Chile, Argentina and New Zealand are the only countries south of the equator that have the right climate and winter sports infrastructure for hosting a Winter Games. (I'm not sure Australia has regulation height ski mountains with reliable snow cover.) But, regardless of climate and infrastructure, the IOC would be ensuring itself the least-watched Winter Games ever if it decided to run a winter sports festival while the northern hemisphere is spending its days at the beach.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some somewhat educated speculation/wishful thinging:

Summer Games:

2024 San Francisco 2028 Berlin 2032 Durban 2036 Madrid 2040 Istambul 2044 Melbourne 2048 New York City 2052 Amsterdam 2056 Shanghai 2060 Budapest 2064 Buenos Aires 2068 Toronto 2072 Kiev 2076 Boston 2080 Seoul 2084 Kuala Lumpur 2088 Nairobi 2092 St. Petersburg 2096 Stockholm 2100 London

Winter Games:

2022 Almaty 2026 Munich 2030 Oslo 2034 Krakow 2038 Denver 2042 St. Moritz 2046 Harbin 2050 Sofia 2054 Helsinki 2058 Sapporo 2062 Poprad 2066 Anchorage 2070 Salzburg 2074 Annecy 2078 Turin 2082 Calgary 2086 Minsk 2090 Jaca 2094 Borjomi 2098 Minneapolis

Summer Games:

2024 San Francisco 2028 Berlin 2032 Durban 2036 Madrid 2040 Istambul 2044 Melbourne 2048 New York City 2052 Amsterdam 2056 Shanghai 2060 Budapest 2064 Buenos Aires 2068 Toronto 2072 Kiev 2076 Boston 2080 Seoul 2084 Kuala Lumpur 2088 Nairobi 2092 St. Petersburg 2096 Stockholm 2100 London

Winter Games:

2022 Almaty 2026 Munich 2030 Oslo 2034 Krakow 2038 Denver 2042 St. Moritz 2046 Harbin 2050 Sofia 2054 Helsinki 2058 Sapporo 2062 Poprad 2066 Anchorage 2070 Salzburg 2074 Annecy 2078 Turin 2082 Calgary 2086 Minsk 2090 Jaca 2094 Borjomi 2098 Minneapolis

hahahaha, you call Almaty 2022 and 2024 San Francisco educated? We don't even know who is bidding for 2024 and you're already calling out hosts for 2100.

Not to mention the US hosts six times? Eight if you count Atlanta '96 and SLC 2002. That is a ridiculous amount.

Not to mention the US hosts six times? Eight if you count Atlanta '96 and SLC 2002. That is a ridiculous amount.

Well, historically, for the Winter Games, it's been about an average of four Games between Games in the US. Taking 2002 into account, it will have been 8 Games between that and my hypothetical Denver 2038. I also wanted to have NYC host finally, and also Boston in 2076 (timed to US 300th Anniversay), but that one can be left off I suppose.

Well I'd prefer Almaty over Beijing and in 2024 it will have been 28 years since Atlanta in 1996, so it's USA's time, and San Francisco is more appealing than the others currently in the running.

You may prefer it, but that does not mean they will host, Beijing is the preferred option of the IOC. Sure 2024 will be almost thirty years since Atlanta 1996, but again that does not mean we will host. There are many different elements including what our opposition is and who our candidate is which I assure is very unlikely to be San Francisco. It does not matter if San Francisco is the ideal US host city if they do not have a plan that works.

Well, historically, for the Winter Games, it's been about an average of four Games between Games in the US. Taking 2002 into account, it will have been 8 Games between that and my hypothetical Denver 2038. I also wanted to have NYC host finally, and also Boston in 2076 (timed to US 300th Anniversay), but that one can be left off I suppose.

That was before the rest of the world became developed. Now you have Asia, Europe, and the America's all capable of hosting the winter games which means that there will be less US hosts. And we have no idea that NYC even wants the games, especially when the city is way above hosting the games and lost in 2005. Also, in case you have never noticed the world hates the US so why would they let us glorify the nation during our 300th Anniversary on the worlds stage?

Maybe I'm being a bit hard on you, if so I'm sorry.

Summer Games:

Winter Games:

I'd call that more wishful thinking than educated guessing. It's difficult to project out Olympic hosts 8 years from now, much less 80 years. I do agree with bernham though that you seem to be over-selling the United States here. Just because they've gotten a lot of Olympics in the past doesn't mean that trend will continue, particularly with more countries (and continents) on the Olympic map.

And I am curious about 1 thing.. is there a reason that Paris isn't anywhere on here? Do you think that they will not host an Olympics at all in the 21st century or is that simply an oversight?

With the new IOC rules we can make new combos between countries and cities.

2022 - Please something else than Almaty or Beijing

2024 - Boston or Paris

2026 - Sweden or Switzerland or Austria or Norway or France or Germany.

2028 - Europe or USA

2030 - Canada

2032 - South Africa or Brisbane-Gold coast

2024-beijing

2028-shanghai

2032-nanjing

2036-shenzen

2040-gaungzhou

2044-chengdu

2048-qingdao

2052-xi'an

2056-tianjin

2060-wuhan

2066-shantou

2070-dongguan

2076-shenyang

2080-chongqing

2084-wenzhou

2088-harbin

2092-hangzhou

2096-jinan

2100-urumqi

because f you

Why not multi-national bids?

