PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Media Updates

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'm 38 years old, so just about anyone younger than me will have little to no memory of a Summer Olympics not hosted by Bob Costas.  He's as iconic in that role, if not moreso, than Jim McKay once was.  But Costas is hardly universally well-received.  He has plenty of detractors (a lot of that goes towards overall feelings of NBC's coverage).  And considering what NBC is now up against - 3 straight Asian Olympics, the full slate of cable coverage and everything else they have to deal with now that they didn't years ago - makes this a good time for a change.  It was said many times after Rio that those Olympics may have represented a paradigm shift where it's not all about primetime and NBC really needs to embrace the rest of their assets in order to make the Olympics succeed.  The run-up to Rio (which may or may not have been hurt by all the political coverage) earned NBC a good deal of money, but it didn't show in the ratings, and that's a problem going forward.

Like Durban, I have every confidence in Tirico to take over the reigns from Costas.  I think he'll do an excellent job going forward (and there are potentially 8 Olympics already in front of him, so there's a decent amount of job security here) as he is a solid host and maybe can move away a little from some of the snark that has defined Costas, but also has made him somewhat polarizing.

Also, this ties into what happens with Sunday Night Football. It wouldn't surprise me if Al Michaels retires after the next Super Bowl(which NBC has), and that Tirico replaces him too.

19 hours ago, daniel anderson400 said:

Also, this ties into what happens with Sunday Night Football. It wouldn't surprise me if Al Michaels retires after the next Super Bowl(which NBC has), and that Tirico replaces him too.

Which reminds me, both Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis and the Winter Olympics next year will both be on NBC during the same winter season just days from each other. Al Michaels (or Mike Tirico assuming he gets the broadcasting honor in the former) will have to immediately jet out to Pyeongchang from Minneapolis.

New Olympic TV channel in Sweden. Another new era in Swedish Olympic broadcasting after SVT and MTG's TV3/TV10/Viasat channels with promises of "the best and most extensive coverage". Discovery's Swedish FTA channel is Kanal 5 and automatically gets the designated nod as the dedicated Swedish Olympic Channel round the clock. Kanal 5 will have Kanal 9, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2, and Eurosport Player joining with it--though I do expect there will be additional temporary Olympic channels like Viasat did, which even included TV3 Sport doing the handball matches. Discovery Networks Sweden will also produce profiles including Jessica Almenäs, newly recruited for the Olympics, Jonas Karlsson, and Karin Frick as the "biggest and beloved profiles". And this will last until 2024:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=https://www.resume.se/nyheter/artiklar/2017/01/02/kanal-5-blir-renodlad-os-kanal/&prev=search

And this is the article from over a month ago that announces Jessica Almenas departing TV4 (Let's Dance, Biggest Loser Sverige, and Fotbollsgalan) and heading to Discovery Sweden's Kanal 5 as one of its three Olympic studio anchors with Karlsson and Frick:

http://www.metro.se/artikel/jessica-almenäs-till-kanal-5-xr

On 2/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, daniel anderson400 said:

I think he'll stick around for 1 more cycle.  NBC also has Super Bowl LV in Los Angeles, so he could also use that one to sail off into retirement.

8 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Pointless rant: The NFL blew it. Last year they went with "Superbowl 50". Did they have to bring back the Roman numerals?

One could ask the same question of whether or not they needed to get rid of them just for last year.  I like it.  What's wrong with roman numerals?

8 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Which reminds me, both Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis and the Winter Olympics next year will both be on NBC during the same winter season just days from each other. Al Michaels (or Mike Tirico assuming he gets the broadcasting honor in the former) will have to immediately jet out to Pyeongchang from Minneapolis.

I've been looking at that for years, ever since NBC extended their NFL deal and got that Super Bowl.  And there's some irony there since the only other Super Bowl in Minneapolis was Super Bowl XXVI on CBS, which happens to be the last time the same network had an Olympics and the Super Bowl in the same year.

Definitely works out here for NBC that Tirico and not Costas will be the primetime host from Korea.  This allows him to do all the prep work he needs for the Olympics and probably not have to worry about covering the Super Bowl.  Either way, that's going to be 1 full charter heading from Minneapolis to Seoul after the Super Bowl!

A closer look at NBC's move to replace Bob Costas with Mike Tirico as Olympic host

According to Richard Deitsch, Tirico was informed that he would become Olympic primetime host during a phone call back in November.  So he's known about this for 3 months.  Also worth noting that Costas and Tirico use the same agent, which means if Costas did indeed make it known to his NBC inner circle that he was going to stop hosting the Olympics after Rio, I'm betting Tirico had to know he could wind up with that role sooner rather than later.

