Self improvement

Hello people I want to improve myself I know my spelling and grammar is not that great due to my dyslexia next year I am doing an course in academic writing at university to improve myself.

What do you think I should do and improve myself on hear? I want to improve myself and got an life mentor now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello people I want to improve myself I know my spelling and grammar is not that great due to my dyslexia next year I am doing an course in academic writing at university to improve myself.

What do you think I should do and improve myself on hear? I want to improve myself and got an life mentor now.

Stop endless repeating of points that have been countered numerous times before.

Or engage in substantial discussions answering these counter arguments.

Dyslexia is one thing, not listening is something different.

Academic writing also means respecting the context and knowing your audience. Including all of the above, and probably below, I would ask that you respect the context of Olympic bids by assuming that we all know in which country a bidding city is located, and to know your audience of fellow forum members who (mostly) like to have discussions that remain fairly concrete and evidence based - much like academic writing in general.

I do sincerely hope that you can improve, because as I read these forums, your ideas and your manner of treating people leave much to be desired. That being said, you aren't the only one, so it will take some fortitude on your part not to get sucked into arguments with those other members and stoop to that level again.

GCL, kudos to you for posting this. I have a great amount of respect for you that you are looking to improve yourself and are asking or helping (and wish a certain other poster here would do the same). 2 pieces of advice I have for you..

1) Whenever you post, re-read what you have at least once before you hit the Post button. Double-checking what you're about to say will probably help you catch some spelling/grammar errors and if nothing else, it's good practice for you to see what you've typed.

2) As noted, you tend to have some really far out there ideas. Again, think to yourself if you're adding an opinion or a thought to the conversation that others will find interesting or useful. Or are you just posting an old thought that you don't need to repeat. We've all done it before, myself included, and I think it's probably a good lesson for all of us.

omg yes to point no. 1. reread everything you write before you post like a billion times, and then reread it like ten more times after you post it, and whenever you scroll past one of your own posts reread it again, in case it was a particularly good quip. oh, and reread it every time someone 'likes' it (this last piece of advice maybe isn't all that relative to you). whenever someone quotes you, reread the post then, too.

also, show anyone you're dating your funniest gamesbids posts when drunk, and also when drinking and no one else is around, search your own posts and reread the gems. "zing, take that faster" is always a pick me up to an otherwise slow night after a bubble bath with a bottle of cab.

From a troll standpoint, you need to make your posts a bit more believable. Right now they are too obvious.

I second this.

omg yes to point no. 1. reread everything you write before you post like a billion times, and then reread it like ten more times after you post it, and whenever you scroll past one of your own posts reread it again, in case it was a particularly good quip. oh, and reread it every time someone 'likes' it (this last piece of advice maybe isn't all that relative to you). whenever someone quotes you, reread the post then, too.

also, show anyone you're dating your funniest gamesbids posts when drunk, and also when drinking and no one else is around, search your own posts and reread the gems. "zing, take that faster" is always a pick me up to an otherwise slow night after a bubble bath with a bottle of cab.

Just YES on so many levels.

GCL, kudos to you for posting this. I have a great amount of respect for you that you are looking to improve yourself and are asking or helping (and wish a certain other poster here would do the same). 2 pieces of advice I have for you..

1) Whenever you post, re-read what you have at least once before you hit the Post button. Double-checking what you're about to say will probably help you catch some spelling/grammar errors and if nothing else, it's good practice for you to see what you've typed.

2) As noted, you tend to have some really far out there ideas. Again, think to yourself if you're adding an opinion or a thought to the conversation that others will find interesting or useful. Or are you just posting an old thought that you don't need to repeat. We've all done it before, myself included, and I think it's probably a good lesson for all of us.

It's so obvious that was meant for Me. Don't ever act like a neutral peace maker again, because remarks like that, cause arguments. With the and wish a certain other poster here would do the same, was obviously meant for Me.

^ At least GCL made a step forward and asked for advice what/how to change.

You only ever take the lazy route of telling us we just have to accept your OCD and you don't show interest in actively tackling it.

Yeah, because You don't live with OCD, so You don't live with the difficulties. You all think it's as easy as reading some advice and beating OCD within an hour. Not possible.

