PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Media Updates

Well, it's gonna happen with these next Winter Olympic Games in this incredible versions. Might as well get started here even with Rio far more ahead of us.

The CBC in Canada announced days ago it's keep on keeping on with it as the headliner of the Canadian roster of media broadcasters for the not just the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics but also extending up to the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics with Bell Media (TSN/RDS) and Rogers again as Official Olympic Speciality Partners. Interesting here with this makeup are this CBC-led sports consortium, in the midst of budget cutbacks to CBC Sports stemming from the loss of Hockey Night In Canada that was a major source of its CBC Sports income and more from the government, will have the pick of the litter or first dibs on several Winter Olympic event faves to Canadians like surely the men's and women's gold medal hockey games, both ceremonies, and the figure skating free skates, followed in order by TSN, Sportsnet, TSN2, and Sportsnet ONE on the English side.

As Official Specialty Broadcast partners and longtime Canadian Olympic sports cable broadcasters since 1988, TSN/RDS will have first priority in all the Olympic events in the sublicensing. In additional to full events, highlights will be made available across TV broadcast, online/mobile, and radio platforms through its respective websites (CBC/SRC, TSN/RDS, and Rogers Sportsnet). Those 3 new additional channels TSN just created and premiered in September certainly will come in handy for use for not just Rio De Janeiro but also for PyeongChang and Tokyo. With that, TSN can perhaps devote a channel each for several sports during the Olympics instead of the same event through 4 channels while still offering the NBA and Toronto Raptors, for example. It's quite possible that RDS could devise a few more channels by then in emulating its English sis TSN to add with RDS, RDS2, and RDS INFO. If the French one falls in line like in the English, it'll be radio-Canada Television, RDS, RDS2, and RDS INFO.

Also, Quebecor Media's TVA Sports is not part of this, at least for now. I bring up TVA Sports because it holds the French-Canadian TV broadcast rights to the NHL and would possibly still like to get video access to the NHL on the national teams during the Olympics. If RDS does proceed with more channels in the in-between years, as I would expect, TVA Sports would not really be needed.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/125719/2018-2020-Olympics-on-CBC

https://cartt.ca/article/2018-and-2020-olympics-belong-cbc-%E2%80%93-help-rogers-and-bell-be-%E2%80%9Creverse%E2%80%9D-nhl-deal

With companion video of press conference at the Toronto CBC headquarters at the Barbara Frum Atrium with Scott Oake, Marie Josee (all in French), and CBC/Radio-Canada president Hubert Lacroix:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/cbc-rogers-partner-for-2018-2020-olympics/

TSN's take on it:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-rds-to-broadcast-2018-olympic-winter-games-and-2020-olympic-summer-games-1.118351

Yu Na Kim named ambassador for 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics

Olympic figure skating gold medallist Yuna Kim has been appointed as an official ambassador for the 2018 Winter Games in her native South Korea.

The organizing committee for the Pyeongchang Olympics announced the appointment Tuesday, saying it expected "her to take the lead in promoting the games to the world."

Kim, who won gold at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and silver at the 2014 Sochi Games, helped campaign for Pyeongchang during the city's candidacy and was one of the presenters for the city at the International Olympic Committee meeting in South Africa in 2011 when it was selected as host.

"The memories that I made with the bid committee are still fresh in my mind," Kim said. "With these memories in stow I am excited to bring the same passion and commitment with me to this new role with the organizing committee."

In a statement, the local organizing committee said Kim "will be a great asset as she will play a high-profile role promoting the games and engaging the public as she participates in major domestic and international events."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/yu-na-kim-named-ambassador-for-2018-pyeongchang-olympics-1.2823186

HJO9hnR.jpg

uFhkgXe.jpg

GXWFTe8.jpg

1q5BqB4.jpg

• 1 month later...

I wanna start by saying that this is not anything that I found online, but it might as well be true.

My dad, who is Japanese by the way, told me he read somewhere that since Pyeongchang is having a pretty hard time with, you know, inflating costs and such, the IOC is considering doing a co-hosting with Nagano so Pyeongchang doesn't have to build everything and then, even though they always say they will, never use them again.

Once again I have no idea if this is true, but it might as well be with this Agenda 2020 and don't spend money program the IOC is going with nowadays.

I wanna start by saying that this is not anything that I found online, but it might as well be true.

My dad, who is Japanese by the way, told me he read somewhere that since Pyeongchang is having a pretty hard time with, you know, inflating costs and such, the IOC is considering doing a co-hosting with Nagano so Pyeongchang doesn't have to build everything and then, even though they always say they will, never use them again.

Once again I have no idea if this is true, but it might as well be with this Agenda 2020 and don't spend money program the IOC is going with nowadays.

I believe I have to call BS on this one. You're saying it "might as well be true" based on something your Japanese dad told you? That he read "somewhere"? And you can't reference anything that's been mentioned online. Plus you're feeding us this line about Agenda 2020 as if somehow that's an explanation it could be true. Hardly.

