Favorite Top 12 Ceremonial Moments/Sequences

Barcelona Lighting Cauldron.

Athens Welcome to the World lighting the fire rings on the pond and Bouzouki band.

Italian National Anthem in Turin.

Misha's Good Bye segment at Moscow Luzhniki Stadium

The Old Wild West Chariots segments in L.A.

The Chorus Performance Ode of Joy linking the World in Nagano.

"XXV Anniversary" Performance by Angelo Badalamenti remembering all Olympic Cities from 1896 to 1992 in Barcelona.

The Giant Olympic Rings Balloon floating on Mexico City's Olympic Stadium.

The SLC handover in Nagano.

The Martial Nazi propaganda segment in Berlin.

Jose Carreras and Monserrat Caballé performance "Amics per Sempre".

The Aquatic Han river parade of Seoul.

The transition from Tsarist era to the Communist one in Sochi.

Personal taste, I guess.

Personally, and bias aside, I thought Sydney was quite emotional, in the sense that it was quite raw and honest. Australia is a tough, harsh and ungorgiving environment and I think it relayed that extremely well. The sunburnt country, brought to life.

It was also a product of the time - when there had been a cultural revision of our history. We were coming to terms with our mistakes and that came throught in certain elements, maybe not enough.

Australia is a fast growing, changing place. If we hosted again, it would be an interesting opportunity to build on the narrative from 2000.

I guess Sydney was the last in a particular era of stadium theatre, things became a little more abstract after Sydney and Salt Lake.

Sydney also had the benefit of being able to go in any direction to present itself to a world which to a large degree didn't know much about it.

This was a benefit and curse of London and Melbourne perhaps.

The world was well aware of British history and London, and likewise, the Commonwealth has been well introduced to Australia and even Melbourne.

I suppose the ceremonies team decided then to go down a far more conceptual angle, with London deciding to base their ceremonies around their history of revolutions, as opposed to history.

Melbourne, decided to go for those more unique and quirky things that they see to be in Melbourne, much of it reminded me of of most of their promotional work here in New Zealand.

An audience which doesn't want a wo to go history of the city, but is more interested in trams, the laneways, the food, the culture etc etc.

While Melbourne may not have been the favourite for many in terms of contents, you'd be doing it tough to find a better produced show I think.

Pretty fair call, I'd say.

I think if Melbourne had hosted in 1996 more thought would have been given toward narrative and knitting the city's history into the Australian story - and as your point out, the 1850s Gold Rush (one of biggest ever up with California) would be a big moment --- potentially something extremely spectacular could be drawn out of it too (I'm thinking an Australian Pandemonium) Sydney went there a little bit with the industrialisation theme following British arrival... but the gold rush itself, told from the Melbourne perspective would be magic. I think the gold rush was a notably absent from Sydney's ceremony, only because it would probably be veering too far "south of the border" - it was Sydney's moment after all. There were some Victorian elements thought, Ned Kelly being the notable one.

If Melbourne did host 1996, I would have expected some homage to the iconic W class tram. Perhaps not flying at the start of the ceremony, but going into the MCG on ground level on "tracks", perhaps these "tracks" would serve for a float parade later in the Opening Ceremony.

So we could have seen the following:

- Tram arrival

- Welcome from the people of Melbourne and Australia

- Australian anthem "Advance Australia Fair"

- Indigenous welcome and the story of John Batman's settlement in Melbourne

- The Gold Rush and the Hoddle Street Grid (The discovery of gold, the rush itself, and the formation of the

- The growth of Marvelous Melbourne (Arts, science and other forms of culture that helped shape Melbourne to what it is today)

- The story of Federation (The story of the birth of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901)

- A remembrance to both World War 1 and 2 (Showcasing the sacrifices of Australians in uniform)

- Immigrant Australia (Showcasing multicultural Australia which became more prominent post World War 2)

- The Ancient Olympics (A homage to the ancient games)

- Past Olympics, stopping at the 1956 Olympics for an extended segment, following to the 1992 Olympics and bits of the handover ceremony (The formation of the games by Baron Pierre de Coubertin)

- Arrival of the Athletes

- Speeches, official opening

- Arrival of the Olympic flag and Olympic anthem

- Peace segment

- Olympic oaths

- The Olympic torch and cauldron lighting

- Theme song

- Fireworks

For the closing:

- Revisiting the past 16 days

- Showcase of Melbourne arts, music, theatre and cuisine and architecture

- Famous Melbournians and Australians as well as Melbourne in TV and film (I could have expected the likes of Malcolm and his separating yellow car make an entrance and say a Neighbours segment)

- Australian inventions

- Aussie sport (particularly the popular Australian Rules Football and Melbourne Cup)

- Athlete arrival

- Speeches, official closing

- Lowering of the Olympic Flag

- Handover segment

- Extinguishing the flame

- Concert of Australian music acts

- The theme song one more time

- Fireworks

Perhaps I got some of the official protocol mixed up but you get the idea.