2024 - Canada and America

2028 - European Union

2032 - Australia and New Zealand

2036 - South Africa and China (financial support)

Better question.. why multi-national bids? Why is that necessary simply because Agenda 2020 allows for it? Canada and the United States bidding together? Does that give either side a better shot at winning? I personally don't think so.

Better question.. why multi-national bids? Why is that necessary simply because Agenda 2020 allows for it? Canada and the United States bidding together? Does that give either side a better shot at winning? I personally don't think so.

Multi-national bids are put in place only for countries that cannot host by themselves. Both Canada and the USA have hosted multiple times by themselves, which will lead the IOC to ask why are you bidding together?

I'd call that more wishful thinking than educated guessing. It's difficult to project out Olympic hosts 8 years from now, much less 80 years. I do agree with bernham though that you seem to be over-selling the United States here. Just because they've gotten a lot of Olympics in the past doesn't mean that trend will continue, particularly with more countries (and continents) on the Olympic map.

And I am curious about 1 thing.. is there a reason that Paris isn't anywhere on here? Do you think that they will not host an Olympics at all in the 21st century or is that simply an oversight?

while you're all commenting on the US hostings, the most ridiculous thing in these lists to me is Munich 26/Berlin 28

That's definitely an oversight in both cases on my part, a product of having a lot of cities and countries I'd like to see host an Olympics.

Maybe we could do a vote or a tournament and rank the top 50 cities we all would like to host an Olympics,

That's definitely an oversight in both cases on my part, a product of having a lot of cities and countries I'd like to see host an Olympics.

Maybe we could do a vote or a tournament and rank the top 50 cities we all would like to host an Olympics,

Well in that case I think there is nothing wrong with a little day dreaming. That would be fun to vote on or rank, but then again this is not skyscraper city.

Agenda 2020 doesn't really allow it. It still states under "extenuating circumstances". Which quite frankly, I don't see what the big deal is, when already in the Olympic Charter, it already states as such. So what's really the big revelation here that the IOC is trying to pull, besides none.

Agenda 2020 doesn't really allow it. It still states under "extenuating circumstances". Which quite frankly, I don't see what the big deal is, when already in the Olympic Charter, it already states as such. So what's really the big revelation here that the IOC is trying to pull, besides none.

I think to make it more obvious. It did state it previously...but it was like it was hidden and then, applied only to the Winter Games. Now, it's in the open and there's more leeway. So even maybe a Budapest/Hungary bid could have fruition if they know they can borrow a lake in Switzerland or say the Adriatic for the sailing events; etc.,

What baron said. I agree with you that it's probably a lot of lip service, but given all the European cities/countries that balked at the 2022 bidding, any small change (even if it only registers on the surface) that might draw them back in might be useful. Maybe it won't be enough for anyone to see wholesale changes, but that this is still the IOC we're talking about, is that really surprising?

What baron said. I agree with you that it's probably a lot of lip service, but given all the European cities/countries that balked at the 2022 bidding, any small change (even if it only registers on the surface) that might draw them back in might be useful. Maybe it won't be enough for anyone to see wholesale changes, but that this is still the IOC we're talking about, is that really surprising?

The first one of these cities that comes to mind is Krakow which was the only bidder that actually proposed events to be held in a neighboring country.

Southeast Asian Olympics possible after IOC reforms

(Reuters) - Indonesia are optimistic about bringing the Olympics to Southeast Asia in collaboration with one of their neighbours after the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) revamp of the bidding and hosting processes.

Earlier this month, IOC members voted to allow multiple cities and countries to host events at future Games, one of a number of sweeping reforms to the Olympic movement brought by President Thomas Bach.

Changes were also approved to reduce costs for potential bidders, with prospective candidates allowed to discuss plans with the IOC before formally launching a bid after a troublesome 2022 Olympic race led to six runners withdrawing citing finances.

"We strongly support these proposals and are very optimistic about hosting the Olympics in ASEAN in the future," Indonesia's Olympic Committee president Rita Subowo told Singapore's Straits Times newspaper on Tuesday.

"All the potential is there if we can overcome certain limitations.

"The IOC has very high standards and it's hard to built 20 plus world-class facilities from scratch. Hence, having it spread across two countries makes it more realistic in terms of costs."

Japan, South Korea and China are the only Asian nations to host the Summer or Winter Olympics, but the Qatari capital of Doha has bid for the last two Summer Games and declared its intention to try again for 2024.

That is the next opportunity for a Southeast Asian bid although whether the IOC would be willing to go back to Asia again after South Korea's Pyeongchang host the 2018 Winter Games and Tokyo the 2020 Summer Olympics seems unlikely.

Thai IOC member Nat Indrapana saw other issues.

"Co-hosting in principle is a good idea but the practical implementation of this proposal also creates a lot of other problems," he told the paper.

"With two countries involved, who gets what can become an issue."

Whether the IOC would trust any of the 11 Southeast Asian nations to work together or individually is an issue.

Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia came together to host the 2007 Asian Cup soccer tournament in Southeast Asia, but then Asian Football Confederation President Mohammed bin Hammam said after it was a mistake to do so.

Vietnam are unlikely to be involved in an Olympic bid after they pulled out of hosting the 2019 Asian Games earlier this year citing costs, with Indonesia stepping in to take over.

Singapore hosted the inaugural Youth Olympics in 2010 and has just opened a $1 billion Sports Hub but would rely on the much larger Indonesia, Thailand or Malaysia to host the bulk of the sports.

Reuters

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/16/uk-olympics-asean-idUKKBN0JU0Z820141216

• 4 weeks later...

Archived