It's so obvious that was meant for Me. Don't ever act like a neutral peace maker again, because remarks like that, cause arguments. With the and wish a certain other poster here would do the same, was obviously meant for Me.

Is it that obvious? Good.. I was trying to make it obvious without mentioning your name. And no Tony, I'm not trying to make peace here. You know why I'm praising GCL for this thread? Because he's admitting that he has shortcomings, but that he would like to improve himself. Rarely do we get that sense from you. With you, it's almost always "please understand I have these problems and accept me for who I am." You constantly feel the need to end your posts with "please don't have a go at me" as if you know you're doing something you shouldn't and yet you do it anyway, but we should be okay with it. It's like person who prefaces a statement with "No offense, but.." and then says something they know is offensive.

Most of us have given up trying to teach you any good sense. You don't seem to care anymore, so I think it's funny when you're making a demand of me if I'm supposed to care. All of us have given you numerous opportunities for a second chance and to redeem your reputation here and every single time out, you demonstrate that you haven't earned that respect and don't seem to care. If you're going to continue to act like an immature child, you will be treating like an immature child. I agree 100% with Stefan.. learn to take responsibility for yourself. We understand that there are things you can't control, but if you're not going to make any attempt to learn and grow up, you will get little if any sympathy from the rest of us here and whether you like it or not, deal with it.

Yeah, because You don't live with OCD, so You don't live with the difficulties. You all think it's as easy as reading some advice and beating OCD within an hour. Not possible.

That's not it, Tony. You continue to aggravate others here with your posts. You know it and you don't seem to care. If you made an attempt (and you have in very small doses) to tell us you are trying to overcome your difficulties, most of us here would respect you for it. Instead, you continue to use it as an excuse for your behavior and expect you to support you because of it.

No, it isn't. But for almost a year you are hiding behind it whenever someone criticises you, that's your way of avoiding substantiated debate or facing up to some statement of yours being proven totally wrong.

We all know you have OCD. And of course it's not easy to live with it. But at some point, it should be in your own interest not to accept it like that and do as much as possible to limit/overcome it. Incessantly posting meaningless blabla on here and then asking us all just to accept it won't help you beating OCD. That is something you have to realise.

There's no use Quaker. He won't listen.

And Tony, I hope you do realize that your posting ban will NEVER be lifted. It was all a well-played strategy by the mod to keep you from being banned and to appease everyone else. He never had any intention of a "temporary" punishment, and I think that's pretty easy to tell.

There's no use Quaker. He won't listen.

And Tony, I hope you do realize that your posting ban will NEVER be lifted. It was all a well-played strategy by the mod to keep you from being banned and to appease everyone else. He never had any intention of a "temporary" punishment, and I think that's pretty easy to tell.

Well, You don't read mine and GBMod's PM's, so I think that would say something different.

BTW, this was started by GCL asking for advice. Instead, it's turning into another "all about Tony" thread...

Blame Quaker, for making a remark. You lot didn't have to reply to my reply, so You lot have made it into that Thread.

I Quoted Quaker, You Quoted me Stefan. Look in the mirror. Quaker and You turned this thread off topic. If Quaker's going to make a remark about Me, I will reply to it. Why should I do anything to Please You lot. The second I came to these Forums I wasn't given a fair chance, only a few People on here have understood Me and gave me a fair chance, just to name a few (Rob, CAF, Yoshi and Davey). So why should I try and Please people that give me no understanding and instead say "You need to improve Your OCD and stop annoying People". I was 16 when I joined these Forums (I'm 17 now). So, I lived with OCD for 16 Years before I came here, so if there was a chance of improving my OCD or curing my OCD, I would have done it.

1: Block Tony. Every thread it seems ends up between you two arguing

2: Why not take a break from the forums until you feel your dyslexia has improved? I'm not saying you have to for our sakes but sometimes worrying about what people will think of your dyslexia will actually exacerbate it.

Stay out of it and mind Your own business. You can block Me, but stop posting for everybody else to block Me. They have there own mind, without having to listen to You.

Ive been reading the advice and thank you for the feedback I will working on it, It may not come right away but I will be working on step progress to help to get better.

I agree we should stop arguing for the sake of ourselves and the Forums.

Archived