That's some extensive speculation there, friend!

Thank goodness for Sydney 2000 actually happening to ground us in reality... ;)

Well what else would one have done with Melbourne during 1996? Maybe the advent of the new (back then) Internet could have played prominence in the Opening Ceremony in some way as well.

- the Chinese printing blocks segment in Beijing

- Klypsedra, Athens

- the undersea portion of Sydney

- Pendemonium, London

- the Beijing segment with the giant oars

- Advance Australia Fair, Sydney - such a great song

- the Cirque de Soleil-like segment with the bungee cords, Albertville

- cauldron lighting, Barcelona

- projection trick, Atlanta

- athletes parade, Torino (they marched in to a long segment of classic 70's disco; I thought it was cool retro fun)

I need to add an 11th - the cauldron lighting in Sydney

Now that you mention the rendition of Advance Australia Fair in 2000 - I liked the first section... The second verses with Human Nature was a bit off, even at the time.

I love that during the Olympics, you become familiar with the host nation anathem. I loved Star Spangled Banner in the Atlanta opening... And the Greek anthem in Athens (wow)

Now that you mention the rendition of Advance Australia Fair in 2000 - I liked the first section... The second verses with Human Nature was a bit off, even at the time.

I love that during the Olympics, you become familiar with the host nation anathem. I loved Star Spangled Banner in the Atlanta opening... And the Greek anthem in Athens (wow)

Advance Australia Fair is a lame anthem, but the 2000 Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony rendition by Julie Anthony (after the Human Nature, start) was a beautiful rendition of an otherwise boring anthem.

The Star Spangled Banner was more better in the Salt Lake City Opening Ceremony when sung by the world renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir, as opposed to the Centennial Choir made specifically for Atlanta 1996, to commemorate the Centennial Olympics.

O Canada is a great anthem, that was unfortunately a letdown in both renditions (Opening and Closing Ceremonies) during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

"Advance, Australia Fair" from 2000 and this one from Torino are my best OC national anthem moments. This one particularly because TRE FRATELLI is such a martial, masculine song and then to have a little girl sing it, was just brilliant!!

That is the one I said before I like as part of the host nation protocol. The best ever. Sochi was as nice as this one too.

Advance Australia Fair is a lame anthem, but the 2000 Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony rendition by Julie Anthony (after the Human Nature, start) was a beautiful rendition of an otherwise boring anthem.

The Star Spangled Banner was more better in the Salt Lake City Opening Ceremony when sung by the world renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir, as opposed to the Centennial Choir made specifically for Atlanta 1996, to commemorate the Centennial Olympics.

O Canada is a great anthem, that was unfortunately a letdown in both renditions (Opening and Closing Ceremonies) during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

I think we have an amazing anthem in AAF. One of our few national protocols we get right (compared to, say, our archaic flag).

And I stand corrected: Julie Anthony followed Human Nature with the second verses of AAF in 2000. She was brilliant - Human Nature not so much. (The only "this is not the NRL Grand Final" moment of the Opening Ceremony)

AAF sounded like it was written for Julie Anthony to sing!!

Actually, even well before the games that was what she was best known for. Sort of our unofficial official anthem singer. She'd even get hired for corporate events (I'd been to a few myself) where her repertoire wouldn't be complete if she didn't sing it.

Actually, even well before the games that was what she was best known for. Sort of our unofficial official anthem singer. She'd even get hired for corporate events (I'd been to a few myself) where her repertoire wouldn't be complete if she didn't sing it.

There was a joke going around that Julie Anthony was the only person who knew the words to AAF, that's why she was always hired to sing it!

Obviously, Always Look on the Bright Side was an oldie, as were almost all songs in the CC, but they didn't reprise the original visuals.

Yeah, but I was hoping posters would pick moments that were totally original in conception rather than just re-hashed material for which, of course you create a whole new production look. That was the small distinction I was trying to make.

Yeah, but I was hoping posters would pick moments that were totally original in conception rather than just re-hashed material for which, of course you create a whole new production look. That was the small distinction I was trying to make.

Fair enough. Then again, it would have been a pretty memorable ceremony moment if they had reprised the original visuals for Bright Side !

Archived