Agreed that Al Michaels got one more Olympic cycle in him. Furthermore, he can continue on in his previous anchor role from Sochi as daytime/afternoon host on NBC and NBC Sports Network. He wouldn't be needed exactly right away as the broadcast starts February 8-9, but he obviously needs time to settle in Pyeongchang when he comes from Minneapolis. Surely, Michaels will brush up on the current goings-on for the then-upcoming anchor role while working on his Super Bowl research.

Speaking of anchors, another Scandinavian TV network rights change hands with TVNorge taking over in Norway from TV2 Norge. Last summer it was announced that former NRK sports anchor and reporter Anne Rimmen and Jan Almaas will become the studio anchor dynamic duo in Pyeongchang for its ambitious coverage. Definitely for this cycle with a mix of being both on location reporting things and mixing in with some entertainment:

http://kampanje.com/medier/2016/12/kan-bli-tvnorges-nye-superduo/

TVNorge also got from NRK Morten Johannessen and Frode Martnas with Rimmen:

http://kampanje.com/medier/2016/12/anne-rimmen-til-tvnorge/#cxrecs_s

And TVNorge announces at the one-year mark it will go 24 hours a day having special emphasis on showing every Norwegian medal contention with Eurosport Norway and Eurosport 1 helping out. It will have a 135 people staff on location in Pyeongchang:

http://www.hegnar.no/Nyheter/Naeringsliv/2017/02/Vinter-OL-doegnet-rundt-paa-TVNorge

17 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Agreed that Al Michaels got one more Olympic cycle in him. Furthermore, he can continue on in his previous anchor role from Sochi as daytime/afternoon host on NBC and NBC Sports Network. He wouldn't be needed exactly right away as the broadcast starts February 8-9, but he obviously needs time to settle in Pyeongchang when he comes from Minneapolis. Surely, Michaels will brush up on the current goings-on for the then-upcoming anchor role while working on his Super Bowl research.

The question is whether or not Michaels will want to spend all of January in football mode, then fly halfway around the world to be ready in time for the Olympics.  If he wants to do that, more power to him.  But he skipped out on Beijing to prepare for football.  So I have a feeling he may pass on the 2018 Olympics.

PyeongChang 2018: Coverage in Brazil?

There is a problem regarding the transmission of PC2018 in Brazil, the broadcasting rights of the event were acquired by TV GLOBO until 2032. The channel is an absolute leader of audience with a 40% share of televisions on free to air TV.
In cable TV the channel owns the SPORTV network that has the leadership in the sports segment.

The big problem is that GLOBO TV does not usually cover the winter edition, in fact the first time the Winter Olympics were shown on free TV was in Vancouver 2010, at that time RECORDTV (second broadcaster in audience) exhibited about 80 Hours and got a higher than expected audience, but nothing extraordinary.
In Sochi 2014, the Olympic cycle for having Rio 2016 received the broadcast of TV GLOBO, RECORDTV and BAND. The GLOBO TV that made a gigantic and magnificent coverage of Rio 2016, broadcast only 10 hours of Sochi 2014 hidden in the dawn of the channel. RECORDTV, which was the founder of free TV broadcasting, recorded low rates and BAND transmitted the most hours, but its audience result was low.

What to expect from 2018?

Should GLOBO TV broadcast the Winter Olympics? We do not have details of transmission plans yet.
RECORDTV does not intend to broadcast Olympic Games in 2018 and 2020.

Brazilians can be restricted to a minimum coverage on TV GLOBO or watch a greater coverage in SPORTV (pay TV).

A feather.

Both opening and closing ceremonies as well for some of the sport events were aired here at Meridiano TV during Sochi, though with lots of commercial cuts. They didn't even bothered showing Vancouver back then given we didn't even qualified for the 2010 edition. If we fail to make it for 2018 i'm afraid it would be the same thing. Not mentioning the horrifying timezone we'll have to deal with, most if not all of the events will be shown on delay. Dunno if Meridiano would want to do that. 

The rights for the Summer Olympics were got by Tves ever since the 2012 edition. Both London and Rio were aired there, though they don't seem to have the rights for the WOG.

Tbh i'm kind of expecting to have to watch the games online next year, though there's always hope.