As noted in the 2018 venues thread, all of the to-be-constructed venues have been started. And remember, unlike Sochi, there were already some venues in place, so it's not as if everything was build from scratch. If the IOC or the Korean organizers wanted to pull the plug or at least ask for assistance, they would have done so already. The time that would have made sense has passed.

If you can find more info with this, please share it with us. But I have a feeling your dad heard wrong.

Whenever I hear friends or other non "obsessed" people discussing the olympics, I tend to cringe at some of the outrageous misconceptions or statements that they make. i feel like your dad is just falling into that category. Anyone who is a strong follower of the olympics knows that this claim is silly.

Korea-Japan 2022 was the last time a major int'l sports event would be co-hosted by those 2 countries.

Ok, well that's one event, and probably the biggest money and space waster of any olympic sport. I could realistically see this happening.

That being said, I'm pretty sure construction has already started on PyeongChang's sliding centre.

It started last April according to the PyeongChang 2018 website

But it's still probably NOT past the point of just scrapping it and cutting your losses early since the long-range ill-effects or post non-use far outweigh the starting costs.

Does Korea even enter the 4-person bobsled teams....or are they going to have Jamaicans compete for them? :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Does Korea even enter the 4-person bobsled teams....or are they going to have Jamaicans compete for them? :lol::lol:

They did in Vancouver and Sochi, iirc.

And hey, if Canada can win a bobsleigh medal with a Jamaican on the sled then so can South Korea :P

South Korea sent two four-man teams in Sochi: Jun Jung-Lin, Seo Young-Woo, Suk Young-Jin, and Won Yun-jong (driver) for the Korea I and Kim Dong-Hyun (driver), Kim Kyung-Hyun, Kim Sik, and Oh Jea-Han for Korea II. The latter team was the sole one representing for South Korea.

But back to the Olympics broadcasting and other types of media. Just last week--a few days ago--China's CCTV wins the exclusive Chinese broadcast rights to the Olympics from the IOC starting from 2018 and all the way towards 2024 on TV (both free-to-air and subscription), online, and mobile in multiple language. Includes the Youth Olympic Games. Looks as though there will be multilingual coverage for the Chinese, at least online and mobile from 2018-2024:

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/51316/china-awarded-2018-2024-broadcasting-rights-by-ioc

South Korea sent two four-man teams in Sochi: Jun Jung-Lin, Seo Young-Woo, Suk Young-Jin, and Won Yun-jong (driver) for the Korea I and Kim Dong-Hyun (driver), Kim Kyung-Hyun, Kim Sik, and Oh Jea-Han for Korea II. The latter team was the sole one representing for South Korea.

But back to the Olympics broadcasting and other types of media. Just last week--a few days ago--China's CCTV wins the exclusive Chinese broadcast rights to the Olympics from the IOC starting from 2018 and all the way towards 2024 on TV (both free-to-air and subscription), online, and mobile in multiple language. Includes the Youth Olympic Games. Looks as though there will be multilingual coverage for the Chinese, at least online and mobile from 2018-2024:

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/51316/china-awarded-2018-2024-broadcasting-rights-by-ioc

CCTV "won" the rights. Wow, what a surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreeing to broadcast the YOG must have reduced the price they had to pay!

• 1 month later...

Just realized today that NBC is televising the Super Bowl in 2018, just 5 days before the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. It's gonna be interesting.

By my count, it's the 3rd time the network covering the Super Bowl also has that year's Winter Olympics..

ABC, Super Bowl XXII -> Calgary 1988

CBS, Super Bowl XXVI -> Albertville 1992

NBC, Super Bowl LII -> PC 2018

Ironically enough, the 2018 Super Bowl is in the same city as 1992: Minneapolis

The previous 2 instances had almost 2 weeks between the game and the start of the Olympics. It's a week shorter for NBC and a much longer trip. Interesting to note that CBS actually switched places with NBC to get the 1992 Super Bowl so they could use it to promote the Olympics. I had wondered if NBC would actually consider a switch OUT of that Super Bowl, but that's too perfect of an opportunity to have those 2 events so close together, even if it means that they need some of those people to essentially be in 2 places at once and for Bob Costas (among others) to head to Korea with a relatively short turn-around before the Opening Ceremony. It'll be a challenge to say the least.

• 4 months later...

Discovery Lands European Olympic Rights Through ’24

In a stunning development, Discovery Communications has landed Europe’s Olympic media rights through 2024 for $1.48 billion (€1.3 billion).

The U.S.-based Discovery now controls all European media rights – broadcast, pay-TV, digital and mobile – to four Olympic Games in 50 European countries and territories, excluding the Russian Federation. The deal takes effect with the 2018 Winter Games in PyeongChang.

Discovery and the International Olympic Committee agreed on the deal about a week ago. It was announced formally this morning and covers 2018 in South Korea and 2020 in Tokyo. Sites for the 2022 and 2024 Games have not been announced.

