference for the national market reaches 9 million viewers last night.
TV Globo coverage should be limited only between 0.30 a.m. and 05 a.m. on most days.

Frustratingly, consolidated ratings for BBC programmes are currently not being published in BARB's free weekly charts. They have, however, released ratings for online streaming from the week ending 11 February, which includes the first few Olympic programmes:

The Opening Ceremony was the 6th most popular BBC live-streamed show on iPlayer in the week ending 11 February, with the equivalent of about 12,440 full streams (number 1 being Match of the Day, with about 49,520 full stream equivalent). Several other Olympic broadcasts also appeared lower down the iPlayer live streaming Top 100. No Olympic event appears in the iPlayer Top 100 On Demand shows for the week (number 100 being an episode of Inside No. 9, with about 21,700 full stream equivalent).

On Sky Go, Eurosport's coverage of the Opening Ceremony got the equivalent of about 480 full streams (5th in the Sky Go: Eurosport ranking for the week, number 1 being the Luge on Sunday about 10am GMT). No Olympic event appears in Sky Go's Top 100 On Demand shows for the week (number 100 being an episode of The Blacklist, with about 1,980 full stream equivalent).

• Sad 1

On 2/13/2018 at 3:19 PM, Quaker2001 said:

There was very literally nothing else going on last night.  The only 3 events that that took place last night before 2am ET were the curling mixed doubles bronze medal match, men's and women's halfpipe, plus alpine skiing.  NBC had no place else to go which is why NBCSN was in replays all last night.  That was as much live coverage as perhaps we've ever seen in a Winter Olympics primetime.  I can't find too many faults in how they handled that.  Last night was them at their best, not a step back.  Live and to the point.  Very little filler (which is what a long run of unfamiliar athletes would be).  Loving this timezone for that reason.

Last night was even busier, since NBC had the skiing, while NBCSN had the hockey game at the same time.

- and here's a summary of UK Channel 4's coverage plans (with Clare Balding as usual providing continuity between the Olympics and Paralympics)

Channel 4 to broadcast 100 hours of 2018 Paralympic Winter Games

02 MAR 2018

Ed Havard, Channel 4’s Head of Entertainment, Events and Live, said: “Channel 4’s coverage of the Rio Paralympics in 2016 broke new ground and we’re delighted to be bringing that award-winning team back together for the 2018 Winter Paralympics.

“With Clare Balding leading the sports coverage alongside Jonnie Peacock, Ade Adepitan, Sophie Morgan, Arthur Williams and Lee Mckenzie – it promises to be an epic showcase of our Paralympic champions in South Korea. And with The Last Leg back at the heart of the Games, we’ll be celebrating the Paralympians extraordinary achievements as only Adam, Josh and Alex can.”

In all there will be about 100 hours of Paralympics Winter Games programming across Channel 4 and 4Seven including live coverage of the Opening Ceremony, highlights programmes, live through the night coverage of the action, three episodes of The Last Leg, audio described versions of highlights and coverage from the Closing Ceremony.

Clare, Jonnie and Lee will present Channel 4’s prime time evening highlights show, Winter Paralympics Today from its UK-based production base at The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead

Clare and the team will also guide viewers through the late night show, Winter Paralympics Highlights, at 11pm on weekdays which leads straight into Channel 4’s through the night live coverage of the Games – Winter Paralympics Live.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-to-broadcast-100-hours-of-2018-paralympic-winter-games

Also worth noting, as featured on The Last Leg last night:

• Like 1

- and today, the activity from Channel 4 across all media is almost non-stop. They are very much on board with the International Paralympic Committee's contributions to International Women's Day, such as this retweet:

- but they are also promoting individual athletes like GB's flag-bearer

Overnight ratings for the UK Channel 4 coverage of the Paralympics are starting to emerge. The live coverage of the Opening Ceremony, at 11am on a weekday, did very badly, on 0.2 million. The first weekday evening highlights show, on the other hand, got 0.7 million on Monday, which doesn't sound great but seems to be a step up from Sochi. Other evening Paralympic shows over the weekend also got around 0.7 million.

UK live+7 day TV ratings are now in for the week ending 11 March. The bad news for Channel 4 is that, even with timeshifting, the only Paralympic programme among their 30 highest-rated was the Sunday special of The Last Leg (a million viewers). The slightly better news is that the "ordinary" episode of The Last Leg on 9 March, discussing the Opening Ceremony etc., got nearly 300,000 more viewers than the previous week, and overall Channel 4 was almost unaffected by the nearly 16% decline in total TV viewing since the previous week (granted, there was also a special episode of Bake Off, but Paralympic viewing over the weekend probably contributed too).

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of declining TV ratings, here's a bit of news we missed, from the New York Post:

NBC’s Olympic ratings won’t win any medals

February 25, 2018

... As Comcast-owned NBC geared up late Sunday to broadcast closing ceremonies for the Winter Games in PyeongChang, overall ratings were on track to slide 8 percent, to just over 20 million prime-time viewers, from four years ago. ... those numbers include views on NBC’s livestreaming site ...

... some experts fear millennials simply don’t care about sports on TV like earlier generations have ...

https://nypost.com/2018/02/25/nbcs-olympic-ratings-wont-win-any-medals/