We have yet to know about CBC/Radio-Canada's Pyeongchang 2018 broadcasting plans with TSN/RDS and Rogers Sportsnet. But to start with the CBC/Radio-Canada Media Solutions has overhauled its multiplatform sports sales and marketing department in anticipation ahead of the upcoming Winter Olympics. We can also expect many of the same personalities returning next February as well as many of the same corporate sponsors like Bell Canada, Canadian Tire, Petro-Canada, Royal Canadian Mint, and Rona:

https://cartt.ca/article/cbc-overhauls-sports-sales-marketing-ahead-pyeongchang-2018-olympic-winter-games

Surely and obviously NBC Universal will be better prepared on the technological rapidly-changing viewership habits and its complexities this time around (like finding younger audiences) in Pyeongchang than what happened with Rio De Janeiro. Enter the Total Audience Delivery with digital ad packages and guarantees. Part of that slow, gradual realization of the changing viewing structure major companies are enduring for years:

http://adage.com/article/media/nbc-include-digital-viewing-ad-guarantees-2018-winter-olympics/307887/

112 global broadcasting delegates descended upon Pyeongchang for the World Broadcasters Meeting earlier this week:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1047350/pyeongchang-2018-hold-world-broadcasters-meeting

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__59170/Title__World-Broadcasters-Zoom-in-on-PyeongChang/292/Articles

Eurosport will go VR along with 4KTV next winter. RAI could be onboard:

http://www.sportface.it/ultimi-articoli/pyeongchang-2018-tv-eurosport-diritti-in-chiaro-rai-solo-se-da-garanzie/135409

2 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Surely and obviously NBC Universal will be better prepared on the technological rapidly-changing viewership habits and its complexities this time around (like finding younger audiences) in Pyeongchang than what happened with Rio De Janeiro. Enter the Total Audience Delivery with digital ad packages and guarantees. Part of that slow, gradual realization of the changing viewing structure major companies are enduring for years:

http://adage.com/article/media/nbc-include-digital-viewing-ad-guarantees-2018-winter-olympics/307887/

Good.  Hopefully this will encourage NBC to put less emphasis on primetime.  I think we started to see this with Rio, but now it's being acknowledged more.

Too bad I failed to notice NBC's ad changes too much on the multiplatform level with Rio because I was working at the time (I still work in retail and it was back to school time then with heavy hours). But as I said around London, the current NBC structure--and of US TV broadcasting across the board--is employing for their Olympic broadcasts over nearly 30 years will not work in the long run and requires a massive change with the rapid tech changes that younger consumers will embrace. Agreed on the primetime segment needing a de-emphasis, especially in distant time zones where the Olympics reside away from the continental US time zones.  

I wonder what the Seven Network's Pyeongchang 2018 plans are down in Australia. Been reading things online that its Rio 2016 coverage flopped in the eyes of many Aussie viewers despite having three separate channels in its return to Olympic broadcasting since 2008 with Beijing. Which is especially concerning since the next three Olympics are based in more favorable time zones for Australia and New Zealand in the TV scheduling before we all get Asia'ed-out with the Olympics. Sure Bruce McAveney will be there, but I project Mel McLaughlin will take a more prominent role this time. Actually making her the primetime anchor like she did with Sochi 2014 when she was back on Ten--and we do know Seven will use 7's main channel along with two subchannels 7TWO and 7Mate along for Australia's biggest free-to-air Winter Olympics coverage ever.

23 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Too bad I failed to notice NBC's ad changes too much on the multiplatform level with Rio because I was working at the time (I still work in retail and it was back to school time then with heavy hours). But as I said around London, the current NBC structure--and of US TV broadcasting across the board--is employing for their Olympic broadcasts over nearly 30 years will not work in the long run and requires a massive change with the rapid tech changes that younger consumers will embrace. Agreed on the primetime segment needing a de-emphasis, especially in distant time zones where the Olympics reside away from the continental US time zones. 

You say that as if you think NBC is still using the same approach to their Olympic coverage as they have for 30 years now.  That's simply not true and it's a misconception that NBC doesn't deserve to deal with.

Look at Atlanta 20 years ago.  No cable coverage (thank you Triplecast.. an idea ahead of its time, both 1 of the best and 1 of worst things ever to happen to Olympic television coverage), a 3 hour morning/afternoon show, no Internet presence, no streaming.  Think about how all that has changed since then and then tell me about the NBC structure.  If you want to argue that primetime is largely treated the same, that's harder to argue with.  But that's only a small portion of the overall package they're offering.  Don't be 1 of those people who thinks NBC's coverage starts and ends with primetime and that those other offerings are incidental.  That those are there in the first place is what allows NBC change how they measure viewership and, like you said, take a little emphasis off of primetime.