The deal means that European broadcasters – the ARD and ZDF in Germany, for example – will have to sublicense Olympic packages from Discovery if they want over-the-air access to the Games. Plus, it marks a major step forward for Discovery’s Eurosport channel and online presences, which will be a main outlet for Olympic programming.

The deal does not cover France and Britain in 2018 and 2020; previously, France Télévisions and the BBC picked up those rights. But Discovery will hold all rights in those markets in 2022 and 2024.

Another significant part of the deal will see the IOC partner on an Olympic TV channel with Discovery and Eurosport that will be distributed across Europe.

• 9 months later...

I'm not able to access the entire article, but according to this, all figure skating events in PyeongChang will start at 10:00am so they can be shown live in primetime in the U.S.:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/03/31/Olympics/PyeongChang-Figure-Skating.aspx

I'm a bit surprised at this--I figured NBC would allow the Koreans to have figure skating in their primetime since most of the alpine skiing and snowboarding events will surely take place during U.S. primetime (10am-2pm Korean time). Taped figure skating can always be inserted in primetime when there are weather delays or cancellations to other events. I hope we'll still get complete coverage of skating on NBCSN like we did in 2014 and not just the 8-10 skaters that NBC decides to show.

I'm not able to access the entire article, but according to this, all figure skating events in PyeongChang will start at 10:00am so they can be shown live in primetime in the U.S.:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/03/31/Olympics/PyeongChang-Figure-Skating.aspx

I'm a bit surprised at this--I figured NBC would allow the Koreans to have figure skating in their primetime since most of the alpine skiing and snowboarding events will surely take place during U.S. primetime (10am-2pm Korean time). Taped figure skating can always be inserted in primetime when there are weather delays or cancellations to other events. I hope we'll still get complete coverage of skating on NBCSN like we did in 2014 and not just the 8-10 skaters that NBC decides to show.

NBC doesn't have final say in the schedule. You had to figure they were going to ask for figure skating in US primetime. But I'm guessing they figured they wouldn't get it, especially with the sport's emerging popularity in Asia. So yea, I'm surprised at this one too.

Sounds like this could be messier than the 2008 morning swimming finals (which based on the number of world records set in Beijing was a total non-factor in performance). It's not like they can warm up the night before, so there will be some earlier morning wake-up calls for the skaters and it seems like more than a few of them are not happy.

And you're fooling yourself if you think figure skating will be covered in full on NBCSN if it's on during NBC primetime. I had figured the timing would lend itself well to what NBComcast did during Sochi where they could have NBCSN cover all the figure skating live with NBC showing it on tape in primetime. That won't be happening now. I just hope NBC doesn't short-change other events as a result, particularly ones like the alpine races that will likely get coverage in primetime. I'm no fan of figure skating, but let's hope they utilize NBCSN better than to show what's already going to be on NBC.

And here's the full article, which isn't that much longer..

Figure Skating At 2018 Olympics To Take Place In Mornings To Help Accommodate NBC

By my count, it's the 3rd time the network covering the Super Bowl also has that year's Winter Olympics..

ABC, Super Bowl XXII -> Calgary 1988

CBS, Super Bowl XXVI -> Albertville 1992

NBC, Super Bowl LII -> PC 2018

Ironically enough, the 2018 Super Bowl is in the same city as 1992: Minneapolis

The previous 2 instances had almost 2 weeks between the game and the start of the Olympics. It's a week shorter for NBC and a much longer trip. Interesting to note that CBS actually switched places with NBC to get the 1992 Super Bowl so they could use it to promote the Olympics. I had wondered if NBC would actually consider a switch OUT of that Super Bowl, but that's too perfect of an opportunity to have those 2 events so close together, even if it means that they need some of those people to essentially be in 2 places at once and for Bob Costas (among others) to head to Korea with a relatively short turn-around before the Opening Ceremony. It'll be a challenge to say the least.

yeah i remember that Frank Gifford and Al Michaels went to Calgary as soon as the Super Bowl was over so Costas could do the same..

yeah i remember that Frank Gifford and Al Michaels went to Calgary as soon as the Super Bowl was over so Costas could do the same..

"One of these things is not like the other.."

Super Bowl XXII (in 1988) - January 31st

Start of the 1988 Olympics - February 13th

Super Bowl LII (tentative) - February 4th

Start of the 2018 Olympics - February 9th

And it should go without saying that Minneapolis to Calgary is a somewhat shorter flight than Minneapolis to Seoul (plus the trip from there to Pyoengchang). So yea, this is nothing like what Michaels and Gifford did. That's going to be a tough transition for NBC staffers to go from 1 event to the other, to say nothing of all the prep time required in both places. Costas is likely going to have to go to Korea, come back to the states for the Super Bowl, then go back to Korea. And he won't be alone. I'd imagine there will be a massive charter flight leaving from Minneapolis going to Korea the day after the Super Bowl ends and they're all going to have to get over their jet lag real quick in order to be ready for the Olympics.

• 6 months later...