That said, don't forget that the distant time zone works in their favor somewhat here.  There will be live events available in US primetime where there weren't in Sochi.  So hopefully that helps their cause.

The US cable edition of the Olympic Channel slated for a summer debut, interesting as many are predicting the end of niche cable network, will just be a place during Pyeongchang (and likely ditto for Tokyo and beyond) as "potentially as a prime destination for viewers looking for deeper analysis of the games...[as] a place where we can talk to athletes, experts, coaches. [O]ur on-air talent through the course of the day [will] catch up and get a little more analysis:

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/03/03/svg-ip-production-forum-nbc-olympics-president-zenkel-details-launch-of-the-olympic-channel/

13 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

The US cable edition of the Olympic Channel slated for a summer debut, interesting as many are predicting the end of niche cable network, will just be a place during Pyeongchang (and likely ditto for Tokyo and beyond) as "potentially as a prime destination for viewers looking for deeper analysis of the games...[as] a place where we can talk to athletes, experts, coaches. [O]ur on-air talent through the course of the day [will] catch up and get a little more analysis:

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/03/03/svg-ip-production-forum-nbc-olympics-president-zenkel-details-launch-of-the-olympic-channel/

Good find.  Confirms what I was expecting of the network, that they'll have event competition throughout the year which largely used to belong to Universal Sports (remains to be seen what they'll pull out of the archive).  And come Games-time, they'll largely be there for ancillary coverage rather than live events, again similar to what Universal Sports offered during Vancouver.

I don't really see this channel being any more successful than Universal Sports.  Though it may technically be available in tens of millions of homes, I'm sure it will be on premier or sports tiers that are expensive and have fewer subscribers.  Since Universal Sports folded, we have had a significant increase in coverage across NBC, NBCSN, and Universal HD - all of which are available on more standard packages.  Most of the coverage is also streamed on NBC Sports Live.  I hope that coverage doesn't get shifted to the new Olympic Channel, because no one will see it if it does.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39202936

South Korean president Park Chung Hee impeachment was upholded, which means she's officially removed now from office. Needless to say, some people are not happy and political wise the situation is kind of similar to Brazil back in 2016 minus the economic crisis (even the son of Samsung CEO is involved in this whole mess).

Presidential elections will be held in 60 days from now.

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39202936

South Korean president Park Chung Hee impeachment was upholded, which means she's officially removed now from office. Needless to say, some people are not happy and political wise the situation is kind of similar to Brazil back in 2016 minus the economic crisis (even the son of Samsung CEO is involved in this whole mess).

Presidential elections will be held in 60 days from now.

- which should mean that, unlike Brazil, they'll have an elected president by Olympic time.

I find this very ironic. Shortly before Seoul 1988 happened, they also kicked out a president (which was the last military dictator that country had) and elected a new one shortly after, marking the beggining of the current democratic era. 

On 2/27/2017 at 3:32 PM, Quaker2001 said:

You say that as if you think NBC is still using the same approach to their Olympic coverage as they have for 30 years now.  That's simply not true and it's a misconception that NBC doesn't deserve to deal with.

Look at Atlanta 20 years ago.  No cable coverage (thank you Triplecast.. an idea ahead of its time, both 1 of the best and 1 of worst things ever to happen to Olympic television coverage), a 3 hour morning/afternoon show, no Internet presence, no streaming.  Think about how all that has changed since then and then tell me about the NBC structure.  If you want to argue that primetime is largely treated the same, that's harder to argue with.  But that's only a small portion of the overall package they're offering.  Don't be 1 of those people who thinks NBC's coverage starts and ends with primetime and that those other offerings are incidental.  That those are there in the first place is what allows NBC change how they measure viewership and, like you said, take a little emphasis off of primetime.

That said, don't forget that the distant time zone works in their favor somewhat here.  There will be live events available in US primetime where there weren't in Sochi.  So hopefully that helps their cause.

Same thing with the NCAA Tournament. CBS had the games to themselves, you got the afternoon games then the news/syndicated fare, then the evening games at 7:30. Now if you were in the area that got the 5:00 west coast game, then you got a fifth game, since that game preempted the news/syndicated stuff. This was also where CBS put The Price Is Right back then. I think if NBC did the Olympics the way that CBS/Turner do the NCAA playoffs, you might get more viewers that way. I don't think need to make priemtime a big deal, if you did cable coverage of the bigger events live, then a primetime replay. Tokyo would be a good Olympics to do that, since the markets don't open till 9:30 our time, and there isn't much news going on overnight here in the states.